Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 03-05-2013, 9:37 AM

Default Turkey Hunting , blind and gear suggestions wanted

This is my first year turkey hunting I'm going to be taking my 11 year old daughter with me as well. Im trying to decide on what type of blind I should get. Im going to be hunting public lands so its something that I'll be packing in each time, and since Im going with my daughter I'll be packing the majority of the gear.

Since Im gearing up for the first time, Im also purchasing calls, decoys more cammo clothing and other gear. This is limiting me on how much I can spend on a blind, I was just thinking of buying the Stakeout blind cover since its light and cheap or is it better to just invest in a self standing popup blind?

any recommendations for a good box call?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Calguns Addict

If you buy a pop up blind ditch the camo gear and just wear dark clothing.
Likewise ditch the turkey vest and just carry a sling bag, backpack, whatever to keep your gear organized in your blind.

I have a heavy blind that is very spacious but packing it sucks. It's not for mobile hunting, it's for setting up a few days before you intend to shoot something. If I intend to be really mobile for turkeys I wear camo and tuck in behind a bush if I can, or bring a piece of camo mesh and I can stake between two garden stakes to act as a camo wall in front of me. After buying the material I figured out it would be cheaper to get one of the premaid ones like http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunti...3Bcat104365080, or http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunti...3Bcat104365080 or http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunti...3Bcat104365080

With the daughter coming along though I think you would do well to find a large, light, pop up like http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunti...3Bcat104365080 or http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunti...3Bcat104365080

Bow hunting or shotgun? Part of the reason I chose the blind I did is because I can draw a bow in it. If your'e using a shotgun you don't need quite as much space.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Also, box calls are pretty easy to use but harder to pack. Slates are a bit harder to use but easier to pack, and mouth calls are the hardest to use but definitely the easiest to pack. Also, with mouth calls you don't have to put the call down before you pick up your gun or bow.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:28 AM

thanks, we will be shotgun hunting. I just took the DFG advance hunting class on turkeys, it was pretty helpful they suggested using the Box Calls for calling the birds in from far away and then using the slate call for bringing them in close. I like those popup blinds doesn't seem too difficult but is it small for two people?
Old 03-05-2013, 11:30 AM

Newb....

You badly need to put her in for the California Waterfowl Junior hunts.....they are due in 10 days. They cost 4 bucks each but they are almost a guarantee hunt and juniors have a pretty high rate of success for being drawn. Also the DFG has hunts to apply for as well.

Here's the link to California Waterfowl
https://www.signup4.net/public/ap.as...e9jUA5ww%3d%3d

Lastly....public land turkey hunting is extremely tough for even the most experienced. You badly need to go with someone who has a little know how. Turkeys are nothing compared to ducks. They are very tough to hunt. On public land blinds are a big pain and IMO I can lean up against a tree and some brush and disappear....blinds arent as easy. But you have your daughter so keeping her still will be hard enough that is why a blind would be good. I bought a cheap little one from Tractor supply. It's light and easy to move and use it from time to time but on private land which is much different than public.

Your best bet is apply for those hunts and learn a little from the guides. Watch videos.

PM me for more stuff....I may have an oppurtunity for you and your daughter but it will be later in the season.

Last edited by jmonte35; 03-05-2013 at 12:19 PM..
Old 03-05-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbshooter View Post
thanks, we will be shotgun hunting. I just took the DFG advance hunting class on turkeys, it was pretty helpful they suggested using the Box Calls for calling the birds in from far away and then using the slate call for bringing them in close. I like those popup blinds doesn't seem too difficult but is it small for two people?
Good that class should be good.....lots of good info.....different calls work at different times.....don't think of calls as one works for distance and up close....they work differently on every bird. Every bird likes a certain call. I've had gobblers that would only come in to a box and some liked my mouth calling. I prefer mouth calling but that takes time to learn. But sometimes they just don't like the variety of mouth calls I have and only like the old nasty box or slate. Variety is key...find one that works use it. But like I said every bird is different.

Pop ups will be fine for you and your daughter. I use one and seat two adults all the time. It's tight but works. Don't depend on the blind to cover movement....you still need to be very still. They will still be able to see head turns and such. You need to be still unless you have the shoot through windows which are nice.

