Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 06-07-2020, 2:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default 2x12g CO2 adapters

I own a couple of air rifles that use 88g/90g CO2 cylinders. One is a .22 Hammerli 850 AirMagnum and the other is the Walther Lever Action. These cylinders give you a lot of shotsóabout 200 in my AirMagnumóbut that's more of a curse for me, since I only shoot around 40 or 50 per session, and leaving a CO2 cylinder installed overnight wears out the O ring.

To solve this problem I purchased a Hammerli CO2 adapter a couple years ago. It's basically a removable tank that you fill by inserting two 12g CO2 cylinders ("powerlets") which get pierced when you screw the end cap on. The adapter can be removed from the rifle without degassing, so it's great for short shooting sessions.

The Hammerli 850 AirMagnum adapter is, as you'd expect, specifically for the 850 AirMagnum. Actually, you can screw it into any air rifle that accepts 88g/90g cylinders, but at 2" longer than a standard 88g/90g cylinder, it may not fit in your rifle's CO2 compartment. My Walther Lever Action can't fit an extra 2". I wouldn't be surprised if other CO2 rifles, like the Sig MCX and the AirJavelin, can't fit that either.

Umarex also makes an adapter. I hadn't been able to find one until a couple days ago when crufflers posted that he'd seen them on Amazon. I thought I'd post pictures so that those interested can see the difference in size. At the top is the Hammerli 850 adapter, in the middle is the Umarex adapter, and at the bottom is a disposable 88g tank ("AirSource" tank).

I just got the Umarex today, so I haven't had a chance to try it out, but I read that it gives a lower shot count than the Hammerli and higher velocities.

If you use 88g/90g, I'd recommend one of these adapters. Besides being removable, they'll save you money in the long run: 12g CO2 is cheaper than 88g/90g ($0.050/g versus $0.083/g). Of course, than run will be a lot longer for the Hammerli, since it cost me $100 compared to $30 for the Umarex.

One more thing, I'm not sure these are manufactured anymore, so grab one now if you can.
Old 07-01-2020, 3:29 PM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

Thanks!!
This is great info...
Old 07-04-2020, 12:11 PM

Hadn't thought about Amazon - they've been out of them on the Umarex website -Thanks