Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 02-13-2013, 3:49 PM

Default yugo/german mauser questions

I'm about to buy a Yugo/German mixed number mauser. Has german eagle markings, Yugo crest on receiver, some number match. Looks very clean.
Any reason why I shouldn't buy it? Looks like the Yugo's captured it and used some of thier parts to rebuild it. Has CAI import markings..Doe's that hurt the value?

Last edited by winetoad; 02-13-2013 at 3:50 PM.. Reason: added text
Old 02-13-2013, 4:15 PM
Veteran Member

Depends. You aren't specific with what model it is.

If it is a M 24 then it is a Nazi capture.

If it is a M24/47 then it just has mixed parts from a re-arsenaling.

If it is a M48 and has Nazi markings then I would not shoot it, let alone touch it with a 10 foot pole. That would mean some idiot mixed the parts with a K98 or some other Mauser. The M48s were designed to have interchangeable parts that could fit other Mausers variants, only other M48s.
Old 02-13-2013, 6:05 PM

Well, here's another noobie question. It has a bent bolt. stock is cut out for the bolt. And, how do I tell an m24 or M24/47 from a K98?
Old 02-13-2013, 6:11 PM
Veteran Member

Hmmmm. The M24 series were all made with straight bolts. They did bend some of them, but they did not cut out of the stock for the bolt. The M48s never had the cut-out either and they were all made with bent bolts.

Look on the left side of the reciever (along the bolt), right above the woodline. There should be a 'KAR 98" on it. If not look close to see if may have been scrubbed.

Also, if there are Nazi eagles all over the reciever, bolt and magazine floor plate, then it is most likely a K98

If any of these are correct, then the rifle is just a Yugo capture K98.

Last edited by Emdawg; 02-13-2013 at 6:14 PM..
Old 02-13-2013, 6:21 PM
Veteran Member

If it is good shape, then I would pay $400 to $475 for it.

A K98 capture with mismatching numbers doesn't demand the high price of a good original K98.
Old 02-13-2013, 6:28 PM

More notes. Above the CAI ST ALR VI is the marking K98 German.
BYI mark on trigger guard?. Mod 98 stamp on receiver. Forearm stock is in front of rear sight. Thanks for the help. Really appreciate it.
Old 02-13-2013, 7:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Does it look like the rifle in the pics below? This rifle is a Yugo conversion of a German GEW98 into a K-98K type rifle. The Yugo K-98K's are well known for their often superb accuracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 02-13-2013, 8:43 PM

Looks close to your pictures. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:38 PM

In general, most Yugo-made and -reworked rifles are pretty good guns.

You can find all sorts of Yugo "put-together" K98s, ranging from straight German rifles with an overstamped Yugo markings to rebuilds of G98s to factory refurbs of mixed parts, to unit armorer referbs to "OK privates, we have lots of parts, lets make some rifles" grade.

On top of that there is the M48 which looks more-or-less like a K98 but is build on the intermediate-length action of the M24.

I guess I date from the golden age of C&Rs (ie: 10 years ago); I find $400+ for a Yugo K98 shocking!

The Truth will set you free, but first it will make you damn mad!

Old Scottish proverb:

If ya' cinna' drive the fooging trook, dinna buy the fooging trook!
Old 02-14-2013, 5:21 AM
Veteran Member

The YC 98s (Yugo Capture 98s) are standard German K98s that were refurbed by the Yugos. They are different from the M24/47/48s in that they are a standard length action, while the M24/47/48s are an intermediate length action. A standard length action has 7 7/8" between the trigger guard screw holes, and an intermediate length has 7 5/8".
The M24s were made by someone else, and refurbed in 1947 (hence the 24/47 designation) and usually have straight bolts. The M48s were made in Yugoslavia, usually have elm wood stocks(some call it teak wood), though the walnut M24/47 stocks will fit and can be found on them. M48 also have a bent bolt. But, it isn't bent as much as on a K98. It is bent about mid point between a straight botl and a K98 bolt.
Old 02-14-2013, 9:17 AM

The first K98 I bought is a Yugo capture. FAR better condition than any Russian capture I've ever seen. The person who had it before never de-cosmolined it and seems either he never cleaned it or shot corrosive ammo and didnt clean properly. I was able to get the barrel to a mostly bright condition. Much better than any crap that came out of Russia. Usually the YC are much better quality.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Banned

Location: Sage (eastern edge of Temecula Wine Country), Southwest Riverside County

These are definitely interesting and collectable rifles, with a metric ton of history! One of the world's most famous and recognizable bolt action military rifles, top German quality, and about half the price or less of what the only other comparable rifle - an '03 or '03A3 Springfield - would cost..

One could assemble a real nice little collection or collection sub-set with just captured 98k's - U.S. G.I bring-back, Russian capture, Romanian capture, Yugo capture, and the ones captured and re-worked or assembled from unfinished German rifles by the Czechs.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus von W. View Post
These are definitely interesting and collectable rifles, with a metric ton of history! One of the world's most famous and recognizable bolt action military rifles, top German quality, and about half the price or less of what the only other comparable rifle - an '03 or '03A3 Springfield - would cost..

One could assemble a real nice little collection or collection sub-set with just captured 98k's - U.S. G.I bring-back, Russian capture, Romanian capture, Yugo capture, and the ones captured and re-worked or assembled from unfinished German rifles by the Czechs.
I have a bringback or at least one that came over here before things were import marked (byf 44), the Yugo capture, an RC duv 41 and an RC CE 42. K98s really are my favorite C&R rifle.