Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 07-01-2020, 3:16 PM
- DVC - Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Brass, trimmer, dies, projectiles, powder and primers ready for assembling a first batch... but before I do I want to chamber check this PPU brass to see what might need sizing and then the books to check case overall and trim-to lengths.

IMG_1596.jpg
"[The Left] will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you will not have a gun problem." - Jeff Cooper

."Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - splithoof

.Member NRA and Mojave Lever Crew | Stuck somewhere between Cowboy and Tactical | Bolts, levers, single actions and 1911s | 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 07-02-2020, 5:56 AM

Looks like a guy will have plenty of light to work by even during a brownout!
Old 07-02-2020, 7:16 AM

That's the idea!

Plus, like lever carbine/rifle designs of the 19th Century, these lamps and lanterns are some of the most beautiful industrial art of the 20th.

Burn 'em if ya got 'em!

20150104_204601.jpg

20150204_095005.jpg

20150808_130913.jpg
"[The Left] will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you will not have a gun problem." - Jeff Cooper

.Member NRA and Mojave Lever Crew | Stuck somewhere between Cowboy and Tactical | Bolts, levers, single actions and 1911s | 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 07-02-2020, 7:23 AM

Oooh I love the leftmost lantern in the last pic!
Old 07-02-2020, 7:48 AM

That's because you have good taste! sir.

It's my favorite model Coleman. It's a 228D made in late '49. Coleman in 1951 replaced the nickel-plated brass founts (tanks) with hunter-green painted steel founts. The model letter changed to 228E, the left-most lantern in the first of those three pictures.

Here's another 228D. Earlier models 228 that were nickel plated were the 228B and it's predecessors, the L227 and the Quicklite (that grubby-lookin' big hat in that third photo) I still don't have that part of Coleman's history nailed down, so excuse the poor chronology if any.

20150217_170844.jpg

Old 07-02-2020, 10:18 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
About that little car...

Old 07-02-2020, 12:12 PM

OK now lets go down the Coleman Rabbit Hole.

I have 4 Coleman Lanterns 3 two mantle and one Backpacker all Liquid fuel and 4 stoves, A Two Burner Camp Stove , and Single Burner Stove and a Backpacker Stove and a WW2 single Burner Pack Stove.

I was very good friends with the daughter of the Coleman Family and heir to the Coleman Fortune who lived in Hope Ranch in Santa Barbara. Very good looking but married. DAMN!!!

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com
Old 07-02-2020, 1:49 PM
Veteran Member

Don't even get me started on the Coleman Rabbit Hole; at last count, I had in total around forty; of those, about a dozen are really nice, and in various configurations going back to the 1930's. A bunch more are "working" examples, with the remaining few as "parts". I found good homes for a bunch of Coleman stoves of various sizes, all working, all in excellent condition. Will eventually start to give away lanterns, hoping to end up with just a few.

I think it was on a now defunct Coleman message board that I first heard of Apples; ten + years ago?

Last edited by splithoof; 07-02-2020 at 1:52 PM..
Old 07-02-2020, 2:23 PM

Correct, that is where we first crossed paths.

I went to the annual ICCC Convention last summer in Bozeman, Montana, and had a blast.

Old 07-02-2020, 2:25 PM

Quote:
I have 4 Coleman Lanterns 3 two mantle and one Backpacker all Liquid fuel and 4 stoves, A Two Burner Camp Stove , and Single Burner Stove and a Backpacker Stove and a WW2 single Burner Pack Stove.

Randy, whatever you do! DO NOT look at them for very long. You may wonder why you shouldn't have just one more piece. You're on that slipperly slope!

You know what they say about rifles; leave two alone in the safe overnight and they will multiply... same with Coleman lanterns.

Old 07-03-2020, 11:09 AM

Gotta tell you, the Indoor Lamps are just too cool. I had never seen anything like those. never had a clue they existed. Learn something new every day!

So what is everybody doing this weekend ?

I am shooting Long Range Silhouette with my Scout Rifle Tomorrow at the Ojai Valley GC, and a 3 gun shoot at Santa Barbara on Sunday.

Working on the doors for the Jeep today.

Randy

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 08-05-2020 at 8:05 AM..
Old 07-03-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
Gotta tell you, the Indoor Lamps are just too cool. I had never seen anything like those. never had a clue they existed. ...
Same here, they look pretty cool.

As far as the weekend goes...

Saturday - Shooting skeet and serving tritip at our club meeting.

Sunday and/or Monday - I've got a couple pheasant that are currently taking a sweet saltwater bath (brine) right now and since Costco brisket came down in price, there's an 18lb brisket in the fridge that needs to be trimmed and seasoned. Then it's off to the smoker...

Pheasant Brine.jpg

Brisket Packaged.jpg
Old 07-03-2020, 12:20 PM

That Jeep of yours, Randy, looks well set up. Color me envious. I'd love to do that with a Gladiator Mojave, but swap the gawdawful fake scoop hood on the Mojave for a standard hood.

Bob! You are hereby appointed Official MLC Chuckwagon Master Chef! I don't care what! b.l.m. says.

Old 07-03-2020, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
...Bob! You are hereby appointed Official MLC Chuckwagon Master Chef! I don't care what! b.l.m. says.
Well then, how bought some apple wood smoked bone-in thick cut pork chops?

Pork Chops.jpg
Old 07-04-2020, 6:53 AM

Default Marlin 1895 Custom 50 Alaskan

Ouch, not sure I'd want to give that one a try.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868689542

1895 Custom 50 Alaskan.JPG
Old 07-04-2020, 6:56 AM

Ya know till I started conversating with Apples I didn't even know collecting Coleman stuff was a thing. Its pretty darn cool. My ranching partner keeps one of those old green steel Coleman coolers in the back of his truck. Doesn't keep anything in it, so don't know why but he does.

Looking great Bob! Just got 647 lbs of our grassfed and aged beef, cut and wrapped, back from the butcher our own selves yesterday. Kinda filled the freezer.....and the other one too. I was at the Wild West booth at Cowboy Christmas at the Vegas Convention Center back in Dec. They had some interesting stuff.

Last edited by Horsewright; 07-04-2020 at 7:00 AM..
Old 07-04-2020, 8:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBGBA View Post

[Wild West Guns Marlin 1895 .50 Alaskan]

Ouch, not sure I'd want to give that one a try.

Crazy!

I'm pretty happy with the performance of the .45-70, so, I'm good.

Happy Fourth of July! fellers. Time to go build a breakfast! Fireworks noise was insane here last night.

Old 07-07-2020, 9:54 AM

Default And here's what the brisket looks like now.....

Cooked it overnight.

Brisket 7.7.20 Small.jpg
Old 07-07-2020, 12:37 PM

Default Here's the first slices from a small side....

On a salad plate

Brisket slices small 7.7.20.jpg
Old 07-07-2020, 5:18 PM

Oh, CONFOUND you! I'm a-hungry!

Yessirs! Like I said, Bob's the Head Chef on the Mojave Lever Crew chuckwagon.

Old 07-08-2020, 8:01 AM

Well, it's pick up day! but don't even know if they're there. No reply to an email sent off their webpage, and they're too busy to answer the phones...

It's a gamble!

But I'll be damned if any rifle of mine is going to sit any longer than necessary out of my direct control at an FFL...

I'll report back.

Old 07-08-2020, 8:15 AM

10-4 please do! Good luck!
Old 07-08-2020, 12:53 PM

Two things for now. I did not know this rifle would be complete with it's original box (no paperwork, though, but there are manuals on GB). Secondly, OC Outdoors gifted me a complete box of 20 .375 H&H 270-grain round-nose cartridges!

I have components ready to load and assemble, but it's nice to have some factory-loaded ammunition too, without having to stop elsewhere to purchase some.

Remember earlier when I thought this Mark X was not a Whitworth? More has been revealed.

More photos later. Too many projects cluttering the shop at the moment...

IMG_1614.jpg

Last edited by 200Apples; 07-08-2020 at 12:56 PM..
Old 07-08-2020, 1:28 PM

IMG_1615.jpg

Old 07-08-2020, 3:02 PM

Still have to clean and oil this Serbian beauty! Just took it out of the box, so bear with me.

IMG_1628.jpg

IMG_1624.jpg

IMG_1625.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_1623.jpg

Old 07-08-2020, 3:47 PM

IMG_1622.jpg

IMG_1621.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

Old 07-08-2020, 4:12 PM

Daaaaaayyyyyuuummmmmm!
Old 07-08-2020, 4:23 PM

ex·press ri·fle
/ikˌspres ˈrīfəl/

noun

a rifle that discharges a bullet at high speed, used in big-game hunting.

Old 07-08-2020, 4:28 PM

This story by Patrick Sweeney details these "market grade" Serbian Mausers made for Interarms.

https://gundigest.com/gun-reviews/ri...s-a-true-value

Old 07-08-2020, 4:36 PM

Nice looking rifle, Whitworth Express Rifles, same name as my family last name: Whitworth. Nine brothers came over from England in 1900 and spread out across the young USA. Anyway enjoy that rifle.