Last edited by jmonte35; 03-05-2013 at 12:20 PM..
Old 03-05-2013, 12:33 PM

@jmonte35 I already registered for all the DFG drawings but thanks for the tip on the CWF ones. I just applied for 4 of the junior hunts for my daughter and 4 of the adult ones for myself ;-) thanks for the tips on the blinds, my daughters not too fidgety but the popup might be a good idea, maybe I'll take her to BassPro this weekend to check them out, shes been begging me to take her there.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
@jmonte35 I already registered for all the DFG drawings but thanks for the tip on the CWF ones. I just applied for 4 of the junior hunts for my daughter and 4 of the adult ones for myself ;-) thanks for the tips on the blinds, my daughters not too fidgety but the popup might be a good idea, maybe I'll take her to BassPro this weekend to check them out, shes been begging me to take her there.
Not too fidgety means shes fidgety....know what I mean?..........turkey hunting requires you to be more still than any other animal. I've taken many guys out that are seasoned hunters and think that slight movements are ok. If you can see a bird I don't even blink....seriously they have that good of eyesight. You can't raise your gun up until they get behind something...so many little subtle things about turkey hunting. It's fairly easy to get em to about 100 yds but they are very alert to any movement inside that.
Old 03-05-2013, 3:09 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Ive never used a blind I just hide behind stuff. A blind wouldnt be bad if you are hunting a buddys orchard but on public I would try and stay mobile. If you hear one gobble a mile away I wouldnt count on calling it to your blind without a half dozen guys intercepting it. Ive taken some big birds off of BLM but you really need to find a spot nobody is hunting.

I usualy just slowly walk around and call. When its slow I glass for sheds and look for arrowheads while calling. guess it depends on your daughter wether she wants to sit or walk. Nice thing about the blind is she could hopefuly see it strutting and gobbling before she smokes it. Sometimes when your hiding behind a bush or log you miss part of the show.
Old 03-05-2013, 3:18 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

lol Ive hunted turkeys for close to 30 years and ive personaly killed over 100 and called in quite a few for other people too. Ive changed my hunting techniques all over the place so dont be surprised if in this thread I say ive never used a blind. But two years from now ill be saying you need a blind a blind is the only way. lol
Old 03-05-2013, 3:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieeater View Post
lol Ive hunted turkeys for close to 30 years and ive personaly killed over 100 and called in quite a few for other people too. Ive changed my hunting techniques all over the place so dont be surprised if in this thread I say ive never used a blind. But two years from now ill be saying you need a blind a blind is the only way. lol
The birds change and so does the smart hunter. What works one season might not work the next.
Old 03-05-2013, 3:47 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
, He calls em in close and I'm not talking the dumb birds. I'm talking birds that try to wind ya!

For the OP. Nothing is really set in stone. I've killed 4 (3 in the last 2 years and they were all on private) and about the only constant is that public birds can be one of the hardest things out there while private birds can be about as dumb as Kelly Bundy was in Married with Children.

Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 03-05-2013, 4:21 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
, He calls em in close and I'm not talking the dumb birds. I'm talking birds that try to wind ya!

For the OP. Nothing is really set in stone. I've killed 4 (3 in the last 2 years and they were all on private) and about the only constant is that public birds can be one of the hardest things out there while private birds can be about as dumb as Kelly Bundy was in Married with Children.

Good luck.
We should have let yours come up on the road with us, now that would have been close! He was a stubborn one.
Old 03-05-2013, 4:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Knowing how to call turkeys is a pretty important detail other than the type of call. Knowing how aggressive to call when to respond and even simulating a fight to bring in a confused gob is important and will make you successful.

I have never used a blind, natural cover is better because you can turn 360 and prepare for a gob that comes in from behind.
Old 03-05-2013, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
Knowing how to call turkeys is a pretty important detail other than the type of call. Knowing how aggressive to call when to respond and even simulating a fight to bring in a confused gob is important and will make you successful.

I have never used a blind, natural cover is better because you can turn 360 and prepare for a gob that comes in from behind.
All good info from Pie, lew, and Taper.

Like them I hate using a blind...BUT...your daughter being with you is a variable.....if you can keep still and keep your daughter still then some good camo and a comfortable Butt pad. The turkey vests are great because they are built for the mobile turkey hunter.

There is no replacement for mentorship and real hunting scenarios. Keep in touch Newb we've talked before.
Old 03-05-2013, 6:26 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
All good info from Pie, lew, and Taper.

Like them I hate using a blind...BUT...your daughter being with you is a variable.....if you can keep still and keep your daughter still then some good camo and a comfortable Butt pad. The turkey vests are great because they are built for the mobile turkey hunter.

