Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 04-14-2018, 6:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DArBad View Post
Do you plan on keeping it for a long time, like say..forever?

I am one of those who loathe in modifying the structure of a firearm permanently, because if later on you decide you had your fill of the gun and you want to sell it, from what I've seen, you take a big hit due to the modification.

A Glock is not a 1911 where sometimes modification to frame " could " add value.

Something to think about. But if this factor does not worry you, then by all means, modify away. Make the gun as comfortable to YOU as you want.

Just my take on the matter.
Yeah, but then again, it's just a Glock?
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 04-14-2018, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosinVirus View Post
So, here is a question for all of you...

How many of you are uncomfortable with the trigger guard on the middle finger? The glock knuckle, I guess...

I am thinking if I keep it I will have to undercut it a bit.
Your call, as I see a lot of undercutting in the circles I shoot with, but the glock knuckle doesn't bother me. You'll develop a callous and then never really pay it any mind again.

I personally try to avoid such modifications anyway because then if I like it, all the sudden I'll want to do it to all my glocks which would be a pain in the ***.
Old 04-14-2018, 8:40 AM
Calguns Addict

MV, I highly recommend that you trade it for the CZ. There are so much options into upgrading the CZ and together with your mechanical skills in gunsmiths, it would be a fun project.

Oh, and a friendly warning, CZ is pretty addictive once you got the taste of it.
Old 04-14-2018, 1:33 PM

MV, I'm with you. I really wanted to like the 34, didn't go in with a bias against it. It works fine but it elicits absolutely no passion. Kind of like a Sears screw driver, works and that's good.

Something about finding a pistol that fits well, looks nice, works well, great trigger etc. For me as well that's still the 1911.

That doesn't mean i don't lust for others, i'd sure love to try out most every new platform but at the end of the day it's still the 9mm 1911 that i enjoy most.

You might consider a 2011, even neutered still kind of nice to practice with and with your skills modifications and personalization will come naturally.
Old 04-14-2018, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambic View Post
Check out the G21 since you already have a 17. I feel it is one of the best balanced standard size Glock. Good luck.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
Same here. Go Glock 21 for sure, Gen 4 if you got the dough. It's my favorite pistol by far. CZ is a good alternate, for sure.
Old 04-14-2018, 8:50 PM
From Anotha Motha
CGN Contributor

If you don't like the G34, I'd go G21.
Old 04-15-2018, 8:11 PM
Triple Your Pleasure
CGN Contributor

I'm right you guys... I purchased a G34, wanted it to be a race gun, put in a Vogle trigger and couldn't' tell the difference between that and my G17.

Sold it.

I like 1911's as well as other Glocks. I really like playing with my Lever Action Rifle which can be had in many different calibers. My LA is about as much fun as you can have legally and they're really light if you get a Rossi clone.

LINK: 9mm Shootout: BHP vs 92A1 vs SP-01 vs P-01

Last edited by TripleThreat; 04-16-2018 at 4:53 PM..
Old 04-15-2018, 9:58 PM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian71 View Post
Agreed. Or even a CZ 75 B or BD, which are just as good, IMO. Anyway, get rid of all of your Glocks for CZs!
But I also like Glocks. Maybe I will Add a CZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DArBad View Post
Do you plan on keeping it for a long time, like say..forever?

I am one of those who loathe in modifying the structure of a firearm permanently, because if later on you decide you had your fill of the gun and you want to sell it, from what I've seen, you take a big hit due to the modification.

A Glock is not a 1911 where sometimes modification to frame " could " add value.

Something to think about. But if this factor does not worry you, then by all means, modify away. Make the gun as comfortable to YOU as you want.

Just my take on the matter.
That is the reason I have not touched it. The only thing I replaced on it was the extended mag release. That thing was digging into my palm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
The SP2022 is a fantastic gun at the right price point. First one we bought was the day after Sandy Hook and we bought it for $375. After that, prices went crazy. It's got a great single action trigger and both of ours have been flawless and accurate. Only downside was the trigger. The double-action was tough to overcome. Otherwise, it was great.
I was never drawn to the sp2022. I think I would rather go CZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackcage View Post
Your call, as I see a lot of undercutting in the circles I shoot with, but the glock knuckle doesn't bother me. You'll develop a callous and then never really pay it any mind again.

I personally try to avoid such modifications anyway because then if I like it, all the sudden I'll want to do it to all my glocks which would be a pain in the ***.
Understood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbc View Post
MV, I highly recommend that you trade it for the CZ. There are so much options into upgrading the CZ and together with your mechanical skills in gunsmiths, it would be a fun project.

