Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 11-09-2018, 7:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Default You get one centerfire rifle. FN SCAR 20S Precision Rifle?

this gun is beautiful to me, and exactly what i want.
i don't own an AR or hunting bolt action rifle.
but the dang price!

talk me out of it by suggesting something better and cheaper.
if you could only have one.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...w-fn-scar-20s/
Old 11-09-2018, 7:46 PM

To me, that's one fugly rifle (and wow, $$$ - crazy), but beauty and value are in the eye of the beholder.

If you like it, go for it.
Old 11-09-2018, 7:53 PM

I’ll keep my first gen GAP-10. There’s a .5 MOA guarantee on the first gens.

The GAP-10 G2 is all sorts of beautiful and it’s like around 3,000 I believe
Old 11-10-2018, 9:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Keep in mind, in CA you'll have to put a grip fin on it and neuter the adjustable LOP.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 11-10-2018, 9:25 AM
Clean Cut American Kid 🇺🇸
CGN Contributor

Larry liked it too.
Old 11-10-2018, 9:54 AM
Calguns Addict

M1 Garand in either 30-06 or 308.
Old 11-10-2018, 9:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Yeah I think Tim Kennedy has a T&E gun and said he is not sending it back to FN because he is stealing it.

AR-10 with a great aftermarket barrel would be my suggestion - if you have to do a semi-auto.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:11 AM

LaRue PredatOBR 7.62 or PredatAR 7.62

Mine will shoot 5 rounds of match ammo with all shots touching at 100 yards. I have the 18" barrel PredatAR and it doesn't feel much heavier than a full size AR. Gives you the options to change out uppers (longer, shorter, 6.5 Creedmoor, etc.).
Old 11-10-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiletfighter View Post

Larry liked it too.
$4,499?
That’s a lot of money for a gun that only shoots 2” groups at 200 yards.

My S&W MP10 can do that. Sometimes better. And the MP10 is no sniper rifle.

And is it necessary to run a top of the line, tough, optic on the SCAR, due to the destructive impulse?

Last edited by Brush Guard; 11-10-2018 at 2:36 PM..
Old 11-10-2018, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
but the dang price!

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...w-fn-scar-20s/
He lost me when he said that he thought the Scar 17 is heavy :-| how can you trust a review with a ridiculous opinion like that.
Old 11-10-2018, 1:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

LOL, no to any SCAR as my only centerfire. Rather have just a plain old Colt 6920.
Old 11-10-2018, 8:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Default You get one centerfire rifle. FN SCAR 20S Precision Rifle?

As my one and only, no way, and I own both a 16 and a 17. The 20s is an awesome rifle no doubt. Worth it if it’s worth it to you. No one else can say.
Spare parts availability for scars can be temperamental. There are several suppliers in the states, but many parts you’d like instant availability of are kind of always oos and on order. ie extractors, various springs, barrel screws. I f’ed up a barrel screw on one of mine and the gun was down for about 4 months waiting on a new screw. I ordered half a dozen. Still waiting on scar extractors to get back in stock for my spare parts bin. For a one and only rifle, Colt M4A1 (6920) for me please. I can get aftermarket replacement parts at a dozen different places in my town for every single piece of the rifle while waiting on a genuine colt part in the mail if ever needed. All that said, if it’s an itch you can reach, I’d scratch it. Just know what you’re getting into re. parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2018, 9:51 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Not everyone loves the original SCAR, but it definitely seems like everyone so far is loving the new precision model.

My low-rent solution is to have a couple of PA-10's, I might double-down on the el cheapo hobby-grade solution by adding a 6.5 Creedmoor upper with gen2 bolt to one of them for $500.

Last edited by crufflers; 11-13-2018 at 9:53 AM..
Old 11-13-2018, 9:58 AM
Calguns Addict

If I could only have one rifle, my SCAR17 would be it, no question. Love it. Its very accurate even with the stock trigger. But I did get it for a lot less than the 20S, and even less than LaRue.

