Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 10-09-2012, 9:34 PM

Finally picked mine up today. After a quick cleaning headed to the range.
160rds of minimags and ran perfect.

I had to adjust the rear site 2 clicks counter clockwise to bring the POI up.
I really like shooting this gun. I really hate that blacked out rear sight.

10rds at 10 yards.
Old 10-09-2012, 9:54 PM

I shot about 2,000 rounds from an M&P22 in 4 days at the Rogers Shooting School as did 11 other students last spring. That equates to more than 20,000 rounds total from 12 guns with no issues.

The guns were new "out of the box" and we were the first class to use them. Bill and his staff shot a hundred rounds or less through each gun to ensure that it ran and to get the sights on-target.

We cleaned the guns at about 1500 rounds. They were filthy but still functioned well.

Other than operator-induced malf's, mine never failed to function but the roll pin in the aft frame began to repeatedly "walk" out of its hole at about 1500 rounds. I also had repeated issues with too "enthusiastic" seating of mags; I would bring the gun up to fire after a reload to see a .22 round pointed vertically out of the ejection port. More careful loading and less vigorous seating of mags cured this operator error. I passed the qualification test with this gun and later with its 9mm big brother.

Ammo was the hot CCI "AR-15" load which is needed to knock over the steel plates Rogers uses. The M&P seemed to like these in terms of both function and accuracy.

I love this gun and cannot wait until the 15th to shoot mine new one!
Old 10-11-2012, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArc30 View Post
...much brighter flash when fired. So far I am very happy with my purchase and can't wait to take her to the range again this weekend with a larger variety of ammo.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
Hi everyone just wanted to update my experience with other ammo.

I just came back from a range trip with the M&P 22 and I shot Remington golden bullet, Winchester 333 bulk, Winchester super-x 1330 FPS, Winchester super-x 1650, Federal Auto Match Target bulk 325 bulk, CCI Stinger, CCI Blazer, and CCI Minimag.

All of the ammo I shot except for the Winchester performed flawlessly. I had multiple failure to fire from the Winchester regardless of which type I fired. At one point I had 3 failure to fires in a row. At first I thought it was the gun but I checked out the bullets and they all had solid hits on the rims. I guess my gun has something against the Winchester because I had absolutely zero failures with all of the other listed ammo(450 rounds total).

I'd like to hear if anyone has had success with the Winchester ammo through their M&P. Also lets hear some more ammo reports with this gun.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:56 AM

Has anyone used Froglube with their M&P 22 yet? My Mountain Eagle hated it so I had to switch back to normal lube.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

curious..how do you know if a gun "hates" froglube?
Old 10-11-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viet4lifeOC View Post
I had "seasoned" it with froglube and tested it out at the range. Numerous failure to feeds, a few every mag or so. Took it back home and recleaned it with some CLP and it functioned much better with CLP.

Also...I think frogs and Mountain Eagles are bitter rivals in the mountains

Last edited by cc12floz; 10-11-2012 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: edited...
Old 10-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc12floz View Post
I had "seasoned" it with froglube and tested it out at the range. Numerous failure to feeds, a few every mag or so. Took it back home and recleaned it with some CLP and it functioned much better with CLP.

Also...I think frogs and Mountain Eagles are bitter rivals in the mountains
thanks for the clarification.
Old 10-11-2012, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viet4lifeOC View Post
He's the gun whisperer!

Old 10-12-2012, 2:24 PM

Picked up my M&P22 from ASC last night. cleaned and Frog Lubed it and shot it this morning. I'm not a great shot so I was pretty happy with my best target of the day. (7 yards for both.) Second target was a game of 301 with a few modified rules on the last two rounds.

Shot about 130 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag, 36 grain HP without any issues or failures to feed. I used the liquid Frog Lube and not the paste.

Old 10-12-2012, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaLogic View Post
Picked up my M&P22 from ASC last night. cleaned and Frog Lubed it and shot it this morning. I'm not a great shot so I was pretty happy with my best target of the day. (7 yards for both.) Second target was a game of 301 with a few modified rules on the last two rounds.

