Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 11-12-2018, 5:26 PM

Default hk elite or expert, yet another thread

I am going to buy a HK in .45acp

I have been thinking of buying a expert because I know when I move out of CA, I can get a threaded barrel for it and get a suppressor for it. But can't find a expert right now and I have found a few elite's.

The Elite is not as good looking but its not ugly (to me at least) so I am thinking of getting one. I ASSuME one can't get a threaded barrel for the Elite once I move out of CA, is that right ? I can't find one. I did find that in Europe, there are Elite to Expert conversion kits available, I don't know their price but I go to France twice a year and will check next time.

I was going to make the expert my HD gun with a light and replace my MK25 Sig with the HK, I just want to make a .45 caliber hole instead of a 9mm. I can do the same with the Elite but that is why I was thinking ahead of getting a suppressor for HD in the house use. I will of course take it shooting often, I go about twice a month and rotate all my guns into the mix.

Any reason I should not get the Elite and wait for a Expert to show up ? I was hoping to have by Thanksgving weekend but waited too long already for that, so my next target is my bday in early December.

If I could find a HK45 I would try that also, although I have not fired one. Oh, and it has to be easy to get locally, I can't go traveling around the state to pick it up, wifey will not know about this purchase.

NRA Benefactor Member
. CRPA Member
Old 11-12-2018, 5:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post
I have been thinking of buying a expert because I know when I move out of CA, I can get a threaded barrel for it and get a suppressor for it....
1/ Why don't you wait until you move out of CA then buy whatever you want.
2/ I had HK USP Elite and that is the most accurate .45ACP pistol I have (I have couple 1911 but none of them more than $2K).
3/ Next year June 7 to July 7 we will be in France to see the Woman World Cup. Already bought tickets for all games in Paris and Reims, will buy tickets for all games that USA play.
PM me where to go to look for "toys" in France, our base will be in Paris but we will travel follow the USA teams.

I am a fan of LA Galaxy and whoever play LAFC.
Old 11-12-2018, 6:02 PM

I’d agree with newbie. Why restrict yourself and buy while you’re in California. Essentially it’s the same gun, but the accessories would be different (10 rd magazines). If you want an expert wait until you move and get it equipped with the threaded barrel.

On another note, the 45 that they offer us a very nice gun. Probably my favorite 45 to shoot. But it’s too expensive for me to own Hahahahah! I’m quite happy with my XD45 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2018, 6:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My advice is to wait for what you truly want; half the fun is the hunt and not compromising on what you want. Keeping secrets from the wife.....well that is beyond the scope of my expertise; suffice it to say......pretty much all of my pistols are black and look alike in the safe. LOL
Old 11-12-2018, 6:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I felt the same way, I liked the Expert's looks more but liked them both. Now I just have one left to buy If you like the Expert, find one.
Old 11-12-2018, 6:13 PM
Calguns Addict

sell all the guns you have/
move out of CA
buy new guns at 1/2 the price
Old 11-12-2018, 6:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I was just thinking the same thing this afternoon, went with the Expert. Last three days, USPC45, HK45C, and Expert 45

Last edited by Sure Shot 45; 11-12-2018 at 6:35 PM..
Old 11-12-2018, 6:28 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
I was going to make the expert my HD gun with a light and replace my MK25 Sig with the HK, I just want to make a .45 caliber hole instead of a 9mm. I can do the same with the Elite but that is why I was thinking ahead of getting a suppressor for HD in the house use. I will of course take it shooting often, I go about twice a month and rotate all my guns into the mix.
Well, if you are dumping the Mk25 and want an H&K made, 45ACP that can be suppressed, the only logical answer is buying an HK45C ( or CT ) once you are out of state...

I have both the Elite and the Expert. Adding a can to either would make for a really long handgun; may as well just run a carbine at that point.

-- Michael
Old 11-12-2018, 7:08 PM
Mountain Picker
CGN Contributor

Alquist Arms in Turlock has one (1) Expert in stock right now.

http://www.alquistarms.com/hk-usp-45-expert-10rd/
-P
Old 11-13-2018, 8:51 AM
Veteran Member

I just moved to Oregon like a month ago, as soon as I get my Oregon drivers license, I am buying the suppressor first its a 7-9 month wait for the tax stamp, then I am either getting the USP 45 Tactical or the HK45 Tactical, both already have suppressor height sights and the threaded barrel, otherwise you are looking at roughly another $300 to add those two items.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

I shoot them equally well but I prefer the Expert because I think it looks better.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:12 PM