Don't argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. I don't respond to posts/posters that aren't worth responding to.

Last edited by California_Deplorable; 11-13-2018 at 11:52 AM..
Old 11-13-2018, 10:15 AM

Just one? 30/30 lever I'd say if I'm being totally pragmatic. If it was just favorites, I'll take a M1 Carbine over a Garand,but just by a hair.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:30 AM
Calguns Addict

If I was going to spend stupid $$ on a semi auto 308 it would be a Patriot Ordinance Factory P308 Edge.
I have 3 of their 556 uppers and are really good performers. I have shot one of their 14.5" 308 rifles and it was lights out accurate.
* parts are easy to come by and compatible with many plug n play AR aftermarket. *Magpul mags too.
*no special ops pedigree tho.

Sent using a long string and 2 used soup cans
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 11-13-2018, 10:52 AM

Did I make it in before muh Palmetto State ?
ETA: Dang almost lol..

If you have the money go for it.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:20 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish71 View Post
Did I make it in before muh Palmetto State ?
ETA: Dang almost lol..

If you have the money go for it.
Hahah. Yeah,you missed it.

I did say "hobby grade". Come on.

PSA RULES! Just kidding. I like them. Love them for the $$.

I have seen issues with them that are easy for me to fix. For others it would be a major problem. I just took my GEN1 apart that was thordo'd. Shoots great, and it reliable, accurate, but I did not care for the way the buffer tube was snugged. Castle nut was staked, but it was barely holding onto the buffer retainer at least visually. I was going to notch out the buffer tube to get another rotation and snug it around the retainer base. I ended up just using the ratcheting castle nut and receiver end plate with the QD location because I saw them on-sale. Worked perfectly to get the tube snugged right up to the retainer and no re-staking needed.

Probably don't have to check for that on a SCAR would be my guess.

Hopefully they are not hobby grade nowadays either, and FN fixed the reliability issues
Old 11-13-2018, 11:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
but the dang price!

No true precision rifle has a gas piston attached to the barrel nor are they semi auto.

A proper precision rifle should be able to shoot four 1/3 moa groups on the same piece of target paper.

Find one that does that and buy it.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute View Post
Keep in mind, in CA you'll have to put a grip fin on it and neuter the adjustable LOP.
More of a reason to just go custom bolt gun for that price.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

I have no idea how much they cost but British SAS adopted LMT .308 rifles a few years back. Seems like a healthy endorsement of a product.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:50 PM

I don't like FDE much.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

If I had to give up all my rifles except for one, I would keep my SCAR 16. It's an ugly gun and it's not as ergonomic as any of my ARs, but it's reliable and low maintenance like my Glocks.
Old 11-13-2018, 1:11 PM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Only one centerfire rifle? that is chambered in a rifle cartridge? Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle.

Only one centerfire that's chambered in a pistol cartridge? Marlin 1894FG (.41 Magnum).

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked
Old 11-13-2018, 2:12 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedle View Post
I don't like FDE much.
Which shade? My SCAR17 came in about four in it's original form.

OP, if you like it that much, go for it. But I never understood these types of questions. I know they are meant to be hypothetical and all, but guns are tools, and there is a need for the right tool for a specific job.

But since you mentioned hunting, I would say it would be my Spartan 7mm bolt action. I have a SCAR 17, and occasionally carry it for pig hunts, but would still prefer something with more distance if I had to choose one. I can take closer shots with a long range rifle, but cannot do the opposite.

Jerry
Old 11-13-2018, 2:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug_eyedmonster View Post
Which shade? My SCAR17 came in about four in it's original form.

OP, if you like it that much, go for it. But I never understood these types of questions. I know they are meant to be hypothetical and all, but guns are tools, and there is a need for the right tool for a specific job.

