Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 06-17-2019, 8:41 AM

Default Passport expired - question

Hey all,

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I have a question. During my CCW renewal I was asked for "Proof of citizenship, or naturalization". I have never been in a place where I had to prove this. I was born a US citizen. However, I was born on an AF base in the Philippines. I think being born in the Philippines gets people thinking I was Naturalized or became a citizen and I need to prove it. I don't have any of those documents as again I was born a US citizen. I only got a passport to travel to Mexico and back, but I let that expire since my past 3 CCW renewals. Now I need to "Prove" it. I never got a passport to prove my citizenship. Many Americans don't posses a passport.

What can I show to Prove I am a US Citizen? I know a passport is the best option, but if I renew my passport now, It could take months or many weeks. What have others done in my situation? What would be sufficient? I have a birth certificate - but it only shows place of birth. Which again, I think is the problem (Philippines).

edit: I was in the military, I showed my DD214. Don't all service members have to be citizens or those from Puerto Rico (US governed land) become citizens while in?

Thanks all!

Last edited by downdiver2; 06-17-2019 at 8:49 AM..
Old 06-17-2019, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Get an expedited passport. For the fastest service, you will need to go to a regional passport office and stand in line with some interesting elements of society, but that will be faster in terms of days compared to mailing in documents.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

Consular Report of Birth Abroad is what you need since you don't have a birth cert.

https://www.vitalrecordsonline.com/b...united-states/

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom
Old 06-17-2019, 12:06 PM
Calguns Addict

How did you prove citizenship to get the passport? Were you born on base or off? I have a friend who was born at Ramstein AFB her birth cert was issued by the Air Force hospital, not the German govt.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
How did you prove citizenship to get the passport? Were you born on base or off? I have a friend who was born at Ramstein AFB her birth cert was issued by the Air Force hospital, not the German govt.
I provided a very, very old passport (Baby picture), to get my newest passport. I will review my birth certificate to see if its valid. I was born on the AF base, in their hospital, not in the Philippines.
Old 06-17-2019, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downdiver2 View Post
I provided a very, very old passport (Baby picture), to get my newest passport. I will review my birth certificate to see if its valid. I was born on the AF base, in their hospital, not in the Philippines.
That should do.

The men who wrote the 2nd Amendment hadn't just finished a hunting trip.

They had just liberated a nation.
Old 06-17-2019, 4:46 PM

If your parents were American citizens you’re also a citizen through derivation.

I went through this with DHS. If you’re born abroad to us citizen/s you are a us citizen automatically.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorTactical View Post
If your parents were American citizens you’re also a citizen through derivation.

I went through this with DHS. If you’re born abroad to us citizen/s you are a us citizen automatically.
Exactly my situation - two American citizens stationed abroad and gave birth to my magnificence self

After rummaging through my safe last night, I think I found what they need. Its a citizen born abroad paperwork from the Air Force. I didn't even know I had this form as I've never had to use it.

Thanks all for the replys.
Old 06-18-2019, 2:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Hey all,

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I have a question. During my CCW renewal I was asked for "Proof of citizenship, or naturalization". I have never been in a place where I had to prove this. I was born a US citizen. However, I was born on an AF base in the Philippines. I think being born in the Philippines gets people thinking I was Naturalized or became a citizen and I need to prove it. I don't have any of those documents as again I was born a US citizen. I only got a passport to travel to Mexico and back, but I let that expire since my past 3 CCW renewals. Now I need to "Prove" it. I never got a passport to prove my citizenship. Many Americans don't posses a passport.

What can I show to Prove I am a US Citizen? I know a passport is the best option, but if I renew my passport now, It could take months or many weeks. What have others done in my situation? What would be sufficient? I have a birth certificate - but it only shows place of birth. Which again, I think is the problem (Philippines).

edit: I was in the military, I showed my DD214. Don't all service members have to be citizens or those from Puerto Rico (US governed land) become citizens while in?

Thanks all!
Citizenship isn't required for service. Legal residence is sufficient (you just can't hold a clearance)
Old 06-18-2019, 3:13 PM

Quote:

Thanks all!
Guess you missed the news reports of people deported after leaving the Military. You do not have to be a citizen to join.
Quote:
Originally Posted by code_blue View Post
Consular Report of Birth Abroad is what you need since you don't have a birth cert.

https://www.vitalrecordsonline.com/b...united-states/
He HAS a birth certificate. It says he was born other than in the USA, thus the problem.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 06-18-2019, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnWnMe View Post
Citizenship isn't required for service. Legal residence is sufficient (you just can't hold a clearance)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Special View Post
Guess you missed the news reports of people deported after leaving the Military. You do not have to be a citizen to join.

He HAS a birth certificate. It says he was born other than in the USA, thus the problem.
Didnt know that! Interesting. I had two Puerto Rican Dudes in my platoon, but they were working their way towards citizenship. I thought Puerto Rico being a sovereign state (Right? or whatever the land is called) they could join and earn it.
Old 06-18-2019, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Didnt know that! Interesting. I had two Puerto Rican Dudes in my platoon, but they were working their way towards citizenship. I thought Puerto Rico being a sovereign state (Right? or whatever the land is called) they could join and earn it.
Puerto Rico is a US territory therefore they are US Citizens already.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 06-19-2019, 3:18 PM

A US military base is not US soil (often misunderstood), so if you were born a natural-born US citizen, it's because you were born to a US citizen parent who met the requirements of the US Department of State to transfer his or her citizenship to you. Those were since 1961 that the person (1) lived in the US no less than 5 years and (2) that no less than 2 of these years were after the person's 14th birthday.

It's irrelevant for your case as you had a US passport, so your citizenship is not in question.
To answer your question, you make an appointment at the nearest US passport AGENCY and pick up your passport 4 hours later. I once went to the L.A. office at 9:00, dropped off my paperwork, had breakfast in Beverly Hills, and picked up my new passport afterward.

Requirement for this is that you "need" it within 2 weeks. Many people just book a fully refundable flight, do the passport agency thingi, then cancel the ticket for a full refund no more than 24 hours later.

For "next time" around, just keep a US passport card. It's $35, valid for 10 years, and it saves you all the crap. It's also a document in compliance with the Real ID act, and you probably know that the regular California Driver License is not working for air travel anymore come October 1, of 2020, thanks to the fact that it's been issued to illegal aliens as well.

Last edited by Brother_Hesekiel; 06-19-2019 at 3:24 PM..
Old 06-19-2019, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnWnMe View Post
Citizenship isn't required for service.
Citizenship isn't required for CCW either.

https://www.firearmspolicy.org/feder...verside-county
Old 06-19-2019, 5:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Special View Post
Puerto Rico is a US territory therefore they are US Citizens already.
I sure disagree with this one. They have voted 3-4 times not to become a state. They even set off bombs in NYC during the 70s for "freedom". I say cut them loose. BTW Clinton pardoned the Puerto Rican bombers to get the PR vote for Hillary's Senate run.

From the web:
There are five major U.S. territories: American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. A U.S. territory is a partially self-governing piece of land under the authority of the U.S. government. U.S. territories are not states, but they do have representation in Congress. Each territory is allowed to send a delegate to the House of Representatives. The people who live in American Samoa are considered U.S. nationals; the people in the other four territories are U.S. citizens. Citizens of the territories can vote in primary elections for president, but they cannot vote in the general elections for president.
Old 06-19-2019, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
I sure disagree with this one.
Didn't say I agreed with it.

― Mark Twain
Old 06-19-2019, 7:45 PM

Is your last name Obama? Just curious. Have the secret service protect you as you won't need a gun.