Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 07-02-2015, 8:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wentbig View Post
Something has changed at the Yolo Sheriff Office.
The SO has stopped processing applications for CCW. When pressured they will issue a denial without explanation.
I know for a fact this is a arbitrary act based on spite.
I have copies of applications and Good Cause statements to back up my statement. This is a very sad time in Yolo Sheriff history.
You don't really expect "the chief law enforcement officer of the county" to actually obey the law himself, do you? (Ah, to be young & naive again.... )

Nope. Our major urban CLEOs are as corrupt as 3rd world CLEOs -- and they're PROUD of it, in private using the flag to wipe their ---es.

It's all good because he's just setting himself up to get schooled on Salute v. Pitchess.
Old 07-29-2015, 2:45 PM

So...2 weeks?
Old 08-07-2015, 11:06 AM

I was randomly looking at the City of Woodland's Police "Order Manual" and came across some propaganda... See page 52, Section 1.05.02:

Quote:
PROCEDURE
A. ADMINISTRATIVE POLICY
1. By operation of California Law, Penal Code Section 12050, the Chief of Police or Sheriff of the law enforcement agency of jurisdiction has the discretion to issue a permit to carry a concealed weapon to a resident of the area of jurisdiction provided that person is of good moral character and that good cause exists for the issuance of the license. The Woodland Police Department has adopted this policy for the City of Woodland.

2. Experience has revealed that concealed firearms carried for protection provide a false sense of security and the permittee is often a victim of his/her own weapon or the subject of civil or criminal litigation stemming from an improper use of the weapon.

3. It is the judgment of the Woodland Police Department that the utilization of standard personal/commercial security practices will result in a safer environment than that which comes from carrying a firearm. This judgment is in accordance with the view of the California Peace Officer’s Association, “...that all permits to carry concealed weapons by private individuals in the State of California be revoked and that the legislation authorizing issuance of such permits be repealed.”

4. For these reasons and considering the danger to society resulting from the possession and use of concealed firearms, it is the policy of the Department that “good cause” for the issuance of any concealed weapons permit would exist only in the most extreme and aggravated circumstances.
Not to mention the 1 year residency and $1,000,000 insurance requirements...
Old 08-07-2015, 2:40 PM

Woodland is slowly becoming Davis.
Old 10-21-2015, 4:59 PM

So is applying for a CCW in Yolo County a waste of time?? Are they making it easier or harder? Please some insight.
Old 10-21-2015, 5:26 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

My brother in law lives in Woodland and has CCW issued by the county. He got it in his late 20's, had it for more than 10 years now. He owns a (very) small business. I know this is the exception nowadays though...

Old 10-21-2015, 5:31 PM

I've just heard its near to impossible. Im a 42yo, Fireman and clean record. I hope I can get one.
Old 10-21-2015, 8:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05firemedic View Post
So is applying for a CCW in Yolo County a waste of time?? Are they making it easier or harder? Please some insight.
IIRC, a poster in the last few pages of this thread said that Yolo Co SO stopped issuing CCWs (which would be against the law, but, heck, that never stopped anti sheriffs before....). ETA: see my post #201 above.

In case you do not know it, Yolo Co SO is the defendant in the Peruta case that is being decided by an 11-judge en banc panel of the 9th Circuit as we speak and they've said in the past if they lose that decision, they'll appeal to SCOTUS.

So, long story short, no, Pietro or whatever his name is, doesn't give a rat's --- about our 2nd A RKBA and our lives, and probably uses US flag as toilet paper....
Old 10-23-2015, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05firemedic View Post
In my opinion it's going to take over a year for them to sort out the Peruta case...

So that being said, if you apply and are denied, then you can just re-apply in a year, because they still will have not removed their heads from there asses
Old 10-23-2015, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
My brother in law lives in Woodland and has CCW issued by the county. He got it in his late 20's, had it for more than 10 years now. He owns a (very) small business. I know this is the exception nowadays though...
Precisely. He probably carries cash or operates in remote areas I'm assuming...so he's a minority CCW permit holder in Yolo
Old 12-06-2015, 3:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Ironic - about ten years ago, Yolo was one of the ONLY counties you I COULD get a CCW. Solano was impossible until about 5 years ago, now Solano issues them almost as shall issue- for the time being.
Old 12-06-2015, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
I wonder just wonder since this is such a small town still if I know who you are talking about. I have high school friend here in town and has his under the same circumstances.
Old 12-21-2015, 8:11 PM

I've had mine in Yolo for going on 3 years now . I've heard a lot of people get turned down in recent years . Hopefully the pending court ruling goes into effect soon .
Old 12-21-2015, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodeman View Post
I've had mine in Yolo for going on 3 years now . I've heard a lot of people get turned down in recent years . Hopefully the pending court ruling goes into effect soon .
3 years ago wasn't that far back... You still needed a solid justification back then...

