Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 06-20-2020, 11:50 PM

Default orange county CCW application

Do they accept vehicle registration, bank account statements or tax statements as proof of living in Orange County?
and how long must the documentation of good cause be?

is it better if i do a CCW training course before i apply?
Old 06-21-2020, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanguy93 View Post
Do they accept vehicle registration, bank account statements or tax statements as proof of living in Orange County?

https://www.ocsd.org/about_ocsd/services/ccw

Read up on documents. Your good cause it's based on the content or reason for your good cause rather then length. It also should be explained yet direct. Doesn't need to be wordy, but they need to understand your position.

No, you should submit ALL your paperwork and wait for OCSD to conditionally approve you first so you can then take your class.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2020, 5:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woorick View Post
https://www.ocsd.org/about_ocsd/services/ccw

Read up on documents. Your good cause it's based on the content or reason for your good cause rather then length. It also should be explained yet direct. Doesn't need to be wordy, but they need to understand your position.

No, you should submit ALL your paperwork and wait for OCSD to conditionally approve you first so you can then take your class.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I disagree. As long as your GC statement is good you will get approved so do your training and submit it with your application. That will save time for OCSD to issue your permit. Legally, an IA can't require you to complete your training prior to being approved, however, OCSD wants to issue so as long as you meet the other minimum qualifications it should not be a problem and will ultimately save you time.

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!
Old 06-21-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
I disagree. As long as your GC statement is good you will get approved so do your training and submit it with your application. That will save time for OCSD to issue your permit. Legally, an IA can't require you to complete your training prior to being approved, however, OCSD wants to issue so as long as you meet the other minimum qualifications it should not be a problem and will ultimately save you time.
That's correct, I just say after your conditional approval, in case something causes delays. The training is only valid for I believe 60 days? Not 100% on that timeline but if for some reason ocsd delays then training will need to retaken is my understanding.
Old 06-30-2020, 3:33 PM

I believe the training is good for 120 days but it could be different, the wait is so long for a interview though, I would have done the training at a different time. Currently waiting after submitting on March 20th, first available interview date was August 5th.
Old 07-02-2020, 2:29 PM

Select pay in person, Do your Live scan, Do your course, go to the interview prepared and well dressed. You'll need utility bills, cable, internet, phone, power, etc.

Go to the interview with everything ready to go. If they approve you, you can get your permit approved on the spot. If you are missing a course or live scan it will delay things.
Old 07-04-2020, 4:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I agree with Big Jake and Scuuuud. I am on my 5th year CCW at Orange County, so I've done Initital and 2 renewals already.

To answer you:
  • Depends on your County, I would bring at least 2 utility too though. More the merrier.
  • Good cause can be short, as long as it's not "I feel threatened." "I want to keep my family safe." There needs to be a legitimate cause, such as "I am a security contractor." "I am a court employee." "I am an escrow agent and frequently travel with large amount of cash." Don't worry, they will help you find a Good Cause, they are very cool about it.
  • Definitely do training first. Find a good one, and invest the cash into good training. Make sure they do the full 16 hours, teach you how to clear jams, teach proper footwork, what to do after brandishing, and make you qualify at least 24 rounds at 3-5-7. Most courses will actually help answer your questions, and it also shows your intent and a responsible person.

DO NOT bring your firearm.

Feel free to DM me if you have any questions.
Old 07-06-2020, 1:52 PM

Does anyone know how long OC training is good for? I jumped the gun and finished on the first but didn’t get an appointment until November. Any tips? Should I upload my cert now and lend live scan until they reach out? Thanks in advance
Old 07-06-2020, 2:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btactical714 View Post
Does anyone know how long OC training is good for? I jumped the gun and finished on the first but didn’t get an appointment until November. Any tips? Should I upload my cert now and lend live scan until they reach out? Thanks in advance
From what I’ve read, it’s 6 months. Not exactly sure.

You should still upload all files and complete live-scan to have ready by your interview date.

iTrader
Old 08-07-2020, 9:14 AM

i applied and the interview date is like 4 months from now lOL
Old 08-07-2020, 7:27 PM

They are taking forever for renewals too. So many people are arming themselves after watching all the looting and rioting this summer.
Old 08-11-2020, 6:47 PM

I'm in OC not Shasta. So right off the top consult your Issuing Agency requirements. My advice, which may not apply to your location is to have, your two utility bills with your name on the address. A tax assessor bill will work as well. I had a long list of other items and they would not consider them a proof of residency. If the utility bills are in your spouses name then you will need to provide a marriage license.
Old 08-11-2020, 7:22 PM

Quote:

They will NOT accept tax bills or bank statements because these do not establish residency. They want utility bills, pretty much.

Mortgage statements, property tax bills, etc., can be connected with an OC property, where the owner could live in a different county. One of their concerns is issuing to OC residents only, not someone who lives elsewhere but has property or relatives in OC.

The GC statement should be clear and concise, and whatever you put in it needs to be established by evidence. If you claim your business requires you to deposit cash, for example, be prepared to provide documentation that you own a business, and you routinely handle cash that could make you a target for criminals.

Make it easy for them to do their job. Who wants to wade through a five-page GC statement that reads like a novella? Word on the street is that they are issuing some 500-700 permits each month, which works out to 30-ish permits per day. A lot of the work is handled by retired deputies who come in a couple days each week.

When I was in your position I took a free "pre-CCW" class which helped tremendously. It was taught by a lawyer who specializes in CA gun laws, and talking with him was very helpful regarding what the GC statement needs to contain. That Pre-CCW class is now run online. You have to register, but it is free. Upcoming dates are August 14, 2020; September 18, 2020; October 16, 2020; I'm sure additional sections will be scheduled going forward.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
i applied and the interview date is like 4 months from now lOL

December?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk