Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 10-29-2018, 2:59 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Default Extra mags, or extra gun?

I've been thinking a lot lately about going with something small in an ankle holster as a backup... especially now that "pants weather" is back. However, I'm oscillating between a 2nd gun, and using the ankle space for a pair of spare mags.
My normal EDC is a G29 + 2 spare mags... all IWB. When I have my backpack, there's 2 more mags in there, but I don't have it on me all that often.
I do like the idea of something tiny on my ankle as a backup... but instead of ~10 rounds of 9mm or smaller, using that space for 2 more mags. (about the same size/weight).

What say you guys... more ammo, or other gun, and why? I keep coming up with pro/con arguments for both, and I'm kinda at a tie.
Old 10-29-2018, 3:07 PM
Calguns Addict

I'd pass on putting anything on my ankle. Tried it for a while with a BUG, to say it was uncomfortable would be an understatement. I know people who do it and say it's great, just didn't work for me. Before you try either put on an ankle weight and walk around with it on to see if it's really something you can make work.
Old 10-29-2018, 3:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
I'd pass on putting anything on my ankle. Tried it for a while with a BUG, to say it was uncomfortable would be an understatement. I know people who do it and say it's great, just didn't work for me. Before you try either put on an ankle weight and walk around with it on to see if it's really something you can make work.
^^^ I agree, nothing on the ankle for me. Way uncomfortable and feels like it will go flying with every step. Plus probably way more practical in the bell bottom days when you had more material to avoid printing.

I did carry a 2 in 38 in a clip on holster clipped to the top of my boot for a bit, but impractical to draw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 10-29-2018, 3:39 PM

If I can't get out of a situation with 20 rounds (2 mags), I've got bigger problems. Not my job to put down a bad guy, if I can great, but my goal is to get away by not firing and finding an out or putting down enough cover fire to get myself out of the situation.
Old 10-29-2018, 3:51 PM

You're already carrying 31 rounds of a very powerful cartridge; there is such a thing as over-kill. I'd hate to be an innocent bystander if you had to dump two more mags.
Old 10-29-2018, 4:29 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadside View Post
If I can't get out of a situation with 20 rounds (2 mags), I've got bigger problems. Not my job to put down a bad guy, if I can great, but my goal is to get away by not firing and finding an out or putting down enough cover fire to get myself out of the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarosa View Post
You're already carrying 31 rounds of a very powerful cartridge; there is such a thing as over-kill. I'd hate to be an innocent bystander if you had to dump two more mags.
This.

Most of us carry at least 2 mags or maybe 3 with us on a regular basis. If I can't extricate myself with 21 or 31 rounds then I've screwed up somewhere. The extra gun would likely only come in handy if your primary EDC is somehow incapacitated or breaks (jams).
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 10-29-2018, 7:13 PM

I used to carry a 5 or 6 shot revolver. Now I carry a Glock 17 with 17+1. If I cannot handle a situation, ie. multiple bad guys, I may have to incapacitate one and use his firearm, much like John Wick did in the movie. Maybe it is possible.
Old 10-29-2018, 7:40 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
This.

Most of us carry at least 2 mags or maybe 3 with us on a regular basis. If I can't extricate myself with 21 or 31 rounds then I've screwed up somewhere. The extra gun would likely only come in handy if your primary EDC is somehow incapacitated or breaks (jams).
Extra mags isn't always because you might need more than 10 rounds.
In the event of a failure, and tap-rack-no-bang, a mag change can be the only solution.
Struggle, someone gets a grip on your hand and the mag release gets hit, better to be able to grab a fresh mag than to try to find the one on the ground.

Granted, both situations are not likely to result in a good outcome and the odds of reloading and escaping the situation are slim.... But that is the reason that even if you are in Free America with a 33rd mag in your Glock, you still want at least one spare mag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 10-29-2018, 7:47 PM

No extra mags, no extra gun, and I am still 100% more armed then I was a year ago. Only time I mag up is when forced to go down to the chithole called the inland empire. Wish I had a door gunner when I go down there.
Old 10-29-2018, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Extra mags isn't always because you might need more than 10 rounds.
In the event of a failure, and tap-rack-no-bang, a mag change can be the only solution.
Struggle, someone gets a grip on your hand and the mag release gets hit, better to be able to grab a fresh mag than to try to find the one on the ground.

