Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Young Calgunners
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Young Calgunners This forum is for our younger members, the sons and daughters of Calgunners, younger guests and their parents.

Old 05-20-2010, 5:49 PM

Default 16 Year old wanting a job

Does anybody know of any businesses that are hiring in the O.C. area that are student friendly??

Thanks
Old 05-20-2010, 5:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Do you know how to program in Python? Lots of jobs for that around the web.
Old 05-20-2010, 5:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It may help you if you post some of the jobs that you are interested or have skills in, what hours and days that you are available, whether you have your own transportation, etc.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 05-20-2010, 8:00 PM

*Update*

Monday - Friday can work evenings

Sat/Sunday - any hours

And i have my own transportation
Old 05-20-2010, 10:36 PM

I remember trying to get my first job, I went to every strip mall in my area went to every store, got applications, filled them all out (it took sooooo long to fill them all out) went back to each store, and here is the kicker asked for the manager of each store, introduced myself, explained I was very motivated in "seeking employment"(that was one h*ll of a run on sentance). When you ask to talk to the manager, you basically getting a micro interview and if they like you, your application might sit on top managers desk for when they are ready to hire. When you just go back in and hand in the application to the minimum wage employee, it might be left on the counter to have crap spilled on it, on some random shelf somewhere, if you are lucky, in the HUGE stack of other applications, or even worse, in the trash. By using this method, I got a job at a movie theater within 3 days, man that was a FUN job. There is a block of time from 1996 to 2000 where I seen probably 90% of all the movies that came out.
Old 05-21-2010, 6:14 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I worked at a motorcycle shop when I was 16. It was more like a junk yard for motorcycles but I learned a lot and owned a few by the time I got my license.

I dont really ride anymore but having owned 14 motorcycles I can pretty much jump on any bike and not get myself or anyone else hurt.

HMM-161 Westpac 1994
Old 05-22-2010, 10:51 AM

Knott's Berry Farm.

It's a sh**ty job, but it provides an income.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
If you guys all shot more, you would have more to post about.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chk Chk Boom View Post
Knott's Berry Farm.

It's a sh**ty job, but it provides an income.
Try CVS,Rite Aid,Walgreens all grocery stores.Pizza delivery places.
Old 05-23-2010, 4:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

There should be a counselor at your school able to help you out. I remembered I needed a work permit when I went to highschool in order to work if I was under 18. That same person should be able to point you in the right direction. did you try all the fast food joints? at 16 and going out and finding work on your own and not relying on nepotism, you will probably have to start prett low in areas like fast food or general ***** work. If you feel like you are above those jobs, you may be jobless for a while.
Old 05-23-2010, 7:20 PM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Schools suck for helping with Employment. I worked at a theater as my first job. It worked out great because I used to go waste 8 bucks per ticket every Friday. They pay minimum wage, you work all weekends, and it kept me out of trouble. Plus you get hot dogs for like a dollar. I worked at Rite Aid and was involved in a class action law suit for OT Issues...Its a terrible terrible company. I worked for them almost 10 years ago, and I have yet to support them since then.
Old 05-23-2010, 9:49 PM

Also check out the coffee shops, and various other small food stores (Rubios, Chipotle, etc.)
They all need young, minimally skilled labor.

MUST be willing to do the damn job, and not complain about every little thing. Every kid I talk to at various jobs all complain about other employees, managers, etc. are sooooo stupid, they don't know what they're doing, ad nauseum.

Dumbass, you don't know everything either, even though you think you do.

Yes, retail sucks, but we've all done it, and it's just a means to an end, to get to a better job that you'll like better. Deal with it.

NRA Life Member
Old 05-23-2010, 11:20 PM

Best advice I can give you right now - is don't get discouraged.

Unemployment is high right now. There's a lot of other people out there looking as well. You might find something quickly, you might not. Keep putting in the effort, following up, and making the attempt. Just don't get down on yourself if it takes a little time.
Old 10-01-2010, 5:13 PM

I'm only 22, and I've worked a myriad of jobs. Retail, Maintenance at a church, lifeguard, pizza delivery boy, video game repair tech, and now tech support for an internet company. Being 16, keep your grades up, the state can and will revoke your permit if your GPA gets too low. Also, most places can't hire unless you're 18 because most restaurants serve alcohol. Now pizza places are unique, if you can convince them that you will only make or deliver pizzas and never serve beer you should be golden. Also, if you're good at electronics or computers, advertise your services on craigslist, lots of people go there when their computers are broken and don't want to get charged what best buy charges. And video game systems are always breaking, if you can fix them, its a small gold mine. That's how I helped pay for college and my first handgun. But above all, be proactive, and never give up.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:02 AM

Hope you found a job! I filled out about 30 applications this past summer, got 2 interviews, and still no job.

I pretty much quit trying to find a job but I had a Craigslist hustle going on for a little while. I got a good amount of cash, but it's over now.

Now I really need to find a job!

Ps. Orange county doesn't seem too bad. I'm in Riverside county and I have to compete with adults for minimum wage jobs. It's something like 8-9 people per job opening.