Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Bernardino Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 8:36 AM

Default Shooting Area of of Nichols / Lake Elsinore

There is an area off of Nichols Rd. that some shooters are using.

Does anyone know if this is a legal shooting area?
Old 03-25-2013, 8:41 AM

have not found it yet I have heard the shots....seen the spent 12g shells...but where they were located could not be legit at all
Old 03-25-2013, 8:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10rdmag View Post
have not found it yet I have heard the shots....seen the spent 12g shells...but where they were located could not be legit at all
what makes you say it could not be legit? if it's blm land (i don't know) it is far enough away from houses and roads.

I don't shoot there because I just don't know.
Old 03-25-2013, 9:10 AM

Not sure where eactly you are asking, maybe you can give us a bit more details. I live right near there. There is a BLM area near by that IS legal to shoot at. I hve spoken to a ranger there personally and they are fine with it as long as you clean up your trash/shells
Old 03-25-2013, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtls1 View Post
Not sure where eactly you are asking, maybe you can give us a bit more details. I live right near there. There is a BLM area near by that IS legal to shoot at. I hve spoken to a ranger there personally and they are fine with it as long as you clean up your trash/shells
thanks bigtls.

I'll get some more location info, coords, directions.
Old 03-25-2013, 9:45 AM

the location I saw the shells was only about 1mile down from the start of the dirt road on the left side. very close to the road.
Old 03-25-2013, 9:16 PM

Question Directions

I'd be interested in exact direction please.

Derrel
Old 03-25-2013, 9:50 PM

10rdmag, sounds like where you found the shells is not a good/legal place to shoot. Remember, you must be 150 yds away from a road
Old 03-25-2013, 10:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

20 ?

“Silence makes cowards out of the best of men” –Abraham Lincoln

🇺🇸 ⚔️ 🦅

Wounded Knee is the prime example of why the Second Amendment exists, and why we shouldn’t be in such a hurry to surrender our Right to Bear Arms.
Without the Second Amendment we have no way to defend ourselves and our families.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:24 PM

I go there all the time. One of my main spots for the past few years.

Last edited by TACTIKILL; 03-14-2014 at 10:12 PM..
Old 08-20-2013, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACTIKILL View Post
I go there all the time. One of my main spots for the past few years. I found a new secret location near my house in Murrieta that ive been going to lately thats very similar.
Im out in Murrieta, were is this secrete location? pm me? please
Old 09-04-2015, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACTIKILL View Post
I go there all the time. One of my main spots for the past few years.
Same here. Lately I've been told that this area is now within city limits. Risky.
Old 10-08-2015, 8:30 PM

I can confirm this area is no shooting as I work for the Lake Elsinore Police Dept. The problem is this gents:

There are 2 residents in the area that started complaining about the gunfire to the city council. After a lot of research, ,it turns out the property is indeed within the city limits, and the main "impact area" is actually a wildlife preserve. As such, we have been instructed to patrol the area more regularly. Now, myself and MOST of my partners prefer to issue warnings and just send people on their way. A few *****s will issue citations. But previous posters are correct. The area has been destroyed and is absolutely littered with trash and spent shells. Signs are posted, but just as soon as they are posted, they are damaged, grafittied or removed. The way the City ordinance reads though, signage does not need to be posted, as it is your responsibility to know the city limits.

I am an avid shooter myself and just send respectful people on their way, I dont want to even look at their weapons. If you are contacted by law enforcement, set your weapons down on your tables or tailgate and show a little courtesy, 99% of the time you will simply be asked to leave.
Old 10-17-2015, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_jarhead View Post
I can confirm this area is no shooting as I work for the Lake Elsinore Police Dept. The problem is this gents:

There are 2 residents in the area that started complaining about the gunfire to the city council. After a lot of research, ,it turns out the property is indeed within the city limits, and the main "impact area" is actually a wildlife preserve. As such, we have been instructed to patrol the area more regularly. Now, myself and MOST of my partners prefer to issue warnings and just send people on their way. A few *****s will issue citations. But previous posters are correct. The area has been destroyed and is absolutely littered with trash and spent shells. Signs are posted, but just as soon as they are posted, they are damaged, grafittied or removed. The way the City ordinance reads though, signage does not need to be posted, as it is your responsibility to know the city limits.

I am an avid shooter myself and just send respectful people on their way, I dont want to even look at their weapons. If you are contacted by law enforcement, set your weapons down on your tables or tailgate and show a little courtesy, 99% of the time you will simply be asked to leave.
Thank you for not bringing down the boot on those of us with manners. I haven't been out there since the spring. Went out there with a few buddies and there were about 30-40 people out there when the PD came through and told us it was a no go. One younger officer was very cool about it and explained that it was within the city limits (maybe you?) and told us about xmas tree lane.

As we were packing up another older fat officer came by and unnecessarily tried to rile us up. Asking us why we were taking so long getting packed up that it looked like we were just shooting the **** and he was gonna "haul our asses in." Not sure what his issue was as we were quickly packing up, but making it a point to properly secure/lock all of our weapons and clean up our casings. We were very polite to him, yes sir, no sir. But damned if he wasn't an a-hole.