Shot about 130 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag, 36 grain HP without any issues or failures to feed. I used the liquid Frog Lube and not the paste.
Awesome! Thanks for the info!
Old 10-14-2012, 2:39 PM
Intergalactic Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Just picked mine up today. Going to clean/lube and have a range report ready. Feels very nice, grip is larger than I expected. Not a problem, just large.

.........STGC(SW)

SAF Life Member

NRA Benefactor
Old 10-14-2012, 5:48 PM

Pick-up Day! I arrived at the range armed with 3 boxes of ammo, an oily wipe and a bore-snake. I found the M&P to be fully packed in goo resembling Vaseline(R)(C)(tm).

I gave the new gun a quick wipedown, two pulls of the boresnake and a lube with Hoppes' 9. I could not get all the goop out at the range.

Mini-mags 40gr: 100/100
Not one problem.

Federal 36gr Blue Box Bulk: 97/100
Three failures to extract. I attribute it to the goo.

Winchester M*22 40gr: 97ish-99ish/100
Three failures to fire. There were good strike marks on the rim of all three cartridges. Two fired when run through again. One refused to fire even after a third strike. I blame the ammo.

Accuracy? Better than me.
Fit & Feel? Just exactly like my M&P9! Comfortable. I think it weighs the same.
Accessories? Only one magazine (booooo)
Sights? More adjustable than the M&P9 but less visible.
Overall? I am very happy with this one, it will accompany me to the range a lot.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:10 AM

A friend and I picked up our M&P22's last week and sent a few hundred rounds downrange through each gun and 6 different magazines.

Ammo used was CCI min-mags , CCI pistol target lead bullet ammo, and Remington .22 JHP bulk pack. Had zero function problems with any of this ammo. CCI target ammo was noticeably more accurate. I will shoot for groups next trip.

Fit, finish, and ergonomics are similar to all the other M&P's 9mm and .22's I have handled. Only gripe was the "mushy" operation of the safety; it was stiff and does not have a positive "click" for on- and off-safe.

Sights could be taller but were easily adjusted and not far off to begin with. I will probably replace them with something more visible in the future.

In general, a great addition to the arsenal for training and .22 competition.
Old 10-23-2012, 1:50 PM

Thanks for the thread. Good read. I put one on layaway yesterday at Ammo Bro's in Ontario. They had one left.
Old 10-23-2012, 6:59 PM
Veteran Member

Still waiting on my Turner's pre-order... sigh.

Called them a few times these past two weeks, and we may be looking at early November. So much for "Pre-order for October arrival...".
Old 10-25-2012, 1:03 PM

For anyone needing mags for your M&P 22...$23.88!

http://gun-deals.com/displaydeal.php?dealid=13746
Old 11-03-2012, 9:39 PM

I've had problems with the Winchester as well. The first time I tried it I had two fte in the first 10-15 shots and then a fte which resulted in stuck brass in my barrel. The second time, less than ten shots and stuck brass. I had to use a cleaning rod to push it out and it was tight.

My M&P22 did not like Winchester. The second range trip, it spit out CCI Mini-Mags just fine before choking on the Winchester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArc30 View Post
Hi everyone just wanted to update my experience with other ammo.

I just came back from a range trip with the M&P 22 and I shot Remington golden bullet, Winchester 333 bulk, Winchester super-x 1330 FPS, Winchester super-x 1650, Federal Auto Match Target bulk 325 bulk, CCI Stinger, CCI Blazer, and CCI Minimag.

All of the ammo I shot except for the Winchester performed flawlessly. I had multiple failure to fire from the Winchester regardless of which type I fired. At one point I had 3 failure to fires in a row. At first I thought it was the gun but I checked out the bullets and they all had solid hits on the rims. I guess my gun has something against the Winchester because I had absolutely zero failures with all of the other listed ammo(450 rounds total).

I'd like to hear if anyone has had success with the Winchester ammo through their M&P. Also lets hear some more ammo reports with this gun.
Old 11-04-2012, 8:45 PM

Just put mine in jail today! It was the floor model. I hope it isn't too beat up.
Old 11-04-2012, 9:16 PM
Veteran Member

Been calling Turner's these past weeks since they're release is due for October.

It is November now.

I can't cancel because the fee is about $133~.

FML.
Old 11-05-2012, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout323 View Post
Been calling Turner's these past weeks since they're release is due for October.

It is November now.

I can't cancel because the fee is about $133~.