Oh, and a friendly warning, CZ is pretty addictive once you got the taste of it.
Perhaps that is what I will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtenenhaus View Post
MV, I'm with you. I really wanted to like the 34, didn't go in with a bias against it. It works fine but it elicits absolutely no passion. Kind of like a Sears screw driver, works and that's good.

Something about finding a pistol that fits well, looks nice, works well, great trigger etc. For me as well that's still the 1911.

That doesn't mean i don't lust for others, i'd sure love to try out most every new platform but at the end of the day it's still the 9mm 1911 that i enjoy most.

You might consider a 2011, even neutered still kind of nice to practice with and with your skills modifications and personalization will come naturally.
Now that I see limited 10 producing those sweet grips it is something to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSierraDrifter View Post
Same here. Go Glock 21 for sure, Gen 4 if you got the dough. It's my favorite pistol by far. CZ is a good alternate, for sure.
Both are going to be considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordupmybrotha View Post
If you don't like the G34, I'd go G21.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleThreat View Post
I'm right you guys... I purchased a G34, wanted it to be a race gun, put in a Vougle trigger and couldn't' tell the difference between that and my G17.

Sold it.

I like 1911's as well as other Glocks. I really like playing with my Lever Action Rifle and that can be hand in many different calibers. My LA is about as much fun as you can legally and they're really light in you get a Rossi clone.
Yup. The only lever action I have is a Winchester 1895 in 7.62x54R.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:20 AM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

I actually took the G34 to the range today. And now I know exactly why I was thinking of getting rid of it.

I built up my expectations before buying it. I think I was expecting tighter grouping, better trigger pull weight, etc.

And when I shot it for the first time I had no such results. As in, in my hands it is no better than a g17. Today was a confirmation of that first impression. It is a good gun, it is a Glock, but it is actually a little worse than my g17 that I have done some work on.

So, I see two ways to move forward. One is to get another Glock (G21 SF as suggested quite a bit above) or a CZ, and the other is to try and work on this G34 until it feels the same or better than my G17 (in which case there may be something about it that wins me over).

Decisions, decisions.
Old 04-16-2018, 5:51 AM

Quote:
But now thinking of trading it for a G17 or G19 or G36, or G21 or...

Well anyway, help me decide.

.45acp or 9mm only, please

I already have a 17, 19, 30, and 26.
What didnt you like about the 34? And the 17 is just a shorter 34 isnt it?
Disreguard... I read the rest of the thread.... I gotta lear to RTFM!

Last edited by BitViper; 04-16-2018 at 5:54 AM..
Old 04-16-2018, 8:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I actually took the G34 to the range today. And now I know exactly why I was thinking of getting rid of it.

I built up my expectations before buying it. I think I was expecting tighter grouping, better trigger pull weight, etc.

And when I shot it for the first time I had no such results. As in, in my hands it is no better than a g17. Today was a confirmation of that first impression. It is a good gun, it is a Glock, but it is actually a little worse than my g17 that I have done some work on.

So, I see two ways to move forward. One is to get another Glock (G21 SF as suggested quite a bit above) or a CZ, and the other is to try and work on this G34 until it feels the same or better than my G17 (in which case there may be something about it that wins me over).

Decisions, decisions.
Out of the box, a glock is pretty ordinary and nothing to write home about. That goes twice for people who are used to fine tuned triggers of 1911s.

Just fix the trigger on it and it will be an ok gun. No, it will never be as smooth, as accurate, or as pretty as one of your 1911s.

Edit: you got a mill. Drill some holes in the slide and make it tacticool looking. It can be a nice project.

Last edited by heidad01; 04-16-2018 at 8:18 AM..
Old 04-16-2018, 8:38 AM
Veteran Member

If you want tighter groups that will rival your 1911's, you need to get a CZ Tactical Sport. You will be impressed and it's not just hype like most other pistols.
Old 04-16-2018, 5:27 PM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Here is a video with a little bit of shooting in it. You can see that I have a lot to work on with my shooting fundamentals. At least I am now shooting with both eyes open all the time.

Skip to 1:16 of the video.

Old 04-16-2018, 6:22 PM

I suffered the same when I first got my G34.

I could shoot my G26 better, and even the G27. But after some practice and getting used to it, I have seen the light. I shoot it just as well as my smaller Glocks now, but it's at farther distances where it shoots like a laser, and my smaller Glocks are all over the place, or takes me a bit more time to aim.

But you already have a G17, and everyone says they are not much different from each other. I think the 34 will only be advantageous over the G17 at some very high levels of competition.

Perhaps you will like the CZ's due to your love for the 1911. But if you want polymer, it doesn't get much better than the USP Expert.
Old 04-16-2018, 7:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
... At least I am now shooting with both eyes open all the time.
How can you shoot with both eyes open?

I can't do that with a shotgun, and especially not with a pistol.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 04-16-2018, 7:16 PM
Veteran Member

The 34 is a great gun. Very happy with both of mine.
Old 04-16-2018, 7:51 PM

34 and 17L to round out the collection
Kimber TLE RL II, Glock 34, Springfield MC Operator, Springfield TRP Operator, Smith and Wesson 6" 357, CMMG/DPMS 308 AR build, Spikes/LWRC AR15, Mossberg 590, Benelli M4, Benelli M2, PTR 91, Spikes/Midwest Industries build x 2, Leupold scopes, Nightforce scopes, Springfield M1A, Remington Model 720 30-06, Ruger 10/22 x 2, Winchester Model 70 300WM.
Old 04-16-2018, 7:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

MV, I have a G35 Gen3 that has a Lonewolf 40-9 conversion and a minus connector with all the internals polished. My trigger gauge tells me it’s 2.5 lbs. Been wanting to install the trigger stops, but I don’t shoot club matches anymore so it’s alright the way it is for the regular range. I’m not disappointed with it, but I won’t trade any of my 1911s for it. Shooting it with the OEM barrel it is a softer shooting pistol than a Glock 22, way much better compared to my G23 and G27. Having the trigger guard relief cut makes it comfortable to shoot.

Try a Sig P320 X5 or V-TAC. I prefer it more than a Glock.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine

Last edited by JTROKS; 04-16-2018 at 7:59 PM..
Old 04-16-2018, 8:21 PM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcassonne View Post
How can you shoot with both eyes open?

I can't do that with a shotgun, and especially not with a pistol.
Sorry, I am not sure if you are being sarcastic. It took a short while for me to retrain my eyes.

Skip to 4:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliberetta View Post
I suffered the same when I first got my G34.

I could shoot my G26 better, and even the G27. But after some practice and getting used to it, I have seen the light. I shoot it just as well as my smaller Glocks now, but it's at farther distances where it shoots like a laser, and my smaller Glocks are all over the place, or takes me a bit more time to aim.

But you already have a G17, and everyone says they are not much different from each other. I think the 34 will only be advantageous over the G17 at some very high levels of competition.

Perhaps you will like the CZ's due to your love for the 1911. But if you want polymer, it doesn't get much better than the USP Expert.
I will be looking at CZ 75 types, the G21, but I do have a USP (not expert) and I barely ever shoot it. perhaps next time I will take that to the range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 003 View Post
The 34 is a great gun. Very happy with both of mine.
I hope you know I am not saying that it is a bad gun. I just built up my expectations past what it would deliver (for me personally).

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramedictim View Post
34 and 17L to round out the collection
Well now that i have this reaction to 34 I don't know if 17L would be any different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROKS View Post
MV, I have a G35 Gen3 that has a Lonewolf 40-9 conversion and a minus connector with all the internals polished. My trigger gauge tells me it’s 2.5 lbs. Been wanting to install the trigger stops, but I don’t shoot club matches anymore so it’s alright the way it is for the regular range. I’m not disappointed with it, but I won’t trade any of my 1911s for it. Shooting it with the OEM barrel it is a softer shooting pistol than a Glock 22, way much better compared to my G23 and G27. Having the trigger guard relief cut makes it comfortable to shoot.

Try a Sig P320 X5 or V-TAC. I prefer it more than a Glock.
Those would be cool to try, but I don't know that I will have a chance to try them out.
Old 04-16-2018, 8:42 PM

You might want to check out S&W M&P Pro. They're nice shooters and can be had for a reasonable price if you're patient.
Old 04-16-2018, 9:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Just watched the videos of that Vertec conversion and checkering. You, Sir are a Master Craftsman! I’m so amazed how you kept your file leveled and straight during the reduction process.

Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 04-16-2018, 10:30 PM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1234 View Post
You might want to check out S&W M&P Pro. They're nice shooters and can be had for a reasonable price if you're patient.
I dont know why but I would rather go for CZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROKS View Post
Just watched the videos of that Vertec conversion and checkering. You, Sir are a Master Craftsman! Iím so amazed how you kept your file leveled and straight during the reduction process.
It was a good project for sure and I liked working on it. I still have a vertec slide to put onto this frame when I get tired of DAO.
Old 04-17-2018, 8:46 AM

Quote:
I dont know why but I would rather go for CZ.
Have fun with it. I tried the CZ thing, didn't like them or find them to be particularly accurate..

USPSA guys live them, though they have a habit of breaking slide stops. I did like the grip, fits most hands well. And they have a decent aftermarket too. Wasn't crazy about the small slide profile, makes clearing jams an interesting chore.
Old 04-17-2018, 9:38 AM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1234 View Post
Have fun with it. I tried the CZ thing, didn't like them or find them to be particularly accurate..

USPSA guys live them, though they have a habit of breaking slide stops. I did like the grip, fits most hands well. And they have a decent aftermarket too. Wasn't crazy about the small slide profile, makes clearing jams an interesting chore.
I still have an option of buying back my CZ 75 Pre-B. Part of me regrets selling it in the first place.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Sorry, I am not sure if you are being sarcastic. It took a short while for me to retrain my eyes.

No, I was not being sarcastic. I can't think of anyone I know who can shoot a pistol accurately with both eyes open.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:57 AM
Calguns Addict

I got rid of my 34 and kept the 17. I shot both the SAME, so didn’t see the need for a longer gun. Then I added a RTF2 17, so now have two. Hickock rings the gong at will with the subcompact 26, so that longer 34 barrel is not really needed unless you’re trying to save 1/2” in groups at matches. I also have a G20... 10mm is just awesome.

Last edited by missiontrails; 04-17-2018 at 12:02 PM..
Old 04-17-2018, 12:02 PM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Quote:
No, I was not being sarcastic. I can't think of anyone I know who can shoot a pistol accurately with both eyes open.

Oh, in that case I can honestly tell you that my accuracy is not affected. I shoot equally bad on my bad days with one eye closed and with both open, and I shoot equally good on my good days with one eye closed and with both open.

The sight picture is the same. The only thing I had to do is get my eyes used to not give me two sets of sights. I know the other set is still there but I no longer "see" it. It is actually easier with both eyes open at this point.

I started to try and shoot with both eyes open on February 25, 2017.

Around 2:09 you will see that I am still having difficulty keeping both eyes open.

after that I have been trying to shoot with both eyes open and now I really don't need to go back.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Come out to a USPSA match. We'll be happy to show you.
Old 04-17-2018, 1:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

I always shoot with both eyes open....Didn't know it was anything special. You should try it sometime it's not too difficult
CGN CONTRIBUTOR
Old 04-22-2018, 3:35 PM

Default Thought I would have liked a G34...

Quote:
Oh, in that case I can honestly tell you that my accuracy is not affected. I shoot equally bad on my bad days with one eye closed and with both open, and I shoot equally good on my good days with one eye closed and with both open.

The sight picture is the same. The only thing I had to do is get my eyes used to not give me two sets of sights. I know the other set is still there but I no longer "see" it. It is actually easier with both eyes open at this point.

I started to try and shoot with both eyes open on February 25, 2017.

Around 2:09 you will see that I am still having difficulty keeping both eyes open.

after that I have been trying to shoot with both eyes open and now I really don't need to go back.

Can you clue me in on the resource to get that rmr cut done on my slide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2018, 4:00 PM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl_T-Pot View Post
Can you clue me in on the resource to get that rmr cut done on my slide?

I bought a slide ready for the trijicon rmr mount (with integrated night sight rear. The mount comes with a tall front sight as well. They cowitness with the dot.

TR-Enabling is sometimes running a sale on slides cut for the rmr mount. My slide was Ed Brown also already cut for rmr mount.

You need to use a mount because the 1911 slide is narrow and the RMR sight will overhang it. I never had to use someone else to mill the slide so someone else can probably point you to a smith that can do it.

For one of my 1911s (most recent one I built) I milled the slide and made the mount myself.
Old 04-22-2018, 4:01 PM

Quote:
I bought a slide ready for the trijicon rmr mount (with integrated night sight rear. The mount comes with a tall front sight as well. They cowitness with the dot.

TR-Enabling is sometimes running a sale on slides cut for the rmr mount. My slide was Ed Brown also already cut for rmr mount.

You need to use a mount because the 1911 slide is narrow and the RMR sight will overhang it.

For one of my 1911s (most recent one I built) I milled the slide and made the mount myself.

Nice, thank you!