Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 05-30-2011, 8:24 PM

Default Thoughts on Appleseed LTR Build Project

My Ruger 10/22 Stainless gets out jail next week, so I've been making a list of everything I need for a decent Appleseed LTR. Before I pull the trigger (jk), what are your thoughts?
  • Scope: BSA 4-16x40 Mil-Dot
  • Rings: Weaver Quad Lock
  • Swivels: Uncle Mike's
  • Sling: Tactical Intervention Quick Cuff Model 1 with HD Swivels
  • Upgrades: Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor & Volquartsen Automatic Bolt Release
  • Extra Magazines: 4 x Ruger 10-round clear

I'll upgrade the stock later, but for now I'll make due with the factory synthetic. So, what do you think?

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2011, 8:57 PM

Default 4x16?

you have good taste. i like your list. the question i have is at a 4 power minimum, is that going to be to powerful for your offhand? also, the appleseed i attended is shot at 25 meters. will your scope able to focus back that close?
Old 05-30-2011, 10:53 PM
CGSSA Leader

That's way above and beyond the usual LTR!

I've seen a few of the Tactical Intervention slings at Appleseed, and they haven't worked out all that well. That style of sling is much more "operator" than "practical," although if you work with it at home and can get it nice and snug and repeatable in prone, then go ahead. We recommend the basic, cheap M1 GI sling for a reason..!

Nice scope. You probably won't need more than 4x for Appleseed, but it'll certainly work. 4x is low enough for offhand in my experience.

Talk to one of the instructors offline and we can tell you how to use the mil-dot reticle to find your zero -- the math is slightly different than the usual "Inches, Minutes, Clicks" talk because the mil-dot is calibrated in mils, viz. milliradians, rather than minutes of angle.
Old 05-31-2011, 7:47 AM
Veteran Member

Those clear magazines are a big help - I had a guy down the line from me who was always mixing up his magazines!

Depending on how horrible the trigger is on yours the next step would be to get a drop-in hammer/sear replacement and do that at the same time you're installing the bolt release. I'd do that before messing with the stock, and if you get the regular cheap sling that would actually cover most of the cost.
Old 05-31-2011, 9:09 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I should have mentioned that I decided on a mil-dot scope because that's what I have on my .308.
Old 05-31-2011, 2:20 PM
Arizona Ex-Pat
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I recently started a new LTR build.
I changed the stock to the Hogue overmold
The scope is the BSA Boss 3x9 with a donut hole/dot reticle
I stoned all the trigger parts for a smoother pull and did the mag release mod.
I have Uncle Mikes swivles and a USGI Nylon 2point sling
(2) clear butler creek mags

So i would say your build looks good. Consider the sling change though

Ps 25:4-5 NLT Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you.
Old 05-31-2011, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by as_rocketman View Post
That's way above and beyond the usual LTR!
Talk to one of the instructors offline and we can tell you how to use the mil-dot reticle to find your zero -- the math is slightly different than the usual "Inches, Minutes, Clicks" talk because the mil-dot is calibrated in mils, viz. milliradians, rather than minutes of angle.
The mildot reticule is a range estimation aid. Once you know the distance to your target, in yards or meters and you know how much you are off in inches its still the same calculation as to how many minutes adjustment is required as most "mildot" scopes still have Minutes of Angle (MOA) turrent adjustments.

You can get mildot reticlue/mil click turrets but they are unusual.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:48 PM
CGSSA Leader

Yep. But then the crosshairs or the front post of iron sights are a range estimation aid too!

The only mil-dot scope I've used (a Bushnell) adjusted as 1/10 mil per click. If you could see the impacts on paper through the scope, it was a snap to zero. But if not, if it's say the typical 1/4 MOA per click, all you have to do is remember that 3.5 MOA = 1 mil (roughly), and you're good to go.

To the OP, one other comment: Five magazines is the magic number. That way you can run a rapid-fire AQT and have one magazine left over with "emergency rounds," in case you have some misfires.