Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 10-14-2018, 9:33 AM
Veteran Member

Default MOssberg 930 Forearm Retainer

I finally got my Mossberg 930 Tactical (85322). I like everything about, EXCEPT the wobble in forearm. I'd like to eliminate that wobble as much as possible, and I may have to order the OR3Gun part.

Have any of you Mossberg 930 owners bought the CFR (Competition Forearm Retainer) and can you give any feedback? Did it totally eliminate the wobble as claimed by OR3Gun?

Thanks.

Last edited by DArBad; 10-14-2018 at 9:53 AM..
Old 10-14-2018, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

There are a lot of people who documented that it works. I've been tempted multiple times to pick up one of those OR3GUN packages but haven't had any problems yet... So not looking to look for a solution to problems I don't have.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seal20 View Post
T... So not looking to look for a solution to problems I don't have.
If you don't have the wobble, then I agree there is no need to buy anything to solve a non-existent problem.

Mine isn't too bad, just an up and down give of approx. 3/8 inch when the forearm is squeezed hard enough. Some people may say " then don't squeeze it ". It would be nice though if everything is snug. I don't think that is asking too much from a brand new American made quality firearm.

Last edited by DArBad; 10-14-2018 at 11:54 AM..
Old 10-14-2018, 12:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DArBad View Post
Hey gang,

I've finally decided on........the Mossberg 930 Tactical (85322) with the 18.5 inch barrel, bead front sight, and 7+1 capacity.

It is the shotgun that is the most within budget. It will allow me to have some spending funds for upgrades later such as: picatinny rail, red-dot sight, etc. Since it is my first auto shotgun purchase, I just can't see the advantage of overspending on a higher tier brand.

I hope mine will be trouble-free. And just in case it is not, I am setting aside some funds for some OR3GUN parts. Been watching a lot of youtube videos on how to trouble shoot this and that problem.

I appreciate all your postings, feedbacks, and recommendations.
Just some observations...

It seems that you were aware of some existing issues and set some $ aside for fixes.

Whenever you don't get the chance to handle the actual firearm before buying it, you are taking a chance that there will be something that you aren't happy about.

Maybe spending more (no guarantee though) on a higher tier gun would have paid off...
Old 10-14-2018, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBGBA View Post
Just some observations...

It seems that you were aware of some existing issues and set some $ aside for fixes.

Whenever you don't get the chance to handle the actual firearm before buying it, you are taking a chance that there will be something that you aren't happy about.

Maybe spending more (no guarantee though) on a higher tier gun would have paid off...
Good point, BOBGBA. I never expected you would remember

The higher tier guns are certainly desirable. But I am pass that point. I already bought the Mossberg. I know/remember you prefer the Remingtons.

My query on this thread however is.....how good/effective are the OR3Gun CFR in eliminating those forend wobble on a stock Mossberg 930.
Old 10-16-2018, 9:12 AM

My JM Pro had a cracked forearm retainer (factory part is plastic) and I don't know when it happened. Maybe I knocked the forearm on a dump barrel or something. Anyway, I don't detect any forearm wobble with the OR3GUN Field Fit aluminum retainer as long as the magazine extension is screwed down tight.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosseyedshooter View Post
My JM Pro had a cracked forearm retainer (factory part is plastic) and I don't know when it happened. Maybe I knocked the forearm on a dump barrel or something. Anyway, I don't detect any forearm wobble with the OR3GUN Field Fit aluminum retainer as long as the magazine extension is screwed down tight.
Thank you for your feedback. I ordered the Field Fit aluminum retainer yesterday.
Old 10-20-2018, 6:44 AM
Veteran Member

Installed it today, slop was eliminated. I am satisfied with the OR3Gun's Competition Forearm Retainer. Bought the " Field Fit " polished aluminum. I highly recommend this product to those who wants to tighten up the stock Mossberg 930 forearm.
Old 10-20-2018, 7:09 AM

Do you trust this gun to be anything other than a range toy? It seems like to many fixes right out of the box.
Old 10-20-2018, 8:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy 600 View Post
Do you trust this gun to be anything other than a range toy? It seems like to many fixes right out of the box.
I trust it for HD and range toy. Slop in the forearm is " common " on " most " if not all Mossberg 930. Some don't mind it, some do - like I do. The slop does not detract from the shotgun's function as far as I can tell. Its just a preference/non-preference thing.

In my case, I like the Mossberg 930 Tactical. I am aware of the slop, I didn't buy the piece not knowing what I am getting into. There are many aspects of the piece I like. The slop in the forearm is not one of them.

Last edited by DArBad; 10-20-2018 at 8:28 AM..
Old 10-20-2018, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy 600 View Post

My Bother and I both own 930 JM Pro's. His has over 4000 rounds through it and mine over 3000 with only a few easily fixed issues. Sounds like you've never owned one and are just bagging on it.
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
Quote:
"We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt
Old 10-21-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
My Bother and I both own 930 JM Pro's. His has over 4000 rounds through it and mine over 3000 with only a few easily fixed issues. Sounds like you've never owned one and are just bagging on it.
Not bagging on the gun just concerned for the OP that the gun will work when he needs it. A wobbling stock on a mosberg is typical the other issues are a concern they should have been fixed at the factory.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

^^It's not a wobbly stock....

Glad the OR3GUN part worked well