Granted, both situations are not likely to result in a good outcome and the odds of reloading and escaping the situation are slim.... But that is the reason that even if you are in Free America with a 33rd mag in your Glock, you still want at least one spare mag.

My instructor said the same thing about carrying an extra mag; not because of extra rounds but in case of failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2018, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedM333 View Post
My instructor said the same thing about carrying an extra mag; not because of extra rounds but in case of failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is also why you may want a BUG. Like the others posted above I tried an ankle holster and hated it. I would carry a BUG if I could find a way that works well for me. Extra mag always.
Old 10-30-2018, 1:24 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm still on that fence, but leaning towards more mags. I mean, most of the time my primary carry is a Glock... it goes bang when needed.

Unless of course, I use this as an excuse to buy one of those little S&W 357 air weights... very light, still a decent amount of punch.
Old 10-30-2018, 2:57 PM

I carry my super reliable EDC with 10+1. I occasionally carry an extra mag but I am looking for a different mag carrier since mine is rather uncomfortable i.e. it really digs into my side.
Old 10-30-2018, 3:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default BUG

I Carry either a Walther PPK .380 or SW 340 .357 in a galco ankle holster, very comfortable.
Old 10-30-2018, 3:47 PM

Extra mags or extra speedloaders when I carry. I've never considered carrying an extra firearm. Too much of a hassle for me.
Old 10-30-2018, 5:19 PM
Veteran Member

For me two extra mags are enough if 17 rounds of .45 will not do the job then I am in big trouble. Having two extra mags also means if I dump one I have a spare.
Old 11-01-2018, 1:10 AM

Wow, a real discussion involving a New York Reload:

http://gunbelts.com/blog/new-york-reload/

Safety Rule #1:
1) Treat all tweakers like they are loaded
Old 11-01-2018, 8:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

I carry an extra mag.
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Glock Gen5 19/17/34 MOS
Old 11-01-2018, 11:24 AM

What exactly do you think you are going to encounter? 1 extra mag should be sufficient for self defense purposes. Road trip to a inlaws wedding at a MS-13 strong hold? Sure, mag it up and carry a backup- a rifle!
Old 11-01-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_2111 View Post
Thanks for the input guys.

I'm still on that fence, but leaning towards more mags. I mean, most of the time my primary carry is a Glock... it goes bang when needed.

Unless of course, I use this as an excuse to buy one of those little S&W 357 air weights... very light, still a decent amount of punch.

If you feel compelled to carry a second, why not another G29? You've already got the mags on board.
Old 11-01-2018, 2:04 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

On a side note, how do you like carrying the G29? I'm going to drop the full size 1911 at renewal, I'm strongly considering the G29.
Old 11-01-2018, 6:54 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
On a side note, how do you like carrying the G29? I'm going to drop the full size 1911 at renewal, I'm strongly considering the G29.
I've got the 30 (same frame).
It carries OK under a loose fitting patterned dark shirt.
I won't wear it under a t-shirt without a jacket or other cover garment.
Overall, it basically just carries a little lighter than the 1911. The grip is a bit more squared off, but similar thickness, so it tends to print a little more, but it's workable.

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 11-01-2018, 6:58 PM

Seems like a lot of ammo you're carrying. Where do you go on a daily basis that you're considering two MORE mags?!
Old 11-01-2018, 7:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I've been thinking a lot lately about going with something small in an ankle holster as a backup... especially now that "pants weather" is back. However, I'm oscillating between a 2nd gun, and using the ankle space for a pair of spare mags.
My normal EDC is a G29 + 2 spare mags... all IWB. When I have my backpack, there's 2 more mags in there, but I don't have it on me all that often.
I do like the idea of something tiny on my ankle as a backup... but instead of ~10 rounds of 9mm or smaller, using that space for 2 more mags. (about the same size/weight).