Sent from my mobile via Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2016, 4:52 AM

Default Should i bother applying at this time?

I live in Yolo County but work for a neighboring Sheriff's Office as a Correctional Officer. Does this give me any better chances of getting my CCW? Should I just hold off until we hear something about the court case?
Old 01-03-2016, 5:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconte5 View Post
I live in Yolo County but work for a neighboring Sheriff's Office as a Correctional Officer. Does this give me any better chances of getting my CCW? Should I just hold off until we hear something about the court case?
I don't think dropping by the Yolo SO and asking would hurt. If they seem optimistic, it would allow you to apply before the FLOOD of applicants if we win. If we do not win, you would have wasted time waiting for a win. IOW, either way Peruta goes, IMO it is best to apply, or at least inquire, now.
Old 01-09-2016, 5:56 PM

Has anyone been issued their CCW lately from Yolo? Can you submit on-line or go in person?
Old 02-14-2016, 9:42 PM

You have to go in person . If you go to their web site under CCW stuff you will see what they want . Pretty painless just took a few trips in for different appointments . took about 2-3 months total if I remember correctly . I wouldn't spend the $ for the CCW class first if they deny it then your not out the money for the class . You can submit the app then they will tell you you need to submit the class paperwork at a certain date . You have to go to a approved CCW instructor that's on Yolo SF list .

Do you work for woodland fire?
Old 02-14-2016, 9:46 PM

Here is what Yolo wants

http://www.yolocountysheriff.com/wp-...over-Sheet.pdf
Old 02-16-2016, 5:08 AM

Kodeman

Do you have you CCW for yolo? Did you have any trouble with your good cause statement?
Old 01-02-2018, 8:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

So, is anyone challenging Sheriff Prieto in the June sheriff's election?
Old 03-05-2018, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Is anyone familiar with Undersheriff Lopez?
Old 03-05-2018, 7:32 PM

Quote:

https://www.davisenterprise.com/loca...llenge-prieto/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconte5 View Post
Is anyone familiar with Undersheriff Lopez?
From what I hear Mr. Lopez is Pro 2a, a local guy that has grown up within the department and I have heard first hand from 2 local sheriffs that 90% of them are ready for this change.

http://www.yolocountysheriff.com/about/command-staff/
Old 03-06-2018, 2:19 PM

http://tomlopez4sheriff.com
Old 03-12-2018, 7:36 PM

Bye bye Sheriff Ed!

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/cri...ing_Newsletter
Old 03-14-2018, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBShot View Post
Was coming to post that myself. Definitely optimistic we can vote in a pro ccw sheriff. Will have to research the candidates. Time will tell.
Old 03-14-2018, 4:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetacos View Post
https://www.davisenterprise.com/loca...llenge-prieto/

From what I hear Mr. Lopez is Pro 2a, a local guy that has grown up within the department and I have heard first hand from 2 local sheriffs that 90% of them are ready for this change.
I don't know what your source is, but from his campaign website he sounds like a typical Leftist/Liberal ....

Quote:
Yolo County Policy Regarding ICE Cooperation:

I absolutely agree with our current policy, and have no intention to change the existing Yolo County position regarding ICE. Our priority is now, and will remain, solely the safety of our local communities and families.

Conceal Carry Weapons Permits (CCW):

I’m not planning to make any changes to the current policy. In my experience there is quite a bit of misinformation and misunderstanding, and because the topic is very emotionally charged any past dialogue has been difficult.

I’d like to start by bringing people together to talk. After a thorough dialogue, we’ll have a clearer picture and can proceed from there. But I absolutely commit to an inclusive, open and transparent discussion.