I had an elite, but traded it away. The expert is a better looking gun.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Default hk elite or expert, yet another thread

Move out of state. Buy HK45 compact tactical, or HK45 tactical. Has a modern rail that accepts your tac light, and includes a threaded barrel from the factory. The expert and elite are great guns. They have a proprietary rail and you’ll either need an adapter, or you’ll need to find an old weapon light that was made for it, like the HK UTL. You’ll also need to source a threaded bbl for them, and change the sights. HK barrels are expensive, and I’m not sure HK makes one for the expert or elite, I’d have to research it. Another option is the HK MK23. It’s big, and expensive. It too uses a proprietary rail so you’d need an adapter or an old wilcox LAM unit. (big bucks). Threaded barrel standard, but opposite hand of the hk45t and 45ct so make sure you get the correct piston when you buy your can, or you’ll be buying another.

I personally think one of the nicest options for an HD handgun is the HK 45CT, along with an AAC ti-rant 45m set up in the compact configuration, with a surefire WML. You’d have a handy, fairly lightweight-ish suppressed package with a light and 11 rounds of .45 cap on board. Put the can in it’s full length configuration for range days.

Good luck!

Old 11-13-2018, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

^ Streamlight actually makes a light for H&K's proprietary rail. It's not too expensive either.

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-6.../dp/B0039CX530
Old 11-13-2018, 12:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
^ Streamlight actually makes a light for H&K's proprietary rail. It's not too expensive either.

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-6.../dp/B0039CX530
I have one on my Expert. Not much to look at, but it fits fine with no additional rail adapters and it is bright enough. My main HD gun (at least where I sleep) has a TLR-4 and the light is similar. Worth the price.

They have the full rail for the TLR-4 green laser too.

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-6...ull+rail&psc=1
Old 11-13-2018, 12:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Found a pic
Old 11-13-2018, 1:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for posting those lights. I’m only familiar with and own the old UTL’s for my USP framed HK’s. Never seen these before. Does that streamlight move for and aft on the rail during recoil it use, or does the clamping force of the screw keep it tight enough. Thanks!

Old 11-13-2018, 1:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I don’t know whether the HK Tactical has the same trigger as the HK Expert, but I have shot my Expert with a suppressor in a free state and it was very accurate. The factory sights were sufficiently tall to clear the Obsidian 45 tube.
Old 11-13-2018, 1:49 PM

I know the Elite's barrel is fitted factory, is the Expert's as well? That said, can either be bought (outside of CA of course) with a threaded barrel option? I would go with that if the option is there, otherwise, if you're looking to change out the barrel for a threaded one, I've seen many reviews say the HK45 does everything the USP does with a modern rail and other up-to-date features.

If you're also going to be buying out of state, why not go big - Mk 23 and call it a day
Old 11-13-2018, 1:52 PM

I don't think a HK45 is on the roster. I am leaning towards a Expert again, I was going to go with the Elite only because they are available right now in stores. For those that said for me to wait until I move out, that wont be for another 2-4 years. My wife and I are 61 and only this past summer started looking for property out of state, until recently we were diehard Californians with retirement plans fully in Calif. I don't want to wait that long for the HK.
Thanks for all the info so far, the plans have changed, going for the Expert now if I can find one and skipping the Elite and will get a HK45 with threaded barrel when I move out as my congratulations for leaving CA gun.

NRA Benefactor Member
. CRPA Member
Old 11-13-2018, 3:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I don't think a HK45 is on the roster. I am leaning towards a Expert again, I was going to go with the Elite only because they are available right now in stores. For those that said for me to wait until I move out, that wont be for another 2-4 years. My wife and I are 61 and only this past summer started looking for property out of state, until recently we were diehard Californians with retirement plans fully in Calif. I don't want to wait that long for the HK.
Thanks for all the info so far, the plans have changed, going for the Expert now if I can find one and skipping the Elite and will get a HK45 with threaded barrel when I move out as my congratulations for leaving CA gun.

Gotcha, sorry, with the suppressor talk and threaded barrel talk and moving talk, I assumed you were on your way out. You are correct, HK45 variants are not ca roster approved. You will enjoy the expert. It is a fantastic handgun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2018, 3:35 PM

Neither a Expert or a Elite but I have both. Instead I would get a MK23 hands down
Old 11-13-2018, 4:02 PM

I have the HK45c on my permit. It's an extremely accurate pistol in a compact package. After I shot my USP 45 Expert for the first time, I got another USP 45 Expert. The barrel length of the Expert is 132 mm, and the Elite is 153 mm. If you bought the Expert and an extra barrel for the Elite, you'd have room to cut threads on the barrel and have it stick out of the Expert for a suppressor, but the O-ring would not align properly. You'd need to cut another race at the right location for the O-ring to engage the inside of the slide in the Expert.
Old 11-13-2018, 6:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Jarvis Custom makes barrels for the HK Expert, threaded or unthreaded. O ring preinstalled.
Old 11-14-2018, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston-CLB View Post

-P
Well they DON'T have one in stock anymore

Never done this before, in 40 years of buying guns, I always bought from my local LGS and of course in the old days gun shows. They are shipping it to my LGS so this was EASY.

Guess I will just have to buy another gun when I move out of state so I can put a suppressor on it

NRA Benefactor Member
. CRPA Member
Old 11-14-2018, 2:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxdiver View Post
Thanks for posting those lights. I’m only familiar with and own the old UTL’s for my USP framed HK’s. Never seen these before. Does that streamlight move for and aft on the rail during recoil it use, or does the clamping force of the screw keep it tight enough. Thanks!

One side of the clamp is really long and occupies the entire rail length so that the light does not move fore and aft during recoil.

Old 11-14-2018, 3:03 PM
Mountain Picker
CGN Contributor

Originally Posted by Preston-CLB
Quote:

-P
Quote:
Well they DON'T have one in stock anymore

Never done this before, in 40 years of buying guns, I always bought from my local LGS and of course in the old days gun shows. They are shipping it to my LGS so this was EASY.
Happy to help, and I'm glad went nicely for you. Let us know how you like it after it's served it's jail time.
-P
Old 11-14-2018, 3:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...8136/cat100005

Rocklin, Stockton M'EFFER, Fairfield, Fresno have them in stock.
Old 11-14-2018, 3:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
One side of the clamp is really long and occupies the entire rail length so that the light does not move fore and aft during recoil.

Anh, very good. Thanks for showing these.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:04 AM

so while I am waiting for my Expert to show up...I am going to maintain this thread in the same direction it went
Looking at lights to fit the HK Expert. I have a TLR2 with Green laser on my SIG and I really like it, but its the high intensity version and its really freaking bright. I really like that idea because I believe that being so bright it might give me that .2 or .3 of a second advantage over a perp in SD situation, he will be blinded by the light for a super short time. But I am reading where too bright might also mess me up.
I see the TLR3 up above, its only 125 or 150 lumens compared to the 800 in the SIG and also no laser. I like that it fits with no adapter however.
What are peoples thoughts on lower lumen lights vs. high lumens in a dark home at night. Also the TLR3 does not have a laser and I personally hope that a laser would get me on target quicker, again looking for that few tenths of a second advantage.
Should I get a adapter for the HK and another TLR2 high intensity with green laser ? I do like the strobe idea that it has but realize in real life, likely would never use it. Thinking about the TLR3 above to avoid a adapter. Gun has not yet been shipped to my FFL so I have 2 weeks to think about this...Alquist arms says their shipper is out sick, they have the FFL and are ready to ship but no one to do the shipping so its adding to my 10 day wait in gun jail

NRA Benefactor Member
. CRPA Member

Last edited by mikeyr; 11-16-2018 at 10:07 AM..
Old 11-16-2018, 10:58 AM

Currently own both Expert and Elite. I like the Expert better, to me looks and handling are better than the Elite. As for a light just use the GG&G adapter. It does lower the light from the bore but you can use anything that attaches with a picatinny rail. Both are great firearms though.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I see the TLR3 up above, its only 125 or 150 lumens compared to the 800 in the SIG and also no laser. I like that it fits with no adapter however.
What are peoples thoughts on lower lumen lights vs. high lumens in a dark home at night. Also the TLR3 does not have a laser and I personally hope that a laser would get me on target quicker, again looking for that few tenths of a second advantage.
I have a Surefire XC1, Surefire X300U, Streamlight TLR-1 HL, TLR-7's, TLR-4... they all work. I don't find the really bright light too bright or the one that are supposedly 1/4 the brightness too dim. Maybe the X300U/TRL HL's would excel at distance outdoors, but I am not using them outdoors. I'd like to see a light that was in the middle somewhere that had a battery life that was 5-10 hours.
Old 11-16-2018, 1:54 PM

I have a TLR-4 green on my Expert. Nice solid fit.

It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men.

― Ten Bears