Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 09-26-2017, 7:32 AM

Default 22 LR Swing Targets Ban at Shooting Ranges?

First, started Metallic Silhouettes back in the early 80's both big and small bore.
Now to my _itch.. Shooting Ranges here in the 3 Counties have banned small bore swingers and offering paper targets with holes to accept clay pigeons.
Now to my point. I've always been a promoter for "Young Starters" into a great sport, but now...the Kids I take to the range are bored sick having to shoot out the clay and wait until line break.
I've taken this issue to Range Masters with them saying it's LEO's telling them no metal swingers..in case of fire?
Lead bullets don't cause sparks is my reply..but what more can I tell them?

Thank you for your time..my worries shooting sports will not be carried?
Old 09-26-2017, 7:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfTrap View Post
First, started Metallic Silhouettes back in the early 80's both big and small bore.
Now to my _itch.. Shooting Ranges here in the 3 Counties have banned small bore swingers and offering paper targets with holes to accept clay pigeons.
Now to my point. I've always been a promoter for "Young Starters" into a great sport, but now...the Kids I take to the range are bored sick having to shoot out the clay and wait until line break.
I've taken this issue to Range Masters with them saying it's LEO's telling them no metal swingers..in case of fire?
Lead bullets don't cause sparks is my reply..but what more can I tell them?

Thank you for your time..my worries shooting sports will not be carried?
You didn't mention the distance.

=8-|
Old 09-26-2017, 8:26 AM
YOU are next!!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

It's true. Some ranges won't allow metal due to sparks and potential fires
Old 09-26-2017, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Might have something too do with ricochets. Some years back I welded up a batch of steel swing targets to use with our SKSs. I used 5/8" thick discs since that was the minimum thickness required to stop a 7.62x39. Well on one outing we shot them with a 22 and found that if you hit them on just the right angle while swinging the bullet would come right back at you...Needless to say,we don't shoot them with 22s anymore
Old 09-26-2017, 11:10 AM

The Dillman Range in Lincoln lets you put out steel right in front of the berm. For pistols and .22 that is at 50 yds and for rifles 100 yds. They don't allow steel core or steel jacket ammo currently because of the fire danger. They also have steel hanging at 200 and 300 yds.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:32 AM

Oak tree gun club has a nice steel pistol range, they also have steel rifle out to 100 yards as well.
Old 09-26-2017, 7:22 PM
Veteran Member

Lytle Creek allows them but they have to be 18" off the ground, and at the 50 yd line or further. I asked the range master and he said due to liability because people would complain about light ricochets.
Old 10-03-2017, 7:53 PM

Oak Tree only allows pistols on the steel range, not even 22 rifles due to the ricochets they were noticing.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:13 AM

Burro Canyon, in the private bays, forbids any metal in the target or target stand. I've seen the RO remove a target stand because it was held together with a C-clamp, or because a wooden stand had a metal base 3" tall.

I always wonder how long it will be before they go after staples.

Use and share my free target for the Pistol Marksman test of the Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program.
Old 10-07-2017, 9:44 PM
Cry Havok!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatGuy View Post
Burro Canyon, in the private bays, forbids any metal in the target or target stand. I've seen the RO remove a target stand because it was held together with a C-clamp, or because a wooden stand had a metal base 3" tall.

Ome of the reasons i stopped going to burro.
That and the space shuttle door gunner rsos
"Para ser libre, un hombre debe tener tres cosas, la tierra, una educacion y un fusil. Siempre un fusil ! (To be free, a man must have three things; land, an education and a rifle. Always a rifle)" -Emiliano Zapata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Of course they are in free territory where they can pick up ammunition at the local 5 and dime without going through a criminal background check. All we get is legalized pot.
Old 10-09-2017, 2:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don the savage View Post
Ome of the reasons i stopped going to burro.
That and the space shuttle door gunner rsos
Hey, you know they're the elite of the elite, right?

Yeaj, I haven't been to Burro in about 5 years due to the ridiculous overcrowding. We had a 1 hour waiting list last time I was there, but the RSOs were not properly policing the "list" and I noticed some folks who had come later than us were up and shooting before we were assigned a table.

When I complained about it, they basically shrugged and said "Oh well, sucks to be you!"

No thanks. I'll take my business elsewhere.
Old 10-09-2017, 2:33 PM
YOU are next!!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Burro is a joke. Cancelled my membership years ago and have never been back.
Old 10-09-2017, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatGuy View Post

Thats why i dont bother going there went a few years ago with family and i basically was out of luck on targets couldnt even use some plywood i had to staple a target on it because the wood would splinter.
Old 10-09-2017, 9:04 PM
Veteran Member

Sac Valley has a dedicated .22lr range with tons of steel targets at 25 and 50 yards.
Wife and I have shot thousands of rounds there with nary a ricochet. It is great fun. If that range was eliminated, it would be a travesty.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman View Post
Might have something too do with ricochets. Some years back I welded up a batch of steel swing targets to use with our SKSs. I used 5/8" thick discs since that was the minimum thickness required to stop a 7.62x39. Well on one outing we shot them with a 22 and found that if you hit them on just the right angle while swinging the bullet would come right back at you...Needless to say,we don't shoot them with 22s anymore
Nice to know. Thanks for sharing! I'm looking at taking out 6 nieces and nephews to some BLM land to introduce them to shooting, and I don't need any of them getting hurt, or worse.
Old 10-10-2017, 9:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Use whatever on BLM land, if it's open. Pray for rain.