Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 11-07-2009, 4:11 PM

Default Glock 27 vs. Glock 23 for concealed carry

Trying to decide between these two options, Glock 27 and Glock 23. I know that the 27 is alot easier to conceal, obviously, but Id like to put a +0 finger extension on the magazine which would make it similar in grip length to the 23. I have also heard that the 27 has a lot of recoil for its size and have heard it is harder to shoot.

Anyone out there that has carried either of these that can put in some input? Im leaning toward the 27 but am concerned about how easy of a gun it is to shoot. Opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 11-07-2009, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp805 View Post
Trying to decide between these two options, Glock 27 and Glock 23. I know that the 27 is alot easier to conceal, obviously, but Id like to put a +0 finger extension on the magazine which would make it similar in grip length to the 23. I have also heard that the 27 has a lot of recoil for its size and have heard it is harder to shoot.

Anyone out there that has carried either of these that can put in some input? Im leaning toward the 27 but am concerned about how easy of a gun it is to shoot. Opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Weight and height is also a factor on how well it conceals. I'm 5'10" and weight 185 . My Glock 26 hides real well with a IWB holster. On the other hand, my Glock 23 sticks out like a sore thumb.

For someone who is about 6' tall and weight 450 pounds (not suggesting that you are, never seen you before) , that person can hide a cannon under there if he/she wants to.
Old 11-07-2009, 5:54 PM

I've got a g27. I don't have ccw YET but I can speak to how it shoots.

Its a bit of a bear to shoot. That's helped with a finger extension. But what do you expect from a very light/small weapon shooting a larger pistol caliber.

I also have a g22, ill likely switch between the two depending on outfits.
Old 11-07-2009, 8:28 PM

I'm 6'2" and 260 lbs I daily carry a glock 27 IWB. It conceals just fine.I used to have the +0 fingertip extension on my mags.But it would print pretty bad so I took them off and fired plenty of rounds training myself to shooy with out the extensions.As for being difficult to fire,I'd only say that it's definently pretty snappy,but controllable.
Old 11-07-2009, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIP2000GLO View Post
Weight and height is also a factor on how well it conceals. I'm 5'10" and weight 185 . My Glock 26 hides real well with a IWB holster. On the other hand, my Glock 23 sticks out like a sore thumb.

For someone who is about 6' tall and weight 450 pounds (not suggesting that you are, never seen you before) , that person can hide a cannon under there if he/she wants to.
Yeah im 6'2" 185lb. Im just thinking that a 23 might be a little long. The 27 seems like it will be easliy concealable. I just have a larger hand, so im a little concerned with how it shoots with my larger hand.
Old 11-07-2009, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Rat View Post
I'm 6'2" and 260 lbs I daily carry a glock 27 IWB. It conceals just fine.I used to have the +0 fingertip extension on my mags.But it would print pretty bad so I took them off and fired plenty of rounds training myself to shooy with out the extensions.As for being difficult to fire,I'd only say that it's definently pretty snappy,but controllable.
Did the extension help to reduce the "snappy" effect? I have a larger hand, long fingers basically as I am 6'2". I am hoping that the extensions will corect the problem of not getting my whole hand on the grip. But with the extension, it almost makes the grip the same size as the 23. I guess I really should shoot it before I decide to buy it. I also have a Springfield XD 4" 9mm that I am considering carrying instead of purchasing a Glock.
Old 11-08-2009, 4:32 AM

I carry both of these models..The perks of the Glock 27, ankle holster, IWB..It is a little monster though, yet still manageable. I have the mag extenders +0 and it made a world of difference.
My all time favorite carry is my Glock 23c. With the right holster it can be tucked away under even a t-shirt and its a medium frame so its also great for shooting regularly..My vote is if youre gonna go one way or the other go G23

"If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge" -Ronald Reagan speaking of the newhall incident in 1970.
Old 11-08-2009, 4:46 AM

I like and carry both. G23 regularly; G27 in NPE’s or when wearing more “fitted” cover garments (standard mag w/no extension, however always carry the G23 mag as my backup mag).

