Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 07-16-2016, 4:48 PM

Thanks Cokebottle!
Old 07-18-2016, 3:04 AM

Question from a friend: He removed his magazine disconnect safety from his pistol. Will they allow him to still list it on his CCW?

Old 07-18-2016, 9:55 PM
Guitar: The Deplorables
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla Warfare View Post
Question from a friend: He removed his magazine disconnect safety from his pistol. Will they allow him to still list it on his CCW?
Exact words from my instructor in the classroom:
"Please do not disable any factory safeties"

But, on the range:
"We are looking for broken guns"

IOTW, it does not appear that it would be outright rejected, but it is not recommended for liability reasons.
A story was related of a prior class where one person had a "Punisher" rear plate on their Glock. After a short conversation, he decided to put the plain plate back on.
The county is indemnified, so it's no skin off their back if we use a modified gun or reloads, but it COULD open you up to problems in court, likely in the civil trial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 07-19-2016, 4:28 AM

I just wanted to post a full and detailed experience of my CCW interview and process since NO ONE has done so yet. I searched the forums over and over again before my interview looking for ANY advice that could help me. I do hope this puts some of you at ease before your appointment.

When you get inside the building your going to look to your left. Behind some glass doors is a counter with a clerk who you need to check in with. Just tell her you're here for a CCW interview. She will have you sign in and take a seat while you wait for the officer to call your name.
My interviewing officer was a young Hispanic guy. He called me inside and shook my hand while gesturing to a counter not 5 feet away from the desk where I signed in. He explained the process a little bit while I handed him all my paperwork and asked me why I wanted a CCW. Afterwords he looked up my application I first submitted online and turned the screen to face me. We went over all the information to make sure all was true and there was no errors. He read my good cause statement to himself quietly. Once he saw all my paperwork was in order he went over my statements of previous police contact. (The one attached to your residence history.) Next he handed me about 6 pages of paperwork to fill out, 2 of which was a very detailed questionnaire. On this questionnaire, you must answer yes or no. IF yes, you must write a detailed statement on the back of the sheet. Most the questions were general things that were already answered on your application like drug use, alcohol use etc. etc. HOWEVER, there are some other questions like, Have you ever lost your temper? So be careful. While I filled this stuff out he went and ran my background check. He came back and went over my questionnaire, asking a few questions pertaining to my answers as well as questions pertaining to my background check. Everything looked good, he sent me just outside to the right to do my fingerprinting. After fingerprinting was done, I was given a completion sheet which I took back to the receptionist inside the glass doors. She handed me a flyer for the range day as well as a sheet in which you write what guns you plan to bring with you to range day.

I don't know about any of your guys but I feel very confident about getting my CCW. He let slip that I would be getting my permit just before he left to run my background check, He told me to relax, and I would be getting my permit as long as my background comes back ok. I'm sure he could tell I was nervous.

Just make sure you have everything in order, you look professional, and you know a little about the process before walking in there. He was impressed that I knew how the process was supposed to work and that I had everything neat and in order.
Old 07-19-2016, 4:31 AM

Now what i'm wondering is what are the turn around times for most you peeps? How long did it take for your residence check?
And employer notification? I had no idea they sent a form to your work!!! Does anyone know whats on the form exactly?
I work at a very large corporation so im not sure how that form will be handled.
Old 07-19-2016, 7:50 AM

I had my interview on 7/12. My boss received the employer notification on 7/18.
Old 07-19-2016, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford1 View Post
Now what i'm wondering is what are the turn around times for most you peeps? How long did it take for your residence check?
And employer notification? I had no idea they sent a form to your work!!! Does anyone know whats on the form exactly?
I work at a very large corporation so im not sure how that form will be handled.
I followed about 10 peoples posted times when I was just applying and found the average time (August 2015 to Feb 2016) was 4.8 months from interview to card. Residence check was an average of 40 days. Backgrounds 79 days average. Now that they are plenty busy, I would expect longer times.

Contact your employer and let them know to expect a form. Tell them you applied for CCW and that you will not be carrying at work. I think the form was simply to verify employment. Being retired, I did not have to worry.

Nice idea, telling others what to expect and how the system works.
Good luck & best wishes,
Ron
Old 07-19-2016, 10:07 AM

applied 12/16/15
interview 3/25/15
residence check sometime early june

90 days has passed for me and 90 business days will be july 28th.

There are a few people with a timeline similar to mine that have their permit already.

So do I call or sit tight a bit longer?
Old 07-19-2016, 12:26 PM

My timeline is very similar. My interview was 3/18. I called in to check the livescan results and both state and FBI are still in process. I don't plan on calling the department until these are complete. I know the employment verification was completed and returned as well as neighborhood check was done a couple of weeks ago according to my neighbor.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Its a questionnaire I saw posted somewhere. I also work for a very large corporation. Standard employment verification is done through a third party. However the forms were sent to my local office and the site manger filled it out and returned it.

I attempted to provide them with employment verification (including income verification) form the third party but the investigator stated that would not fulfill the requirement and they had to mail something to the company. I was expecting it to go to corporate and be lost, but luckily it came to the address I listed where my office is.
Old 07-20-2016, 9:19 PM

Quote:
I just wanted to post a full and detailed experience of my CCW interview and process since NO ONE has done so yet. I searched the forums over and over again before my interview looking for ANY advice that could help me. I do hope this puts some of you at ease before your appointment.

When you get inside the building your going to look to your left. Behind some glass doors is a counter with a clerk who you need to check in with. Just tell her you're here for a CCW interview. She will have you sign in and take a seat while you wait for the officer to call your name.
My interviewing officer was a young Hispanic guy. He called me inside and shook my hand while gesturing to a counter not 5 feet away from the desk where I signed in. He explained the process a little bit while I handed him all my paperwork and asked me why I wanted a CCW. Afterwords he looked up my application I first submitted online and turned the screen to face me. We went over all the information to make sure all was true and there was no errors. He read my good cause statement to himself quietly. Once he saw all my paperwork was in order he went over my statements of previous police contact. (The one attached to your residence history.) Next he handed me about 6 pages of paperwork to fill out, 2 of which was a very detailed questionnaire. On this questionnaire, you must answer yes or no. IF yes, you must write a detailed statement on the back of the sheet. Most the questions were general things that were already answered on your application like drug use, alcohol use etc. etc. HOWEVER, there are some other questions like, Have you ever lost your temper? So be careful. While I filled this stuff out he went and ran my background check. He came back and went over my questionnaire, asking a few questions pertaining to my answers as well as questions pertaining to my background check. Everything looked good, he sent me just outside to the right to do my fingerprinting. After fingerprinting was done, I was given a completion sheet which I took back to the receptionist inside the glass doors. She handed me a flyer for the range day as well as a sheet in which you write what guns you plan to bring with you to range day.

I don't know about any of your guys but I feel very confident about getting my CCW. He let slip that I would be getting my permit just before he left to run my background check, He told me to relax, and I would be getting my permit as long as my background comes back ok. I'm sure he could tell I was nervous.

Just make sure you have everything in order, you look professional, and you know a little about the process before walking in there. He was impressed that I knew how the process was supposed to work and that I had everything neat and in order.
Mine was exactly the same. A very cool dep named Diaz. Very cordial and efficient. After what I would call initial intake where he went over my app, all my docs and took the money orders, he sent me out to sign in for the livescan then back in to complete the 4 forms. He reviewed the questionnaire answers and said "works for me". I went to Livescan and waited less than 10 minutes. There were a few minor issues with it that another clerk handled quickly and that was it. Back to drop off the LS copy and out the door.
1 hour and 15 minutes total.
He barely glanced at my good cause statement. Just kinda acknowledged it and went through the rest of my app.
I'm fully confident of my background.
Old 07-22-2016, 8:12 AM

A coworker who has a San Bernardino CCW says he recieved a letter from the DOJ that says with recent court rulings his CCW is no longer valid. Has anyone else heard of this?

Edit:
It appears from further conversation his letter said his permit was revoked because his good cause statement was he used to be a reserve officer or something like that.

Last edited by Creasybear; 07-22-2016 at 9:20 AM..
Old 07-22-2016, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creasybear View Post
A coworker who has a San Bernardino CCW says he recieved a letter from the DOJ that says with recent court rulings his CCW is no longer valid. Has anyone else heard of this?

Edit:
It appears from further conversation his letter said his permit was revoked because his good cause statement was he used to be a reserve officer or something like that.
Still makes no sense, and that you already have two completely different stories confirms that you are being fed BS.

The DOJ would not revoke, SBSD would, and that does not sound like a legitimate reason for revokation, particularly with the county's current policies.
The recent court rulings had ZERO impact on an IA that issues freely. The recent court rulings ALLOW a restrictive or outright prohibitive county to return to their original policies.

More likely he was popped for something, or something in his background was discovered, and he's trying to safe face.

Quote:
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 07-22-2016, 7:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Still makes no sense, and that you already have two completely different stories confirms that you are being fed BS.

The DOJ would not revoke, SBSD would, and that does not sound like a legitimate reason for revokation, particularly with the county's current policies.
The recent court rulings had ZERO impact on an IA that issues freely. The recent court rulings ALLOW a restrictive or outright prohibitive county to return to their original policies.

More likely he was popped for something, or something in his background was discovered, and he's trying to safe face.
If your "friend" ever had a LTC, why did you not ask him to see it when you requested a redacted copy of the local permit in an earlier post?

Quote:
Does anyone have a redacted picture of a San Bernardino county CCW?
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...hp?p=18364727&
postcount=2897

Sounds like someone is feeding someone a lot of BS...
Old 07-22-2016, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockN'Roll View Post
If your "friend" ever had a LTC, why did you not ask him to see it when you requested a redacted copy of the local permit in an earlier post?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...hp?p=18364727&
postcount=2897

Sounds like someone is feeding someone a lot of BS...
Well I never said he was a friend. I said he was a coworker. I have a feeling he didn't even have a CCW. Something is definitely fishy.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Well I never said he was a friend. I said he was a coworker. I have a feeling he didn't even have a CCW.

Something is definitely fishy.
This
Old 07-24-2016, 10:52 AM

Ok.. My range qualification is tomorrow in devore. I made sure to go out to the range and set up targets at 5 yards to make sure I could still shoot.. I also got to shoot my ar15 for the first time and cycled a few rounds through a Mossberg 500 I've had for a couple months and hadn't gotten to shoot until now. Wish me luck on the qualification.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Proud Member of:
Old 07-24-2016, 10:59 AM

For those wanting timelines here is what mine looks like...
Submitted application 1/13/2016
Interview 3/18/2016
Neighborhood and background check (not sure how long this took)
Range qualification is tomorrow 7/25/2016...

Proud Member of:
Old 07-24-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poriggity View Post
Interview 3/18/2016

Our interview was on the same day and I haven't even been called to set a range date. That Sucks!
Old 07-24-2016, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtim View Post
Our interview was on the same day and I haven't even been called to set a range date. That Sucks!
My father in law had his interview about 3 weeks before mine, and he just got called Friday to set his range date for Aug 13th... No rhyme or reason to it.. I think I just got lucky.

Proud Member of:
Old 07-25-2016, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtim View Post
Don't feel bad, I applied a month before him, interviewed after him and still no range date
Old 07-25-2016, 4:52 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
...HOWEVER, there are some other questions like, Have you ever lost your temper? So be careful. ...
Wow, so how do we answer that one Rusty?

And do I win some kind of prize for post #3000 on the Berdoo CCW thread? My interview (which we scheduled way back in January) is Sept 7th so I'm starting to get my ducks in a row.

Just to make sure I am clear on this, we no longer need references?

Last edited by ACfixer; 07-25-2016 at 4:57 PM..
Old 07-25-2016, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
And do I win some kind of prize for post #3000 on the Berdoo CCW thread? My interview (which we scheduled way back in January) is Sept 7th so I'm starting to get my ducks in a row.
Careful before I go back and delete one from a year ago and steal your 3000

Quote:
Just to make sure I am clear on this, we no longer need references?
Correct.

They still conduct the neighborhood check and send a letter to your employer asking about your character.
Seems that many delays have been due to that letter.

But the written and telephone references are no longer required.

Quote:
Old 07-26-2016, 7:41 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Careful before I go back and delete one from a year ago and steal your 3000

They still conduct the neighborhood check and send a letter to your employer asking about your character.
Seems that many delays have been due to that letter.

But the written and telephone references are no longer required.
No stealing, bad moral character!

I'm self employed, so as much of a horse's hind end as my boss is, he's a big 2nd amendment guy. As far as Carrie's boss goes, well he is the one that talked her into applying for the CCW so I think we're all good there.

I'm not sure what they're looking for in a neighborhood check, but I assume violence and fighting etc. with the SO? Never anything like that and I've spent 16 years cultivating great relationships with my neighbors so hopefully all clear there too.
Old 07-27-2016, 7:33 PM

12/9/15: original application date
12/11/15: got an email saying they received the application, but I need to redo it with the online version on 12/14.
12/14/15: applied again, this time online - might have been the first person to do it, but definitely the first date that this was available. Got an interview date of 4/28
4/28/16: Did the interview - no probs. Very smooth. Wondering now, though, how so many people apped after me and interviewed before.
5/5/16: My HR peep let me know that she got the letter and promptly replied. Luckily, by boss is very pro-gun and pro-ccw (in fact half the folks at corp carry, even at work), so no prob.
5/25/16: Son and neighbors indicated that a sheriff's deputy had paid a visit to the neighborhood asking about me in relation to the CCW permit.
7/27/16: Celebrated my wife's 50th birthday, and still waiting on word. Wondering if I should call tomorrow. Would be nice to get a range date before my 50th next Thursday.

Tomorrow will be exactly 3 months since the interview. Should I call or sit on my hands?

Last edited by garycolwill; 07-27-2016 at 7:38 PM..
Old 07-27-2016, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garycolwill View Post
Tomorrow will be exactly 3 months since the interview. Should I call or sit on my hands?
They've been swamped.
I'd give it another week or two before calling, but chances are you're approved and your app is just being circulated for signatures.
That was the deal with mine just before Thanksgiving... I got the call Dec 1.

Quote:
Old 07-27-2016, 9:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Good job all of you.

Keep them swamped by encouraging others to apply.

The more good guys with guns the better all around.

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 07-28-2016, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Interview 3/18/2016

Update.. Got a call from the sheriffs dept today that my permit is ready for pickup. I'll be picking it up in the morning ...

Proud Member of:
Old 07-28-2016, 6:47 PM

Congrats!

Carry safe and carry always.

Quote:
Old 07-29-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Congrats!

Carry safe and carry always.
Thank you sir. Swung by the sheriffs dept this morning. Paid them the remainder of my balance and picked up my permit. I'm now a legal carrier of a concealed firearm..

Proud Member of:
Old 07-29-2016, 12:42 PM

Congrats!
Old 07-29-2016, 12:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thank you sir. Swung by the sheriffs dept this morning. Paid them the remainder of my balance and picked up my permit.

I'm now a legal carrier of a concealed firearm..

Congrats!

Be safe...
Old 07-30-2016, 9:15 AM

So here's a question on legalities. I picked up my permit yesterday. The dates on it say that it's good from 8/1/2016 to 8/1/2018. Should I wait until 8/1 to start carrying, or am I within my legal right to start carrying now?

Proud Member of:
Old 07-30-2016, 9:34 AM

Do not carry until the permit is valid. Wait for 8/1.
Old 07-30-2016, 9:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron91710 View Post
Do not carry until the permit is valid. Wait for 8/1.
That's my thoughts too.. Just to be safe... You can bet I'll be strapping it on Monday morning though..

Proud Member of:
Old 07-30-2016, 10:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs up Wear your rig around the house this weekend...

Quote:

That's my thoughts too..

Just to be safe...

You can bet I'll be strapping it on Monday morning though..

Wear your rig around the house this weekend.

This will give you a chance to accustom yourself to your carry method and tweak the location if necessary.

Until you have carried all day, your ideas of how and where to carry are driven more by fashion and less by function.

Try watching TV to see how your carry method works sitting down, standing up, bending over, reaching, etc...

This will make your Monday carry less stressful and make you more relaxed in public.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:

This will give you a chance to accustom yourself to your carry method and tweak the location if necessary.

Until you have carried all day, your ideas of how and where to carry are driven more by fashion and less by function.

Try watching TV to see how your carry method works sitting down, standing up, bending over, reaching, etc...

This will make your Monday carry less stressful and make you more relaxed in public.
Great idea.. As soon as I'm done with work you can bet I'll step it on and go for it. Good stuff. Thank you.

Proud Member of:
Old 07-30-2016, 3:02 PM

Default Getting used to carrying

Quote:

OMG! Excellent advice on Calguns...Who would have thunk it?
Old 07-30-2016, 4:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertWalker View Post

OMG!

Excellent advice on Calguns...

Who would have thunk it?
Mark it on your calendar,

it may be a long time til you say that again...

Old 08-01-2016, 12:07 PM

Applied 12/4/15 interviewed 3/23/16 range day 7/23/16 No call to pick up permit yet.