Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2018, 6:54 AM
Veteran Member

Default Might move back to California questions

Hi all,

I may move back home to California after retiring in a couple of years. It will be an adjustment, but there is much to love in California and only politics to hate.

If I do move back, I need to know how to do it within the law so here are my questions:
  • Can I bring my ammunition back?
  • Can I bring my AR platform rifle back?
  • Can I bring my Benchmade auto knife?

Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
Old 11-13-2018, 7:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

No tracers & ar must be ca compliant, no mags over 10 rounds, auto knife look up pc for Ca on that.
Old 11-13-2018, 7:16 AM
Veteran Member

I would recommend that you bring all of the off roster guns you bought

and sell them in California for a huge profit...

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 11-13-2018, 7:41 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
No tracers & ar must be ca compliant, no mags over 10 rounds, auto knife look up pc for Ca on that.
So I have to make the AR featureless?

Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
Old 11-13-2018, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Gamble View Post
So I have to make the AR featureless?
Yes or maglock it.
Old 11-13-2018, 7:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockN'Roll View Post
I would recommend that you bring all of the off roster guns you bought

and sell them in California for a huge profit...
I will certainly bring several off roster guns, but there does not look to be much profit in selling them. Maybe a 60% mark up and that is not really worth it, especially with the amount you can sell per year. Too much hassle for not much money as far as I am concerned.

Old 11-13-2018, 7:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveTheRepublic View Post
Yes or maglock it.
Well, I guess I will sell it first. I can't imagine shooting it with the restrictions.

Old 11-13-2018, 7:53 AM
In Memoriam

Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in on transporting ammo i to the state.

I belive you cannot bring any ammo into the state legally unless it is gifted to you.

California is not a state you want to move to if you are a gun owner.

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/...CCAB7CE8D70F60
Old 11-13-2018, 7:59 AM

too early to tell. by the time you move back all guns might be banned under Newsom
Old 11-13-2018, 8:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Well, I guess I will sell it first. I can't imagine shooting it with the restrictions.
Not so fast, partner. We have a plethora of excellent after-market work arounds that made the AR just as user friendly as before. I love my Sparrow grips so much I wouldn't change them if I could.

Linear compensators make shooting much more quiet/enjoyable. Fixed stocks don't wobble anymore and are always set just right. Excremento just made us fine tune the platform so it's even better now. Clever humans are always a few steps ahead of stupid pols.

"Now who can argue with THAT"! ~ Howard Johnson, Blazing Saddles

Welcome back, we missed you.
Old 11-13-2018, 8:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I will certainly bring several off roster guns, but there does not look to be much profit in selling them. Maybe a 60% mark up and that is not really worth it, especially with the amount you can sell per year. Too much hassle for not much money as far as I am concerned.
Here's to all the PMs you will soon get...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
Not so fast, partner. We have a plethora of excellent after-market work arounds that made the AR just as user friendly as before. I love my Sparrow grips so much I wouldn't change them if I could.

Linear compensators make shooting much more quiet/enjoyable. Fixed stocks don't wobble anymore and are always set just right. Excremento just made us fine tune the platform so it's even better now. Clever humans are always a few steps ahead of stupid pols.
Boy, that's a lot of Kool-Aid !!!
Old 11-13-2018, 9:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

FUD from hutch.You are not a ca resident bring your ammo.
Old 11-13-2018, 9:02 AM
Banned

Gavin Newscum will probably arrest you at the border, separate you from your family, and have you deported.
Old 11-13-2018, 9:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just looked up benchmade auto knives and you can bring it in if over 2" long, but you cannot sell it here.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:45 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
I just looked up benchmade auto knives and you can bring it in if over 2" long, but you cannot sell it here.
Or carry it any place but inside your home or in the trunk of your vehicle.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

I may move back home to California after retiring in a couple of years. It will be an adjustment, but there is much to love in California and only politics to hate.

If I do move back, I need to know how to do it within the law so here are my questions:
  • Can I bring my ammunition back?
  • Can I bring my AR platform rifle back?
  • Can I bring my Benchmade auto knife?
Bend over.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Or carry it any place but inside your home or in the trunk of your vehicle.
Oh lord. What am I getting myself into!!!

Old 11-13-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
If you like high taxes, high cost of living, the threat of a devastating earthquake and the most onerous gun control laws in the nation you will love coming back to California.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptalar View Post
If you like high taxes, high cost of living, the threat of a devastating earthquake and the most onerous gun control laws in the nation you will love coming back to California.
Family and some of the most beautiful landscape around makes it difficult not to come back. Plus, we didn't sell our home when we moved just in case we wanted to return. We are going to check out Mesquite NV in January. There is a Dell Webb community that I hope my wife likes. She is keen on the prospect of a ready made friend base and activities.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Family and some of the most beautiful landscape around makes it difficult not to come back. Plus, we didn't sell our home when we moved just in case we wanted to return. We are going to check out Mesquite NV in January. There is a Dell Webb community that I hope my wife likes. She is keen on the prospect of a ready made friend base and activities.
I have a home in Sun City Summerlin in Las Vegas. A Del Webb community also. I am still living in CA due to family obligations. I have a home in Cali that I own and live in. If you have not lived in CA for a while you might be surprised on how it has changed.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

There is a heck of a lot more than Calif's political climate thats driving me away from here.
I've been to plenty of non-CA locations that beautiful landscapes.
Unlike Lot's wife I will not be looking back.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Hi all,

but there is much to love in California and only politics to hate.[/LIST]
How about
Crime
Litter
Graffiti
Homeless
Gangs
Traffic congestion

The economy is good and the weather is good depending on where you live if you want for seasons
Old 11-13-2018, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saym14 View Post
How about
Crime
Litter
Graffiti
Homeless
Gangs
Traffic congestion

The economy is good and the weather is good depending on where you live if you want for seasons
Surprisingly enough, all of those items exist in other places too. Got my fingers crossed for Mesquite, but would say it is a 20% chance at best.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
A lot more than you think.

