Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 03-06-2013, 5:50 PM
Banned

Default A CCW comes with a cost

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...191305639.html
Old 03-06-2013, 5:57 PM

Wow, you would think that self defense instructors would warn people about stuff like that ...!
Old 03-06-2013, 6:38 PM
Banned

Default LTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hostetter View Post
Wow, you would think that self defense instructors would warn people about stuff like that ...!
Many do. Here in San Berdoo county the Sheriff's staff recommends at least $1 million in insurance covering both civil and criminal liability.

Until we see some Tort reform, this is a sad reality those of us who carry must face.

As they said during training, "if it's a good shoot, prosecution is the least of you're worries. It's the civil suit that will take your house".

Personally, I have three policies. My homeowners, which I have little faith in as it excludes "intentional acts" and the NRA and USCCA policies. Better than nothing. The HO is coming due and I may switch to State Farm as I hear they have a rider available that provides some protection.
Old 03-06-2013, 7:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Generic photo of gun in hand. (Thinkstock)
WTF kind of starter pistol/squirt gun is that? LOL

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785
Old 03-06-2013, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate View Post
The long overdue Glock revolver
Old 03-07-2013, 5:40 AM

Good write up, good post. I just called my insurance gal (Allstate) to get a price for a million dollar policy. Have not received terms of policy and will not go for it unless it appears to cover me in firearms incident. So far she has told me its going to cost about $400. per year - not sure if thats the best deal. I may start a thread on comparing insurance companies.
'I own the guns I own because I acknowledge mankind's shortcomings instead of pretending like they don't exist. There are evil men in this world and there just may be a time when I need to do the unthinkable to protect me or my family,'
Joshua Boston

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics, is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." Plato
Old 03-07-2013, 5:47 AM
Mortuus Ergo Invictus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie50 View Post
Good write up, good post. I just called my insurance gal (Allstate) to get a price for a million dollar policy. Have not received terms of policy and will not go for it unless it appears to cover me in firearms incident. So far she has told me its going to cost about $400. per year - not sure if thats the best deal. I may start a thread on comparing insurance companies.
Make sure to look carefully at the terms. I can tell you that allstate in particular likes to hire big firms to litigate against its insured if it thinks it can save significant money. They are not alone in this however.
My posts may contain general information related to the law, however, THEY ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE AND I AM NOT A LAWYER. I recommend you consult a lawyer if you want legal advice. No attorney-client or confidential relationship exists or will be formed between myself and any other person on the basis of these posts. Pronouns I may use (such as "you" and "your") do NOT refer to any particular person under any circumstance.
Old 03-07-2013, 7:19 AM

Great article. Its unfortunate that this is a normal reaction to a life saving act. Congrats, you are still alive, now we are going to make your life a living hell.
Old 03-07-2013, 7:48 AM

The reality of a CCW in California is you will PAY one way or another.

I knew from the start that it would be Legal Fees that would really hurt.

So I figure:

If the gun is displayed $5,000-$10,000

If the gun is drawn $10,000 - $ 15,000

If the gun is shot $25,000 - $ 40,000

If I hit someone $50,000 - $ 250,000

These costs can be balanced against the medical costs of letting the Violent Criminal have their way. and that ain't going to be cheap either

The question is how much are you willing to pay to defend yourself and your loved ones?

As they say Freedom ain't Free.
Old 03-07-2013, 8:04 AM
Veteran Member

There is a big difference between can I shoot vs, should I shoot? Nothing wrong with running away to live another day. I have won every single gunfight I ever avoided.

Another way to look at it is think in terms of a lawyer is attached to every bullet you shoot. You are responsible for that bullet from the time it leaves the barrel until it stops traveling. Once you pull that trigger you cannot recall that bullet.

The average gunfight lasts two to three seconds with two to three rounds being fired. That two to three seconds WILL FOREVER change your life and it will definitely NOT be changed for the better.

Former Front Sight Commander Member
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
NRA Instructor: Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Range Safety Officer
Old 03-07-2013, 8:35 AM
Veteran Member

I recommend joining USCCA and use the Self Defense Shield policy.

