Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 11-13-2018, 6:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Met with a group of UK pheasant hunters today

http://www.cambrianbirds.co.uk/

They had just come back from hunting. Had a nice conversation about the differences between US upland game and British upland game shooting. All private property hunts here. Once my hand heals they've invited me to go on a hunt with them here in the UK.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Peace, love, and heavy weapons. Sometimes you have to be insistent." - David Lee Roth
Old 11-13-2018, 7:17 AM
CGSSA Associate

Details.....
Old 11-13-2018, 7:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Details.....
They shot pheasants, then they drank beer.

Quote:
Dude went full CNN...
Peace, love, and heavy weapons. Sometimes you have to be insistent." - David Lee Roth
Old 11-13-2018, 8:14 AM
Veteran Member

That's about right. Have a few pints with them and they will invite you every where.
Old 11-13-2018, 8:41 AM
Veteran Member

That game bag is impressive to say least,
Old 11-13-2018, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

You’re in the UK long enough for your hand to heal? Or you go there that often? Is this your way of telling us you’ve moved to the UK? So little detail leaves so many questions.
Old 11-13-2018, 9:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGoatCrawler View Post
You’re in the UK long enough for your hand to heal? Or you go there that often? Is this your way of telling us you’ve moved to the UK? So little detail leaves so many questions.
I might as well have moved here. Got sent here for 2 weeks to assist some software development that ran a little behind schedule. Got here and found out "2 weeks" meant "until it's done" and "ran behind" meant "all our subcontractors are completely incompetent and they weren't even done with the civil work". Except for occasional trips back, I've been stuck here since last January. If I never set foot on UK soil after this I'll be happy. At least getting to hunt here will be something positive I can take with me.

Quote:
Dude went full CNN...
Old 11-14-2018, 3:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
I might as well have moved here. Got sent here for 2 weeks to assist some software development that ran a little behind schedule. Got here and found out "2 weeks" meant "until it's done" and "ran behind" meant "all our subcontractors are completely incompetent and they weren't even done with the civil work". Except for occasional trips back, I've been stuck here since last January. If I never set foot on UK soil after this I'll be happy. At least getting to hunt here will be something positive I can take with me.
damn! Hopefully they pay you well for it. Sounds like you're healing anyways, so at least on the positive side this isn't your first season where you are healed and then stuck over there sitting it out.

I have a good friend who spent the last year in Northern Ireland and some time in England. He said the same thing. He has no desire to go back. He was actually telling me how they can mail you citations from CCTV footage with no trail. I'm curious of how the hunting happens there. They can't store firearms at home, right? How about hunting as a foreigner, what qualifications are required? As I understand, the average person can't even own a .177 pellet gun.
Old 11-14-2018, 3:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGoatCrawler View Post
They can't store firearms at home, right? How about hunting as a foreigner, what qualifications are required? As I understand, the average person can't even own a .177 pellet gun.
If it's anything like Germany, it may not be worth going through all the trouble.

My MIL was born and raised in Germany during the war and the family still owns land outside of Dresden with wild pigs on it.
When I was there about 25 years ago I mentioned that I hunt they told me that I could hunt there anytime I wanted to.
I thought about how cool it would be hunt wild boar in the old world next time we were there.

When I got home I looked into it and holy cow!
The hoops they make you jump through to just hold a gun were insane and not to mention the gigantic hassle it is to get a hunting licence.
It simply was not worth all the hassle.

Old 11-15-2018, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsprig
If it's anything like Germany, it may not be worth going through all the trouble.

My MIL was born and raised in Germany during the war and the family still owns land outside of Dresden with wild pigs on it.
When I was there about 25 years ago I mentioned that I hunt they told me that I could hunt there anytime I wanted to.
I thought about how cool it would be hunt wild boar in the old world next time we were there.

When I got home I looked into it and holy cow!
The hoops they make you jump through to just hold a gun were insane and not to mention the gigantic hassle it is to get a hunting licence.
It simply was not worth all the hassle.
My family is German and I've been shooting pigs there for several decades. While it is more difficult and expensive now than it was when there was a wall, and I remember staying in "hotel boats" in Dresden when it fell to visit family we hadn't seen. It is entirely possible and a great experience, the hunting insurance is the tough part, but I would recommend hunting ethically overseas to anyone.
Old 11-15-2018, 9:06 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmuller View Post
My family is German and I've been shooting pigs there for several decades. While it is more difficult and expensive now than it was when there was a wall, and I remember staying in "hotel boats" in Dresden when it fell to visit family we hadn't seen. It is entirely possible and a great experience, the hunting insurance is the tough part, but I would recommend hunting ethically overseas to anyone.
One thing I've learned in 52yrs you only live once.....DO IT!
Old 11-16-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
They shot pheasants, then they drank beer.
Soooooo.... exactly like US hunters?
There are too many in this forum that do nothing. Don't vote, don't belong to the NRA, don't donate time and or money, etc etc so the anti-gun bills will just keep coming and coming. You are right. Us doing nothing at all won't help.
Old 11-18-2018, 9:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreek View Post
Soooooo.... exactly like US hunters?
Pretty much.

Met a guy yesterday who showed me pics of the red deer/elk hybrids they breed and release in Scotland. They are ready for harvest after about a year and those things are beasts. Just massive. The one he had pics of was so big it was gambreled all the way to the roof of his outbuilding and it was still touching the ground. He had to use the loader on a tractor to lift it. Yielded 130 KG (about 280 lbs) of meat.

Quote:
Dude went full CNN...