But since you mentioned hunting, I would say it would be my Spartan 7mm bolt action. I have a SCAR 17, and occasionally carry it for pig hunts, but would still prefer something with more distance if I had to choose one. I can take closer shots with a long range rifle, but cannot do the opposite.

Jerry
Like how far? 300yds, 500yds, 1000yds?

I dont think I would ever be comfortable trying to take big game at anything over 300yds and a 16" SCAR17 will do 300yds all day long.

But if you can have more than one rifle a lightweight bolt gun is much more suitable for hunting. The SCAR is light for a battle rifle but not for a hunting rifle. But if I could "only have one" the SCAR would be more than adequate at 300yds and I would take it over anyother rifle anyday of the week. Its a bad@$$ gun. I also dig the multiple shades of FDE. I dont understand the FDE criticism. People find the silliest things to get worked up over.

Don't argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. I don't respond to posts/posters that aren't worth responding to.

Last edited by California_Deplorable; 11-13-2018 at 2:41 PM..
Old 11-13-2018, 2:44 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcav View Post
Like how far? 300yds, 500yds, 1000yds?

I dont think I would ever be comfortable trying to take big game at anything over 300yds and a 16" SCAR17 will do 300yds all day long.

But if you can have more than one rifle a lightweight bolt gun is much more suitable for hunting. The SCAR is light for a battle rifle but not for a hunting rifle. But if I could "only have one" the SCAR would be more than adequate at 300yds.
I'm not sure about you, but I have never seen a pig more than 120 yards away. I've jumped them within 20 yards before, and there was four of them. This is when the SCAR 17 shines for me. Bucks, where I hunt, are often 250-300 yards away. They've been closer, but usually further, and I'm not comfortable taking those shots so I'm usually just admiring.

I don't doubt the SCAR can shoot more than 300 yards, but mine is not set up to do so. And yes, my bolt action in 7 mag is lighter than my SCAR, but not nearly as fast off-hand.

Jerry
Old 11-13-2018, 2:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug_eyedmonster View Post
I'm not sure about you, but I have never seen a pig more than 120 yards away. I've jumped them within 20 yards before, and there was four of them. This is when the SCAR 17 shines for me. Bucks, where I hunt, are often 250-300 yards away. They've been closer, but usually further, and I'm not comfortable taking those shots so I'm usually just admiring.

I don't doubt the SCAR can shoot more than 300 yards, but mine is not set up to do so. And yes, my bolt action in 7 mag is lighter than my SCAR, but not nearly as fast off-hand.

Jerry
I shoot my SCAR much better than a standard bolt gun. And to me whichever gun you have the most confidence and competence shooting with is the one you should use. But its just too heavy with a 9x optic and pack to lug around at 7,000' elevation. Im not getting dropped out of a Chinook, I have to hike up the mountain and down again on my own legs. And Im not about to be "that guy" hunting on public land with an evil "assault weapon". If I had my own property, then that might be a different story

Last edited by California_Deplorable; 11-13-2018 at 3:11 PM..
Old 11-13-2018, 2:59 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcav View Post
I shoot my SCAR much better than a standard bolt gun. And to me whichever gun you have the most confidence and competence shooting with is the one you should use. But its just too heavy with a 9x optic and pack to lug around at 7,000' elevation. Im not getting dropped out of a Chinook, I have to hike up the mountain and down again on my own legs. And Im not about to be "that guy" hunting on public land with an evil "assault weapon". If I had my own property, than that might be a different story
Yeah, we are in the same boat, humping a SCAR around is not an easy task. Yours is probably heavier than mine is also. hahaha. **EDIT: I only say that because I have a 2.5-10x42 on mine.

But I, personally, have more confidence in my ability to hit at greater distance with my bolt gun than the SCAR.