Recently, in case you have been out of the loop:

- Gavin Newsom is the governor-elect. If you're not familiar with him, he makes Moonbeam like a moderate Republican.

- the Democrats in the CA assembly have attained a Supermajority. They can and will pass basically any tax bill at their pleasure, plus any other bills requiring a 2/3 majority. And of course Newsom will sign them. Single-payer healthcare will likely be a reality. Republicans are essentially use less in the assembly; citizens with liberty and conservative values in their blood will have no representation whatsoever.

- Any gun control bill will pass through the assembly and Newsom will sign them all. Bringing in an AR might be a moot point. The gun bills in the last 8 years have been bad enough, and they will ramp up considerably in the next four years. Expect draconian laws passed in regards to semi-autos and ammo. New variations on the Red Flag laws, etc.

- the first wave of the migrant invasion has just reached Tijuana today. Expect thousands to arrive in the coming days. For these thousands of invaders, CA is an easy choice, especially now with the new political structure recently voted in.

If you're a Democrat, you'll be in heaven. If not, be careful what you wish for. Really.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
Old 11-13-2018, 12:51 PM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code § 798

Quote:
Do it to give a middle finger to the man
I'm sure several people in the MP will appreciate paying cost for G43 when prices on those are still ~80% markup.

I'm interested in hearing about the costs of moving out of CA and back into CA; What neighborhood/area/city are you planning on relocating to, etc.

Is it because you're trying to get closer to family?

Honest questions here - it's not too often that we get former CA folks that moved out and are moving back.

-------
Old 11-13-2018, 1:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermcoupe View Post
Do it to give a middle finger to the man
I'm sure several people in the MP will appreciate paying cost for G43 when prices on those are still ~80% markup.

I'm interested in hearing about the costs of moving out of CA and back into CA; What neighborhood/area/city are you planning on relocating to, etc.

Is it because you're trying to get closer to family?

Honest questions here - it's not too often that we get former CA folks that moved out and are moving back.
Both my wife and I have parents there. We have 2 grandkids and nieces and nephews.

We will live in Williams, which is a small town of 5000 about an hour north of Sacramento on I-5. We have a nice house there, but the town is crap. Wife has family in Willits and that is the gateway to the Redwoods.

What makes it palatable for me is that Colusa County is supposed to be good for CCW now that the new Sheriff will accept applications from those who live within city limits. There is also Colusa Golf and Country Club that is very cheap to join and maintain. They have a daily men's game where 20-30 guys show up. Dice are thrown to choose teams and everyone puts in $5, winning team gets the pot. I can play 6 days a week and it is good friendly competition.

Old 11-13-2018, 1:26 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

LOL, you're moving FROM TX to CA to RETIRE! First time I've heard that. Best of luck on the plans.
Old 11-13-2018, 2:10 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Both my wife and I have parents there. We have 2 grandkids and nieces and nephews.

We will live in Williams, which is a small town of 5000 about an hour north of Sacramento on I-5. We have a nice house there, but the town is crap. Wife has family in Willits and that is the gateway to the Redwoods.

What makes it palatable for me is that Colusa County is supposed to be good for CCW now that the new Sheriff will accept applications from those who live within city limits. There is also Colusa Golf and Country Club that is very cheap to join and maintain. They have a daily men's game where 20-30 guys show up. Dice are thrown to choose teams and everyone puts in $5, winning team gets the pot. I can play 6 days a week and it is good friendly competition.
Well, if you have family, friends and activities to keep you out of the house and away from daytime TV, it's hard to fault that.

As far as CA laws to be aware of, you may as well wait until a year or so out from your potential move date and ask the question then. Too many variables right now: a Dem legislature that is going to get every anti-gun law that they want passed, possibly tempered by a SCOTUS that is more pro-gun than it ever has been. Which factor will dominate?

It's going to be very interesting[1] here in CA over the next five years...

-- Michael

[1]
Old 11-13-2018, 5:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Sorry for your loss OP

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 11-13-2018, 6:08 PM

Quote:
We will live in Williams, which is a small town of 5000 about an hour north of Sacramento on I-5. We have a nice house there, but the town is crap.
I used to eat at Roberta’s Taqueria across from Burger King, great carnitas burritos. My buddy used to live in Elk Creek for years until he and his wife got the hell out of CA 5 years ago.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
Old 11-13-2018, 6:12 PM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code § 798

Quote:

That's cool. I know family is a big reason i've heard of people returning. Even had a family friend that moved out and then returned a year later buying their old house back ... for 200k more

Gateway to the redwoods might be in fire country. Just something to be mindful of given our current trend of devastating fires up north.

-------
Old 11-15-2018, 10:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Surprisingly enough, all of those items exist in other places too. .
yes but not anywhere near the degree in KA. did you know 25% of the nations homeless are in KA ?

we are moving to prescott. in three years I have seen one graffiti and one plastic bag by the side of the road there. no traffic.
Old 11-15-2018, 1:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saym14 View Post
we are moving to prescott. in three years I have seen one graffiti and one plastic bag by the side of the road there. no traffic.
That's because there are no people there.