FML.
Did they issue you a serial number? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but you can cancel as long as they have not issued you a serial number for the gun.
Old 11-05-2012, 9:11 AM
Veteran Member

Hmm, no, they have not. I guess I will give them a call this week to find out, thanks!

Does anyone know if Ammo Bros have any of these in stock? If so, I'd probably cancel and put one in jail there instead.
Old 11-06-2012, 3:03 PM
Veteran Member

Are there any available in the LA area?

I called Turner's Norwalk, and still no ETA on the "October Release." They seem so damn clueless... good news is, no cancellation fee for my deposit since there was no serial # issued.

Called Ammo Bros in Cerritos, and they're all out. Again, staff was clueless on the next shipment...

For some reason they all kept getting mixed up with the M&P Shield and M&P 15-22.
Old 11-07-2012, 7:15 AM

I'm picking up mine tomorrow and should be on the range this weekend. It has been a long wait.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

Wow, congrats. Which Turner's is this? I wonder if they're all beginning to receive shipments now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradude View Post
I'm picking up mine tomorrow and should be on the range this weekend. It has been a long wait.
Old 11-07-2012, 3:36 PM
Veteran Member

Nevermind! Thanks. Speak of the devil, Turner's just called me today and said they have one for me to put in jail.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:22 AM

Anyone see or have any idea where these are in stock? Preferably in Inland empire/ riverside/ OC areas, I don't mind a drive either...thanks
Old 11-09-2012, 9:59 AM

Picked mine up yesterday. Lots of fun to shoot.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:35 AM

I put down the paperwork for one at Turner's West Covina today. Stopped by yesterday and the guy said they have a bunch in the warehouse when he looked on the computer. He said they should have some in stock by Wednesday of next week.
Old 11-09-2012, 2:55 PM

More ammo testing on the M&P.

Remington Golden Bullet 97/100
2 fail to fire.
1 fail to feed.
The "bang" seemed very inconsistent.
Boy that stuff is malodorous!

Fioochi Canned Heat 100/100
I like this stuff! (Smells good too.)

Winchester 555 93/100
2 fail to fire
3 fail to extract
2 fail to feed (Wimpy bang on prior round.)
My M&P doesn't seem to like the Winchester, that's two flavors of Winchester now.

CCI Blazers 100/100
Doesn't smell as good as the Mini-mags.

I really like the M&P. Really!
My only complaint is the takedown lever. It would be nice if it was identical in operation to the center-fire M&P rather than having to wiggle it outward.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:55 AM

Does anyone have a source for open-top mag holders for these magazines?

Fobus makes a double mag pouch but it hangs on the 'thumb button" on the isde of the mag, causing a partialled loaded mag to dump its contents in the pouch.

Blackhawk makes a mag pouch that is has a spring-loaded tab in it but the same problem. A local firm will make kydex ones but they are > $65 each.

Anyone?
Old 11-17-2012, 11:52 PM

So I just put M&P9 Truglo TFO sights on mines. The rear sights went on easy. The front sights were a nightmare, I spent over an hour fitting them and they scratched up my slide pretty badly when drifting them in.

Long story short, M&P9 rear sights fits well. Front sights not so much. (at least Truglos)
Old 11-25-2012, 11:29 PM

Default Available at Riflegear in Fountain Valley

Just picked mine up from Riflegear.com at their in-store location. I originally ran down there because they had it listed for $359 online, but when I arrived they told me it was a misprint and was actually $379. Still a great deal and the guys there were really cool and made up for the misprint in another way. Can't wait to get it out of jail.
Old 11-26-2012, 9:34 PM

I finally took mine to the range tonight.

Out of the box, it was shooting about 2" high at 7 yards. I had to lower the rear sight basically as low as it would go in order to zero it in. The sight picture looks a little funny now, because the tops of the adjustable portion of the rear sight are lower than the tops of the fixed portion, so it's like the rear sight has two different heights. I'll probably upgrade the sights soon. Also, I only had an undersized screwdriver on me, which dinged up the adjustment screw a little. Oops.

I put about 800 rounds of Federal bulk through it. I had 1 failure to fire, but that was probably due to the ammo (I tap racked the round to God knows where so I couldn't give it another try).

