Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 12-29-2013, 6:29 AM

Default Shooting sticks?

How many of you guys use shooting sticks(1,2,3) legged in the field? Or is that just extra junk to carry when you can use your pack or a tree for support?
Old 12-29-2013, 6:43 AM

I use a monopod stick if I'm in open country. Coyote hunting, I use a bipod
Originally Posted by Rusty_Buckhorn View Post
WTF are "illegal nationals"? Being that they aren't from here, wouldn't that make them "illegal internationals"?
We're not supposed to judge all Muslims by the acts of a few "crazies".
But the acts of a few American "crazies" is enough to judge all Americans who own guns.
Old 12-29-2013, 6:53 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

I know guys that are way better hunters than me that swear by shooting sticks or bipods. But personaly for me I use nothing. I lost a couple animals trying to deploy my bipod when i should have been shooting. Since then i just use limbs branches rocks packs etc. There is usualy something right in front of me that makes a good quick rest. The only place ive had a problem is antelope hunting in the taller sage. If its not that tall you can use a pack pretty easy but in a lot of that stuff you need sticks or a tall bipod.
Old 12-29-2013, 7:04 AM

I use a pair of bipod shooting sticks. Once you use them, you'll never go without. I have one of the adjustable monopods, but they are hard to steady when your heart is racing and you are breathing heavy from humping it up a hill. No issues steadying yourself with the bipod when in the same conditions.
I can only imagine that a tripod setup is even better...
Old 12-29-2013, 7:22 AM
CGSSA Associate

I carry a collapsable one. But I first look for anything nearby to use as a rest or my knee if that won't work than I pull it out, it's my last choice.
Old 12-29-2013, 7:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I made a set out of 5/8" dowel from Home Depot and painted them. they work fine and are cheap to replace if they break.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 12-29-2013, 7:32 AM
Calguns Addict

I bought a pair of good quality walking sticks that are adjustable for length, Black Diamond Trailbacks. I use them as walking sticks and as shooting sticks. If I don't want to use them as a walking stick, they collapse to 24 inches, and can be easily attached to or stored in my day pack.
Old 12-29-2013, 7:38 AM
Veteran Member

Learned to shoot without shooting sticks, way back when no one ever used them. Heck, I never even heard of shooting sticks when I first learned to hunt. We just shot from basic positions, kneeling, prone, etc. Bipods were for military use, not hunting, but maybe I'm dating myself.
Old 12-29-2013, 7:50 AM
CGSSA Associate

I learned to shoot without 'em as well back in the late '60's (different positions and using the vegetation, rocks, etc. as a rest), started using a Harris bipod about 10 years ago and really like it. My daughter use a set of simple Stoney Point shooting stix when she got her fist buck. IMHO, it's nice to have an extra tool or two to aid you in a successful hunt but learn to shoot without them so your not dependent on them all the time.

Last edited by zio707; 12-29-2013 at 2:00 PM..
Old 12-29-2013, 9:45 AM
Veteran Member

Arrow

Mono-Pod. It seems to deploy and adjust faster than the bi-pod or tri-pod, and I don't normally feel a need for any more support than the mono-pod provides.

Sometimes there is not a suitable tree or stump where you need it and sometimes a pack is just too low. You can always elect to not deploy the sticks if there is something better or you can take the shot offhand.
Old 12-29-2013, 9:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I use them all the time for coyote hunting. My guns have bipods on them for going prone but I set up my shooting sticks when I get in position before I start my caller. I like to sit in the middle of sagebrush clumps where I get better visibility rather than lay down on a bipod.

I also practice and hunt with shooting sticks for my big bore shooting. Here and in Africa.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

Last edited by Fjold; 12-29-2013 at 1:11 PM..
Old 12-29-2013, 10:17 AM
Calguns Addict

The only time I ever used one was when a pig guide insisted. I didn't see the need.

I'd rather just shoot from position - it's not hard to go to sitting or prone if I'm not comfortable with an offhand shot or there isn't a tree or something around to rest on/against.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 12-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Banned

I've been thinking of adding a combo walking/shooting stick. There is a $14.99 monopod at Cabelas.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...=0&Ntt=Monopod
or a good walking stick and one of these:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/BOGge...Shooting+stick
Old 12-29-2013, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

sure its merits have been discussed or argued many times here, but all in all they work. Being a purist I prefer accuracy based on my hold/position.

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.
-Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zio707 View Post
I learned to shoot without 'em as well back in the late '60's (different positions and using the vegetation, rocks, etc. as a rest), started using a Harris bipod about 10 years ago and really like it. My daughter use a set of simple Stoney Point shooting stix when she got her fist buck. IMHO, it's nice to have an extra tool or two to add you in a successful hunt but learn to shoot without them so your not dependent on them all the time.
Same here, I too learned to hunt without shooting sticks back in the 60's. However, in hunting coyotes where I like to find a place to sit, the sticks add stability and enhance an accurate shot. I have never taken a shot from the prone position (while hunting animals), so bipods are an unnecessary item for me.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

I carry a mono pod or sticks with me all the time, the more you use them the quicker and easier it is to get in position. I don't know any experienced hunter that would prefer to shoot w/o a rest if one is available.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:50 AM

I use a bipod mounted on my rifle. They are great when you have time to deploy them.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:42 AM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
I use them all the time for coyote hunting. My guns have bipods on them for going prone but I set up my shooting sticks when I get in position before I start my caller. I like to sit in the middle of sagebrush clumps where I get better visibility rather than lay down on a bipod.
Sitting postion is how I normally use my Harris 12-25s (swivel). I don't like using the shorter bipods while hunting, can't see over the tall grass, etc.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:25 PM
Calguns Addict