What say you guys... more ammo, or other gun, and why? I keep coming up with pro/con arguments for both, and I'm kinda at a tie.
yea man, I always feel like I need more mags when i'm walking down the streets of Baghdad

1A-2A = -1A
Old 11-02-2018, 8:27 AM

I carry my gun typically without a spare magazine. I do have available spare mags in the car or close by. Only in rare instances do I actually carry a spare magazine. Here in CA you get typically 11 rounds to defend yourself. I do have larger capacity mags with other guns that were purchased before 2000. They do come in handy as well.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:55 AM

The chances of EVER having to use a gun are very close to those of winning big in the lottery. Almost non-existent. But should the almost impossible happen to you, it will be most likely an encounter where someone asks you for your wallet or you are inside a convenience store at the wrong time. In either of such cases, I doubt you'll need more bullets than your gun can hold, even if it's a 5-shot snubby.

The chances of you getting into a gang shootout that lasts several magazines is equal to watching an extraterrestrial space ship landing in your back yard.
Old 11-02-2018, 3:29 PM
Calguns Addict

OP's question seems more of a comfort question vs a tactical/strategic one.

I do not like anything on my ankles except socks.

I do like carrying extra ammo. It's comforting and I can get to it with either hand and I carry everywhere I legally can. I do have a comfort limit with regards to how much I hump around all day.

My 911 response times start @30mins + or - where I live. So I'm in the YOYO camp of tactical thinking on this. Do your own math and get results you can live with.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 11-02-2018, 9:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert101 View Post
I carry my gun typically without a spare magazine. I do have available spare mags in the car or close by. Only in rare instances do I actually carry a spare magazine. Here in CA you get typically 11 rounds to defend yourself. I do have larger capacity mags with other guns that were purchased before 2000. They do come in handy as well.
I usually have 1 mag, but my capacity is 7+1.

1A-2A = -1A
Old 11-02-2018, 9:03 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

More great input, thanks!

I've figured that this was a decision I didn't need to make after all. I'll go for the two extra mags on the ankle, AND the backup gun on the other.
I don't exactly run, so that's not an issue (4 bad discs in my back and arthritis)... and having something on only one ankle would feel like a flat tire.

While at my LGS today, I picked up a very sweet little 22mag derringer with a heavy trigger pull. Something to punch with if the need arises.

As to the "why" carry 51 rounds... I have reasons. For starters, there's no worse feeling than being in a bad social situation and running out of ammo. Been there, done that, never again. No, it's not needed for if some random dirtbag wants my wallet & phone, one mag is enough. But people seem to think about self-defense situations in either the civilian (random dirtbag wants your wallet) way, or the military way (4 gang bangers want to corner me behind a gas station while putting air in the tires, and my wife is with me, or being in the wrong place/wrong time and end up facing down an active shooter nut job).
Plus, I'd be running 15 rounders if not for living in CA, so that would be 3 mags of 15 +1, 46 rounds. With the 10 rounders, I gotta have more mags.

I'd really rather have them and not need them than the alternative.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:22 PM

This is so ridiculous. The average citizen is more likely to be struck by lightning than to actually get into a shooting. And more likely to be struck by lightning 3 times than need to get off 10 shots. And more likely to win the lottery after being struck by lightning 3 times than to need to do a tactical reload. And more likely to catch Ebola Zaire after winning the lottery after being struck by lightning 3 times than to need to do a tactical reload with his sights on his belt because his left arm is disabled (that criticism of sights that you can't tac-reload with is particularly ludicrous).

Backup gun LOL. You're all 1000X more likely to be killed in a car accident and you probably all drive too fast and text when you shouldn't. DOUBLE BACKUP SEATBELT??!?! LOL.

Be sure to add CRPA as your charity in Amazon Smile. $#!thead Bezos canceled it.
Old 11-03-2018, 7:40 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guninator View Post
This is so ridiculous. The average citizen is more likely to be struck by lightning than to actually get into a shooting. And more likely to be struck by lightning 3 times than need to get off 10 shots. And more likely to win the lottery after being struck by lightning 3 times than to need to do a tactical reload. And more likely to catch Ebola Zaire after winning the lottery after being struck by lightning 3 times than to need to do a tactical reload with his sights on his belt because his left arm is disabled (that criticism of sights that you can't tac-reload with is particularly ludicrous).

Backup gun LOL. You're all 1000X more likely to be killed in a car accident and you probably all drive too fast and text when you shouldn't. DOUBLE BACKUP SEATBELT??!?! LOL.
Who said anything about being average? I'm certainly not average, nor am I in the OC where everything is pumpkin spiced Starbucks.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
More great input, thanks!