A More Reflective Office:

Our office needs to be more reflective of our entire diverse community. It’s our responsibility to be proactive in pursuing and recruiting staff and Deputies so that our Sheriff’s Office is a more accurate representation of the community and can better serve the needs of every neighborhood.
More at: http://tomlopez4sheriff.com/issues/

The pessimist in me says he'll talk you to death and not change a thing.
The optimist in me says he can't be any worse than Prieto so things will either stay the same or get better.

Last edited by Paladin; 09-08-2018 at 1:41 PM..
Old 03-14-2018, 5:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBShot View Post
From that article:
Quote:
The department has faced some controversy under Prieto's leadership, including a 2014 grand jury report that said Prieto ran his office like the “Wild, Wild West,” finding a years-long record of intimidation, harassment and nepotism.
Wow. A civil grand jury investigation is part of the reason Prieto is retiring. Hmm. Who's been pushing people to use that method this past year or so....

Quote:
Early last month, a former Yolo deputy settled a lawsuit against the county in which she claimed Prieto kissed her on the lips and gave her at least 100 unwanted hugs. Victoria Zetwick, a retired deputy who served 24 years in the department, settled the lawsuit for a $98,000 payment.
Let's round it off to $100,000 for 100 hugs = $1,000/hug "Thanks, Ed! We hope she was worth it" (say the taxpayers).

Do they still tar & feather crooks in Yolo County?
Old 03-14-2018, 5:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
Was coming to post that myself. Definitely optimistic we can vote in a pro ccw sheriff. Will have to research the candidates. Time will tell.
I gave you Lopez's position on CCWs from his own website in post #227.

I can't find a campaign website for Mr. John L. Jackson. He's 69 yo, and thus likely to be an anti. Why? Well, let's say he was 24 yo when he started his LE career. That was 45 years ago: back in 1973 -- that was just before the original Death Wish movie came out. That was more than a decade before Bernie Goetz got his gun. That was more than a dozen years before the first state of the Shall Issue movement passed SI (FL in '86).

Sad to say, but most old LEOs are antis because that's how things were when they got trained.

You say "time will tell," but the election is June 5th. Runoff, if necessary, is in Nov. Odds are June 5th will be it. That's less than 12 weeks away. Let's say mail-in ballots can be submitted 2 weeks ahead (I do NOT know if that is true.) That means less than 10 weeks for Yolo gunnies to find out who to support (if anyone) and to figure out how to best support them and to do that so that in less than 10 weeks, they'll be safely ahead.... IOW, if you aren't panicking now, you should be.

Remember the Peruta case and all the other Carry Cases before it? Don't expect the federal courts to get you CCWs. Don't waste this opportunity where an incumbent is not running again. Seize the day!

From March 10th: https://www.davisenterprise.com/loca...sheriffs-race/

Last edited by Paladin; 03-14-2018 at 8:08 PM..
Old 03-14-2018, 7:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I gave you Lopez's position on CCWs from his own website in post #227.

I can't find a campaign website for Mr. John L. Jackson. He's 69 yo, and thus likely to be an anti. Let's say he was 24 yo when he started his LE career. That was 45 years ago: back in 1973 -- that was just before the original Death Wish movie came out. That was more than a decade before Bernie Goetz got his gun. That was more than a dozen years before the first state of the Shall Issue movement passed SI (FL in '86).

Sad to say, but most old LEOs are antis because that's how things were when they got trained.

You say "time will tell," but the election is June 5th. Runoff, if necessary, is in Nov. Odds are June 5th will be it. That's less than 12 weeks away. Let's say mail-in ballots can be submitted 2 weeks ahead (I do NOT know if that is true.) That means less than 10 weeks for Yolo gunnies to find out who to support (if anyone) and to figure out how to best support them and to do that so that in less than 10 weeks, they'll be safely ahead.... IOW, if you aren't panicking now, you should be.

Remember the Peruta case and all the other Carry Cases before it? Don't expect the federal courts to get you CCWs. Don't waste this opportunity where an incumbent is not running again. Seize the day!

