Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 11-13-2018, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmorgul View Post
The MagMagnet is just as uncertain now as 'mode change' in the Raddlock is. It may pass muster, or maybe not, and probably depends on where you are and how anti- the officers are feeling that day. The reason that a magnet was expected to violate the law previously by the community (DOJ never tried a case I'm aware of) is that the magnet becomes an attached tool, and therefore not a separate tool but a part of the rifle while using it. Since the BB required a tool to operate the attached tool was not meeting that guideline clearly. Currently, its alot less clear how that may violate the law.

If you're doing mag dumps dangerously with the rifle held sideways while you hop around and yell 'get some' it may not work out.
got it. thank you!
Old 11-13-2018, 10:28 AM

I got a message saying from the pictures your barrel may be longer than 14.5 inches, which makes no sense because it is 14.5 inches. Not sure what corrections they want me to make. Anybody else get this message for their rifle?
Old 11-13-2018, 10:32 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiberoptik View Post
I got a message saying from the pictures your barrel may be longer than 14.5 inches, which makes no sense because it is 14.5 inches. Not sure what corrections they want me to make. Anybody else get this message for their rifle?
A rifle with a sub 16 inch barrel is a “short barreled rifle” which would be illegal.

They probably want the stated barrel length to be measured including the length of your permanently attached muzzle device.

— Michael
Old 11-13-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elSquid View Post
A rifle with a sub 16 inch barrel is a “short barreled rifle” which would be illegal.

They probably want the stated barrel length to be measured including the length of your permanently attached muzzle device.

— Michael
Yeah I mention that it is 16 inches with the permanently attached muzzle device. I guess I'll change it in the options then.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:20 AM
Spent $299 for this text!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiberoptik View Post
Yeah I mention that it is 16 inches with the permanently attached muzzle device. I guess I'll change it in the options then.
Yes, change the barrel to 16".

DOJ is correct, your barrel is longer than 14.5". Permanently attaching something to the barrel makes it a longer barrel.

Old 11-16-2018, 8:22 AM

Just got another registration letter in the mail - received it 11 days after getting the "submission confirmation" email.

Old 11-16-2018, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Just got another registration letter in the mail - received it 11 days after getting the "submission confirmation" email.
Must be nice. I got all my emails 11/1 and haven't received anything yet. Going shooting tomorrow in El Dorado County so not to worried. I know it is supposedly legal to still use our BBAW while in the process of being registered but would prefer a letter in my rifle bag as well.
Old 11-16-2018, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreppin916 View Post
Must be nice. I got all my emails 11/1 and haven't received anything yet. Going shooting tomorrow in El Dorado County so not to worried. I know it is supposedly legal to still use our BBAW while in the process of being registered but would prefer a letter in my rifle bag as well.
Print the FAQ from the website that states it is legal to take your BBAW to a range while the application is pending. Also, print the application status page that shows the In Progress status for the application(s) with the serial number(s) for the BBAW(s) you are taking to the range. That is as close as you are going to get absent a physical letter from DoJ that your BBAWs are registered.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBrowningfan View Post
Print the FAQ from the website that states it is legal to take your BBAW to a range while the application is pending. Also, print the application status page that shows the In Progress status for the application(s) with the serial number(s) for the BBAW(s) you are taking to the range. That is as close as you are going to get absent a physical letter from DoJ that your BBAWs are registered.
It’s funny, I posted that at work, came home and my letter was in the mailbox with all firearms on one form. Made 8 photocopies, laminated 4 for each pelican case, and went up this morning. But thanks for the information. Hopefully it helps someone else out!
Old 11-18-2018, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

So the AR pistol that I sued the DOJ over, I had their stupid serial engraved on it and updated the application the second week of September, got an email a few days ago saying I needed to check the second hand grip box, did that and the following day got the email saying that it was done and the letter was inbound. Now to update the wife’s application for it
Old 11-19-2018, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rero360 View Post
So the AR pistol that I sued the DOJ over, I had their stupid serial engraved on it and updated the application the second week of September, got an email a few days ago saying I needed to check the second hand grip box, did that and the following day got the email saying that it was done and the letter was inbound. Now to update the wife’s application for it
So you won? Hot damn mark the day. Good on you sir.
Old 11-19-2018, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rero360 View Post
Refresh my memory - you sued the DOJ over an AW pistol registration? Seeing is the case is mooted now, would you mind sharing some details about how that played out? Did you actually win the lawsuit, or did DOJ just cave to avoid litigation, or did your registration go through for reasons unrelated to the lawsuit?

