Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2018, 10:30 PM

Default transporting a long gun

i'm picking up a new kel-tec ksg tomorrow. what's the requirement for transporting it home? i see turner's employees selling every customer a cable lock to run through the action. is this required for a ksg? what about a lockable case? required? thanks.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:34 PM

Where you picking it up from most stores will make you buy a new cable lock if the gun doesn't come with one I know I had to buy one for Mauser that when down the barrel and out the back while another let me throw it in a case and call it good
Old 05-13-2018, 10:35 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyraid View Post
i'm picking up a new kel-tec ksg tomorrow. what's the requirement for transporting it home? i see turner's employees selling every customer a cable lock to run through the action. is this required for a ksg? what about a lockable case? required? thanks.
They have to sell you a lock, or you can buy one at Kmart just before you go and bring it and the receipt to pick it up. But you can't leave without one.

Lockable case generally not required; bring any old long gun case you like.

See also the wiki - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...e=Transporting. Things can be more complicated, but don't have to be.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 05-14-2018, 9:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I talked Turner's into selling me one for a penny. It took some effort and I did bring in a pocketful of them too.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Can't you sign safe affidavit for long gun? I am picking up shotgun tomorrow at ammo bros I don't remember uying locks for long guns.

Last edited by edgerly779; 05-14-2018 at 10:05 AM..
Old 05-14-2018, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
Can't you sign safe affidavit for long gun? I am picking up shotgun tomorrow at ammo bros I don't remember uying locks for long guns.
Yes, you can use the safe affidavit for long guns. It's the Feds who complicate that for hand guns.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Old 05-18-2018, 9:25 PM

It's not required that you place a lock on a long gun in CA to transport it. They must sell you a lock because the weapon must be locked at home to prevent unauthorized access. If you have proof that you have an approved safe at home no lock is required to be purchased. Only handguns must be transported in a locked case. And no doubt AW's but I'm not certain.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Comments embedded ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
It's not required that you place a lock on a long gun in CA to transport it.
[[ TRUE ]]

They must sell you a lock
[[ Partially TRUE - see safe affidavit, below ]]

because the weapon must be locked at home to prevent unauthorized access.
[[ FALSE ]]

If you have proof that you have an approved safe at home no lock is required to be purchased.
[[ TRUE for long guns ]]

Only handguns must be transported in a locked case. And no doubt AW's but I'm not certain.
[[ Yes, Registered Assault Weapons - RAWs - must be transported in a locked case ]]

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 05-19-2018, 12:38 AM

I bought the gun at turner's in Pasadena. they asked if I had a safe at home, to which I replied yes. none of their business in my opinion. I took it home in the cardboard factory box. no more questions asked. while I was there, on a Monday, there were lots of other people picking up guns. all the long guns went home in factory boxes without any type of lock trying to be sold with them.
Old 05-19-2018, 3:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

lapriester fud. lock required at home means nothing. Only need lock to leave store for long gun if you do not have safe. Cable lock not legal for locked transport of handgun , Againn only to leave store with.
Old 05-19-2018, 6:06 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
I bought the gun at turner's in Pasadena. they asked if I had a safe at home, to which I replied yes. none of their business in my opinion. I took it home in the cardboard factory box. no more questions asked. while I was there, on a Monday, there were lots of other people picking up guns. all the long guns went home in factory boxes without any type of lock trying to be sold with them.
The factory cardboard box meets CA requirement for a long gun to be "encased" [PC 16505] while it is transported when outside of a vehicle.
If no container designed for a firearm is utilized, then the container needs to be locked. [PC 26405(c)]
^Not using factory cardboard box or not using a firearm case. Using a container not designed for a firearm, such as a music instrument case, requires the container to be locked.

Penal Code 16505
For purposes of Chapter 7 (commencing with Section 26400) of Division 5 of Title 4, a firearm is “encased” when that firearm is enclosed in a case that is expressly made for the purpose of containing a firearm and that is completely zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened with no part of that firearm exposed.

Penal Code 26400
(a) A person is guilty of carrying an unloaded firearm that is not a handgun when that person carries upon his or her person an unloaded firearm that is not a handgun outside a vehicle while in any of the following areas:
(1) An incorporated city or city and county.
(2) A public place or a public street in a prohibited area of an unincorporated area of a county.
(b)(1) Except as specified in paragraph (2), a violation of this section is a misdemeanor.
(2) A violation of subdivision (a) is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment, if the firearm and unexpended ammunition capable of being discharged from that firearm are in the immediate possession of the person and the person is not in lawful possession of that firearm.
(c)(1) Nothing in this section shall preclude prosecution under Chapter 2 (commencing with Section 29800) or Chapter 3 (commencing with Section 29900) of Division 9, Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, or any other law with a penalty greater than is set forth in this section.
(2) The provisions of this section are cumulative and shall not be construed as restricting the application of any other law. However, an act or omission punishable in different ways by different provisions of law shall not be punished under more than one provision.
(d) Notwithstanding the fact that the term “an unloaded firearm that is not a handgun” is used in this section, each individual firearm shall constitute a distinct and separate offense under this section.

Penal Code 26405
Section 26400 does not apply to, or affect, the carrying of an unloaded firearm that is not a handgun in any of the following circumstances:
(c) When the firearm is either in a locked container or encased and it is being transported directly between places where a person is not prohibited from possessing that firearm and the course of travel shall include only those deviations between authorized locations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 05-19-2018, 8:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I bought the gun at turner's in Pasadena. they asked if I had a safe at home, to which I replied yes. none of their business in my opinion.
They were not asking to be nosy; owning a safe, and filling out a safe affidavit, is one means to avoid buying a lock.

