Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 09-13-2013, 8:56 AM

Default Rod Wright

I just emailed Rod Wright and thanked for his strong argument against SB-374. I watched him last night on the Cal channel and he really did a fantastic job. Even though the bill passed Calgunners should email him and thank him for standing against the violation of the 2nd amendment.
Old 09-13-2013, 8:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Done. I'm heartened to see not all democrats are statist gun grabbers. My senator, Richard Roth, also voted no. He too is a democrat and I thanked him for his support also.
Old 09-13-2013, 9:07 AM

There were others that stood in front of the microphone to argue against SB-374 and I appreciate their support also but they read off of a piece of paper and didn't sound sincere. Wright gave his argument from the hip.
Old 09-13-2013, 9:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!

He gets it, he knows his people were persecuted and subjagated. Steinberg is the Auschwitz poster boy, gladly leading his people to the camps.
Old 09-13-2013, 9:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Anyone capture his argument on video? I'd love to see that on YouTube.
Old 09-13-2013, 9:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Roddy Wright is my rep and the rep for a lot of south LA.

He's okay. I call and tell him so every time he goes to bat for us.
Old 09-13-2013, 9:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for reminding me. I just got off the line with his office. I told them I was registered R that votes for him because of his representation on this issue.

I'm a single issue voter. He does about the best job we could ask for from a rep from Los Angeles.
Old 09-13-2013, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja308 View Post
Dear Senator Wright,
When my friends who are still in Ca.get prosecuted and imprisoned for your democrat party bills.
Will your office help with securing a safe prison cell and support for the family's effected?
Thanks for nothing !
Sincerely,
An Arizonian
You are attacking the California State Senator who did the best job of defending our rights last night. Your post is inappropriate.
Old 09-13-2013, 9:34 AM
Calguns Addict

I am also 'represented' by Lowenthal in the assembly. She makes Wright look like Ted Nugent.
Old 09-13-2013, 9:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Bump for getting a video of his AMAZING performance last night.. anybody have it?

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamela Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 09-13-2013, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanPedroShooter View Post
Roddy Wright is my rep and the rep for a lot of south LA.

He's okay. I call and tell him so every time he goes to bat for us.
Mine too, emailing him thanks today.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
However as it stands,Wrights speech has as much influence as Ja308s post!
Normally, the concurrence process last night would have been a rubber stamp.

As it was, they barely eeked it out by ONE vote. That, in and of itself, is unprecedented.

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamela Harris

Old 09-13-2013, 10:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfong View Post
Normally, the concurrence process last night would have been a rubber stamp.

As it was, they barely eeked it out by ONE vote. That, in and of itself, is unprecedented.
And that narrow passage may influence brown in his veto capacity. Its possible.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Considering his Democratic Party, has every gun restriction listed in the party platform.

His performance stinks of good cop, bad cop !

Now if this maverick were in a position to stop or influence these bills passed or if these so called progun democrats would threaten to, or change parties over these intolerable acts. I would elevate them to heroes!

However as it stands,Wrights speech has as much influence as Ja308s post!
You easily tricked Calgunners may want to ask these progun democrats about special provisions for the issues addressed in my mock letter to democrat senator wright
No one is saying that he is our savior but at least he stood up against it. He is a democrat and just like the NRA targets weak democrats for recalls I'm sure the Brady Campaign and Mayor Bloomberg are looking closely at his argument against SB-374 and they will fund some one to run against him. He took a chance with his job so don't knock the guy for giving a dam.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanPedroShooter View Post
And that narrow passage may influence brown in his veto capacity. Its possible.
The mind boggles at the backroom dealing scumbag Steinberg must have had to do to get his votes. But yes, the margin of passing does influence veto decisions.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The mind boggles at the backroom dealing scumbag Steinberg must have had to do to get his votes. But yes, the margin of passing does influence veto decisions.
Passage by one vote is not much to endorse a ban on an entire class of widely owned and protected arms.

Its an out he can use anyway.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Well, ja308, Rod Wright and Democrats like him are what will be needed to fight anti-gun bills in this state, because the GOP isn't going to be taking back CA anytime soon. I'll take help from whomever gives it, and will thank them for it.

While we didn't get the big fish last night, 2 anti-gun bills were defeated which couldn't have happened without Dem opposition. I will thank all of those who spoke and voted in opposition, no matter their party.

Like it or not, a Democrat that is reasonably pro-gun is probably not going to switch parties if they believe in gay marriage, abortion rights, government social programs, etc... Just like a Republican who believes in abortion rights wouldn't switch parties just over that one issue.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:18 AM

I also like the senator that spoke after Wright. I believe his first name was Jim. He started out about saying even though SB374 is about assault weapon, but we need focus on is to stop assault on law abiding citizen right to bear arm.....

I almost cry....

Old 09-13-2013, 10:25 AM

Although I like Wright's speech, I'm some what hesitant to thank him because he also authored another gun control bill that we oppose - SB363,
Old 09-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm_ View Post
Although I like Wright's speech, I'm some what hesitant to thank him because he also authored another gun control bill that we oppose - SB363,
You can thank him for SB374 and you can express your opinion to him on SB363. I don't know much about him, but he may have no idea just how limiting the roster is.

Like I said earlier, we cannot kill bills in this state without some Dem support. If we can't get an R in office, I'd rather fall back on a D that is at least not hostile to the 2A.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Bump for getting a video of his AMAZING performance last night.. anybody have it?
It's on calchannel where they record every legislative meeting

Direct link to last night's Senate session is
http://calchannel.granicus.com/Media...7&clip_id=1633

Sen. Wright's (D-LA) opposition to SB 374 starts at 08:48:50

Archive it, youtube it, spread it.
"Prohibit the peasants from owning katanas, wakizashis, arrows, spears, or matchlock rifles. If the peasants are armed, they will not pay nengu (taxes) and they will not be subordinate to the officials."

Toyotomi Hideyoshi's Sword Hunt Edict of 1588, establishing the class division between the peasants (commoners) and the samurai (the governing elites).

Last edited by CZ man in LA; 09-13-2013 at 10:51 AM..
Old 09-13-2013, 10:49 AM

For those that didn't hear him speak he straight out said courts would throw this bill out in minutes . Wright knows it Brown knows it , they went to far in classifying all semi automatics as assault weapons. They might as well say that cars that do over 65 mph are racing cars , do we really need cars that do over 65 mph on our highways since the legal speed limit is only 65 mph. Good bye freedom of choice and hello Big brother knows what's best for me

Last edited by vaka; 09-13-2013 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: made corrections to quotes
Old 09-13-2013, 10:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ man in LA View Post
It's on calchannel where they record every legislative meeting

Direct link to last night's Senate session is
http://calchannel.granicus.com/Media...7&clip_id=1633

Sen. Wright's (D-LA) opposition to SB 374 starts at 08:48:50

Archive it, youtube it, spread it.
thanks. dloading now. ill try to edit it down later time permitting.

hopefully others are doing the same. steinberg's incoherent rant is also worth highlighting.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:57 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

What Wright said last night was great. But from what I "heard" him say was that they should not vote for the bill, because it has the potential to undo all the prior anti 2a laws. He said he considered voting yes in hopes to get it passed and prior laws repealed. He sounded like he wanted to punish the anti's for being to greedy.

Those who know his history, is he pro or against 2a? I thought he voted for the bill?
Old 09-13-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaka View Post
For those that didn't hear him speak he straight out said the Supreme court would throw this bill out in seconds.
Actually, the full transcript which I just transcribed was:

Sen. Wright (D LA)
(08 : 52 : 14 on the above video link)

"But again if it passes, I'm good because this would be a good one to tee up at the court because it is so BLATANTLY UNCONSTITUTIONAL it'll take about twenty minutes for this to be thrown out AND what it will also do that I am happy about is that we'll be back in a year having to try to make a redefinition because once you make a total ban, then it throws out most of the laws that many people have written and that were unclear. I ask for a no vote"

Note that he did NOT use the phrase "I respectfully ask for a no vote" he said "I ask for a no vote." That alone states that he really believes that this is unconstitutional and does not need to grovel for votes from his fellow members.
"Prohibit the peasants from owning katanas, wakizashis, arrows, spears, or matchlock rifles. If the peasants are armed, they will not pay nengu (taxes) and they will not be subordinate to the officials."

Toyotomi Hideyoshi's Sword Hunt Edict of 1588, establishing the class division between the peasants (commoners) and the samurai (the governing elites).

Old 09-13-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamble View Post
Those who know his history, is he pro or against 2a? I thought he voted for the bill?
SB 374 has gone to the Senate floor twice.

The first time it was on the floor was 2013/05/29. They passed it, but with 15 state senators saying no.
Nays were: Anderson, Berryhill, Cannella, Correa, Emmerson, Fuller, Gaines, Galgiani, Huff, Knight, Nielsen, Roth, Walters, Wright, Wyland

Then it got sent over to the Assembly. It got read on 2013/09/10. They passed it, but with 31 assembly members voting no.
Nays were: Achadjian, Allen, Bigelow, Brown, Chávez, Conway, Cooley, Dahle, Donnelly, Fox, Frazier, Beth Gaines, Gorell, Grove, Hagman, Harkey, Jones, Linder, Logue, Maienschein, Mansoor, Medina, Melendez, Morrell, Nestande, Olsen, Patterson, Salas, Wagner, Waldron, Wilk

The bill was sent back to the Senate yesterday to pass whatever amendments the Assembly did. They passed it, but with 15 state senators saying no.
Nays were: Anderson, Berryhill, Cannella, Correa, Emmerson, Fuller, Gaines, Huff, Knight, Nielsen, Roth, Vidak, Walters, Wright, Wyland

Last edited by CZ man in LA; 09-13-2013 at 11:11 AM..
Old 09-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

I think that Wright did a very courageous thing in crossing party lines for this vote. He is doing what's right and be a representative, not an ad hoc parent to his constituents.

Whether or not Wright believes in some controls on gun ownership really isn't as much of an issue as the fact he recognized that on its face, SB374 is blatantly unconstitutional. Not many Dems were singing that tune last night, or any other session for that matter.

I can only hope that if the Gov. doesn't see it that way and signs this bill into law, then the courts will and we can undo 20+ years of tyrannical and oppressive gun laws.

EDIT: Can I get an email link? I tried using the Senate's contact email but it won't work as Wright is not my rep.

Last edited by omgwtfbbq; 09-13-2013 at 11:35 AM..
Old 09-13-2013, 11:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock6.3 View Post
You are attacking the California State Senator who did the best job of defending our rights last night. Your post is inappropriate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenchfoot View Post
Well, ja308, Rod Wright and Democrats like him are what will be needed to fight anti-gun bills in this state, because the GOP isn't going to be taking back CA anytime soon. I'll take help from whomever gives it, and will thank them for it.

While we didn't get the big fish last night, 2 anti-gun bills were defeated which couldn't have happened without Dem opposition. I will thank all of those who spoke and voted in opposition, no matter their party.

Like it or not, a Democrat that is reasonably pro-gun is probably not going to switch parties if they believe in gay marriage, abortion rights, government social programs, etc... Just like a Republican who believes in abortion rights wouldn't switch parties just over that one issue.
I thank you for your well thought out analysis ! Because of your explanation, I will retract my sarcastic letter mocking Senator Wright .
You made your point very well !
Old 09-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

ja308 seems to be on a personal crusade to personally ensure nobody who doesn't believe as he believes is aliented and insulted. That will not help our cause in the slightest.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Old 09-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
ja308 seems to be on a personal crusade to personally ensure nobody who doesn't believe as he believes is aliented and insulted. That will not help our cause in the slightest.
Well I get upset when I know the Democratic Party wants to legislate myself and friends into felony convictions and prison.

I did retract my sarcastic, mock letter to Senator Wright after reading a post that outlined info I had not considered .

My goal is to elevate progun candidates as recommended by the NRA/ GOA ect.
Honestly I'm surprised at how little support I get from Calgunners
Old 09-13-2013, 12:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Well I get upset when I know the Democratic Party wants to legislate myself and friends into felony convictions and prison.

I did retract my sarcastic, mock letter to Senator Wright after reading a post that outlined info I had not considered .

My goal is to elevate progun candidates as recommended by the NRA/ GOA ect.
Honestly I'm surprised at how little support I get from Calgunners
That bus left the station already. We need to focus on what is happening NOW. Haranguing someone for something they did last November isn't productive RIGHT NOW.

Quote:
Dude went full CNN...
Old 09-13-2013, 12:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Imagine if he is correct and all prior "assault" weapons bills are thrown out. Imagine all the vacating of convictions from said bills. Wow.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm View Post
He gets it, he knows his people were persecuted and subjagated. Steinberg is the Auschwitz poster boy, gladly leading his people to the camps.
That's awesome, Frank. I cannot for the life of me understand why one of Jewish heritage would spit in the face of his own people.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamble View Post
Imagine if he is correct and all prior "assault" weapons bills are thrown out. Imagine all the vacating of convictions from said bills. Wow.
It would be like Tabula Rasa for semiautos. That's like the best possible case scenario for the gun owning community.

As a member of the community corrects community, I can say that I haven't seen many AW related cases come through my county, but I'm sure there is plenty statewide that would have to be vacated.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Anybody have a direct email for Wright? I got bounced for not being in his district.

Quote:
Dude went full CNN...
Old 09-13-2013, 12:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
He would not have brought it forward for a vote if he was not sure it would pass. He is the Senate leader and his ego has no bounds.

Smug ...
CGN and NVS
Old 09-13-2013, 12:49 PM
Calguns Addict

senator.wright@sen.ca.gov
Old 09-13-2013, 12:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Senator.wright@sen.ca.gov
Old 09-13-2013, 12:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thanks bro. I owe you a beer.

Quote:
Dude went full CNN...
Old 09-13-2013, 12:56 PM

Saw the video of his opposition speech. Just emailed and thanked him, he is my representative and I actually had no idea.