Old 11-19-2018, 8:48 AM

I just started a poll by the way, to get a rough feel for how many people have received their letters vs. still waiting.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1490832

Old 11-19-2018, 3:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamVIP View Post
So you won? Hot damn mark the day. Good on you sir.
Quote:
Refresh my memory - you sued the DOJ over an AW pistol registration? Seeing is the case is mooted now, would you mind sharing some details about how that played out? Did you actually win the lawsuit, or did DOJ just cave to avoid litigation, or did your registration go through for reasons unrelated to the lawsuit?
I was a part of the Holt case, we were stayed pending another case and the time ran out. My part in the lawsuit was that I had an 80% built AR pistol that I had a personal serial engraved on it prior to the DOJ serial # system going live and had registered the weapon as such via VolREG, seeing as I was deployed right after the registration period opened and before the serial # system started, I was in a position where they had to accept my serial or I would find myself a felon.

Given that our lawsuit was dropped due to the timeline, I was advised by the lawyers to get a serial from the DOJ and get it engraved when I got home, and that the DOJ was still honor it even though it was after the registration period had ended, my application had already been started. So that is what I did and it apparently worked.

I made the DOJ serial as small as legally allowed and stuffed it up under the front take down retaining spring housing on the right side of the receiver, so it's as unobtrusive as possible. Not my ideal outcome, but better than some alternatives.
Old 11-19-2018, 8:17 PM

I need your guys help so I just got an email from the doj in regards to the rifles I tried to register. It told me to update the model number and also gave me this

A characteristic you marked on your application does not match the firearm characteristics in the photos you provided. Please refer to California Code of Regulation, title 11, section 5471(t) forward pistol grip for more information

How do I update my application?
-nvm figured out how to update it

*nvm I figured it all out. I submitted my app 6/30/18 and updated the application today

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlink View Post
If you suck with irons you will suck with optics. The difference is the aimpoint will allow you to suck faster and a scope will give you a closer look at how much you suck.

Last edited by Whitefang; 11-19-2018 at 8:30 PM..
Old 11-20-2018, 1:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Here is a new one for some polymer AR receivers I am trying to volreg. I sent them out of state in a locked box that only I have the key to, before registering because of the questions surrounding polymer receivers.

Quote:
The California Department of Justice has received your electronic application; however, it is being rejected for the following reason(s):
Your transaction is being rejected because you are currently not in possession of the firearm. Pursuant to Penal Code 27560 the firearm must be in the state of California and in your possession, before attempting to record ownership.
T

Last edited by timdps; 11-20-2018 at 1:09 PM..
Old 11-20-2018, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdps View Post
Here is a new one for some polymer AR receivers I am trying to volreg. I sent them out of state before regisitering because of the questions surrounding polymer receivers.
How did CA-DoJ know that the receivers are located out-of-state? You may have to send a hostage proof-of-life pic where the lower receiver is photographed at some identifiable CA landmark (Golden Gate Bridge for example) to prove they are in state....
Old 11-20-2018, 1:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I put the info in my application so I did not have the threat of having a SWAT team visit me.

Everything in Penal Code 27560 refers to bringing firearms that you did not previously own into CA. These receivers are in secure locked storage that only I can access, so no transfer has taken place. I am still in possession of the receivers (as in they are still owned by me). The receivers were in CA "before attempting to record ownership".

T
Old 11-20-2018, 7:13 PM

Quote:
I put the info in my application so I did not have the threat of having a SWAT team visit me.

Everything in Penal Code 27560 refers to bringing firearms that you did not previously own into CA. These receivers are in secure locked storage that only I can access, so no transfer has taken place. I am still in possession of the receivers (as in they are still owned by me). The receivers were in CA "before attempting to record ownership".

T
Old 11-21-2018, 6:23 AM

Agree. This scenario just muddies the waters. Why not just disassemble the receivers after the registration pictures if you are worried.

All the statement did was make them question the validity of the registration.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
There's your problem....
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse……..except for police.
Old 11-22-2018, 6:46 AM

Got the confirmation email a week ago. Still haven't got the letter. Reg. 6/30/18.
Old 11-22-2018, 7:38 AM

Submitted in the end of May.
I received two different rounds of requested revisions in early October and completed them as asked (wanted a different product name for a VEPER and several more boxes checked that didn't really apply for my pistols).

Still in processing. Someday lol.

FYI, the last official "open registration" in 1999 took me 60 days to get a reply.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:57 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by elSquid View Post
Submitted a bunch of registration requests during the last week before the cutoff. All firearms were factory guns, and all but a couple were post-2013, meaning that they were already registered with the state as part of the DROS process.

Mid August, received the "you'll be notified by US mail" emails for all but one. That one, an "assaulty pistol", was kicked back for not checking second handgrip. I fixed and resubmitted the next day.

Received physical registration papers for all but the assaulty pistol around the beginning of Sept. ( I've been out of state for the last few weeks. )

All registration requests still show "in progress" in CFARS. No apparent movement on the pistol in the last month.
Received the "you'll be notified by US mail" email for my assaulty pistol, so it looks like I'm done. Everything I submitted ( during the last week of June ) has been processed and approved.