From March 10th: https://www.davisenterprise.com/loca...sheriffs-race/
I do not expect the courts to ever find in "our" favor. Was, at a minimum, hoping for a candidate to allow for simple "self defense" as a reason for a ccw. Last I checked, the current policy stated "self defense" in of itself was not a viable reason for issuance. That is all I have, so it isn't going to get any worse for me, personally.
Old 03-14-2018, 8:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
I do not expect the courts to ever find in "our" favor. Was, at a minimum, hoping for a candidate to allow for simple "self defense" as a reason for a ccw. Last I checked, the current policy stated "self defense" in of itself was not a viable reason for issuance. That is all I have, so it isn't going to get any worse for me, personally.
That would take Yolo to "dark green" on the CA CCW GC map. My *guess* -- based on absolutely NOTHING but my gut -- is that the new sheriff (most likely Lopez since Jackson doesn't even have a campaign website that I could find w/google), will take it to light red (like Sonoma or CoCoCo). Over the years, if you organize like San Diego did with San Diego County Gun Owners, you may be able persuade him to eventually go to "yellow" (like Napa and SD currently).

While that may not get you a CA CCW, it will arm others GGs in Yolo Co, and that makes everyone safer (BGs excepted).

Related: since it appears Jackson is a candidate in name only, and Pietro withdrew, there's only 1 candidate, Lopez, so no real need to organize for (or against) him (unless folks vote for Jackson despite his weak campaign).

Last edited by Paladin; 03-14-2018 at 8:11 PM..
Old 03-15-2018, 8:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
That would take Yolo to "dark green" on the CA CCW GC map. My *guess* -- based on absolutely NOTHING but my gut -- is that the new sheriff (most likely Lopez since Jackson doesn't even have a campaign website that I could find w/google), will take it to light red (like Sonoma or CoCoCo). Over the years, if you organize like San Diego did with San Diego County Gun Owners, you may be able persuade him to eventually go to "yellow" (like Napa and SD currently).

While that may not get you a CA CCW, it will arm others GGs in Yolo Co, and that makes everyone safer (BGs excepted).

Related: since it appears Jackson is a candidate in name only, and Pietro withdrew, there's only 1 candidate, Lopez, so no real need to organize for (or against) him (unless folks vote for Jackson despite his weak campaign).
Geez, thanks for dashing my hopes
Old 04-27-2018, 2:59 PM

Sheriff Prieto will be on the June ballot along with Under-Sheriff Lopez!
Old 04-30-2018, 9:45 PM

Yeah, Got the sample ballot today... Sad to see only those two. I've been to Sheriff Lopez's page, and I too am not encouraged by his stance. Oh well, like someone said before, can't be any worse....hopefully.
Old 09-09-2018, 8:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Thumbs up Yolo Co is "light red", not "dark red"

Although we won't be able to update the map for a few weeks, I just wanted to let everyone interested know that Yolo Co is "light red" (highly restrictive, regularly issues), not "dark red" (highly restrictive, rarely issues).

So, if you have GC that can meet the sheriff's restrictive standard (below), go and apply and good luck!

Quote:
205.4.3 CRITERIA

• Examples of valid reasons to request a permit include, but are not limited to:

(a) Victim's of violent crime and/ or documented threats of violence

(b) Business owners who carry large sums of cash or valuable items.

(c) Business owners who work all hours in remote areas and are likely to encounter dangerous people and situations

• Examples of invalid reasons to request a permit include, but are not limited to:

(a) Recreation in remote areas

(b) Hunting or fishing

(c) Self-protection and protection of family without credible threat of violence

(d) Employment in the security field, i.e. security guard, body guard, VIP protection

(e) Personal safety due to job conditions or duties placed on the applicant by their employer
From: http://www.yolocountysheriff.com/wp-...irearm-1-1.pdf

Last edited by Paladin; 09-14-2018 at 9:09 PM..
Old 09-14-2018, 8:41 PM

Nothing has changed in their policy and doubt it will once the new sheriff is sworn in. The county should remain dark red as they virtually issue no permits unless you meet one of the three criteria’s as written in their policy but that isn’t even guaranteed.

I have a friend who owns a small used car lot and auto repair shop and he was denied. They offer primarily “buy here, pay here” type financing so he sometimes carries large amounts of cash to the bank and he was still denied.

Quote:
Although we won't be able to update the map for a few weeks, I just wanted to let everyone interested know that Yolo Co is "light red" (highly restrictive, regularly issues), not "dark red" (highly restrictive, rarely issues).

So, if you have GC that can meet the sheriff's restrictive standard (below), go and apply and good luck!

