Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:07 PM

Default USI Concord injury today

Today a gentleman had what appeared to be a. 44 revolver explode while firing. Blew the cylinder in half, taking the entire top of the gun off. The shrapnel caused injury to him. I saw the pictures of the gun and I hope he gets well soon. Rumor mill says he was shooting reloads from a gun show. This brings up the question, are reloads safe from unknown sources like a gun show? Anyone else have any problems?
Old 01-26-2014, 10:15 PM
In Memoriam

Hope he recovers from injuries sustained.
No way I'm firing reloads that I did not make myself
or by a very few trusted persons I know.
-g
Old 01-26-2014, 10:39 PM
CGN Contributor

Oh man, I was there today too, not for that though.

Worries me, I bought 1,000 rounds of 9mm reloads from http://www.rlbammo.com/ should I not use it?
Old 01-27-2014, 7:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Any injuries to other shooters? I was at the members range on Sunday morning so I am gonna assume it happened at the public pistol range where there aren't any partitions between shooters.
Old 01-27-2014, 8:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatryan View Post
Worries me, I bought 1,000 rounds of 9mm reloads from http://www.rlbammo.com/ should I not use it?
I trust a couple of the larger "factory reload" companies. Freedom Munitions makes an excellent product, and Miwall quality I personally feel has slipped but I've never heard of them actively being unsafe, more like the occasional flipped primer - which implies there's not a lot of quality control going on these days if nobody is looking at the rounds even enough to catch something external like that.

Then there's this tier below that includes Redline which is better than "just some guy" and not as good as the top tier. Looks like they sell at two gunshows a month, no direct ordering, probably they have three employees. Googling them they seem to have been around for a couple of years and I found two complaint threads and one I love it thread from somebody with just a couple of posts. Hmm. It's supposed to be really dirty (enough to cause functioning problems after not that many rounds) but doesn't sound like it's killed anybody yet.

Personally I wouldn't have bought it. It's hard to sell reloads as you might imagine so maybe I'd go buy something from the tier up and maybe save that for a last resort.
Old 01-27-2014, 8:30 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljay View Post
I trust a couple of the larger "factory reload" companies. Freedom Munitions makes an excellent product, and Miwall quality I personally feel has slipped but I've never heard of them actively being unsafe, more like the occasional flipped primer - which implies there's not a lot of quality control going on these days if nobody is looking at the rounds even enough to catch something external like that.

Then there's this tier below that includes Redline which is better than "just some guy" and not as good as the top tier. Looks like they sell at two gunshows a month, no direct ordering, probably they have three employees. Googling them they seem to have been around for a couple of years and I found two complaint threads and one I love it thread from somebody with just a couple of posts. Hmm. It's supposed to be really dirty (enough to cause functioning problems after not that many rounds) but doesn't sound like it's killed anybody yet.

Personally I wouldn't have bought it. It's hard to sell reloads as you might imagine so maybe I'd go buy something from the tier up and maybe save that for a last resort.
Thank you for the input, I will move this case to the "end of the world holy **** I need ammo" section
Old 01-28-2014, 11:17 AM

Most folks dont shoot reloads that werent loaded by themselves or someone they hold dear... and that might even be pushing it

That being said I've never had an issue with factory reloads from Miwall and such other top tier reloaders... then I got into reloading and I roll my own now.

I wouldnt worry about reloads as much as I'd worry about the guy sweeping the line with his pistol because he just picked up his first new gun.
kcbrown -- The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. Consider very carefully what that means for your oath to uphold the Constitution.
Old 01-28-2014, 1:36 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Thank you for the input, I will move this case to the "end of the world holy **** I need ammo" section
Actually, that may be the time when you are least likely to be able to avail yourself of medical care. You may want to shoot that stuff now before Obamacare takes over the world. Save the brass, and reload them yourself.

I don't think we even know that the guy was shooting reloads... do we? For all we know, the guy managed to cram a .45LC into his .44, or was shooting .357mag in a rusty cracked .38.

I do hope that the injury turned out to be minor and all is well.

Reloading Clubs: SF, East Bay

Case Status: Peña v. Cid (Handgun Roster). SF v. 44Mag (Mag Parts Kits). Bauer v. Harris (DROS Fees). Davis v. LA (CCW policy). Jackson v. SF (Ammo/Storage). Teixeira (FFL Zoning). First Unitarian v. NSA (Privacy). Silvester (Waiting Period). Schoepf (DROS Delay). Haynie (AW ban). SFVPOA v. SF (10+ mag possession ban). Bear in Public: Drake (3CA); Moore (7CA); Richards, Peruta, McKay (9CA).

Last edited by fizux; 01-28-2014 at 1:39 PM..
Old 01-28-2014, 8:39 PM

The only injuries to other shooters was being peppered with bits of metal and debris. Nothing serious from what the range guy said.
Old 01-28-2014, 9:47 PM
Calguns Addict

I had a 640 J frame do the same to me years ago. Only injury was being peppered with powder. Revolvers tend to go to the sides and up when they explode, luckaly. Never did find the top strap of that 640.
Old 01-28-2014, 9:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Every time I read a thread about exploading guns it is always a wheel gun, are wheel guns just crap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMO556 View Post
Voting for Donald Trump is the protest vote against: Keynesian economics, Neocon wars, exporting jobs, open borders, Washington criminal cartel, too big to fail banks and too big to jail pols and banksters.

Cutting off foreign aid to EVERY country and dismantling the police/surveillance state!

Umm yeah!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I think this thread needs a rest…..
Old 01-29-2014, 11:04 AM

I have seen many semi autos as well but they aren't as spectacular in photo's, just as dangerous though.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

That is because nothing moves in a revolver when fired. Semi pistols has a slide and spring etc that can absorbed some of the bad round exploding.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yugo View Post
Every time I read a thread about exploading guns it is always a wheel gun, are wheel guns just crap?
I think this is because a lot of the ammo is very similar and this can lead to loading the wrong type or power ammo.
Old 01-29-2014, 3:20 PM

I've seen squibs from factory new and factory reloads but never a kaboom. Seems like there are a lot more kabooms the last couple years though, i suppose from all the newer reloaders out there double charging or chambering another rd after a squib. Pretty ugly when it happens.

Al
Back to owning some of those "polymer" guns.

They see me rollin'
They hatin'
Old 02-09-2014, 12:13 PM

I shoot LAXRange 9mm reloads. I figure they're doing enough volume at the range that if there was an issue with it I would have heard about it by now
Old 02-09-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Oh man, I was there today too, not for that though.

You should be fine with redline reloads. I've used it for a few years in both 9mm and 40sw and I'm still alive. Its cheap and dirty, like I like my woman!

I hope the injured man has a speedy recovery!

Last edited by fuenstock; 02-09-2014 at 12:42 PM..
Old 02-10-2014, 1:06 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Only problems I've had with my revolvers is when using reloaded ammo from a 'reputable' reloading company. One squib left the bullet sticking out the muzzle like it was constipated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
5 guys, hot damn thats some good eat'n.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyromensch View Post
damn, i duped my own thread...first time i did a poll
Old 02-18-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Semi autos blow the magazine out and the grips off.