Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 06-29-2014, 5:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Almost July now, hoping to see any change in my process.
Old 06-29-2014, 9:35 AM
Veteran Member

They told me 30-90 days for rating on my claim I won two months ago. I have heard nothing from the VA. Hopefully it will come in the next 30 days, or I am going to have to start pushing.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:45 AM
Calguns Addict

So they haven't even start paying you I am guessing?
Old 06-29-2014, 5:39 PM
Veteran Member

I am getting the 10% for tinnitus, but have not been rated yet on my big claim. Check your PM's...
Old 07-09-2014, 9:00 PM

Gents I'm about to ets myself and got into the benifits at discharge program any of you get into the program? Apperently some new thing that has it's on seperate processing from the rest of the va claims process. Turned in initial medical records on 6/15 still no word yet no suprise. Supposed to be no longer the 9 months start to finish.
Old 07-09-2014, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbeilfuss View Post
Gents I'm about to ets myself and got into the benifits at discharge program any of you get into the program? Apperently some new thing that has it's on seperate processing from the rest of the va claims process. Turned in initial medical records on 6/15 still no word yet no suprise. Supposed to be no longer the 9 months start to finish.
Good luck took me 24 months. I hope they have changed things considerably since I filed my claim in 2010. Just keep checking your Ebenifits account for status updates on your existing claims.

In memory of Rogelio Antonio Ramirez, August 26th 2007
Saqlawiyah Iraq

"most people quick to go to war haven't seen it."-
unknown

Check out my YouTube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/DJCBX/videos
Old 07-09-2014, 10:13 PM
Calguns Addict

6 months and still under review.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CavScout View Post
They told me 30-90 days for rating on my claim I won two months ago. I have heard nothing from the VA. Hopefully it will come in the next 30 days, or I am going to have to start pushing.
My backpay came in less than 20 days IIRC. On your award letter, near the end, it should say when you can expect to receive your backpay.

After the retroactive (backpay), you will receive your monthly compensation amount on the 1st of every month, or before if the first falls on a weekend.
Old 07-16-2014, 6:49 AM
Calguns Addict

I honestly think VA system is joke and I lost my faith in them long time ago.
Old 07-16-2014, 7:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossedRifles View Post
My backpay came in less than 20 days IIRC. On your award letter, near the end, it should say when you can expect to receive your backpay.

After the retroactive (backpay), you will receive your monthly compensation amount on the 1st of every month, or before if the first falls on a weekend.
Yep, just received my rating and back pay. going to talk to my rep this morning about the rating.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:48 PM

mine was four years... its not even finished. They gave me 30% for bilateral shoulder injury, hearing loss, and tinnitus.

I still have two more appointment for two other injuries..
For a combat soldier, the difference between success and failure is your ability to adapt to your enemy. The people that we deal with, they don't care about the rules. All they care about is a result. My job is to stop them from completing their objective, at all costs.
Old 07-19-2014, 6:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Have my c&p exam next month for my trauma brain injury.
Old 07-19-2014, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJackUSMC View Post
Have my c&p exam next month for my trauma brain injury.
Good luck! My wife had one for neurological trauma last month and the doctor had been working with the VA for about two weeks...it could go either bad or good for her with his inexperience...

Navy veteran (1998-2011)
Old 07-19-2014, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote43g View Post
mine was four years... its not even finished. They gave me 30% for bilateral shoulder injury, hearing loss, and tinnitus.

