Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 08-10-2013, 5:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Disabled Veteran Kicked Off Boardwalk Because Of Service Dog

Quote:
A disabled U.S. Army veteran, who served our country for 19 years, says he was kicked off the North Wildwood boardwalk last night, simply for having his service dog by his side.

Jared Goering served 1 tour in Iraq, 2 in Afghanistan, and spent 19 years as an active member of the Army. Jared said, "I served from 1993 to 2012." He then told NBC40 he couldn't sleep Thursday night because he felt so disrespected by a North Wildwood police officer.

Goering said, "Just like any veteran with disabilities with a service dog, to come back and be harassed and shown no respect, it upset me - it really bothered me. I was up most of the night thinking about it."

A North Wildwood police officer issued Jared and his wife a summons because of the dog. Goering said, “I expected to get more respect from him because of the jobs that we both have to do."

"He mockingly asked if all veterans get service dogs," said Jared’s wife, Sally Goering, “his dog is medically necessary and he is a service dog."

In 2009, Jared was serving in Afghanistan when his vehicle was blown up by IEDs, twice, within 36 hours. Now, Jared uses his 3-year-old service dog, Gator, short for Navigator, to help him walk, and to get up and down stairs.

Jared explained, "I also suffer from PTSD, severe anxiety, depression - and my dog plays a big part in my life. His main purpose is mobility but he also helps me with all my emotional problems from combat."

Jared and his wife Sally say the incident occurred on the 26th street North Wildwood boardwalk. The Goering family said, even after showing the officer the dog's service identification card, he still issued them a summons and kicked them off the boardwalk.

Sally said, "We want the public to be aware that there are different types of disabilities and different types of service dogs - and police officers need to be educated about this."

North Wildwood police officials say there are no pending charges, but that there are other circumstances surrounding the case.

The mayor of North Wildwood says they will issue a formal apology, if appropriate, pending the outcome of the investigation.
http://www.nbc40.net/story/23096761/...of-service-dog
Old 08-10-2013, 5:10 PM
Veteran Member

As the story is written, that is despicable conduct the the LEO. The combat veteran is a side issue. The Americans with Disabilities Act specifically prohibits such action by law enforcement.

Went through this with my past employer. A disabled person wanted to bring his service animal into the facility and a ranking member said that was a no go. A person assigned to building security did research and found we were in violation of ADA. The security person found out a few pieces of info: 1. The animal has to provide a service, much like a piece of medical equipment. 2. The animal was NOT REQUIRED to have identifying information and 3. There are some VERY NARROW and very rare circumstances where the animal can be excluded.

Not to bash law enforcement officers but this is something for which they are not trained and many of them have a hard time learning that there are laws, instutitions and people much more powerful than them.

Former Front Sight Commander Member
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
NRA Instructor: Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Range Safety Officer

Last edited by diverwcw; 08-12-2013 at 8:25 AM.. Reason: additional information
Old 08-10-2013, 5:41 PM

Scary the disregard some LEO'S are showing to the general public. Seems to be happening more often. Hope this veteran receives justice and an apology.
Old 08-10-2013, 7:52 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
North Wildwood police officials say there are no pending charges, but that there are other circumstances surrounding the case.
^ This seems like a critical piece of information that's lacking further explanation in the article...

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

You can trust me. I'm a arecrooman... aircroomen... airecrewmen... I fly on planes.
Old 08-10-2013, 7:56 PM
Veteran Member

I see so-called service dogs everywhere these days. What exactly makes it a service dog...legally, I mean?

Old 08-10-2013, 8:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

need info on what specically the dog was trained to do and where it was trained

http://adata.org/service-animals

we will let the judge decide
Old 08-10-2013, 8:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifax View Post
I see so-called service dogs everywhere these days. What exactly makes it a service dog...legally, I mean?
Since I'm not the owner of the dog I can't say what his reason for needing it is, just didn't think I'd see the same adversarial tone the police took with this veteran on calguns.

Last edited by John03; 08-10-2013 at 8:44 PM..
Old 08-11-2013, 12:36 PM

Typical cop attitude. Never served his country and is trying to feel manly. Sickening.
Old 08-16-2013, 6:11 AM
In Memoriam

Well, hopefully that summons has the LEOs name/badge number on it, because if that were me, I would push it up their chain of command so they can in the future not deny veterans who were combat wounded/or anyone who has a service dog with legit reasons. Ignorance is bliss but, damn thats gonna get you fired also...
Old 08-16-2013, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifax View Post

A: The ADA defines a service animal as any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability. If they meet this definition, animals are considered service animals under the ADA regardless of whether they have been licensed or certified by a state or local government.

Service animals perform some of the functions and tasks that the individual with a disability cannot perform for him or herself. Guide dogs are one type of service animal, used by some individuals who are blind. This is the type of service animal with which most people are familiar. But there are service animals that assist persons with other kinds of disabilities in their day-to-day activities. Some examples include:
_ Alerting persons with hearing impairments to sounds.

_ Pulling wheelchairs or carrying and picking up things for persons with mobility impairments.

_ Assisting persons with mobility impairments with balance.

A service animal is not a pet.

http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm
You may not like guns, and choose not to own one. That is your right. You might not believe in God. That is your choice. However, if someone breaks into your home, the first two things you're going to do are, 1) Call someone with a gun, 2) Pray they get there in time.