Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:44 PM

Default IDPA Matches

Hi Ya'll!
Trying to find my first IDPA match. I live in Ojai, so (1) Santa Barbara seems to be the closest. Almost equally long drives (having to get up at 4:00 a.m.) seems to be (2) Bakersfield, (3) San Luis Obispo, and (4) Prado.

So here is what I found:

1) Winchester Canyon Gun Club: 11/24/18
2) 5 Dogs Action Shooters: Second Saturday of Month, so 12/8/18
3) SLO Sportsmen's Association: First Saturday of Month, so 12/1/18
4) CA IDPA Shooters: Third Saturday of Month, so 12/15/18

I'm sensing that Santa Barbara is fairly small, followed by Bakersfield, SLO, and that Prado is the biggest event. Which one should I attend as a first timer?
Old 11-12-2018, 1:09 PM

Piru has some shooting sports
Old 11-12-2018, 1:25 PM
Banned

You should go to Piru with Deadwood Boys. They have everything.
Old 11-12-2018, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD338 View Post
You should go to Piru with Deadwood Boys. They have everything.
To the best of my knowledge, Piru has USPSA, but not IDPA. I want to start out slowly, and IDPA seems to be better suited for that.
Old 11-12-2018, 1:44 PM

Piru is a really nice range, good groups of folks, and not too far from Ojai.

They have much more than IDPA too, lots of good practice!
Old 11-12-2018, 3:32 PM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

Search on 1800 Club in Canyon Country or Santa Clarita.

http://www.1800info.org/News/topic=6.html
Old 11-12-2018, 3:33 PM

BTW, Bakersfield and Prado are well worth the drive.
Old 11-12-2018, 4:15 PM

try piru action pistol this sat
Old 11-12-2018, 4:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_Hesekiel View Post
Hi Ya'll!
Trying to find my first IDPA match. I live in Ojai, so (1) Santa Barbara seems to be the closest. Almost equally long drives (having to get up at 4:00 a.m.) seems to be (2) Bakersfield, (3) San Luis Obispo, and (4) Prado.

So here is what I found:

1) Winchester Canyon Gun Club: 11/24/18
2) 5 Dogs Action Shooters: Second Saturday of Month, so 12/8/18
3) SLO Sportsmen's Association: First Saturday of Month, so 12/1/18
4) CA IDPA Shooters: Third Saturday of Month, so 12/15/18

I'm sensing that Santa Barbara is fairly small, followed by Bakersfield, SLO, and that Prado is the biggest event. Which one should I attend as a first timer?
I shoot Prado and it averages 90 shooters or so. It is a friendly match and I think we do a good job helping new shooters thru but you need to have good basic weapons manipulation skills do you have?

Have you taken any formal training classes?
What gun to you intend to use?
What holster? Mag pouch? how many mags do you have?
Have you read the IDPA rules?

Another user friendly IDPA match is held at West End Gun Club on the 4th Sunday of the month... it is VERY new shooter friendly. https://www.wegc.org/wordpress/?page_id=79

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 11-13-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
I shoot Prado and it averages 90 shooters or so. It is a friendly match and I think we do a good job helping new shooters thru but you need to have good basic weapons manipulation skills do you have?

Have you taken any formal training classes?
What gun to you intend to use?
What holster? Mag pouch? how many mags do you have?
Have you read the IDPA rules?

Another user friendly IDPA match is held at West End Gun Club on the 4th Sunday of the month... it is VERY new shooter friendly. https://www.wegc.org/wordpress/?page_id=79
I'm a veteran (MP) and have been around guns since 1977. I took some formal classes way back when and take a CCW refresher twice a year. I carry daily for 4 years now.

Bought a G34, Mag-Tech holster and mag pouches, have 6 magazines for it. I studied the IDPA rules thoroughly. Thanks for the info on the West End Gun Club. That wasn't even on my radar.
Old 11-13-2018, 3:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'm a veteran (MP) and have been around guns since 1977. I took some formal classes way back when and take a CCW refresher twice a year. I carry daily for 4 years now.