I still have two more appointment for two other injuries..
4 years is ridiculous, I heard they weren't giving a rating for tinnitus anymore, that and hearing loss are my main issues. Im waiting on personnel and med records to come in before I file because I cant remember what was in there. I got out in 97 and didn't push hard for a rating then because I didn't want something on my record to dq me physically from getting a LEO or FD job. That was a mistake on my part
Old 07-19-2014, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlrat37 View Post
4 years is ridiculous, I heard they weren't giving a rating for tinnitus anymore, that and hearing loss are my main issues. Im waiting on personnel and med records to come in before I file because I cant remember what was in there. I got out in 97 and didn't push hard for a rating then because I didn't want something on my record to dq me physically from getting a LEO or FD job. That was a mistake on my part

I had heard (got to love the "gouge"!) that if you were exposed to engineering noise (e.g. shipboard power plants) you were "automatically" rated at 10% for it. So I included it on the list, as I had spent two years as an engineering officer as well as conducted countless patrols through the engineering spaces (though it was our 5" gun that really jacked my hearing, but whatever...) My audiologist was a real winner...even though I know I missed some of the tones in the test (there aren't supposed to be a bunch of blank spots) she put the bone amplifier (or whatever it's called) behind my ear, tried rattling my brain with two tones (OMG it was awful) and reported to the VA that I had perfect hearing! Seriously?! I KNOW I have hearing loss...but apparently she thought otherwise. I got rated for enough other stuff where I'm not complaining, but I know I'm going to have problems down the road, and without a 0% disability rating for tinnitus, I'll have to fight tooth and nail for any help from the VA at all...

Navy veteran (1998-2011)
Old 07-19-2014, 9:11 AM
Veteran Member

The Veterans Administration are experts at Reverse psychology .

I am here to help you.
George Patton
Old 07-19-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackops51 View Post
I had heard (got to love the "gouge"!) that if you were exposed to engineering noise (e.g. shipboard power plants) you were "automatically" rated at 10% for it. So I included it on the list, as I had spent two years as an engineering officer as well as conducted countless patrols through the engineering spaces (though it was our 5" gun that really jacked my hearing, but whatever...) My audiologist was a real winner...even though I know I missed some of the tones in the test (there aren't supposed to be a bunch of blank spots) she put the bone amplifier (or whatever it's called) behind my ear, tried rattling my brain with two tones (OMG it was awful) and reported to the VA that I had perfect hearing! Seriously?! I KNOW I have hearing loss...but apparently she thought otherwise. I got rated for enough other stuff where I'm not complaining, but I know I'm going to have problems down the road, and without a 0% disability rating for tinnitus, I'll have to fight tooth and nail for any help from the VA at all...
I heard the VA does not rate for hearing loss, there motto is we gave your ear plugs, its your fault you didnt use them. I have Bilateral Hearing loss on my claim and got zero rating from it. Yet the tinitus i got rated a 10% for, but its not really worth it, I had lost countless hours of sleep because of it and have had to move really close to freeways in order to drown it out and finally be able to sleep at nights.

Saqlawiyah Iraq

unknown

Old 07-19-2014, 6:47 PM
Calguns Addict

I have c&p exam next month for my tbi.
I am very nervous about it. What should I take and what should I expect from it.
Thanks
Old 07-19-2014, 6:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Any tips would be grateful. Pm me please
Old 07-24-2014, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Oh yea, they still do give 10% for tinnitus. I got rated for it last month. Just make sure you let them know that you were exposed to artillery and other types of loud explosives.. which I did since I was an 0311. Not sure what the current law is on that, but from what I just heard, background investigators can now look into military disabilities whereas before, they couldn't and the applicant didn't have to disclose any service related disabilities.
For a combat soldier, the difference between success and failure is your ability to adapt to your enemy. The people that we deal with, they don't care about the rules. All they care about is a result. My job is to stop them from completing their objective, at all costs.

Last edited by coyote43g; 07-24-2014 at 8:00 AM..
Old 07-24-2014, 7:50 AM
Veteran Member

^^^ There are current LEO's that I know with fairly high ratings from the VA. I am surprised they were hired, unless they did not disclose their injuries.
Old 07-24-2014, 7:53 AM
Calguns Addict

3 years. And that was only because of the executive order to immediately issue provisional ratings to all who had been waiting over a year
My gut is good for two things, making poo and spotting crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Do not get your legal advice from Forest Rangers or Sheriffs: that's like getting medical advice from your plumber.
Old 07-24-2014, 8:11 AM

Quote:
^^^ There are current LEO's that I know with fairly high ratings from the VA. I am surprised they were hired, unless they did not disclose their injuries.
Likewise here. I know for a fact that there are a lot cops out there who were also service members with disabilities and still got in.
Old 07-24-2014, 7:32 PM

Update from my experience this far filed under the benifits delivery at discharge using the DAV as my rep. June 19th filed with the local VA rep for fort Irwin. July 1st VA accepted the application for compensation. Says on ebenifits under review with a estimated completion date of May 2015 to January 2016. Talked to the rep should have any appointments necessary for the claim mid August to early September reality who knows. Hope it helps any of you out there I will update with any new movements with the claim.
Old 07-24-2014, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote43g View Post
Oh yea, they still do give 10% for tinnitus. I got rated for it last month. Just make sure you let them know that you were exposed to artillery and other types of loud explosives.. which I did since I was an 0311. Not sure what the current law is on that, but from what I just heard, background investigators can now look into military disabilities whereas before, they couldn't and the applicant didn't have to disclose any service related disabilities.
How do they check for tinnitus? It seems like something that's hard to prove or disprove. Most of my hearing loss happened when my m16 blew up and shooting the at-4s. I don't even care right now about compensation but I want them to cover hearing aids when I need them.
Old 07-24-2014, 9:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
How do they check for tinnitus? It seems like something that's hard to prove or disprove. Most of my hearing loss happened when my m16 blew up and shooting the at-4s. I don't even care right now about compensation but I want them to cover hearing aids when I need them.
When they tested my hearing they put sensors on my head and ear buds in my ears. They played different tones through the ear buds, and a computer is able to tell if your hearing is normal or not. I was told they can also detect tinnitus with this method. After I was done, I was diagnosed with asymmetric neural hearing loss and tinnitus.

Last edited by 1CavScout; 07-25-2014 at 8:19 AM..
Old 07-24-2014, 9:58 PM
Banned

When sending in my notice of appeal, how detailed should I be?

There's so much contradicting stuff online.

I specifically list each claim I am disagreeing/appealing with correct? Do I provide evidence/proof/details of why I am appealing?
Old 07-25-2014, 8:18 AM
Veteran Member

^^^ Be as detailed as possible, and add any evidence you have to support your claim. Doctors opinions / findings work well in my experience, as well as any test results you might have.

I am already service connected on all my issues, but I am appealing the total rating that I received. In my appeal letter I explained why I thought the rating was low, and now I am following up with doctors to gather more evidence to support my claim.

I went to the VA this past week to update my file, and was flat out told by the guy helping me that it's a game. The VA almost always comes back with denials or low ratings initially. He stated most people have to go through the appeal process, so don't get discouraged. Good luck...
Old 07-25-2014, 8:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Is this good?
C&P exam says my tbi and headache is greater than 50% it occurred while I was in service.
Old 07-25-2014, 9:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJackUSMC View Post
Is this good?
C&P exam says my tbi and headache is greater than 50% it occurred while I was in service.
It should get service connected without issue if it says that. Just have to see what they rate you at.
Old 07-25-2014, 9:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Thank you, still bhave 4 more c&p exams to go.
Old 07-25-2014, 9:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
^^^ Be as detailed as possible, and add any evidence you have to support your claim. Doctors opinions / findings work well in my experience, as well as any test results you might have.

I am already service connected on all my issues, but I am appealing the total rating that I received. In my appeal letter I explained why I thought the rating was low, and now I am following up with doctors to gather more evidence to support my claim.

I went to the VA this past week to update my file, and was flat out told by the guy helping me that it's a game. The VA almost always comes back with denials or low ratings initially. He stated most people have to go through the appeal process, so don't get discouraged. Good luck...
Thanks Cav. Kind of surprised you are saying to be as detailed as possible in the disagreement/appeal letter. I was told to hold onto any evidence I have until they contact me but you're saying to send it all in with the notice of disagreement? Do I type it up in list form of everything I'm appealing?