From: http://www.yolocountysheriff.com/wp-...irearm-1-1.pdf
Old 09-14-2018, 8:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetacos View Post
Nothing has changed in their policy and doubt it will once the new sheriff is sworn in. The county should remain dark red as they virtually issue no permits unless you meet one of the three criteria’s as written in their policy but that isn’t even guaranteed.

I have a friend who owns a small used car lot and auto repair shop and he was denied. They offer primarily “buy here, pay here” type financing so he sometimes carries large amounts of cash to the bank and he was still denied.
ETA: Did your friend get denied because of insufficient GC, lack of GMC (have some "color" in his past), or something else? If for insufficient GC, did he appeal? If not, why not? If so, what was the result of the appeal? ETA3: Unless you saw his denial letter, there's always the possibility he just said he was denied for lack of GC when it was really for something else (that he feels is none of your business).

IIRC, they've got something like ~300 issued CCWs for a pop. of 201k, so that's not virtually "No Issue" the way SF and LA are. (IIRC, SF has 0 or 1 while LA has ~500 for a pop of 10M.) Yolo is still highly restrictive though, so that's light red. ETA2: Plus, like the map says, it can be off by 1 color.

You should suggest to your friend to reapply after Lopez takes office in January.

BTW be sure to post if you come across any articles re. Lopez that mentions CCWs or any articles mentioning upcoming Lopez Q&A/"Meet & Greet" events so that Yolo Co folk can talk to him about liberalizing CCW issuance.

FWIW I find it funny how people are more than happy to complain, but not willing to organize to improve their CCW situation....

Last edited by Paladin; 09-17-2018 at 12:19 PM..
Old 09-23-2018, 9:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
ETA: Did your friend get denied because of insufficient GC, lack of GMC (have some "color" in his past), or something else? If for insufficient GC, did he appeal? If not, why not? If so, what was the result of the appeal? ETA3: Unless you saw his denial letter, there's always the possibility he just said he was denied for lack of GC when it was really for something else (that he feels is none of your business).

IIRC, they've got something like ~300 issued CCWs for a pop. of 201k, so that's not virtually "No Issue" the way SF and LA are. (IIRC, SF has 0 or 1 while LA has ~500 for a pop of 10M.) Yolo is still highly restrictive though, so that's light red. ETA2: Plus, like the map says, it can be off by 1 color.
Here's the Davis Enterprise news article with the interview with Lopez where they say YCSO has ~300 CCWs issued. Bolding added.

Quote:
Other policies Lopez plans to leave intact if he’s elected. Deputies would continue to abstain from performing immigration enforcement, and he’d maintain the current criteria for issuing concealed-weapon permits.

“I do believe our policy has merit, and it’s an area that I want to have a conversation with the community about,” said Lopez, who thinks there are some who perceive the agency doesn’t issue CCW permits at all.

In fact, about 300 of them have been granted under the policy, which requires applicants to demonstrate “good cause” for seeking the permit, such as a threat of falling victim to violent crime.

While a proponent of the Second Amendment right to bear arms, “I am a firm believer that not everyone is entitled to have one,” Lopez said.
https://www.davisenterprise.com/loca...mmunity-trust/
Old 09-23-2018, 9:51 AM
Veteran Member

While a proponent of the Second Amendment right to bear arms, “I am a firm believer that not everyone is entitled to have one,” Lopez said.

Typical anti 2A, anti gun, anti citizens protecting themselves. Sorry, you cannot say "proponent" and "entitled" in the same sentence in regards to your supposed belief in the "right to bear arms."
Old 10-07-2018, 6:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If you listen all the way to the end of the video (just a few minutes), it sounds like Pietro will stay until the bitter end (Dec 31st?).

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/vide...r-he-withdrew/

Nonetheless, you never know: when the inevitable draws near, Prieto may act like his selfish self and quit early to spend the holidays with family, friends and sycophants....

I hope Yolo people who want "change" re. CCWs are forming a local organization to gain more and more members so they can have representatives approach sheriff-elect Lopez to encourage him to issue more CCWs by loosening the Good Cause standard. NOTHING will change unless you force it to...

You have less than 3 months (less than 90 days), until Lopez takes office.

Last edited by Paladin; 10-09-2018 at 1:01 PM..