Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 01-12-2014, 1:53 PM

Default AR15 eye relief

Mounting my first scope on an AR with a Burris PEPR. I'm mounting an SWFA 3-15x42 MRAD with a listed eye relief of 4.2" - 3.8".

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-15x42-Tact...pe-P62238.aspx

I'm a big guy (6'1") with a bigger noggin. I have an A2-length stock (Magpul MOE Rifle stock with extended buttpad). My natural cheek weld when I shoulder the rifle (sitting or standing) puts my nose just under three finger widths from the charging handle. Probably about two and a half finger widths.

I'm finding that I get the best sight picture with the end of the eyepiece hanging over rail sections T1-T3 (no scope shadow or tunnel vision).

This means that I need to set the PEPR all the way out to T9-T10. The front of the PEPR mount is actually clamped into the Troy rail.

Is it normal to have an offset mount set this far forward on the receiver? Seems extremely far to me, but that's where I can consistently get a good, clear sight picture through the scope. Most mounted scopes I see on ARs usually have the eyepiece hanging over the charging handle.

Attachment 295193

Last edited by Wombats Are Dangerous; 04-02-2018 at 7:11 PM..
Old 01-12-2014, 3:47 PM
Cry Havok!
CGN Contributor

I would think thats the reason for adding that rail on the free float. So you can set up your rifle to fit you. If it works it works.
"Para ser libre, un hombre debe tener tres cosas, la tierra, una educacion y un fusil. Siempre un fusil ! (To be free, a man must have three things; land, an education and a rifle. Always a rifle)" -Emiliano Zapata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Of course they are in free territory where they can pick up ammunition at the local 5 and dime without going through a criminal background check. All we get is legalized pot.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Do not do that (bridge the handguard and receiver)

Best case scenario you will constantly loose zero. Worst case you can damage the mount and possibly optic (less likely with a single piece mount but still..)

there are a few solutions but the easiest would probably be to adjust your technique and "square up" more to the rifle which will pull the optic further away from your face.
Old 01-18-2014, 1:08 PM

I am in the same situation. I like to put my nose right up against the charging handle, but to get in the eyebox of my 3x9 Nikon, I would have to either bridge the free-float handguard + upper receiver, or mount complete on the free-float handguard.
Old 01-18-2014, 1:43 PM
Calguns Addict

You need an extended mount. Something along the lines of a Larue LT139 would work great.

Oh, and I think your Raptor CH might be a fake. Can't tell from the photos but on a real Raptor, the handle on the forward assist side should be longer than the other.
Old 01-18-2014, 1:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don the savage View Post
I would think thats the reason for adding that rail on the free float. So you can set up your rifle to fit you. If it works it works.
No, the free float is to keep the forces of your hand, rest, or bipod from exerting forces onto the barrel.

The reason everyone generally recommends against bridging the gap is because uppers and rails generally do not match exactly. I am not talking about alignment, but width and thickness of the rail profiles are commonly different and this causes some weird issues with alignment, especially with QD mounts.
Old 01-19-2014, 7:36 AM

If it works it's good.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:37 PM

tonyxcom, any other way to tell if the Raptor's a fake? I bought it from a reputable dealer (ArmsUnlimited.com) and the packaging looked legit.

I'll have to measure with calipers, but eyeballing the handles, the one on the right looks just slightly longer. It's not a significant difference.

Could be the angle of the photo too.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombats Are Dangerous View Post
tonyxcom, any other way to tell if the Raptor's a fake? I bought it from a reputable dealer (ArmsUnlimited.com) and the packaging looked legit.

I'll have to measure with calipers, but eyeballing the handles, the one on the right looks just slightly longer. It's not a significant difference.

Could be the angle of the photo too.
Uhh, AU is far from a reputable dealer. In fact they're one of the worst dealers out there selling counterfeit parts(including fake raptor charging handles). Their BS has even gone so far as to even lie on calguns about their fake products.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...=798879&page=2
http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2013/09...arging-handle/
Old 01-19-2014, 12:57 PM

Yikes! I had no idea!

I'll be checking my Raptor when I get home and making a return if it's fake. I'll also be notifying Rainer if it's fake and placing an order with them instead. I can't believe this BS.
Old 01-19-2014, 1:13 PM
Calguns Addict

If you got it from AU you almost definitely got a fake. It's bad enough they sell copies of the RADDLOCK and Raptor, but they even have the nerve to label them as such. That is all kinds of low.
Old 01-19-2014, 1:31 PM

Merc1138, I just read that whole Raddlock thread. That's just simply disturbing. It amazes me that a retailer could be so unrepentant despite the evidence available.

Thanks for pointing out that thread and keeping the community informed.