While there’s slightly more muzzle flip with the G27compared to the G23 when shooting 180g, the difference pales in comparison when shooting 165’s versus 180’s through the G27.
Old 11-08-2009, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Did the extension help to reduce the "snappy" effect? I have a larger hand, long fingers basically as I am 6'2". I am hoping that the extensions will corect the problem of not getting my whole hand on the grip. But with the extension, it almost makes the grip the same size as the 23. I guess I really should shoot it before I decide to buy it. I also have a Springfield XD 4" 9mm that I am considering carrying instead of purchasing a Glock.
Yes the extension did help with the "snappy muzzle flip"But as I said earlier I can shoot the G27 pretty well on account of training enough with it.For me the extensions were more of a hinderence when it comes to cover garments,the little "point"on the mag would grab and "point"out of thecover garment.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:23 PM

I carry a G27 most of the time. It's relatively easy to conceal even with the "pinky extension." More importantly it's more comfortable than carrying a larger gun. I tend to shoot it as well or better than any full size gun I own. I say carry the smallest gun that YOU can shoot well. My only problem with glock is the width. It's the only thing that can make concealing the 27 tricky.

Brian
Old 11-09-2009, 6:30 AM

I have both and I have only carried my 27. It is very easy to conceal even w/OWB and I have the grip extension which is a must. The 27 does have a little more recoil to it but not such a big difference that you can't control it. I love both of them.
Old 11-09-2009, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf1973 View Post
I carry a G27 most of the time. It's relatively easy to conceal even with the "pinky extension." More importantly it's more comfortable than carrying a larger gun. I tend to shoot it as well or better than any full size gun I own. I say carry the smallest gun that YOU can shoot well. My only problem with glock is the width. It's the only thing that can make concealing the 27 tricky.

Brian
Isnt the Glock 27 fairly narrow? I believe it is 1.18" wide. What else is there in a semi auto .40 that is narrower and easier to conceal than that?
Old 11-09-2009, 11:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I carry a G27 in a S.O.B. holster and it works great for me. Very comfortable to wear.

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!
Old 11-10-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Isnt the Glock 27 fairly narrow? I believe it is 1.18" wide. What else is there in a semi auto .40 that is narrower and easier to conceal than that?
A Kahr PM40... I personally do not like them, but they are considerably narrower. Walther PPS as well is much thinner. That one I have not shot and therefore have no opinion of. Looks like a great ccw if the quality/reliability is there.

Brian
Old 11-10-2009, 10:01 PM

Thanks for all the replies and input. I went out and shot the 27 at the range and liked it, so thats what I bought.
Old 11-11-2009, 7:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I know I'm coming in late...but I had this exact same question several years ago....

The solution...I bought BOTH the 27 & the 23 (and the 22). I have both the 27 & 23 on my CCW Permit. I carry either one, or both, depending on the assignment and risk factors.

Check out the G-Code IWB kydex holster, I can carry either one in the same holster. One of the most comfortable holsters I have ever used. Check www.gunnersalley.com to see what this holster looks like.
Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Law Enforcement Instructor
CCW USA FIREARMS TRAINING
www.CCWUSA.com
"like us" on Facebook for class discounts
www.facebook.com/CCWUSA
Old 11-17-2009, 9:06 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies and input. I went out and shot the 27 at the range and liked it, so thats what I bought.
Good luck with that bp805. For concealment it was probably the better choice. Just train with it a lot and you'll get good with it, practice trigger pulls using duds A LOT.

I have a G23 and have shot my father's G27, they are both amazing guns but as all firearms, take much practice to become really good with.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:49 AM

I have a 23 and really like it. I looked at the 27 and shot it. I don't have big hands, but I had trouble hanging on to the 27. What opened my eyes was standing at the the gun shop I laid the 27 on top of the 23 and it was really not that much smaller. So I went with the 23.
Old 11-19-2009, 7:40 PM

I'm not a big fan of the 27 even though I own one.

They shoot great, but for carry I have a Goldielocks problem with them.

Typically when you're picking carry guns you first have to figure out how/where you want to pack. Most folks end up with gun to wear on their belt and then 1 or more smaller hidout guns to pocket carry or some other sort of deep concealment.

