Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-25-2018, 5:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I developed astigmatism slowly and didn’t notice. I ended up sending my Aimpoint M4 back to Aimpoint because the dot had turned into a line over time. I got the sight back from Aimpoint along with a hand written note that said “your red dot is fine. See an eye doctor”. So I did and wow, I couldn’t believe how Crisp everything was. Especially at night
Old 06-25-2018, 6:44 AM

If you have perfect vision and the sight is set up properly, you will see a spot. If you have astigmatism, you won't see a spot, but everything else will be slightly blurred too, so that's not having perfect vision. If everything else is sharp but the spot is elongated, there's something wrong with the sight. I have perfect vision with corrective lenses, and my Holosun 2 MOA spot is a tight spot.

Red dot sights are pretty simple things, they just require a tiny internal LED light source and a decent tilted mirror (the front glass) to collimate the light and send it back to your eye. If you look at infinity (very far away), you should see a tight spot, and if you look much closer than infinity you'll see a larger blurry spot, but it should blur out more or less equally in all directions. Red dot are only going to work perfectly for targets very far away, otherwise there's a parallax effect and the spot will move around a bit on the target as you move your head. Which is why extremely tiny spots aren't that important unless you want perfect accuracy for targets far away (in which case a scope might be a better option).
Old 06-25-2018, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
If you have perfect vision and the sight is set up properly, you will see a spot. If you have astigmatism, you won't see a spot, but everything else will be slightly blurred too, so that's not having perfect vision. If everything else is sharp but the spot is elongated, there's something wrong with the sight. I have perfect vision with corrective lenses, and my Holosun 2 MOA spot is a tight spot.

Red dot sights are pretty simple things, they just require a tiny internal LED light source and a decent tilted mirror (the front glass) to collimate the light and send it back to your eye. If you look at infinity (very far away), you should see a tight spot, and if you look much closer than infinity you'll see a larger blurry spot, but it should blur out more or less equally in all directions. Red dot are only going to work perfectly for targets very far away, otherwise there's a parallax effect and the spot will move around a bit on the target as you move your head. Which is why extremely tiny spots aren't that important unless you want perfect accuracy for targets far away (in which case a scope might be a better option).
Thank you. So there is a possibility my sights are defective then. Reason I ask is because I asked my 12 year old daughter to test the sight, she saw a blob as well.

When you say red dot is elongated, like a comet?
Old 06-25-2018, 10:11 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Everyone's astigmatism is different so the best thing to do would be to find a way to look at the red dots your considering in person.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiti View Post
Thank you. So there is a possibility my sights are defective then. Reason I ask is because I asked my 12 year old daughter to test the sight, she saw a blob as well.

If you are not sure, take a picture of the dot with your cellphone. If the dot in the pic looks round or circular, it's your eyes that is the problem.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trriemferent View Post
If you are not sure, take a picture of the dot with your cellphone. If the dot in the pic looks round or circular, it's your eyes that is the problem.
That is the case for me, I guess my daughter has astigmatism as well lol.
Old 06-25-2018, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiti View Post

More like a bar, narrower in one direction than the other. But again, if you're not noticing vision problems looking at distant trees, say, or stars at night, then it's not your eyeballs, it's the sight. Also remember you have to look at infinity, through the sight - if you focus your eye in the vicinity of the gun, the spot will blur out because it's intended to be a tiny spot only if you focus your eyes at infinity.

A cell phone pic might or might not be good indication, depends on how big the lens is compared with your pupil. A smaller lens will pick up less of the beam coming off the tilted front lens, and that will tend to make it look like a tighter spot.

But, two tests that will sort it out for you. One, a vision test at the ophthalmologist, and two, checking out other red dot sights at a store and seeing if they're any better than what you have.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:33 PM

I have astigmatism pretty bad. To see the red dots sharp, i have to shoot rifles with my prescription glasses on if i want the dot bright. Can use my regular shooting glasses if i turn the dot way down. Not almost off but just way down. It's not perfect but i get by.

Al
Back to owning some of those "polymer" guns.

They see me rollin'
They hatin'
Old 06-29-2018, 11:35 AM

I may just try a 1MOA and return if it does not work out...Anyone here try a 1MOA for a pistol?
Old 07-09-2018, 6:52 PM

Received the RM09 (1 MOA) today. Dot is not as small as I expected, with my astigmatism that is. It actually works out better for me. The comet-like blob is not as pronounced as the 3 MOA. A bit smaller at auto brightness setting. I can easily make it bigger by turning up the brightness.

Here are some pics to show the dot size as I see them, although not as a perfect circle as the camera captures it. Overall very happy with my decision. I really thought that the RM09 was literally a small dot that may be too small for a pistol.

Here are some pics:

Old 07-09-2018, 7:44 PM

I have a touch of astigmatism in my dominant eye. The other eye sees a perfect dot.

I just put the blotchy red blob on whatever I want to hit and it works every time. No need for a perfect looking dot at fighting distances.

-Robinson Jeffers
Old 07-11-2018, 10:01 AM

Weird, at times, upon first glance for the first time in a while, dot appears perfect dot as a 1 MOA should look. But given a couple of minutes, the blotchy red blob goes back. This happens both indoors and outdoors but less prominent under the bright sun, red blotch that is.

I will have my eyes checked for sure though and hoping to correct my astigmatism.

Can astigmatism be even corrected, or just remedied with prescription glasses?
Old 07-11-2018, 10:59 AM

Ducatiti: nicely setup up Glock! I'm normally a Stock Glock kind of guy, but I'd take that one in a second!!! Nice job and you hit all the bases perfectly. hope it shoots well.

What I have found with Red Dot Sights, and I have 6 TRS 25's and a Burris Fast Fire II, is that the placement of your eye behind the sight, IE Alignment with the sight, has more to do with the shape of the dot than any other factor.

On a TRS-25 if your eye is not aligned perfectly with the sight,(easier on a rifle where you have a cheek weld,) The dot will NOT be round. Turning down the illumination level helps for precision work like sighting the gun in.

On my carbines, where I have a repeatable Cheek Weld I can get most of what I'm looking for and especially on the bench where I can control everything. The dots on all sights of this type are not going to be perfectly round simply due to the fact that the dot is projected onto an angled lens and then back to a none angled rear lens. this causes distortion to some degree in all cases. It is optically impossible to get it perfect it will alwasy be a compromise. More expensive versions of this type of sight (Aimpoint) are somewhat better, but not enough to justify 6X the price. The TRS-25 is basically a copy of the Aimpoint with a few minor differences.

But what does any of this mean in the context of practical use? ZIP!

With a dot type sight, there should be no "studying of the sights." it is simply Dot on Target, bang, dot bang, dot bang. It is all about speed of target acquisition, not pinpoint accuracy, and this is especially true with pistols due to the shorter ranges associated with fighting with a pistol.

After a lay off it usually takes me about 2-3 shots to get back to dot,bang. But I have practiced with that very thing in mind. When I see someone shooting at a 25 yard target with a carbine, and trying for perfect shot placement on a man sized target I know for a fact they are studying the sights.

After you have gotten your guns sighted in at, IMO, 25 yards with a dot. You are good to go. There will be a period where you can't hit anything and find yourself searching for the dot with every presentation. You will work thru that and get to the point where you are looking at the dot every time, and then you will look towards placing the shot where you want it.

You will have one more problem with your co-witnessed suppressor sights in that they tend to shift your attention from your primary sight, the dot, to them. This will detract from your speed of target acquisition until you break that habit.

As far as your eyes, Yes by all means get them checked out. When you get your prescription I would recommend progressive lenses and have them made "One click less intense" than the prescription as that will increase your focal length.

I have been shooting with progressive lenses for the last 10 years, and I ahve also been shooting Red Dot sights for that long too.

One last point, and I made this in my "Love the Mini 14 Haters" Thread. If you are trying to shoot groups with a Red Dot sight you need to be shooting at a point not an area like a Bullseye. Shoot at a Diamond shaped target and place the edge of the dot on the side point of the diamond. You can index the sight more consistently doing it like that. It doesn't matter if the dot is perfectly round, you simply place the side of it next to the point of the diamond and let fly.

Good luck with your gun. Go to Front Sight and really learn how to shoot it!

Here's a pic of something that will help you get more out of that gun and sight combination. I can hit a man sized target every single time at 100 yards with my G35 off a rest.

Randy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100464630.JPG (87.6 KB, 16 views)

www.buchananprecisionmachine.com
Old 07-11-2018, 1:40 PM

I had an Eotech w 1 MOA red dot on a carbine for a while. After not using it for a few years I tried it and the dot was not crisp any more-- it was all fuzzy. So I gave it to a friend.

Also have an Aimpoint PRO where same thing happened -- the red dot was all blurred and not effective. Although could see my ACOG chevron reticle 100% fine.

I went to eye doctor and realized my eyes had gotten bad over past few years since turning 45yo and I was a tad near sighted. With prescription glasses all of a sudden my Aimpoint PRO red dot looks crisp as ever.

I use a pair of prescription glasses now for my shooting glasses and everything is fine. Wish I hadn't given away my Eotech!!
Old 07-14-2018, 5:43 PM

I shoot left handed and am left eye dominant. I have a mono-vision contact lens prescription; left near and right far. This allows me to see handgun and rifle/shotgun sights thru my left eye and everything else at distance thru my right eye. My right eye was previously adjusted for astigmatism but not my left eye. So, red dots just looked blurry to me when viewed w/my left eye.

Finally realized that I could fix that and just visited my optometrist today to get an astigmatism adjusted contact lens prescription for my left eye. Brought a TRS-25 red dot w/me to the office to test the change. I can now see a red dot clearly w/my left eye. I had to sacrifice some near vision in order to get the red dot to look like a dot, which means that I can't read "fine" print but I can still read most things w/o difficulty.

The current plan is to just wear the "red dot" left lens when shooting but I may end up wearing them all the time if the sacrifice in near vision isn't that great and the inconvenience/cost of switching is too great.