Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 03-04-2018, 5:54 PM
In Memoriam

Default Question about picking up personal property from sheriffs lock up

Hello everyone, I am off of probation soon and am curious about the process of reclaiming my personal property (including firearms). I know about having a release form, setting up an appointment, and having my ID. Though I am truly curious about the entire process and what I should bring with me besides the previously mentioned things. Thank you for any information that you can provide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutsniper687 View Post
lol I feel like going out with Jes would result in him in handcuffs, 760 would wind up on top of some chicks car while still in the wheel chair strapped down, and I would be no where to be found wondering the streets like a lost puppy trying to figure out where you guys went until i found a taco shop I called home.
Old 03-04-2018, 6:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Locks and cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 03-04-2018, 6:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfirejes View Post
Hello everyone, I am off of probation soon and am curious about the process of reclaiming my personal property (including firearms). I know about having a release form, setting up an appointment, and having my ID. Though I am truly curious about the entire process and what I should bring with me besides the previously mentioned things. Thank you for any information that you can provide.
It's going to depend on which county you're talking about, and also on the type of property and the circumstances under which the property came to be in the Sheriff's custody.

As a general rule, any property that was an instrumentality of a crime will not be returned.

Property that was seized as evidence will generally be returned following the court trial, although some jurisdictions may retain it through the appeal period.

Be sure that you do not leave property in the possession of the Sheriff for long after you have been notified that it is available for release. Most agencies will dispose of such property (including firearms) as abandoned after 180 days.

If the property is a firearm, make sure that the Sheriff is prepared to return it. Once notified that the weapon is available for release, you'll need to obtain a "Law Enforcement Gun Release" letter from the DOJ and present that letter when claiming your firearm. As a prerequisite, you'll need to ensure that the firearm is registered to you in the AFS.
Old 03-04-2018, 6:17 PM
In Memoriam

Thank you svt I was not informed about cases and locks. RickD I’m in San Diego, none of my property taken was involved in any crime, I was not provided with any law enforcement gun release though all of my firearms are from stores or went through stores. How would I acquire one?
Old 03-04-2018, 6:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Thank you svt I was not informed about cases and locks. RickD I’m in San Diego, none of my property taken was involved in any crime, I was not provided with any law enforcement gun release though all of my firearms are from stores or went through stores. How would I acquire one?
I should second SVT-40's comments about cases and locks. You need to ensure that you're prepared to take the weapons home.

If you purchased handguns through a California FFL, they'll be in AFS. Long guns purchased from a California FFL after 1-1-2014 will also be in AFS.

Here's a link to DOJ's webpage concerning the LEGR: https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/legrinfo
Old 03-05-2018, 6:58 AM

You will also need a FSC before they will give you your guns back.
Old 03-05-2018, 7:51 AM
Calguns Addict

I'm curious why did you wait till you finished probation, and how long was it? I understand that possess no firearms may be part of probation, but if you've been on probation for any length of time, it may be a problem. Most agencies don't have unlimited storage space, and after a conviction there is limited time to reclaim property.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:42 AM
In Memoriam

It was three years. I waited because I could not posses any weapons, ammunition, or explosive components while on probation and the judge said I could receive my property after the date it was over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
I'm curious why did you wait till you finished probation, and how long was it? I understand that possess no firearms may be part of probation, but if you've been on probation for any length of time, it may be a problem. Most agencies don't have unlimited storage space, and after a conviction there is limited time to reclaim property.

Quote:
lol I feel like going out with Jes would result in him in handcuffs, 760 would wind up on top of some chicks car while still in the wheel chair strapped down, and I would be no where to be found wondering the streets like a lost puppy trying to figure out where you guys went until i found a taco shop I called home.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:42 AM
In Memoriam

Thank you for the info guys. Really hoping I can get my stuff back.

Quote:
Old 03-12-2018, 11:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Thank you for the info guys. Really hoping I can get my stuff back.
Have you checked to see if the property is still in evidence? Three years is about 2 1/2 years longer than most agencies hold evidence of adjudicated cases.

The same would go for items held for "safe keeping" and were not actual evidence of the crime in question.

Quote:
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:33 AM
In Memoriam

I'll get the number and call today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
Have you checked to see if the property is still in evidence? Three years is about 2 1/2 years longer than most agencies hold evidence of adjudicated cases.

The same would go for items held for "safe keeping" and were not actual evidence of the crime in question.

Quote:
Old 03-26-2018, 8:10 AM
In Memoriam

I received a call back and my property is still in storage. Making arrangements and getting everything in order to pick them up

Quote:
Old 03-26-2018, 8:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I received a call back and my property is still in storage. Making arrangements and getting everything in order to pick them up
Great!! Good luck!!

Quote:
Old 03-26-2018, 11:41 AM

The last time I got mugged the cops wanted to keep my clothing to test it for DNA. It took over 3 years and about 50 trips to their property department to get it back.
Old 03-26-2018, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktavist View Post
The last time I got mugged the cops wanted to keep my clothing to test it for DNA. It took over 3 years and about 50 trips to their property department to get it back.
Okay, I'll bite- How many times have you been mugged and what was so special about the clothes that you would go to those lengths to retrieve them?
Old 04-06-2018, 6:57 PM
In Memoriam

Sorry guys need a bit more advice. I was told my property was still being stored on the 25’th of last month and that the sd evidence lock up was contacting the lakeside sheriffs (I don’t know why) and they would get back to me the next day. I haven’t received a call back. I really don’t want to because I’m not wealthy but should I get my attorney involved?
Old 04-06-2018, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

Have you called them back?
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:20 AM

Do tell what happened ??
Old 04-07-2018, 11:27 AM
In Memoriam

Yes, I have called them back again and left my name, phone number, and case number on the answering machine
Old 04-07-2018, 12:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Keep calling until you get a living person.

Quote:
Old 04-07-2018, 6:35 PM

You can call the lakeside station as well and ask to talk to the detective and/or detective sgt. They may refer you to the Santee station though. Not sure where the detectives office will be.
Old 04-07-2018, 8:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoSD View Post
You can call the lakeside station as well and ask to talk to the detective and/or detective sgt. They may refer you to the Santee station though. Not sure where the detectives office will be.
I’d blow up their phones Monday and if I didn’t have an answer by Tuesday afternoon (to account for maybe the right person having Monday off) i’d Refer it to my attorney.
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 04-16-2018, 7:43 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoSD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_rider View Post
I’d blow up their phones Monday and if I didn’t have an answer by Tuesday afternoon (to account for maybe the right person having Monday off) i’d Refer it to my attorney.

Thanks guys, I left another message on the machine for the armory/evidence lock up. I'll give a try on calling the Lakeside/Santee substations myself to see what's going on.

Quote:
Old 05-12-2018, 10:52 PM
In Memoriam

Thank you for your help and support guys. Spoke to both the sheriffs gun desk and my attorney and well the I am going back to court. Because a certified court document (which are about thirty bucks a page) aren’t enough for a certain detective to sign off on a release. Probably the last time any of you will hear from me here unless you put anything up for sale.
Old 05-13-2018, 6:40 AM

Sounds like there’s more to it then, but best of luck to you.