There is no replacement for mentorship and real hunting scenarios. Keep in touch Newb we've talked before.
Yeah the blind will be a better experience for her at that age and for her first bird. I hate just blasting them I like to get a show first. It would be a lot better for her to see the bird struttin its stuff before the shot. Think his biggest problem is the public land . lol
Old 03-05-2013, 6:30 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:

Do they ever come in the way they should? I always give them a nice big flat pathway to me and always end up with one coming through the brush 10 feet behind me.
Old 03-05-2013, 8:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Do they ever come in the way they should? I always give them a nice big flat pathway to me and always end up with one coming through the brush 10 feet behind me.
Exactly! What most don't get is that even if you call, that big gob might not even gobble and come in stealth on you. There is a time to look around and a time to be still. It all depends. Experience will help as you well know. Us rookies? Well, what do we know
Old 03-06-2013, 6:33 AM

Thanks for all the good advice, thinking about getting this blind Trekker T2000. How does a shootthrough screen work?
Old 03-06-2013, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the good advice, thinking about getting this blind Trekker T2000. How does a shootthrough screen work?
Not to be an butthead newb but...really....how does a shootthrough screen work????.......Ummm...you shoot trough it. It's just a thin see through material that covers the windows so it disguises your movement while still being able to make a shot.

That blind will work.
Old 03-06-2013, 9:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
It's a light mesh that it easy to see through from the inside (where it's dark and you are close to the holes) and hard to see through from far away where it's light. You really do simply shoot through it. They are replaceable and you can usually buy the replacements from the manufacturer.

For turkeys you don't need them, turkeys don't seem to spook on the big black hole that is presented by an open blind window. Just keep the windows closest to the sun closed and the opposite ones open. The idea is to make the inside of the blind a black hole so that while you are wearing black clothing your movements will be disguised.

As long as you and your daughter can comfortably sit on whatever stools you bring AND maneuver a shotgun, you'll be good to go. Short barrels and tight chokes are nice for this sort of thing but not necessary.

Last edited by NapalmCheese; 03-06-2013 at 9:03 AM..
Old 03-06-2013, 2:57 PM

Ok more questions on gear, when I went to the DFG turkey hunting clinic they suggested when hunting on public lands I don't use decoys they seem to think that carrying and setting decoys make it more dangerous to get shot by other hunters. Do you guys believe in this or is this the DFG being overly cautious and paranoid?
Old 03-06-2013, 3:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Ok more questions on gear, when I went to the DFG turkey hunting clinic they suggested when hunting on public lands I don't use decoys they seem to think that carrying and setting decoys make it more dangerous to get shot by other hunters. Do you guys believe in this or is this the DFG being overly cautious and paranoid?
Perhaps you should think about that for a minute or two and think of the possibilities of this while being in a BLIND with your DAUGHTER.
Old 03-06-2013, 3:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Throw a hunter orange vest on the turkey decoy when you are moving.

Likewise, if you're walking around and calling for turkeys (another no-no according to the DFG), wear orange, something you can take off easily.
Old 03-06-2013, 3:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
Throw a hunter orange vest on the turkey decoy when you are moving.

Likewise, if you're walking around and calling for turkeys (another no-no according to the DFG), wear orange, something you can take off easily.
Orange? While turkey hunting?

I think he is implying that on public land decoys could bring shots your way by other hunters, mistaking it for a turkey.
Old 03-06-2013, 4:19 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

I rarely use a decoy cause I hate carrying them. I can hide behind a log, rock , bush , etc and call them to within feet of me without a decoy.

Have you scouted? Do you have a spot?
Old 03-06-2013, 5:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Orange? While turkey hunting?

I think he is implying that on public land decoys could bring shots your way by other hunters, mistaking it for a turkey.

Yup, orange while turkey hunting; while moving.

The last thing I want is to be walking to my turkey ambush site through some low bushes carrying a turkey decoy and have some dude shoot at me. Likewise, I don't want to be looking like a camouflage woods ninja crawling through the bushes randomly clucking to see if anything is in earshot only to be located by another hunter that feels they don't need to positively identify their target.

Don't get me wrong, while I'm in my spot calling in turkeys I'm tucked away and camouflaged, but when I'm walking to or from my spot or carrying a decoy (all on public land) you bet your sweet butt I'm wearing something orange. On private land, not so much.

Last edited by NapalmCheese; 03-06-2013 at 5:15 PM..
Old 03-06-2013, 5:12 PM
CGSSA Associate

Crow call for locating the birds and them set up your gear. I use a dek once and a while but when I do I use a jake some times the toms will stay out of range when you have a big Tom dek. Like was said before things change from hunt to hunt.

Don't over call less can be more and stay out late. I have killed a few around noon. And if nothing is working change it up you never know what will work.

Good luck!
Old 03-06-2013, 5:25 PM
Calguns Addict

I also throw on something orange when I'm carrying a dead bird back too. Basically any time I don't feel like I need to be sneaky.
Old 03-06-2013, 5:26 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Crow call for locating the birds and them set up your gear. I use a dek once and a while but when I do I use a jake some times the toms will stay out of range when you have a big Tom dek. Like was said before things change from hunt to hunt.