*** In comparing the virtues of various calibers, using hollow point ammo: it is absolutely undeniable that, while a 9 mm or .40 S&W may or may not expand, a .45 will never shrink. ***

***Mature Up***
Old 03-07-2013, 8:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate View Post
LOL,
Old 03-07-2013, 8:53 AM
King- Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calplinker View Post
Many do. Here in San Berdoo county the Sheriff's staff recommends at least $1 million in insurance covering both civil and criminal liability.

Until we see some Tort reform, this is a sad reality those of us who carry must face.

As they said during training, "if it's a good shoot, prosecution is the least of you're worries. It's the civil suit that will take your house".

Personally, I have three policies. My homeowners, which I have little faith in as it excludes "intentional acts" and the NRA and USCCA policies. Better than nothing. The HO is coming due and I may switch to State Farm as I hear they have a rider available that provides some protection.
I've never ever seen an insurance policy that will cover criminal acts. I read one that will reimburse you for a small amount of legal fees if you are acquitted. But that's it.
Old 03-07-2013, 9:07 AM
Veteran Member

tagged.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Si vis pacem, para bellum

╠╦═╬ Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency.
Old 03-07-2013, 9:31 AM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey D View Post
I recommend joining USCCA and use the Self Defense Shield policy.
There is an issue with your link. Thinking you mean USCCA

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?
Old 03-07-2013, 11:21 AM

tagged
Old 03-08-2013, 5:49 AM

I am with State Farm and when I called I made it very clear that I CCW and wanted an umbrella policy to protect me. They called the underwriters and the way umbrella policy work is they cover any civil liability against our family now for my selected 2 million. They dont cover work related and everything else isnt written what they include or exclude but simply put it covers personal liability. If I am sued for any reason in civil court my polices are all maxed out then a 2 million umbrella kicks in to cover up to that limit.

I have read all the USCCA crap and the others that are out there and its obvious they are "gaming" with the words in order to not pay out. I emailed and asked for the policy limits. There were things in there about the use of "lead" bullets etc. I trust a company like state farm more then I would an out of state deal like what is offered specific to CCW. Besides $300k isnt hardly going to be enough. In addition to that they pay out AFTER you are acquitted. Meaning you cover the costs up until that point.
Old 03-08-2013, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1979 View Post
I am with State Farm and when I called I made it very clear that I CCW and wanted an umbrella policy to protect me. They called the underwriters and the way umbrella policy work is they cover any civil liability against our family now for my selected 2 million. They dont cover work related and everything else isnt written what they include or exclude but simply put it covers personal liability. If I am sued for any reason in civil court my polices are all maxed out then a 2 million umbrella kicks in to cover up to that limit.
Out of curiousity, which type of policy or policies do you carry with State Farm? Is the protection you refer to for "any civil suit" covered under Homeowner's, Life, Auto, some special policy, or some omnibus "total coverage policy?"

I ask because insurance in my family is spread out all over the place. I've got auto with Geico, my wife has auto under State Farm, and our Homeowner's is under State Farm, and our life insurance is under yet a different provider.
Old 03-08-2013, 2:16 PM

We have everything through State Farm so when I added the Umbrella it cost me only $30 a month because of all the discounts for multiple policies. They told me the difference between Umbrella policies and I dont recall what it was. I just know that what they offer is a TRUE Umbrella policy vs what they described others offer which in some way sounds the same but actually isnt. I wish I could recall what I was told but I just know I was happy to have the proper one and signed up.

My understanding is that first you have to max out all your current policy limits then you can add the Umbrella over the top. It covers liability suits brought against me and doesnt include or exclude specific coverages. I guess when someone decides to sue you in civil court our Sheriff Office says they attack where the money is which would be your home owners policy because not many people just have hundreds of thousands sitting in an account. We have a house payment so taking our house or cars isnt worth much when there are loans against them.

We have life, disability, auto, home, and umbrella all through State Farm.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
We have a house payment so taking our house or cars isnt worth much when there are loans against them.
Brian, they take the house and you keep on making the payments!
Old 03-09-2013, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Stanislaus View Post
Brian, they take the house and you keep on making the payments!
Sucks to be a citizen with stuff they can take! Maybe the illegals have it all figured out, lol.
Old 03-09-2013, 6:34 AM

Default Insurance thread would be a great thing for us CCW folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie50 View Post
That would be a very useful and beneficial thread
Old 03-09-2013, 6:54 AM
King- Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocalmike View Post
That would be a very useful and beneficial thread
It's a pretty complicated issue for a forum. So much bad information is provided in these threads.