I'm not trying to appeal everything, but some of the stuff they denied is ridiculous. I received 21 stitches in Astan and have records from the hospital but they determined the major laceration (18 stitches to my shin with a gnarly scar) was 0% and the minor one (3 stitches to my chin) was not service connected lmao.

I'm not surprised it's a game. It makes sense why they deny a lot of claims because I'm sure there's a big chunk of people out there who simply do not appeal.
Old 07-25-2014, 9:57 AM

Been more than a year for me; last call to DAV said my claim was in the "ready to rate" box at VA. No idea how much longer it will take to get my letter.

While I wait my Dental bills (service connected) are building.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsnet View Post
Been more than a year for me; last call to DAV said my claim was in the "ready to rate" box at VA. No idea how much longer it will take to get my letter.

While I wait my Dental bills (service connected) are building.
Have you checked your eBenefits account? I suggest everyone signing up for eBenifits.

Saqlawiyah Iraq

unknown

Old 07-25-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkwayDrive View Post
When sending in my notice of appeal, how detailed should I be?

There's so much contradicting stuff online.

I specifically list each claim I am disagreeing/appealing with correct? Do I provide evidence/proof/details of why I am appealing?
Yes be as detailed as possible, I wrote letters detailing everything that happened to me and a I also highlighted my medical records for when I saw a medical professional about the issues I wrote about in my letter. The important thing to look at is that you are telling a story, the people who decided your rating are not doctors they are people, make it easy on them and word your letter in clean concise language that anyone can understand.

Saqlawiyah Iraq

unknown

Last edited by laabstract; 07-25-2014 at 11:28 AM..
Old 07-25-2014, 12:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Does anyone know ptsd pclm score means?
I got 85/85, highest, it says severe.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by laabstract View Post
Yes be as detailed as possible, I wrote letters detailing everything that happened to me and a I also highlighted my medical records for when I saw a medical professional about the issues I wrote about in my letter. The important thing to look at is that you are telling a story, the people who decided your rating are not doctors they are people, make it easy on them and word your letter in clean concise language that anyone can understand.
Alright thanks man. I'll finish typing it up and send it off.
Old 07-25-2014, 1:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Don't tell then u need help with any tasks, or they'll adjudicate you mentally incompetent to own firearms like they've done with tons of people.
Old 07-25-2014, 4:24 PM
Banned

I have another question for you experienced dudes. When you guys said to send the evidence with my notice of disagreement, did you guys send pictures, statements from guys with you, medical records (from my doctor at Kaiser) etc.? Should I wait until I have all of that before sending in the notice of disagreement?
Old 07-25-2014, 6:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkwayDrive View Post
Thanks Cav. Kind of surprised you are saying to be as detailed as possible in the disagreement/appeal letter. I was told to hold onto any evidence I have until they contact me but you're saying to send it all in with the notice of disagreement? Do I type it up in list form of everything I'm appealing?

I'm not trying to appeal everything, but some of the stuff they denied is ridiculous. I received 21 stitches in Astan and have records from the hospital but they determined the major laceration (18 stitches to my shin with a gnarly scar) was 0% and the minor one (3 stitches to my chin) was not service connected lmao.

I'm not surprised it's a game. It makes sense why they deny a lot of claims because I'm sure there's a big chunk of people out there who simply do not appeal.
I was very detailed in my appeals letter for service connection. I listed dates and places where I was involved in operations (I kept a log book when I was in the ME). I also included copies of medical reports and test results pertaining to my injuries. When I went to my C&P exam, the doctor had all the stuff I had sent in on the computer, and was able to discuss it with me.

As far as my appeal for a higher rating, I just hand wrote on the form I was given by my rep. I was not as detailed with that, but I am just starting that process. I am sure I will have to provide more details and evidence later in the process.

Good luck...