Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 06-03-2019, 2:17 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Default CZ VZ 24 in .458 Lott

so over the weekend, i stumbled across a CZ in .458 Lott at a local gun store, that came with ammo, brass, dies, and projectiles for a sweet price. i didn't know much about the caliber, and admittedly, still don't know a lot in spite of spending several hours researching it since my purchase, but one thing that i discovered is that the gun i purchased is not the "typical" CZ in .458 Lott that's out there. i could not find any information regarding a gun with the same type of action as the one i purchased, until i finally figured out that mine is apparently custom built off a CZ VZ 24 action. i wish i had taken more pictures at the shop, but i do remember 1939 being mentioned, so that fits with the theory that it's a VZ24. i have found reference to this being done by other people, so i know it's possible.

now i'm just wondering what the gun might actually be worth. i know i'm happy with what i paid for it, just curious how good of a deal i got exactly. i only have the one picture, unfortunately - my apologies. thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190531_121421.jpg (99.4 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by peterabbits; 06-03-2019 at 2:18 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-03-2019, 5:21 PM

Always wanted a 458 lott. a 458 win mag with more punch.
Old 06-03-2019, 7:43 PM
Veteran Member

I'm surprised they got a 458 Lott to feed using a standard '98 length action. It's longer than the 458 Win Mag by about .2", which puts it in the same length as a 375 H&H. The 375 H&H needs some of the feed ramp, which is also the bottom locking lug shoulder, cut away so that it will fit.
Disclaimer. I have never handled, nor shot, a 458 Lott/458 Win Mag rifle.
But I have seen some articles where one was chambered in 458 Lott, and that was what was loaded into the chamber for the first shot. After that, 458 WM were loaded into the magazine for feeding of follow up shots.
The '98 action may be strong enough with the bottom feed ramp cut away to handle the 458 Lott. But I think I would trust a commercially made action more for such a conversion. But then, I am not a trained gunsmith, nor a metallurgist.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:35 PM
CGN Contributor

i went back to the shop today and got some more pictures.
i confirmed that it is definitely a VZ24 receiver. the owner of the shop couldn't tell me much of the history unfortunately, but the gentleman they bought it from apparently really liked the gun, he was just too small of a guy for such a large gun (not sure if he meant the weight of the gun or the caliber or both). regardless, he apparently bought it somewhere else in it's current condition, didn't do any of the work himself.

i still missed some pictures i should have gotten, and i obviously could not check feeding and chambering in the shop yet, but i'll do that as soon as i get it home next Tuesday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190604_122125.jpg (81.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 20190604_122106.jpg (82.1 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 20190604_122134.jpg (76.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 20190604_122056.jpg (81.8 KB, 65 views)
Old 06-04-2019, 6:47 PM

What are you planning to use this monster for? African Safari?
Old 06-04-2019, 8:20 PM
CGN Contributor

Anything I want to lol.
Old 06-04-2019, 9:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Especially in that chambering I would not fire a gun that was converted by an unknown gunsmith.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterabbits View Post
so over the weekend, i stumbled across a CZ in .458 Lott at a local gun store, that came with ammo, brass, dies, and projectiles for a sweet price. i didn't know much about the caliber, and admittedly, still don't know a lot in spite of spending several hours researching it since my purchase, but one thing that i discovered is that the gun i purchased is not the "typical" CZ in .458 Lott that's out there. i could not find any information regarding a gun with the same type of action as the one i purchased, until i finally figured out that mine is apparently custom built off a CZ VZ 24 action. i wish i had taken more pictures at the shop, but i do remember 1939 being mentioned, so that fits with the theory that it's a VZ24. i have found reference to this being done by other people, so i know it's possible.

now i'm just wondering what the gun might actually be worth. i know i'm happy with what i paid for it, just curious how good of a deal i got exactly. i only have the one picture, unfortunately - my apologies. thoughts?
$350 to $400 for the rifle is about right.
$50 to $100 more for the brass, dies and components depending on how much quantity.
Old 06-11-2019, 4:20 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
I have seen some articles where one was chambered in 458 Lott, and that was what was loaded into the chamber for the first shot. After that, 458 WM were loaded into the magazine for feeding of follow up shots
I just checked when I got home and verified that this gun, like what you referenced above, will not fit .458 Lott rounds in the magazine. So in .458 Lott, it's a single shot rifle unless I load .458 Win Mag in the magazine before I load the .458 Lott round.
Old 06-11-2019, 4:38 PM

I have a Ruger #1 in .458 Lott, purchased from a list member. It is a hoot to shoot with 500 grain loads. I do not think single loading it will slow you down much, and if you put the first shot in the right place you will not need a second.
I do have a question; if the action is controlled feed, how does one single load it if the rounds will not fit into the magazine?
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
Old 06-11-2019, 5:46 PM
CGN Contributor

It will load, but I cant push it down past the feed ramp.
Old 08-21-2019, 8:03 AM

This looks very similar to a rifle that i had put together 15 years ago and sold maybe 10 years ago. I built it on a CZ 24 reciever that came from Big 5 (they were cheap at that time).I built it such that the first round would be loaded in the chamber (458 Lott), that the magazine would be loaded with the Win Mag rounds. The barrel was from Midway and the chamber was lengthened by Gilman-Mayfield. Gilman-Mayfield also adjusted the mag feed rails and bolt face. The cross bolt in the stock was from a military Mauser and roughly installed. The stock was from Richards Microfit and was bedded with a lot of marinetex. The bolt handle was left untouched.
Old 08-21-2019, 5:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer898 View Post
I have a Ruger #1 in .458 Lott, purchased from a list member. It is a hoot to shoot with 500 grain loads. I do not think single loading it will slow you down much, and if you put the first shot in the right place you will not need a second.
I do have a question; if the action is controlled feed, how does one single load it if the rounds will not fit into the magazine?
Many CRF extractors will snap over the rim of the case during chambering. Sometimes the front of the extractor is beveled such that when the bolt is pushed forward it hits the cartridge rim and the bevel causes the extractor to be pushed outward until it clears the rim and snaps into the cartridge case extractor groove.

You can help this when you wrap your left hand under the action, use your index finger to push on the middle of the claw extractor, this will cause the extractor to bow out on the claw end and slip over the cartridge rim as the bolt goes forward

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF