Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2017, 10:45 AM

Default is WILD SPORTS going out of business?

the last couple times I have been there, it's always empty? business seems to be very slow there compared to other shops?

and they are closing out hunting clothing , fishing gear, it looks like they may be going out of business?

plus they require a coupon to buy ammo on special / sale
Old 07-14-2017, 6:20 PM
Veteran Member

Same as it ever was. This is how Wild Sports does business. They get overloaded with customers at times and its a ghost town other times. They do a lot of business. They are clearing out old inventory. The coupon policy has been in place for a long (years) time. I'm in there once or twice a week usually.

Take advantage of the coupons. They have purchase limits. That's why I visit once or twice a week. But most of the time with the coupons you can get great deals. The price for .45 has been 9.95 a box for weeks now. I wait and lurk and and when good deals pop up I take full advantage. They post the new coupons on Wednesday afternoons. Sometimes the sales roll over for a couple weeks but they always come out on a Wednesday.

Last edited by Sapperforward; 07-14-2017 at 6:27 PM..
Old 09-25-2017, 11:27 PM

I heard they were closing. They apparently sold the property, and it is unknown if the new owners will keep the store.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:02 AM

Yes they are closing. I guess Sportsmans Warehouse and now Bass Pro has taken enough of their business that they are selling the store.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:12 AM

A good friend's son worked there, said they are retiring partially due to political anti 2A climate.

I've been a few times, but never found them to be as helpful, or friendly as other shops.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:05 AM

The store is still profitable. Most of the owners want out, so it is closing.
Old 09-27-2017, 9:34 PM
Veteran Member

I used to drop paychecks off on my way home.

Bought an 8, 3/8" BBL, Nickel, M29 from them in 1980, when the store was a hole in the wall wreck across the street; pulled another number of guns out of there before Uncle Sam sent me elsewhere.

The Fligge family had a great run for 35+ years after they sold the old shop with the fish on the pole sign across the street and opened up in the defunct grocery store. The wall of guns was the first thing to go up, and was awesome. They changed with the times and tried different things. (Although the damn cat was still roaming the store). There was a shooting range for pellet guns and bow and arrow in the back of the gun department. Then, they established a taxidermy display where the shotguns are now stored.

In the early 90's, after a falling out between the brothers (Sterling Fligge broke away to create "Great Guns", another set of stories, there...), Wild Sports seemed to lose its aggressive business sense.

Since then, Wild Sports has just existed. It seems like it's time to go.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 09-28-2017 at 8:47 AM..
Old 09-27-2017, 9:41 PM
☆☆ More Cowbell ☆☆
CGN Contributor

Bought a .45 Uzi from them back in the late 1980s. Will be sad to see them close if they do.

This will be good for Sac Black Rifle though - they recently relocated to that neck of the woods.

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness
Old 09-28-2017, 7:38 AM

There is a for sale sign (2 buildings + property) out on the corner. I just bought a shotgun from them, and I didn't notice the sign until I went to pick up my gun on Monday.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:53 PM

If Wild Sports isn't going out of business, they should be. I can't describe the kind of bad treatment I've gotten from those guys. It's way out of my way, but in times of ammo shortages I've driven over there in desperation. But they make up their own rules on the fly depending on whether they feel like selling to you. AND have insulted me to my face.

I wouldn't buy a toothpick from them if I had any choice.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 09-29-2017, 4:37 PM

I've bought a couple firearms from them in the past because of their good deals. Never cared for the extra rules they tacked onto to customers, but never had a bad experience with them.

They just gave me a killer deal on a Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 EMDR scope. Practically stole the damn thing.
Old 09-30-2017, 9:21 AM

Default Great customer service at WILD SPORTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatLovin View Post
I've bought a couple firearms from them in the past because of their good deals. Never cared for the extra rules they tacked onto to customers, but never had a bad experience with them.

They just gave me a killer deal on a Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 EMDR scope. Practically stole the damn thing.
They have some of the best prices on firearms / special sale prices

the 11 day wait on firearms purchases is no big deal, if you read their reviews most people already know about it

as long as you follow their rules / store policy you wont have a problem

Ive seen some real jerk type customers in there complaining and cussing out the employees, it's usually just a bad customer.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:30 PM

Do they carry used firearms? I tried calling to find out, but calling them is an... experience.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2meterB View Post
Do they carry used firearms?
They don't sell used firearms.
Old 10-15-2017, 2:09 PM

I used to go there back in the 2000’s before I knew any better shops. Every time I went in there I would hear the employees talking very condescendingly to customers.

I stopped going there about 10 years ago. I went back about 4 years ago to give them another shot and saw the employees attitudes were still the same. I take my business else where.

Read their google reviews. Some of the stories are hilarious and I have no doubt they’re true.
https://g.co/kgs/deRKxF

Last edited by BillyGoatCrawler; 10-15-2017 at 2:31 PM..
Old 10-20-2017, 5:13 PM

Wild Sports has always been a bit slow since I can remember as a kid, but that might be a testament to the overall square footage of the shop vs. others in the area with much smaller square footage that seem busier. I'm guessing they have a good overhead deal on their spot having become an "institution" so to speak...

I will admit their service is lackluster but nowhere near others in the area (I live in Elk Grove -- so take a WILD guess). I have not purchased from them in many years because they had no idea they were a dealer (according to the dealers website) of a gun I wanted to procure, which soured me big time as they blew me off after a 40 minute drive and after a phone call to confirm, but did do a PPT there once that went flawless despite the hour+ long process, half of which was contributed to the old timer licking his thumbs to separate the papers and work the copier, so, yeah... Meh.

I've always considered Wild Sports a neutral spot in the Greater Sacramento Area in that they have a good inventory it seems and CAN deliver tongue-in-cheek, but too far for fishing tackle as a fisherman.

Last edited by sierra11b; 10-20-2017 at 5:27 PM..
Old 10-21-2017, 7:57 PM
Veteran Member

Unlike most you will hear from I love Wild Sports. I buy most of my guns there. I use their coupons for ammo constantly. I've never experienced poor customer service there but I also always go in knowing exactly what I came for so that may be why. I don't kick tires or ask questions.

All that said I loath the 11 day wait and they have they take more time to Dros a gun then anywhere else. It has taken up to 1.5 hours there to get a PPT done from start to finish there with nobody else ahead of us.

I've been going to WS since I was in kindergarten. Now I'm close to 40 and I will miss them once they are gone.

My new go to shop will be Sacramento Armory. Friendly guys, fastest Dros times I've ever seen and they have the occasional consignment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2017, 11:55 PM

stopped by today, they had a sign that said Store closing or going out of business?

the gun dept definitely looked thinned out, no M1A's, no Ruger Mini 14's, No more Glock 17 or Glock 19, they did have a Glock 21 SF

no more Beretta 92's, lots of handguns were missing, I saw a S&W Shield 9mm pistol

they had a couple Mossberg 500 defense shot guns

not much reloading supplies they didnt have the powder or the primers I needed