Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions > CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting) This forum is for storing and or easy accessing useful or important threads.

Old 06-29-2009, 9:10 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro442173 View Post
This made me change my mind on opencarry. I used to think that loaded mags (uniserted) were deemed "loaded"... that's what I was told anyways.

But since it sounds like I can open carry with uniserted loaded mags, then hey I can dig it.
Please be careful about this.

The reason so many are told these fairy tales is that is how many LEO have been (mis-)trained. (Or, to be charitable, not re-trained since Clark in 1996.)

You can easily be correct, and still be arrested, even prosecuted.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 06-29-2009 at 9:13 AM..
Old 07-09-2009, 1:04 PM
Steve O

Lib.

Can you help me out here.

I was in conversation with a friend about what is considered loaded, and I quoted the Clark case law as I learned it form this thread. However when I do a Google search for CA PC 12031 i see section (g) as:

"(g) A firearm shall be deemed to be loaded for the purposes of
this section when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell,
consisting of a case that holds a charge of powder and a bullet or
shot, in, or attached in any manner to, the firearm, including, but
not limited to, in the firing chamber, magazine, or clip thereof
attached to the firearm; except that a muzzle-loader firearm shall be
deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed and has a powder
charge and ball or shot in the barrel or cylinder."

Is this failure of websites to update the PC?
This could be responsible for a lot of misunderstandings!
Old 07-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Administrator

No. That is the PC as it exists today, and as it was in 1996. The general way laws are interpreted is first the PC, and then case law, where the PC is enhanced, extended or explained by judicial application of the PC.

In this case, generally Clark has redefined 'loaded' from what the 'black letter' of 12031(g) says to the quoted version from the judge.

We have a similar situation regarding 'assault weapons'; the law at 12276 talks about 'AR-series' weapons, while the Harrot v County of Kings decision voids that language and replaces it.

The PC is not then amended to match the judicial ruling; that would take an explicit change by the Legislature, which they have not made.

If you look at hard-copy publications of PC, for example "West's", available in the reference section of some public libraries, there will be supplements to the text of the laws in 'pockets' inside the back covers of the volumes. Often these refer the reader to case law which modifies the meaning of some of the laws in application.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Old 07-10-2009, 1:07 AM
Steve O

So does LEO receive a updated PC book with the Clark case law enhancement as a foot note? How does LEO make an on the spot decision when it comes to case law enhancement?
Old 07-10-2009, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
So does LEO receive a updated PC book with the Clark case law enhancement as a foot note? How does LEO make an on the spot decision when it comes to case law enhancement?
Every year we had required training on the new laws and pertinent decisions that applied to LE : new sections in the penal ,health & safety ,welfare & institutions ,california vehicle ,etc., codes we needed to be aware of to perform our jobs.The know nothing know it all criminals who interpreted everything to their advantage got some real shocks every year with the new codified laws and decisions.Many would come in for an interview telling me we didn't have a case ,that it should be dismissed until I read the new code and decisions to the perps.Many learned their bod was grass and the judge was the lawnmower.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Administrator

The training officers receive can be spotty. See the linked documents at http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...ning_Materials

Had officers regularly been trained in the results of Clark since 1996, these extra training documents would be merely reminders; instead, they read as revelations.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 09-19-2009, 6:18 PM

Old 10-13-2009, 11:10 PM

I really love the painterly feel your digital coloring has. Also, I love all of the design work you've had on this thread. Keep on going!
Old 10-17-2009, 11:43 AM

Default Transporting guns in a SUV in CA

What are the rules for legally transporting guns in a SUV or pickup truck which does not have a separate truck to lock things in?

(1) For example, you have guns in a closed cloth case (zipper closed but unlocked) and the ammo is stored separately in closed metal box (unlocked) in the back area.

(2) Same as #1 but the guns are on the front passenger seat or in the front foot rest area

(3) Same as #1 but the ammo is an open case.

(4) Same as #1 but stored under the seat.

In these examples, are the guns somehow considered "Loaded" ?

From reading this thread, it seems there are no consistent rules or rather the existing rules seem to get constantly redefined. It seems like the answer depends more on the interpretation or misinterpretation by LEO, judges, congressmen or lawyers.

Assume the guns no trigger locks and have no bullets in the chamber, tube or inserted magazines. Also assume you are not near a school or government office.

First Post
Old 10-17-2009, 4:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSystems View Post
What are the rules for legally transporting guns in a SUV or pickup truck which does not have a separate truck to lock things in?

(1) For example, you have guns in a closed cloth case (zipper closed but unlocked) and the ammo is stored separately in closed metal box (unlocked) in the back area.

(2) Same as #1 but the guns are on the front passenger seat or in the front foot rest area

(3) Same as #1 but the ammo is an open case.

(4) Same as #1 but stored under the seat.

In these examples, are the guns somehow considered "Loaded" ?

From reading this thread, it seems there are no consistent rules or rather the existing rules seem to get constantly redefined. It seems like the answer depends more on the interpretation or misinterpretation by LEO, judges, congressmen or lawyers.

Assume the guns no trigger locks and have no bullets in the chamber, tube or inserted magazines. Also assume you are not near a school or government office.

First Post
Wrong thread - this is about loaded, not transport, but anyway ...

How do I legally transport a HANDGUN?

How do I legally transport a LONG GUN?

How do I legally transport AMMUNITION?

Short answer: handguns in a completely enclosed locked case; such case can be wherever is convenient. Long guns wherever you like.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 02-09-2010, 9:39 PM

Default "unconventional method"

The court therefore appears to be suggesting that there could be an "unconventional method" of loading a gun. I would suggest that this makes sense when a firearm that commonly requires a magazine; yet being loaded with a single round via an open chamber (without a magazine inserted in the receiver). This goes to clarify that a "loaded" firearm will include a round chambered or not as long as it is "ready to be fired" i.e. loaded magazine "inserted in the receiver" (or better said, "where a round is ready to be chambered"), and or a single round "in the chamber".

More simply put, loaded is in reference to a "bullet", not magazine. An empty chamber with a magazine inserted without any bullets is not loaded. It's only when the magazine has a bullet that it is considered "attached", and only then when it is inserted into the receiver.

This also supports why the court deemed anything other than the above as NOT loaded. So the "attached" appears to be in reference to "a magazine inserted into the receiver". See below...

"loaded for the purposes of this section when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell, consisting of a case that holds a charge of powder and a bullet or shot, in, or attached in any manner to, the firearm, including, but not limited to, in the firing chamber, magazine, or clip thereof attached to the firearm"

Last edited by jdicesare; 02-09-2010 at 10:41 PM..
Old 04-07-2010, 9:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Link to the what is loaded pamphlet no longer works. Anyone have a link that does?
My gut is good for two things, making poo and spotting crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Do not get your legal advice from Forest Rangers or Sheriffs: that's like getting medical advice from your plumber.
Old 06-27-2010, 9:45 PM

btt
Old 06-29-2010, 9:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier415 View Post
Link to the what is loaded pamphlet no longer works. Anyone have a link that does?
Attached is the file that was linked. OCDO moved to a different forum, so most of the links are now invalid.
Attached Files
File Type: doc IS_IT_LOADED2.doc (73.0 KB, 153 views)

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Banned

What is loaded in CA?

...usually the legislature...
Old 07-01-2010, 2:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoligny View Post
Attached is the file that was linked. OCDO moved to a different forum, so most of the links are now invalid.
Thanks!
My gut is good for two things, making poo and spotting crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Do not get your legal advice from Forest Rangers or Sheriffs: that's like getting medical advice from your plumber.