Don't over call less can be more and stay out late. I have killed a few around noon. And if nothing is working change it up you never know what will work.

Good luck!
I kill most of mine in the afternoon.
Old 03-06-2013, 5:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I kill most of mine in the afternoon.
As long as the hens have left the gobs and are sitting, you can call a gob and more than likely at least a pair. Mine usually come in 3's?

The guys that don't wait it out, don't kill birds.
Old 03-06-2013, 6:59 PM

Quote:
I rarely use a decoy cause I hate carrying them. I can hide behind a log, rock , bush , etc and call them to within feet of me without a decoy.

Have you scouted? Do you have a spot?
I don't have a spot yet, I working on some friends that have connection to private land. Im also looking for some suggestions for the JR hunt day on the 23rd, 24th. have any?
Old 03-06-2013, 7:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I don't have a spot yet, I working on some friends that have connection to private land. Im also looking for some suggestions for the JR hunt day on the 23rd, 24th. have any?
Try the cache creek wildlife area. Lots of turkey. Large area including Lake and Colusa counties. Watch for snakes.
Old 03-06-2013, 7:55 PM
CGSSA Associate

Call the DFW turkey biologist for info.
Old 03-06-2013, 8:11 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
As long as the hens have left the gobs and are sitting, you can call a gob and more than likely at least a pair. Mine usually come in 3's?

The guys that don't wait it out, don't kill birds.
Yeah ive called in a lot of threes also. Last year was a weird year had crappy luck calling in singles but had birds leave big flocks to come. Its usualy the opposite.
Old 03-07-2013, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Try the cache creek wildlife area. Lots of turkey. Large area including Lake and Colusa counties. Watch for snakes.
thanks for the tip I called the BLM and got some good advice on where to find them. Going to scout it out next weekend. a cool thing is your free to camp anywhere on that land so I can introduce my daughter to a little backpack camping at the same time. The funny thing about her is I can't get her to walk the dog around the block but give her a gun to carry and she'll hike all day
Old 03-07-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
thanks for the tip I called the BLM and got some good advice on where to find them. Going to scout it out next weekend. a cool thing is your free to camp anywhere on that land so I can introduce my daughter to a little backpack camping at the same time. The funny thing about her is I can't get her to walk the dog around the block but give her a gun to carry and she'll hike all day
Newb...one last suggestion. Ticks are horrible this time of year. HORRIBLE. Use some very good insect repellent that is effective on ticks. Being in a blind reduces it a little bit but just walking you will accumulate ticks. Check yourself often.

This includes when arriving back to your home.....my wife won't let my hunting clothes in the house during turkey season....one too many have crawled on her that I brought in. They are very sneaky and will find places to hide and wait...pockets, hair, etc. inside shirts. 90% of the ones I've found haven't bitten yet. I would say last year I had over 100 I found on me throughout the season.
Old 03-07-2013, 6:33 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Newb...one last suggestion. Ticks are horrible this time of year. HORRIBLE. Use some very good insect repellent that is effective on ticks. Being in a blind reduces it a little bit but just walking you will accumulate ticks. Check yourself often.

This includes when arriving back to your home.....my wife won't let my hunting clothes in the house during turkey season....one too many have crawled on her that I brought in. They are very sneaky and will find places to hide and wait...pockets, hair, etc. inside shirts. 90% of the ones I've found haven't bitten yet. I would say last year I had over 100 I found on me throughout the season.
last year I picked 3 off of me with toilet paper crushing them in the paper and throwing it in the toilet without flushing. A couple hours later all 3 were on the bathroom wall wtf?? Apperently they dont drown too well and can crawl out of a toilet.
Old 03-07-2013, 7:15 PM

Quote:
last year I picked 3 off of me with toilet paper crushing them in the paper and throwing it in the toilet without flushing. A couple hours later all 3 were on the bathroom wall wtf?? Apperently they dont drown too well and can crawl out of a toilet.
Bahaha, that sounds just like them.

I learned how to deal w/ them from my buddy. Put them on a rock and grind it w/ another rock. You cannot squish them between your fingers. You may be able to moisten you fingers and rub it apart but the rock method is easier (and less gross).

When they're out, they're out! If I get one I usually get between 5-10. I like going off paths into fields/bushes, though.
Old 03-07-2013, 9:13 PM

Quote:

Thanks great Advice, Insect/tick Repellent and Tick Remover is now on my Turkey Hunting packing list. I hate those little buggers (pun intended). they just creep me out and I have a close friend that got lime disease from one.