I learned to shoot without them at a young age. I would postion shoot or use a handy tree/rock etc to help on longer shoots. I often shot with one knee down and staedy on the other.
Later I used a Harris bipod in the open Wy and it worked well. It was the tallest one they make.
Nowdays with my disablity. I cannot get down on my knee etc as I use did before and cannot bend over for the harris bipod due to back surgery. So a Bipod/tripod works well for me. I have used a bipod on the rifle and one like a monopod under my elbow for long shots in Africa with great success. My knees are so bad I need a knee pads for them if they are on the ground.
Old 12-29-2013, 8:44 PM

I thought it might be good to have just in case.. It could also serve as a walking stick up and down the canyons if you need. Thanks for the input guys
Old 12-29-2013, 9:19 PM

I have a set when I buck hunt. I usually have a set for my hog hunters. 2 wooden dowels held together by a Ping pong size ball of rubber bands. Cheap, reliable, disposable.
Old 12-30-2013, 4:52 AM

I've carried a set I made from two sections of tent pole from a tent that bit the dust. You know, the fiberglass kind that are shock-corded together. I lashed them together with 550 cord about 3" from the end. I've carried them for about 11 years now, and have never used them. But they are very lightweight, and with my luck, the day I stop carrying them is the day I'm gonna need them.
Old 01-28-2014, 9:33 AM

Thats what i use too. They are cheap and they work!
Old 01-28-2014, 10:38 AM
Banned

all I use is my backpack if I need to
Old 01-28-2014, 11:14 AM
Calguns Addict

I've been carrying DIY tent pole ones as well for the last couple of years, set up tall enough that I can shoot from high kneeling (or in one case while standing in a ditch) and over sage brush. So far they have helped account for an antelope at 300ish yards and two deer at 200 yards. My last shot on a deer was off a dirt clod after having just lost my sticks the day before.

Anytime you can set up and ambush your prey you can have your sticks out and ready to go. I wouldn't take the time to dig them out of a pack and set them up unless the animal I wanted to shoot was obviously otherwise engaged (bedded down or something) and I was going to take a pretty long poke. For quick shots I have a shooting sling, and for quicker and closer shots I can hasty sling; if I can't find a suitable rest right in front of me first.

Last edited by NapalmCheese; 01-28-2014 at 11:17 AM..
Old 01-28-2014, 11:57 AM

I use shooting sticks. Also, they also come in handy when walking hills and on unstable ground. I use shooting sticks or a bipod. They provide a more stable platform for shooting verses standing or kneeling. If you were in a shooting competition would you stand, kneeling, or lay down and use a bipod? Next best would be shooting sticks. Just more stable platform to use sticks or bipods. If I don't have time and I am next to a tree, I use a branch or just kneel and shoot so I don't miss taking a shot. But, if you don't miss in whatever method you have been using, none of this matters. Just my opinion. Good luck hunting. Come on rain!!!!
Old 01-28-2014, 12:18 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Monopod with PRS SSP-1 when on the move. Doubles as a walking stick. Trees work fine as long as they are available when you're ready to take the shot. If I'm sitting in one spot baiting and waiting my tripod sitting or bipod prone works best.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:03 PM

I bought a Primos trigger stick...the long tripod.*

http://www.primos.com/products/trigger-sticks/

*I got mine for right around $80 not the price shown in the link.

I love it...I can use it either sitting or standing. It's extremely fast to deploy on flat or uneven ground and very stable.

Definitely worth checking out.

With that being said I would say I just use my sling to stable my shot about 75 plus percent of the time.

A good sling is hard to beat.*

For a sling I have my Dad who has been a leather worker for longer then I've been around custom make me one to fit my needs.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I have a collapseable mono stick.

I'll use it if I get a chance to set up otherwise I prefer an offhand shot.

NRA Benefactor Member
NRA Golden Eagle
SAF Life Member
CGN Contributor
Old 01-31-2014, 5:21 AM

I would like 2 get a nice set of 20 /30 shooting sticks just for when iam siting on the hill side
Old 01-31-2014, 5:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have been hunting since the late 79's and have yet to use any type of shooting sticks. But, I have a collapsible set and a telescopic walking stick with a rifle rest built in. So, maybe someday, I'll give them a try.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 01-31-2014, 9:50 PM

I learned without them, then went to a bipod and found it cumbersom and weighed the rifle down in a way I didn't like. Then I went to shooting sticks homemade, not commercial ones and found it made me a better shot and more confident at longer ranges. I practice at 300 yds. and can keep my shots under 3" at that range. I feel I owe it to the animal I'm hunting to make the best possible shot I can.

Richard
"This country with it's institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing goverment, they can excercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismemember or overthrow it."
Abe Lincoln

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Liberalism is as useful as a screen door on a submarine.”
unknown
Old 02-01-2014, 10:59 AM
Calguns Addict

I make my own now mostly use it for coyote calling.For big game I will either sit use a knee or back pack or what ever.I haven't really taken that much big game a few deer and hogs.
Nice racks are much better. You can grab both sides of the rack to help stabilize while mounting.
Quote:
ProShooter's
You'd never guess that human beings are apex predators reading some of the weepy vaginas in this thread, it's a moose people, who cares.