I had numerous failures to feed on the first round of the magazine only. This only happened when I seated the magazine somewhat aggressively, which partially knocked the top round out of the feed lips, which caused the first round to stovepipe when the slide went forward. It's a pretty annoying problem; I don't like having to be delicate when practicing reloads.

The magwell has a pretty healthy lead in to it, so it's pretty easy to load a new mag quickly.

It's slightly lighter than the full sized M&P but still feels substantial. It feels exactly the same grip-wise. The trigger is a reasonable approximation of my M&P9 Pro's trigger.

The recoil spring is ridiculously light, so light that I need to keep the rails well-oiled or it won't go into battery on its own. Unpolished, hard anodized aluminum isn't the slickest stuff in the world.

All in all, it's incredibly fun to shoot. I overpaid a bit for it, but I'm glad I got it. I think it's my new favorite range toy.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageDUG View Post
I changed the rear sights out on mine for a set off it's bigger brother. I like it a lot better now. I didn't know they were hard to get. Walked into my local shop, asked for one and there it was. I've had it for 5 or 6 weeks now. The magazines are tricky to find, but I've rounded up 4 more so far.
Hey VintateDUG, how do you like the M&P9 sights on the gun? I've only been to the range once with mine and I could barely see the rear sight. I've read some notes to be careful when replacing the rear sight because steel could scratch up the aluminum slide. My gun was shooting high and left at 7 yards so elevation would be a concern if I swapped out for something without elevation adjustment.

I'm considering just pulling off the rear sight blade and just painting it white to get some temporary relief. http://youtu.be/KpXaUVLXOPw
Old 12-13-2012, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotdancetime View Post
Hey VintateDUG, how do you like the M&P9 sights on the gun? I've only been to the range once with mine and I could barely see the rear sight. I've read some notes to be careful when replacing the rear sight because steel could scratch up the aluminum slide. My gun was shooting high and left at 7 yards so elevation would be a concern if I swapped out for something without elevation adjustment.

I'm considering just pulling off the rear sight blade and just painting it white to get some temporary relief. http://youtu.be/KpXaUVLXOPw

I love the new sights on my 22! Replacing was quick and easy. Cost was about 16 dollars IIRC. I thought I posted pics somewhere. If not I can post some up.
Old 12-22-2012, 7:32 AM
YOU are next!!

Dawson has front and rear sights available for the M&P22. Heres a short video of the front sight installation:
Video
Old 12-22-2012, 9:00 AM
Calguns Addict

I picked mine up a few days ago but haven't shot it yet. It feels "just right" to me for size and weight. I was a bit surprised that it comes with only one mag. I would gladly trade the plastic case for a 2nd mag.
Old 12-23-2012, 5:35 PM

Just put one in jail from Ammo Bros. #122002 model

Went in with my Xmas bonus for a 22/45... guess that'll be a later purchase.

Been meaning to pick up a dedicated 22lr pistol to practice trigger control (my Glock 23 gets pricey). Picked up a spare mag on S&W website also.

Want to do something about that lettering on the slide and intend to outline the rear sight with some white vinyl.
Old 12-23-2012, 6:48 PM
YOU are next!!

I ordered the Dawson Precision sights for both front and rear. Will keep you guys posted when i receive them.

Added: Stole these pics from the internet, but this is what the DP sights should look like when installed:

Old 12-25-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc12floz View Post
Has anyone used Froglube with their M&P 22 yet? My Mountain Eagle hated it so I had to switch back to normal lube.
Just got mine last week from yzernie (Board Sponsor Vendor), love it.

Got home and cleaned and did the Froglube treatment (heat up the parts, apply FL to it, let it sit and wipe off). I switched over from using Breakfree CLP. I find all my firearms are now easier to clean and my Ammo finicky Competition Ruger 22/45, now runs more smoother and reliable; even with Bulk Ammo.

Results:
CCI-Mini Mags: 100%
Federal 745 Champion Bulk Ammo: 99%

Federal American Eagle: 75% Had lots of FTE, FTF and few duds...tons of smoke...pretty dirty ammo.

after about a 1,000 rounds, getting some wear on the guide rod, finish wearing off; I expect this to be normal or non-issue.

only Con: Rear Sight ...I will also be switching to Dawson Precision Sights in the future.