You don't have to own a safe, and if you do, you don't have to tell anyone.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 05-25-2018, 9:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
The factory cardboard box meets CA requirement for a long gun to be "encased" [PC 16505] while it is transported when outside of a vehicle.
If no container designed for a firearm is utilized, then the container needs to be locked. [PC 26405(c)]
^Not using factory cardboard box or not using a firearm case. Using a container not designed for a firearm, such as a music instrument case, requires the container to be locked.

Penal Code 16505
For purposes of Chapter 7 (commencing with Section 26400) of Division 5 of Title 4, a firearm is “encased” when that firearm is enclosed in a case that is expressly made for the purpose of containing a firearm and that is completely zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened with no part of that firearm exposed.

Penal Code 26400
(a) A person is guilty of carrying an unloaded firearm that is not a handgun when that person carries upon his or her person an unloaded firearm that is not a handgun outside a vehicle while in any of the following areas:
(1) An incorporated city or city and county.
(2) A public place or a public street in a prohibited area of an unincorporated area of a county.
(b)(1) Except as specified in paragraph (2), a violation of this section is a misdemeanor.
(2) A violation of subdivision (a) is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment, if the firearm and unexpended ammunition capable of being discharged from that firearm are in the immediate possession of the person and the person is not in lawful possession of that firearm.
(c)(1) Nothing in this section shall preclude prosecution under Chapter 2 (commencing with Section 29800) or Chapter 3 (commencing with Section 29900) of Division 9, Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, or any other law with a penalty greater than is set forth in this section.
(2) The provisions of this section are cumulative and shall not be construed as restricting the application of any other law. However, an act or omission punishable in different ways by different provisions of law shall not be punished under more than one provision.
(d) Notwithstanding the fact that the term “an unloaded firearm that is not a handgun” is used in this section, each individual firearm shall constitute a distinct and separate offense under this section.

Penal Code 26405
Section 26400 does not apply to, or affect, the carrying of an unloaded firearm that is not a handgun in any of the following circumstances:
(c) When the firearm is either in a locked container or encased and it is being transported directly between places where a person is not prohibited from possessing that firearm and the course of travel shall include only those deviations between authorized locations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.
Given this, it would seem that this would not need to be locked.
http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product...torm/im3300rfl
And this would.....
http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product...e/storm/im3300
Based on the definition of expressly.
ex·press·ly
ˌikˈspreslē/
adverb
adverb: expressly
solely, specifically, particularly, specially, exclusively, just, only, explicitly
"a machine expressly built for spraying paint"
for a specific purpose; solely.
"the house was expressly built for entertaining"

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-26-2018, 7:30 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimebakmybulits View Post
Given this, it would seem that this would not need to be locked.
http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product...torm/im3300rfl
And this would.....
http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product...e/storm/im3300
Correct.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 05-26-2018, 10:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Check on the state web site to see if your safe/storage cabinet is listed. Copy the make and model number down so you can list it on the safe form.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

picking up an 870 Tuesday at turner's Torrance, they had me sign a safe affidavit, i'll be good to go!! also kudos to Torrance turner's they made the ppt pleasant for a change!!

Last edited by whutsup40; 05-26-2018 at 10:29 AM..
Old 05-26-2018, 10:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just did dros at ammo bros and signed affidavit. I have a file with my dros's and copy of vehicle registration and info on my safes. Makes dros fast and organized.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Correct.
Interesting, any current case law on this? Who is allowed to be the manufacturer of the case? We built custom wooden cases for our junior rifle teams 22LR competition long guns, what would prevent and make unlawful the unlocked use of a guitar case expressly modified to carry a long gun?

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-26-2018, 12:29 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimebakmybulits View Post
Interesting, any current case law on this? Who is allowed to be the manufacturer of the case? We built custom wooden cases for our junior rifle teams 22LR competition long guns, what would prevent and make unlawful the unlocked use of a guitar case expressly modified to carry a long gun?
No current case law on this.

Appears any vendor holding a valid business license to make firearm related accessories can do it.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Comments embedded ...

Is the trunk of my car still considered a “locked case” for a RAW? I keep it locked from inside the passenger compartment as well, so it is fully locked.

Or do my RAWs now need to each be in a locking hard case inside the trunk? I’m going to need a bigger trunk then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-28-2018, 2:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidfreshdope View Post
Is the trunk of my car still considered a “locked case” for a RAW? I keep it locked from inside the passenger compartment as well, so it is fully locked.

Or do my RAWs now need to each be in a locking hard case inside the trunk? I’m going to need a bigger trunk then.

Of that I am not sure. I think I would err on the side of one or more separate cases.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 05-28-2018, 5:53 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidfreshdope View Post

Of that I am not sure. I think I would err on the side of one or more separate cases.
I would also err on side of caution in using seperate locked containers, instead of relying on the trunk of your vehicle.

Need a locked container to transport the RAW from your vehicle to an authorized location and vice versa.
So, if you are relying on the trunk, how will you transport when you remove them from it?

Old 05-28-2018, 9:21 AM

Quote:
I would also err on side of caution in using seperate locked containers, instead of relying on the trunk of your vehicle.

Need a locked container to transport the RAW from your vehicle to an authorized location and vice versa.

So, if you are relying on the trunk, how will you transport when you remove them from it?

I load in my garage with the door shut and unload at the shooting spot that I pull up to in my car, there is no foot travel involved, but I see your point if you go to a traditional range.