1) all insurance policies have exclusions and conditions.

2) there is NO standard umbrella period.

I've said it many times here and elsewhere. You have to read "your" policy! Not what someone on the Internet writes. And while your agent may know what they are talking about, what they "say" is not your insurance policy.
Old 03-10-2013, 5:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
We have everything through State Farm so when I added the Umbrella it cost me only $30 a month because of all the discounts for multiple policies. They told me the difference between Umbrella policies and I dont recall what it was. I just know that what they offer is a TRUE Umbrella policy vs what they described others offer which in some way sounds the same but actually isnt. I wish I could recall what I was told but I just know I was happy to have the proper one and signed up.
When I looked into an umbrella policy with state farm, it didn't cover self defense for criminal or civil court/lawyer cost whether it be in your home or not. You may want to investigate further on your policy. Perhaps they have changed it in the last year but as of June 2012, they didn't cover any self-defense related BS.

Also note, most of the self defense policies like the ones you get through the NRA endorsed company only pays as a reimbursement if you do not get convicted of a crime.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 03-10-2013, 8:22 PM

Here's what you need to find out in a nutshell:
1. Most personal/homeowner liability insurance covers acts of negligence.
2. Most specifically exclude intentional acts.
3. Self-defense (be it with firearm or fists) is an intentional act and therefore excluded unless...
4. Some personal/homeowner liability insurance also state they exempt self-defense from the intentional acts exclusion. (Yes it's a double negative.)
5. Do not go by anything verbal. If it isn't written in your policy it doesn't mean squat. If an agent claims you're covered when what you read in the policy seems to indicate you aren't, ask that agent to put it in writing above their signature. Don't be surprised when they decline.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:58 PM

Location: Born on the Sacramento River. Raised by an a Alligator, sired by a Lion. Backbone o' barbed wire!!

I'm pretty sure the NRA sent me something a few months back about a new policy they have. Haven't checked it out though.
Old 03-11-2013, 9:53 AM

Really sad that we have turned into a society that protects the criminals and punishes the law abiding citizen . We have to lock our doors at night, alarm our cars and houses to protect ourselves from criminals. We should have every right to defend our lives against criminals that have no regard to other human beings. We should't have to purchase high insurance to protect our personal property that we have work hard to buy, just to have some dirt bag attack us for no reason and we use whatever force necessary to escape great bodily injury of death. Our Judicial system is becoming a real joke!!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
One of his cases that went to trial involved a motorcyclist whose money was falling out of his pockets on the freeway. The man shot at people who were attempting to steal his cash before he could scoop it back up.

“He plea-bargained to attempted obstruction of a highway, which is a Class C misdemeanor,” Evans told Yahoo News. “He did not receive a complete acquittal, but he sure as heck didn’t get convicted of attempted murder or assault with a deadly weapon.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher Space Chimp View Post
Where can I get a pair..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViPER395 View Post
I like it colored
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidBilly View Post
I became mesmerized by a thick black shaft.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member

Your standard home owner's policy will not cover you unless it was an "accidental" shooting. Admit to an "accidental" shooting and you can be charged with manslaughter! Its a catch-22.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hostetter View Post
Mine did. $50k average cost
Old 03-16-2013, 5:07 AM

Been thinking about this more and will be adding the USCCA as well. I still want the umbrella because it covers many things but since it doesnt outline specific CCW things it cant hurt to add coverage that does.
Old 03-16-2013, 8:19 AM
Veteran Member

This is the normal "use a gun bogeyman". Yeah, there are SOME instances of this kind of thing for sure but in the huge overwhelming per cent of the time people's cost for defending themselves is minimal. If the scenario this post depics is COMMON I'd like some specific examples given with links and additional data to back up the claim. I'm not calling BS on it but I'm saying, "Uh..........wait a minute here, this needs to be looked at more closely".
Old 03-17-2013, 2:33 AM
Calguns Addict

there are also a lot more instances when you shoot the crackhead with a knife and the da doesn't press charges, nor does his family.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:05 PM

So far the USCCA seems to be widely hated for spam and marketing. Its not clear if they really cover you in a time of need or not. I am thinking I need to look at other options.

So far this one seems to be a slam dunk and must have. It gets you going and isnt insurance. Its simply a payout to your lawyer when you need it for defending a SD situation. They have a panel of experts to help advise your lawyer and the names are legit guys. I just signed up for this. http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/lear...rship-benefits

I addition to the ACLDN I am thinking an insurance is a good idea. I am not sure what to do for insurance but the NRA seems like a good idea. https://nrains.locktonaffinity.com/C....aspx?pID=2697 . I dont want to waste money for nothing and spam. Anyone have a good combo of coverage that they researched before buying?

I have requested my State Farm Umbrella policy limits and will be reading them. If what they told me is true then for me I think the ACLDN should be all the extra I need. Civil liability is what I am worried about and thats what an Umbrella policy protects.

Last edited by Brian1979; 03-17-2013 at 12:58 PM..
Old 03-18-2013, 6:25 PM

Really interested in this thread. I hadn't seen this one and started a new thread on CCW insurance.
Old 03-20-2013, 7:11 PM

Just to follow up:

My State Farm agent spent last 4 days calling the underwriters and claims department asking the same questions I gave to her in hopes that different people would still give her the same response. It was a little shaky at first but in the end its about as secure as anything else offered out there right now. They dont want to say they will cover a Self Defense situation for sure with out first reviewing the case when it happens. The general theme is if I am negligent in some way or it was purposeful not in a matter of self defense they wont cover me. They will cover legal fees and I am insured up to 2 million which is nice. Basically the good thing is they didnt say they WOULDNT cover self defense they just said it would need to be reviewed like anything else. They suggested I read into the other policies I mentioned to them regarding specific CCW insurance and see if they have broader coverage but in my research it doesnt seem to be so.

After market NRA style self defense insurance does the same thing. They all wont pay if you are found guilty at all. Basically this would be the other wording for negligence State Farm used. Like any insurance they wont come out and say that they will cover something no matter what. Will they cover an accident? Maybe is your best answer. Were you drunk, was it purposeful, were you at fault, etc....

In the end I went with the ACLDN and will maintain my umbrella coverage as what I feel to be adequate protection. I trust what State Farm can offer me more then something like USCCA or the like. FYI I researched them a lot and it seems to be a mass marketing scheme worse then front sight or NRA if you sign up. Not so sure on the coverages and like all the legal wording there is wording making each circumstance up for debate so I dont see any of these options better then umbrella policies. Some time ago I did request the USCCA to send me policy limits and it was iffy. I saw exclusions in there if lead bullets were used etc.

If someone wants to help prove me wrong or educate me better on the matter I would love to hear more. Right now I am just not sold that these CCW policies are going to be a slam dunk coverage either.

Last edited by Brian1979; 03-20-2013 at 7:13 PM..
Old 03-20-2013, 7:27 PM

Hope others chime in with useful info. Thanks Brian1979. I am following with interest. It seems insurance coverage for LTC is one of the more useful topics on this board..
'I own the guns I own because I acknowledge mankind's shortcomings instead of pretending like they don't exist. There are evil men in this world and there just may be a time when I need to do the unthinkable to protect me or my family,'
Joshua Boston

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics, is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." Plato
Old 03-20-2013, 8:15 PM
King- Lifetime

Brian, step away from the keyboard! Geeze Louise! We had this conversation and I thought you got it the first time.

People. Read your policy. Read any policy you may consider purchasing.

Dude on Internet can write as many generic paragraphs as he likes. IT WON'T MEAN SHEET! Read the policy!!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2013, 8:53 PM
Veteran Member

FrontSight makes participants very aware of the criminal/civil liability a shooter will likely face regardless of the circumstances of the shooting. I personally will never involve myself in a shooting unless it's to protect myself or my family...never a stranger.
Old 03-21-2013, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealnickb View Post
Brian, step away from the keyboard! Geeze Louise! We had this conversation and I thought you got it the first time.

People. Read your policy. Read any policy you may consider purchasing.

Dude on Internet can write as many generic paragraphs as he likes. IT WON'T MEAN SHEET! Read the policy!!!!!!!!
You would be the best person to help us. Please offer up some info. Nothing wrong with me digging deeper but I realize its almost impossible to get a straight answer or clear understanding of written policy limits.

So far its my best understanding my Umbrella is good to have. If you feel I should have any other type of insurance please clue me in. If I recall correctly you had your own insurance agency and understand this stuff.