Jerry
Old 11-13-2018, 3:22 PM

If I had to choose just one it would be an AR 15 in .556/.223. How in the world would do you not choose most popular rifle in the most common caliber.
Old 11-13-2018, 3:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Adams View Post
If I had to choose just one it would be an AR 15 in .556/.223. How in the world would do you not choose most popular rifle in the most common caliber.
so there are lots of questions so i will answer yours and others in one reply

assuming i only have one rifle in this scenario, for me it means ideally having something that is "relatively" decent for as many situations as possible.

any kind of big game hunting (or if zoo animals become zombies) and the larger caliber is going to be more effective.

while not technically a "precision rifle" or true sniper rifle, 1moa out to 600yds (6") would be sufficient for most situations. having something super accurate beyond that would probably be a waste in my hands anyway.

the semi-auto action makes it useful in a firefight with multiple targets.
reviews tend to agree that this weapon is very good at staying on target for multiple shots (if needed) due to the low recoil (for it's relatively large caliber).

i wouldn't want a manual action to engage mutiple fast moving targets.
i wouldn't want to rely on a more compact solution if i needed to reach out beyond 300 yds.

of course, i don't have $4500 to spend on it, so it is a theoretical question unless i win the lottery or something.
Old 11-13-2018, 4:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
1moa out to 600yds (6") would be sufficient for most situations.
I challenge you to show me a piston operated semi-auto that can reliably shoot 6" groups at 600yds.

Not just occasionally, but RELIABLY.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 11-14-2018, 7:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
I challenge you to show me a piston operated semi-auto that can reliably shoot 6" groups at 600yds.

fair enough...i don't have one to claim otherwise.

https://www.tactical-life.com/firear...k-fn-scar-20s/
Old 11-14-2018, 8:13 AM

You are better off with a colt le-901
Old 11-14-2018, 9:07 AM

A couple years ago at RifleGear the guy behind the counter handed me one to check out. I though, I don’t want THAT!.
Fast forward now And I have 2.
They are my main Battle Rifle. There is nothing in modern rifles that beats it on all aspects combined. Power, light, size/fold, resale value, ect ect.
It will be the first to grab in an emergency and the last one sold.
It’s the kind of rifle the wins the war- keep America Free.
Old 11-14-2018, 9:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy93 View Post
You are better off with a colt le-901
Hell, I'm better off with my Windham 308 than the lousy 901. It was only about $1100 new from Sportsmans warehouse. It was such a great deal I was able to put a Geissele SSAE in it and have a very accurate gun even with a nonfreefloated barrel. Windham knows how to make barrels thats for sure. They partnered with POF to design the receiver set but Im not sure if they are compatible. Anybody know?

And my Aero M5 build isnt too shabby either for an $800 AR308.

Last edited by California_Deplorable; 11-14-2018 at 9:54 AM..
Old 11-15-2018, 12:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadcoyote View Post
I have no idea how much they cost but British SAS adopted LMT .308 rifles a few years back. Seems like a healthy endorsement of a product.
Yup, and they're a lot cheaper than the 20s. Plus, they have a quick change barrel. I would choose that LMT before the SCAR any day.
Old 11-15-2018, 2:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post

The SIG MCX Virtus has a good chance, given the groups they got with it in the article.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...-virtus-rifle/
Old 12-26-2018, 4:29 PM

"In use since 2011 and highly sought after, the MK20 SSR was designed to support snipers and designated marksmen." Purpose is to put 10 rounds on target at 600 yards (well exceeding the SCAR 17S) at 1MOA = 6" in a hurry. No, definitely not for hunting and no, not for long range precision shooting 800+ yards. One [rifle], all purpose......this is it. Also have a MDT ESS .308, AR10, SCAR17, AR Pistol, X95, couple of .45 and 9mm carbines, nothing comes close. Shoot one and you'll understand.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:18 PM

Turners has 3 scar 20s left!
Put my deposit down for 1 today at Pasadena.

$4927 after taxes

Comes with a surefire pro comp

Last edited by ivnlobo; 05-28-2019 at 11:34 AM..