The problem with the 26/27 size guns is that they're too big for a comfortable deep concealment guns. Things like the single stack Kahr PM/MK, J-Frames, Keltecs, etc are FAR superior.

On the other hand if you're looking for a gun to carry on your belt, the 26/27 are smaller than then need to be to conceal and carry well on the hip. By stepping up to a 19,23,29,30 sized guns you get more capacity, more controlability, longer site radius, bigger caliber etc.

If you were only going to have 1 carry gun the 27 would be a great way to go, but as soon as you decide to have 2 you'll instantly want one that's bigger and one that's smaller.

On any given day I could pull the 27 out of the safe and wear it, but if my clothing of the day will permit belt carry, why would I pack the 27 instead of the 29, and if I'm going to pocket carry why would I try to stuff the 27 in there when the Kahr is so much easier to carry and draw?
Old 12-04-2009, 8:47 PM

I recommend the Glock 18! Imagine putting that on your CCW application!

John 14:6
Old 12-16-2009, 5:55 PM
CGN Contributor

I just got my CCW yesterday, I have the 23 and thinking of getting the 27 next, you should have at least two on your permit. We are allowed four
Old 12-16-2009, 8:27 PM

Quote:
I wish glock would make a thin single stack 9 or 40. I ended up going with a g36, not because I really wanted a 45, but because it is the thinnest gun glock makes.
Old 01-10-2010, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerGlock View Post
I wish glock would make a thin single stack 9 or 40. I ended up going with a g36, not because I really wanted a 45, but because it is the thinnest gun glock makes.
I'm interested in putting one of the G36's in my hands just to check it out.. but I can't even find a shop that has one in stock to look at.
Old 01-17-2010, 7:15 PM

It terms of feel they're more like a 19 that's just a little longer front to back in the grip. I would have bought a 36 if they'd offered it in 10mm. But the idea of building a slimline gun around the fattest cartridge you chamber for seemed more than just a little stupid.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:32 AM

I own both.
The Glock 27 with the GAP magazine floor plates was the best set up. (9+1)
If you are going with the Pierce floor plates extension for the 27, you might as well carry the 23. The Pierce extension makes the grip on the Glock 27 just as long as the Glock 23. With the Glock 23 you can carry 11+1, and 13+1 in a free state, ( no magazine capacity reduction ) The law could change here in CA.
The Pierce extension is unpredictable, you may or may not be able to get to pack 10 rounds in your Glock 27 magazine. A small number of people have had reliability problems with the pierce extension. I could only get 9 in mine.
If you decide on the Glock 27, you can get extra Glock 23 magazines and use them as spares, they will fit the 27 and 23 as well.
Good guns both of them. Very accurate and after you shoot the 27 for a while you will master it.
Good luck.
Old 03-07-2010, 8:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I have a G27 that fits nicely in a SOB holster. Very comfortable to carry and easy to conceal!

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!
Old 03-11-2010, 4:02 PM

Glock 23 all day. As long as your not wearing skin tight clothes it hides fairly well. Next one is going to be the 30sf.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:53 AM

I carry both and have for almost 10 years in Riverside County.

Big picture, the extension adds a miniscule amount of size to the weapon but improves the shooting characteristics greatly. My patterns during quals are exactly the same between the two. Carrying a 23 and 27 also lets me interchange mags with the 27 allowing a 13 round G27 incase of a failure of the 23.

I would suggest everyone carry two weapons (CCW/off duty)
Animal protection groups don't get nearly as excited.
Some people actually LIKE rats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu_yoshi View Post
Yall need us around to teach ya English. The immigrant Asians use proper grammar better than most Americans today. Now I'm by far any good at math.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
I love Dicks!

Last edited by Midnightblue 72; 03-22-2010 at 12:56 AM..
Old 03-22-2010, 6:25 PM

I carry a G23 concealed and I'm a fairly small framed individual, it hides pretty well w/ jeans and a untucked tshirt, it depends on your setup I think. I highly recommend the MTAC IWB if you're looking for a holster
Old 03-22-2010, 6:31 PM
CGN Contributor

I bought a G27 few days’s ago, now I am waiting.