-- Michael
Old 11-26-2018, 12:19 PM

How long do you get Assault weapon registration letter from DOJ?
I registered mine on 6/15/18, so far 6.5 months passed, I get nothing update.
My friends who registered later than I did, already got the letter.
The status on my CFAR account always shows "in progress".
Does Anybody have the similar situation?
Thanks
Old 11-26-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifting View Post
How long do you get Assault weapon registration letter from DOJ?
I registered mine on 6/15/18, so far 6.5 months passed, I get nothing update.
My friends who registered later than I did, already got the letter.
The status on my CFAR account always shows "in progress".
Thanks
read this thread and that will give you an idea.

also; why did you create a seperate thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1492510) and then ask the same question here ? this is bad forum etiquette.
Old 11-26-2018, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifting View Post
No, you're alone. Time to panic

Old 11-26-2018, 6:48 PM

Quote:
No, you're alone. Time to panic

Thank you!
Old 11-28-2018, 3:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Here is a new one for some polymer AR receivers I am trying to volreg. I sent them out of state in a locked box that only I have the key to, before registering because of the questions surrounding polymer receivers.

Quote:
The California Department of Justice has received your electronic application; however, it is being rejected for the following reason(s):
Your transaction is being rejected because you are currently not in possession of the firearm. Pursuant to Penal Code 27560 the firearm must be in the state of California and in your possession, before attempting to record ownership.
T
And it gets more interesting... The ones rejected were polymer AR rifle receivers, but today I received registration letters for the two polymer pistol receivers that had the exact same out-of-state wording as the rifle receivers.

Evidently pistol receivers are processed by different people than rifle receivers and the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing...

T
Old 11-29-2018, 9:49 PM

Anyone else seem to have there CFARS account poof? The site doesn’t recognize my user name, pw, email address, nothing.
Old 11-30-2018, 7:33 AM

just got my registration letter today. submitted late june.
Old 11-30-2018, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashrip View Post
Anyone else seem to have there CFARS account poof? The site doesn’t recognize my user name, pw, email address, nothing.
Poof? No, this would be the first time I've ever heard of that. I've heard many stories of people having various issues logging in, mostly involving their password expiring. But I've never heard of anyone's account apparently disappearing.

I'd call DOJ BOF and see if they can help you out. (916) 227-7527

Old 11-30-2018, 8:15 AM

Quote:
And it gets more interesting... The ones rejected were polymer AR rifle receivers, but today I received registration letters for the two polymer pistol receivers that had the exact same out-of-state wording as the rifle receivers.

Evidently pistol receivers are processed by different people than rifle receivers and the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing...

T
Possession should be counted when you physically registered in the state for AW, not after paperwork was submitted and they drag their a55 to complete it.
Old 11-30-2018, 9:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.J.F. View Post
Possession should be counted when you physically registered in the state for AW, not after paperwork was submitted and they drag their a55 to complete it.
Thanks. Did check and they were in CA on the register date. Will be raising an Issue.

T
Old 12-01-2018, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member

I've had this happen when I've tried to log in late at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashrip View Post
Old 12-04-2018, 2:56 PM
Veteran Member

just got my first emails today, one "wait for US mail", the others wanted pictures again and to mark the additional feature (hand guard as a second grip)

I just sent close up pics of serials/markings as the additional pic.

let see what turn around is

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin, 1759

Brand NEW Apple MacBooks and Mini for sale
Old 12-04-2018, 4:51 PM

It almost seems some people in Kali are happy to receive the DOJ approval letter of their so called assault rifles, when IMO, it's all unconstitutional in the 1st place. What a f'ing state.
Old 12-04-2018, 5:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZB View Post
It almost seems some people in Kali are happy to receive the DOJ approval letter of their so called assault rifles, when IMO, it's all unconstitutional in the 1st place. What a f'ing state.
You will obey or the Man will arrest you and take your 2nd Amendment rights away for life.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZB View Post

Happy no, but any way you look at the law.... you had to comply in one form or another. I chose registration, others chose featureless, some probably chose non-compliance, some probably stripped it down to bare receiver while others sold what they had and plan on moving to re-buy later.....

What those of us that chose to register are happy about is getting to keep it in as minimally affected form, as close to stock as possible and be able to use them on the range.
Old 12-05-2018, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.J.F. View Post
Happy no, but any way you look at the law.... you had to comply in one form or another. I chose registration, others chose featureless, some probably chose non-compliance, some probably stripped it down to bare receiver while others sold what they had and plan on moving to re-buy later.....

What those of us that chose to register are happy about is getting to keep it in as minimally affected form, as close to stock as possible and be able to use them on the range.
I understand and not mocking the gun owners at all, I'm one of them, not happy in regards to this this bbaw reg, but have to follow the current law, but am mocking the state of Commiefornia.