Bought a G34, Mag-Tech holster and mag pouches, have 6 magazines for it. I studied the IDPA rules thoroughly. Thanks for the info on the West End Gun Club. That wasn't even on my radar.
GO to YouTube and watch a lot of IDPA stages. IDPA and USPSA require pretty advanced weapons handling skills. Many LEO's and military personnel relying on just their basic training and static range experience do not do well in the dynamic movement environment of IDPA / USPSA. I have seen the CCW qualification for Orange County... it is NOT EVEN CLOSE to a IDPA / USPSA match in terms of complexity and challenge.

It helps to get some dynamic handgun training that many "Tactical schools" offer. If you are interested in investing in your skill set..let us know and we can give you a number of school recommendations here in the So Calif. area.

PM me if you are going to go to Prado or West End and Ill arrange for myself or someone else to meet you and make sure you have a great experience.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 11-14-2018, 10:59 AM
CGSSA Director
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Here is a list of all of the IDPA Affiliated Clubs in SoCal:
  1. ISI Shootist, Acton *Although they're still active, they are currently not holding matches.
  2. Americana 1800 Adventure Club, Stevenson Ranch
  3. CA IDPA Shooters, Westminster
  4. San Diego Tactical Shooters, El Cajon
  5. SLOSA - IDPA, Atascadero
  6. West End Gun Club, Upland
  7. Oceanside Practical Pistol Club, Carlsbad
  8. 5 Dogs Action Shooters - IDPA, Bakersfield
  9. Winchester Canyon Gun Club, Santa Barbara

Each club is unique and has their own little flavor when it comes to stage design. I encourage you (over time), to work your way through all of them.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:33 AM

Thank you for your informative answers.

I spent all afternoon yesterday at the Ojai Valley gun club, dialing in my new G34. I went through close to 200 rounds of various leftover ammo, from 115g to 147g, to get a better feel for it. Although I could only shoot 50 meters as the closest distance, I think I'll feel comfortable enough with that gun. I'll be in Bakersfield on the 8th for my first match. Looking forward to it.
Old 11-26-2018, 9:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thank you for your informative answers.

I spent all afternoon yesterday at the Ojai Valley gun club, dialing in my new G34. I went through close to 200 rounds of various leftover ammo, from 115g to 147g, to get a better feel for it. Although I could only shoot 50 meters as the closest distance, I think I'll feel comfortable enough with that gun. I'll be in Bakersfield on the 8th for my first match. Looking forward to it.
Tell the SO your a new shooter, ask questions, pay attention to the stage describtion, go slow, slice the pie, don't step over the fault lines. Most of all have fun.
Chief

XL-650 to feed the: .45ACP's Les Baer Concept V, Ruger SR 1911, Ruger Nightwatchman,custom built Colt M1911, Springfield .45ACP Loaded.. 9MM SA Range Officer,Ruger P-85, Springfield Stainless 9MM loaded, SA 9MM 5.25" XDM, Springfield 9mm Stainless Range Officer, STI double stack .45ACP.
IDPA A41750 Safety Officer
NRA Certified RSO
"Stay out of the deep end of the pool; correct the problem with your credit card, not your dremel!"
Old 11-26-2018, 12:14 PM

Trying to register via Practiscore. Where I'm not sure are the following categories:

Lady
Preteen
Junior
Senior
Super Senior
Law Enforcement
Military
Foreign

I'm a 61 year-old dude. Am I a Senior?
Old 11-26-2018, 4:54 PM
Calguns Addict

You can chose more than one and the three you qualify for;

Senior (55 - 64)
Law Enforcement ( Military Police)
Military

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 11-26-2018, 7:30 PM

An off-the-wall suggestion, but check out the Action Pistol Club at Piru. All steel targets. It's not a sanctioned match, and the rules adhere more closely to USPSA, but it's very newbie-friendly. I think they specifically bill themselves as a "practice" match. You can go as fast or slow as you want, and it's a low-pressure environment to practice movement. I go almost every month and they're good people. There's a match on 12/15 if you're interested.
Old 11-26-2018, 9:36 PM

Default IDPA Matches

There is an IDPA clinic the second Sunday of the month at a private range north of Valencia. Great way to start in the sport. Details here:http://idpatrainer.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2018, 5:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty99 View Post
There is an IDPA clinic the second Sunday of the month at a private range north of Valencia. Great way to start in the sport. Details here:http://idpatrainer.com

That's pretty cool.
Old 11-27-2018, 6:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You can chose more than one and the three you qualify for;

Senior (55 - 64)
Law Enforcement ( Military Police)
Military
Since you were an MP, I assume that makes you most likely Army, maybe USMC, and therefore you need more help then most...