I can understand why that place got shut down though. Utterly destroyed with trash and metric tons of shot shells, broken appliances and the like. Not to mention the knuckleheads that didn't know the first thing about safety, and the groups of gangbanger types rapid firing all over the place.
Old 10-18-2015, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post
****snip****

I can understand why that place got shut down though. Utterly destroyed with trash and metric tons of shot shells, broken appliances and the like.
I stay as far away as I can from areas that are overwhelmed with trash. I feel dirty just being in the general vicinity of that kind of mess, almost as if by allowing myself to set up and shoot in that kind of environment I am condoning the behavior of the animals that created it.
Old 03-26-2013, 6:44 PM

im right down the road, will be checking it out...
Old 03-26-2013, 7:14 PM

I have been looking for a place local. I'm in Moreno Valley. Anyone have directions ? Thanks.

I also reload so I'd love to clean up the trash.
Old 06-10-2013, 3:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoevo View Post
I have been looking for a place local. I'm in Moreno Valley. Anyone have directions ? Thanks.

I also reload so I'd love to clean up the trash.
Thats far for you.

People shoot off Gilman Springs road I hear. I think it's legal but dont know for sure. You'd need to look at a map to be sure it's BLM.

I was told take gilman springs south towards hemet, when you get to the radar detector speed limit sign, Maybe 4? miles from the 60- take a left in the dirt roads going into the hills, and head back a ways- find a small dead end valley to shoot in. There are a bunch.

Otherwise, see if the 'rock pile' is open again.... or go to west end gun club.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:50 PM

Checked it out today, OK place to shoot but don't care for the single lane hillside road getting in/out, nowhere to go if someone is driving toward you.....

Last edited by adchrome; 03-27-2013 at 12:53 PM..
Old 03-28-2013, 11:18 AM

Spot in Murrieta? Fill me in! PM me, Id appreciate it greatly
Old 03-28-2013, 11:36 AM

Me too! Murrieta only 10 mins from my house
Old 04-02-2013, 7:43 AM

El Toro Rd is a nice one (Nichols) near Steele Peak. Ranges from 100 - 500 yds, and there is a spot to do more if you have 4wd.
This is exactly identical to knowing you make $27,000 a year, spending $37,000 a year, having $170,000 on the credit card and then whining that it's "unfair" when the card company won't let you run up another 10 large.

This, incidentally, is our Federal Government right here, right now, today -- just add the zeros to the above and you get our tax revenue, our spending, and our federal debt.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:32 AM

Nichols Rd. Is the spot your talking about East or West of the 15 fwy.
Old 04-03-2013, 4:19 PM
Veteran Member

I would sure hope East of the 15, and you'd have to go pretty far off to the west to be clear of homes.. Seems to me you would have more luck finding somewhere off of Lake Street East of the 15.

Sounds like a few people here think you are talking about the Perris BLM land out by Maywood range... I'd like to find something closer to Elsinore than out by Maywood though. If anyone hears of anything please PM me info
Old 04-03-2013, 5:06 PM

Hey ldarshay I have been to the blm by Maywood. We must be close and I have been looking as well for a area near Elsinore lots of places to shoot but if its legal I dont know.
Old 04-04-2013, 2:47 PM
Veteran Member

If it's not marked BLM land, I would venture to say that it is prob not legal. Whether you would get bothered if you shoot there is another story. I'm in the Canyon Hills area, where are you in Elsinore Barstow?
Old 04-04-2013, 6:32 PM

Alberhill area
Old 05-05-2013, 10:21 AM

I'm in elsinore also. Anny more info on this topic?
Old 05-13-2013, 9:19 AM

I want to know about this Murrieta area. If anyone finds out please on me.
Old 05-14-2013, 8:32 PM

Same here! I haven't been shooting in a while and wouldn't mind joining someone on one of these little shooting trips..
Old 05-15-2013, 7:48 AM

Spoke to a local officer there and was told this site is illegal. He told me it is actually in the city area.
Old 05-30-2013, 9:22 AM

Murrieta here too.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:18 AM

The spot where I go shooting at is a few miles East off Nichols rd, its private property but open to most people. The guy owns about 25 acres and has shooting areas set from 10 yds to 600+ yrs. He advertises his range in the local newspaper, and just asked to give him a few days notice if you want to use the range. Its a great time over there and nice that its only a few miles from the house.
Old 07-04-2013, 6:03 AM

What paper?
Old 11-08-2014, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickx1503 View Post
The spot where I go shooting at is a few miles East off Nichols rd, its private property but open to most people. The guy owns about 25 acres and has shooting areas set from 10 yds to 600+ yrs. He advertises his range in the local newspaper, and just asked to give him a few days notice if you want to use the range. Its a great time over there and nice that its only a few miles from the house.
I just heard about this off the 15 & Nichols, whats the name of the range: Rancho __ ? I heard he charges like $20 to shoot all you want for day?
Old 10-10-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMartin1776 View Post
I just heard about this off the 15 & Nichols, whats the name of the range: Rancho __ ? I heard he charges like $20 to shoot all you want for day?
I've heard of this place as well. Did you ever get a chance to go? If so, is a truck/suv needed?
Old 06-12-2013, 10:15 AM

I went to the Nichols/ Elsinore spot last week and there was No trespassing signs up and the side embankments were higher than usual so I didn't go in. I was so pissed.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:47 PM

Has anybody gone shooting at the Nichols spot lately??? I want to confirm if its officially shut down or not.
Old 07-06-2013, 1:51 PM

Going to go check out the Nichols shooting area! Ill let everyone know what I find!
Old 07-06-2013, 7:19 PM

No luck ya'll. Found nothin but no trespassing signs and empty 12 gauge