I've figured that this was a decision I didn't need to make after all. I'll go for the two extra mags on the ankle, AND the backup gun on the other.
I don't exactly run, so that's not an issue (4 bad discs in my back and arthritis)... and having something on only one ankle would feel like a flat tire.

While at my LGS today, I picked up a very sweet little 22mag derringer with a heavy trigger pull. Something to punch with if the need arises.

As to the "why" carry 51 rounds... I have reasons. For starters, there's no worse feeling than being in a bad social situation and running out of ammo. Been there, done that, never again. No, it's not needed for if some random dirtbag wants my wallet & phone, one mag is enough. But people seem to think about self-defense situations in either the civilian (random dirtbag wants your wallet) way, or the military way (4 gang bangers want to corner me behind a gas station while putting air in the tires, and my wife is with me, or being in the wrong place/wrong time and end up facing down an active shooter nut job).
Plus, I'd be running 15 rounders if not for living in CA, so that would be 3 mags of 15 +1, 46 rounds. With the 10 rounders, I gotta have more mags.

I'd really rather have them and not need them than the alternative.

To each his own but unless you are in a high risk profession (like growing weed) I think it's overkill.

1A-2A = -1A
Old 11-08-2018, 8:11 PM

I'd rather carry the extra mags. Smaller, easier to conceal, and a lot more practical. 4-5 months out of the year in Vegas are "shorts & tee" weather, which already makes it tough to conceal when you want to be comfortable and not print. I'm thankful for winter coming in finally as 2 shirts and a jacket can literally conceal an Uzi on my body compared to the thin rags I wear during the summer.
Come ON. They will charge you for the KY jelly btw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munny$hot View Post
I love French rifles most "Brand new only dropped once"
Old 11-10-2018, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member

Usually a Glock 19 IWB with 2 spare hicap mags in a thin magazine pocket-pouch in the cargo pockets of my shorts, accessible with my “reloading” (non-gun) hand. In my non gun hand front pants pocket is a j-frame 642 Airweight.

I carry the j-frame in the event I were to get into a tussle and someone grabs my primary out of my waistband, from its kydex holster. If you think about it, appendix carry is really not a “secure” way to carry. If the t-shirt flaps up, the gun is exposed. Grabbing it could be easy if involved in a fight. So, I’ve most of the time carried a BUG even off duty. Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

I’ve been carrying two guns concealed now about 90% of the time for the past 27 years. It’s just natural for me and I feel naked without them both or spare spare mags.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 11-13-2018, 1:14 PM

If you need to carry a fully loaded 10mm pistol with two extra mags on a daily basis, perhaps you should consider hiring a body guard. Seems like a bit much.
Old 11-13-2018, 8:04 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk23103 View Post
If you need to carry a fully loaded 10mm pistol with two extra mags on a daily basis, perhaps you should consider hiring a body guard. Seems like a bit much.
If you need to have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen, garage, and car, perhaps you should consider hiring a personal fireman.

Quote:
Old 11-17-2018, 2:42 PM

My general setup is a Tier1 AIWB with integrated mag holder at 1 o'clock and a mag carrier at 11 o'clock. I feel the mag holder evens out my waist so I'm not lumpy on my right side.

I'm either carrying
7+1 .45 with two 8 round mags
9+1 9mm with two 9 round mags
8 round NFrame 357 with two 8 round speed strips

24 to 28 rounds isn't a crazy amount to carry especially when replacing mags is sometimes easier than trying to fix a fouled gun.
Old 11-17-2018, 3:51 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
If you need to have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen, garage, and car, perhaps you should consider hiring a personal fireman.
Old 11-17-2018, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk23103 View Post
I carry a 10mm while fishing/hunting with 1 extra 10 round mag. Thinking about adding it to my CCW because it's extremely reliable, and, for a pistol cartridge, it packs a serious punch.

Do you have issues with people carrying .357 or .44 Mag revolvers?
Old 11-17-2018, 4:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If I thought I needed a backup gun, I'd move to another neighborhood.
CRPA Member

....."He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance."

Declaration of Independence, 1776