Reading the IDPA rules completely will put you waaaay ahead of most competitors who have not. It will also give you the answers to almost every question about the game.

https://www.idpa.com/wp-content/them..._Rule_Book.pdf

GO NAVY!!!

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 11-27-2018, 7:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty99 View Post

Nate & Jeff put on a great clinic for new and experienced shooters alike. I highly recommend them.
Old 11-27-2018, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Since you were an MP, I assume that makes you most likely Army, maybe USMC, and therefore you need more help then most...

Reading the IDPA rules completely will put you waaaay ahead of most competitors who have not. It will also give you the answers to almost every question about the game.

https://www.idpa.com/wp-content/them..._Rule_Book.pdf

GO NAVY!!!
Agreed on the rulebook. So many new shooters show up with all the wrong gear and no idea on the rules. At least give them a quick scan.

Does the Navy even train with pistols? Don't the SP just use billy clubs?
Old 11-28-2018, 3:21 PM

So I have finally registered via Practiscore. Now the system asks me to choose a squad. There are 5. I know I'll have to be there early in the morning for New Shooter Orientation (have to get up around 4:00 a.m.), but I should probably watch experienced shooters before I get my turn. Which squad do I pick?
Old 11-28-2018, 3:34 PM
CGSSA Director

Quote:
So I have finally registered via Practiscore. Now the system asks me to choose a squad. There are 5. I know I'll have to be there early in the morning for New Shooter Orientation (have to get up around 4:00 a.m.), but I should probably watch experienced shooters before I get my turn. Which squad do I pick?
I'm on Squad 4, you're welcome to shoot with me.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:30 AM

Thanks, Chad. I may take you up on this. But since I've never been to a match . . . do we all stay 'til the end anyway? I'm asking because I'll have to get up at 4:00, leave at 5:00 and, given that I'll have to drive back over 3 hours, the wife may appreciate if I spend "some" time with her on the weekend. But if we all stay 'til the end anyway, Squad 4 may be an excellent choice.

Please educate me.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:34 PM
CGSSA Director

Quote:
Thanks, Chad. I may take you up on this. But since I've never been to a match . . . do we all stay 'til the end anyway? I'm asking because I'll have to get up at 4:00, leave at 5:00 and, given that I'll have to drive back over 3 hours, the wife may appreciate if I spend "some" time with her on the weekend. But if we all stay 'til the end anyway, Squad 4 may be an excellent choice.

Please educate me.
I am not sure what you mean...

Registration is typically open at 8AM, followed by a shooters meeting and stage walkthrus at 8:30AM, and the first shot around 9AM. The match is usually wrapped by 1PM or 2PM in the afternoon.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
the wife may appreciate if I spend "some" time with her on the weekend.

Please educate me.
Thats what Sunday is for!
Old 11-29-2018, 5:32 PM

If this is like most matches all squads start at the same time on different stages. Squad 1 doesn't start 1st if that's what you were thinking. They may finish at slightly different times. And then at most ranges everyone helps take down the stage. Have fun.
Old 11-29-2018, 9:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG29736 View Post
... And then at most ranges everyone helps take down the stage. Have fun.
It depends on the match though. For profit matches where you are paying $30-$40 for the match have people that are being paid to set up and tear down. Club matches like those at Palm Springs, it is appreciated for people to help tear down.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:01 PM
Banned

I did my first match ever at 5dogs and it was IDPA you will like it. I shot with a friend but all the guys in my squad where very accomodating to someone new to competition shooting.

Tell the RO when you go up for your first stage they’ll understand. Make sure you pay attention to the 180 line and read all the rules to a stage. I shot a steel plate too close on my first IDPA match and was dq’d, luckily it was the last stage. It wasn’t exceptionally unsafe but there was a designated area to shoot it from so go slow and think. It wasn’t a gross violation of the rules and even though I was dq’d all the guys in my group where cool and kept giving me pointers.

I think you may be a little confused on the starting. The match starts at 8:30 am at 5 dogs you’ll be done by 2 pm which is awesome, they keep it moving. You’ll help take down your last stage then leave.

Good luck