Psalm 1
Old 07-09-2020, 6:31 AM

Very cool Chris!! Very nice looking rifle.
Old 07-09-2020, 8:52 AM
Veteran Member

Other than the bolt being on the wrong side a great looking rifle. Enjoy.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks View Post
Yep, if it was left handed it would be perfect.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 07-09-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks View Post

Tanks, tanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post

Yep, if it was left handed it would be perfect.

Nyuk nyuk nyuk...

And that's what our calguns colleague RayPDA said. He's the one who told me about the availability of this rifle... had it been a lefty, he'd a done snagged it!

Poor feller...

That said, he's gettin' married, see. I'm not going to the weddin' but I did tell him to expect a gift from me. I am truly indebted to him for his gesture. I really scored a nice, neat! rifle.

Old 07-09-2020, 2:50 PM

Great looking gun Chris!

So I guess you'll be learning to shoot with the Express Sights before you scope it?

Also best to learn the recoil with irons as you will invariably get bit by a scope if you don't.

The eye relief needs to be at least 3-4 " for the scope. A .375 will leave a pretty good mark if you get bit! Your head has to move with the gun or else.

The Hot Tip for scopes for a .375 is a Leupold VXIII 1-5x.

WE were talking about Cast Boolits. learning to shoot with 250-300 gr cast boolits you can buy is much cheaper than Jacketed bullets, and you can work up from ones that just barely clear the muzzle to real butt kickers with 5744 powder which is not finicky at all..

That's how I learned how to shoot my .45-70. I started with 300 gr boolits and 25 gr of 5744 and ended up at 33 gr which produces 1550-1600 fps, and I can shoot 40 of them in a morning and not have lasting effects.

There are several places to get Pre-made Cast Boolits. Just get ones with Gas Checks and you won't have any problems with leading the barrel.

You'll have lots of fun with that gun. Nothing like shooting big bores. That's why I like Slug Guns so much.

Randy

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 07-09-2020 at 2:52 PM..
Old 07-10-2020, 5:27 PM

Thanks, Randy!

(Been a week of focusing on my truck, forgive my late reply)

It's going to be awhile before I scope this thing. I like it's irons, and will be concentrating, at first, on some easy-shootin' loads that I can get to know the gun with.

I'm a "scout scope" kinda guy when the gun permits, so an intermediate eye relief would be a cool way to go. Unorthodox, maybe, but there we are. I have no interest in getting whacked with what The Colonel used to call "Kaibob eye"... hahaha.

I have good stash of jacketed in three different weights, so, no cast for the near future. Something to keep in mind as my budget tightens up, though.

Old 07-11-2020, 12:21 PM

Chris when you get that HandLoader Mag with the .375 article you will see pics if his .375's all have scopes except one. The Browning Safari at the far right. It is the one I would want.

Off Tripod Sticks or a Tripod Trigger Stick you should be able to hit a man sized target at 200 yards pretty easily. I'd also bet that gun has already been sighted in at the Factory, you just need to figure out what load they used? ..

You got a nice one !!! Makes me want to kick myself in the butt for not buying the one just like it at my local Hardware store last year. But he was asking $1200 for it.

Randy

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 07-11-2020 at 12:25 PM..
Old 07-11-2020, 8:14 PM

Apples,
In the latest edition of "Handloader Magazine" there is a big article on handloading the .375 H&H.

Just ordered 30-30 dies and components. Now I need a 336! lol
Old 07-12-2020, 8:44 AM
Veteran Member

Most likely his new rifle is factory regulated for 300 grain bullets, although the .375 H&H will put many very close to POA inside of 100 yards.
The Speer 235 grain Hotcore jacketed bullets are great for practice, and in themselves are good enough for a lot of game here in the America’s. Accurate as well using his rifle’s preferred powder. That bullet also happens to be one of the least expensive, and far cleaner than anything cast.
Whatever optic he eventually goes with, QD rings will allow the rifle to be used in more field conditions. Same for a good sling.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
Most likely his new rifle is factory regulated for 300 grain bullets...
Not to be pedantic, but the term "regulated" really applies to double rifles. As the barrels are adjusted to have a similar point of impact in relation to each other (standard is 2" at 50 meters) with a particular load.

With bolt or single action rifles one just sights it in for a particular POI at a specific POA at whatever distance the shooter desires.

Below is the factory target of my .450 NE after regulation.