Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Official Events
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Official Events Booths, Gun Show Events and other Official occasions. (Limited Posting)

View Poll Results: Have you signed or donated or sent this to a friend?
HELL YES I HAVE! 654 97.18%
There is "NO" Option if you are California Shooter? Just get it DONE! 19 2.82%
Voters: 673. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-2012, 3:22 PM
Arizona Ex-Pat
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourLoko View Post
the PDF link was down, anyone have a copy?

I'd rather bomb their fax machines than email
PDF attached
Attached Files
File Type: pdf flyer cgn.pdf (3.85 MB, 45 views)

Ps 25:4-5 NLT Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you.
Old 07-01-2012, 5:20 PM

Signed and emailed to a ton of people.
“The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!”
Old 07-01-2012, 6:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1026 View Post
Signed and emailed to a ton of people.
Me too.

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 07-01-2012, 7:19 PM

Are these online petitions legitimate? I always thought only the paper petitions were legit?
Old 07-01-2012, 8:23 PM

wouldnt california, if the bill is passed be required to allow legally purchased lowers and ARS to be registered as assult weapons?

i dont think california attorney general wuld want to let that happen. id think if they didnt, they would be open for about 10,000,000 lawsuits.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:27 AM

while were at it how come we dont get a petition to go repeal the assault weapon ban
Old 07-02-2012, 12:27 AM

put it up on a ballot
Old 07-02-2012, 4:42 AM
In Memoriam

shared, signed.

fouber =^..^=
Old 07-02-2012, 6:27 AM

Yep, doing my part, I have written a letter to both Sen. Yee, and my own representative imploring him to vote against this bill. I have posted on my Facebook account, and as soon as I get into the office, I'll email my letter to the entire committee, and will get back on FB and reiterate the importance of opposing this bill.

That being said, I have no clue as to how this works, if this were to actually pass, can the state really make owning an AR type rifle illegal, well, one that has features covered in the bill? Would they not be required then to purchase them back from owners. I just don't see how the state can say, ok, I know you have anywhere from a few thousand to tens of thousands of dollars invested in your rifles, but now you have to throw them away with no compensation? If so, how can that be even remotely legal?

Also, and I hate to ask these questions, but the law seems VERY vague, will they bill authors be required to clarify this bill if it does in fact pass? Sorry if these questions have been answered in the mega thread, just can't seem to get through the whole thing at one sitting.

Ill try and get some flyers out today, my schedule is pretty loose this week.
Old 07-02-2012, 9:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I just checked the SB249, All these AR/AK/"evil rifle" shooters and only 6,600 signed?? Lets get the ball rolling!! Its tomorrow! I did my part...hope more will do it today!
Old 07-02-2012, 9:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGDOG805 View Post
If it passes when will it become effective?
Heaven forbid; I'd like to know this as well.

Before mods, and other goodies...
Old 07-02-2012, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mif_slim View Post
I just checked the SB249, All these AR/AK/"evil rifle" shooters and only 6,600 signed?? Lets get the ball rolling!! Its tomorrow! I did my part...hope more will do it today!
I agree. I talked to so many last week and all I heard is "we have time" guess what? It's tomorrow. I think I got 20 people to sign. Not alot, but, its something. I also blasted it on my FB fan page, and sent email's & text to friends and family.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:32 AM

If it passes, I believe it becomes effective July 1, 2013.

I have been writing all day so far, I just sent out this letter to the Assemblyman on the NRA list-

Quote:
I am very concerned about this current bill and the effects that it will have not only on firearm owners, but firearm and firearm accessory manufacturers, dealers, as well as many other facets of California commerce and its current fiscal state. Here are the issues as I see them.

2nd Amendment Rights-
To start, the obvious, our 2nd Amendment, the ownership of guns, "the right of the people to keep and bear arms" is guaranteed in the constitution, so I feel, as I firmly believe that everyone should, that any new law or laws created to amend, or limit this Constitutional right should therefore be deemed unconstitutional. That is the obvious part, and in a perfect world, nothing more really should need to be said. However, we live in an imperfect world, run by imperfect people, all with their own agenda's, I get this, its the way of the world and will most likely never change, however, I, as well as many others take strong offense when laws are authored that will diminish these rights. Its a slippery slope when government, both at a Federal, and State level slowly chip away at our Constitutional Rights, it sets a precedence that is difficult to redact. If it starts with our 2nd Amendment, when will it end, with our 1st Amendment rights, will we eventually do away with the 13th Amendment, when will it end. I understand this is obviously an extreme example, but logically, there is the possibility if we continue down this path.

Crime Prevention-
Another facet of bills such as this are generally aimed, or at least the rational is given, thats its about reducing crime. To me, this is the most frustrating aspect of such bills. Criminals, by their very definition, do not care about laws. All the laws and bills in the world will not keep a criminal from breaking said laws, its what they do. If a criminal is going to, for example, rob a bank, they are not going to check and make sure that their rifle is "California compliant", that there is no "bullet button", that they only use 10 round NON-removable magazines and so on before they commit a heinous crime. Criminals will continue to break the law, with or without more firearm legislation. I especially like to use the example of - If guns rob banks, then pencils misspell words, forks and spoons make people fat, and so on. PEOPLE commit crimes, PEOPLE need to be held accountable for their actions, not inanimate objects.

Fiscal responsibility-
This is very far reaching, but to start, look at what effects this will have on manufactures and retailers in the state such as myself. By banning "bullet buttons" or other similar "accessories", along with the loss in sales of all firearms that this proposed bill will effect, will in fact hurt our already fragile economy. This will force many firearm shops to lay off employees, manufactures will have to do the same. This is a large market, probably larger than you might think, and IT WILL have a negative financial effect on this particular industry. By making illegal such parts and accessories, not only is there the immediate negative effect on the aforementioned manufactures, dealers and such, but there will be of course the loss of tax revenue generated by the slowing, or outright closure of some manufacturers / dealers.

Indirectly, look at the cost to propose/defend such bills. Groups such as the CalGun Organization WILL fight this bill tooth and nail, they will loose the full might of their legal resources to keep this bill from being passed. This WILL cost the state and its taxpayers to attempt to uphold said bill. I personally, would rather see my tax dollars spent on improving our school system, hiring more firefighters, more police officers, and authoring bills that actually prevent/reduce criminals from committing crime, and not turning law abiding citizens into criminals that currently own LEGAL firearms and accessories.

I am not some gun nut job, I am a hobbyist and a businessman that enjoys shooting sports that do require the use of semi automatic rifles. This bill will hurt me financially, as will it the state in lost tax revenue and is wasteful at best in terms of time and money, and unconstitutional at worst, and I urge you to reconsider continuing forward with and supporting such legislation.
And now I am back onto Facebook and the other forums I am a member of to rattle their cages again.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:37 AM

At least one of the Assemblyman is on our side, I know this is a canned response, but still

Quote:
Thank you for contacting my office to express your opposition to SB 249 which would, “commencing July 1, 2013 prohibit any person from importing, making, selling, loaning, transferring, or possessing any conversion kit designed solely and exclusively to convert certain firearms with a fixed magazine into firearms with the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and other features.”

As a State Assemblyman, please be assured that I strongly share in your opposition to this legislation and I voted against it when it reached the Assembly Rules Committee on June 18th, 2012. Unfortunately, it did pass and will now be referred to the Public Safety Committee, of which I am also a member. I will vote against SB 249 here too and will urge my colleagues to do the same.

I am a firm supporter of the Second Amendment which gives us the freedom and right to bear arms. It is outrageous that this kind of bill is even being considered. We need to focus our efforts on strengthening the economy and creating jobs, not punishing and regulating law abiding citizens.

I will not give up the fight to protect our basic rights. As always, I will continue to oppose and vote against any restrictive gun legislation.

I also encourage you to contact your local State Assembly representative to express your viewpoint on this issue.

Thank you for giving me this opportunity to serve you; it is my privilege.

Sincerely,

Assemblyman Curt Hagman
District 60
Old 07-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Barely here....
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSoul View Post
At least one of the Assemblyman is on our side, I know this is a canned response, but still
Got the same reply this am. Haven't heard back from the others.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Arizona Ex-Pat

Assemblymember Tom Ammiano (916) 319-2013
Assemblymember Curt Hagman (916) 319-2060
Assemblymember Steve Knight (916) 319-2036
Assemblymember Gilbert Cedillo (916) 319-2045
Assemblymember Holly J. Mitchell (916) 319-2047
Assemblymember Nancy Skinner (916) 319-2014

Ps 25:4-5 NLT Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you.

Last edited by pennys dad; 07-02-2012 at 12:37 PM..
Old 07-02-2012, 2:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

In my experience in opposing other bills over the past two decades, it seems that the "Public Safety Committee" nearly always pass anti-2nd Amendment legislation based on the very nature of their job in supposedly "keeping us safe". It's a ruse, and I don't mean Roos, even though that was a ruse too.
Old 07-02-2012, 2:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Just checked in with a colleague that faxed 6 letters from our office to each of the "public safety committee."
Old 07-02-2012, 3:23 PM
Veteran Member

Listen to Pub. Safety Committee hearing on #SB249 at 9 a.m. tomorrow (Tues 7/3) at mms://media.assembly.ca.gov/​ASM-126 @StopSB249 #2A
Old 07-02-2012, 4:36 PM

I think some people have asked but I have not read a response. Can someone explain if this law passes, how previous owners will be classified criminals? Didn't the owners of the colt AR15 get to keep their rifles after the first part of the assault weapon ban? So are we going to get a grandfather clause? If so then what will be the time period to register our firearms?

Last edited by mrPhelps; 07-02-2012 at 5:02 PM..
Old 07-02-2012, 5:18 PM
CGSSA Director

DONE, DONE, and DONE!

I wrote each member of the public safety committee, shared this on Facebook twice over the past two weeks, and dropped off 20 fliers to LAX Shooting Range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrPhelps View Post
I think some people have asked but I have not read a response. Can someone explain if this law passes, how previous owners will be classified criminals? Didn't the owners of the colt AR15 get to keep their rifles after the first part of the assault weapon ban? So are we going to get a grandfather clause? If so then what will be the time period to register our firearms?
The easiest way to sum it up is that if you own any "conversion kits" which include all evil features (flash suppressors, collapsible stocks, pistol grips, ...), bullet buttons, mag magnets, and the like that could possibly be used to manufacture an assault weapon you will be in violation of the law. The bill offers no way to legally register existing "so featured" rifles.

Last edited by RoundEye; 07-02-2012 at 5:54 PM..
Old 07-02-2012, 5:52 PM

well, the way i see it, if thats the case, about a millon lawsuits will end up hitting the state overnight. id almost bet that that will be an issue , and that they will be REQUIRED to offer registration on rifles/lowers that are already in the possession of citizens.
i dont know this for a fact, but id say its a good hunch
Old 07-02-2012, 6:16 PM
Arizona Ex-Pat

Listen to Pub. Safety Committee hearing on #SB249 at 9 a.m. tomorrow (Tues 7/3) at mms://media.assembly.ca.gov/​ASM-126

Old 07-02-2012, 9:02 PM

I don't own an affected weapon, but I have signed the petition and written the members of the committee. I shoot only pistols and bolt action rifles in CA, when I want to shoot semi auto or full auto rifles, I go to Vegas. I haven't purchased a CA legal AR because of the bullet button and won't.

Not only do we need to defeat 249 but the entire restriction that required the bullet button and 10 round mags needs to be attacked. My letters to the legislators addressed both.

I believe the best defense is a good offense. Putting up with the bullet button and restricted magazines has always been distasteful for me.

Good luck to us all!
Old 07-02-2012, 9:28 PM
CGSSA Associate

I just emailed them all again , and made calls earlier this week. Hopefully they will listen and stop this law in its tracks.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...5#post27536285

Please protect me from the evil that I see, and the darkness that I cannot.----Rev.Johnson
Old 07-03-2012, 7:46 AM

Trying to view the hearing but not coming up!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 357shooter; 07-03-2012 at 8:07 AM..
Old 07-03-2012, 8:27 AM

http://assembly.ca.gov/todaysevents

Second to bottom.
Old 07-03-2012, 8:42 AM

Ihave been listening since about 9:20 and it appears they may have pushed the item off, perhaps to the end of the hearing, did anyone hear the first 20 mins?
Old 07-03-2012, 8:44 AM
Arizona Ex-Pat

been moved to the end of the hearing

Old 07-03-2012, 8:48 AM
Bringing up the average.
CGN Contributor

The suspense is killing me-

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
Walking around with a banana in a holster won't do anything but get you laughed at.
"A true patriot would repeal the patriot act"
Ron Paul
Old 07-03-2012, 8:50 AM

What time is the end?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-03-2012, 8:54 AM
Bringing up the average.
CGN Contributor

They started to call Yee then decided to wait for more members. Sometimes that is not a good sign because they are waiting for people they know will vote for a measure.

Quote:
Walking around with a banana in a holster won't do anything but get you laughed at.
Ron Paul
Old 07-03-2012, 8:56 AM
Bringing up the average.
CGN Contributor

Presenting 249 now

Quote:
Ron Paul
Old 07-03-2012, 9:00 AM

The Brady Campaign essentially opposes this version of the bill!!!! They request that the solution be provided by the justice dept and not through this legislation.
Old 07-03-2012, 9:05 AM
Bringing up the average.
CGN Contributor

Yee is quoting the mag magnet website.

Quote:
Ron Paul
Old 07-03-2012, 9:10 AM

Did it just pass? Seemed like it.
Old 07-03-2012, 9:10 AM
Arizona Ex-Pat

scratch original post, we have more work ahead of us

Last edited by pennys dad; 07-03-2012 at 9:20 AM..
Old 07-03-2012, 9:11 AM
Bringing up the average.
CGN Contributor

It sounded like they got the last i

Quote:
Ron Paul
Old 07-03-2012, 9:20 AM

so ...now what?
Old 07-03-2012, 9:22 AM
Arizona Ex-Pat

On call, short one vote. Hagman's not there.
Needs one more vote