Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

View Poll Results: What are your feelings about Front Sight?
Great Training for Beginners Only. 82 8.41%
Great Training Beginner and Advanced. 657 67.38%
The Quality of Training is Going Down Hill. 22 2.26%
I paid too much for my Membership! 45 4.62%
They will go out of business this year! 23 2.36%
Don't want anything to do with them! 146 14.97%
Voters: 975. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan301 View Post
I started out with a Diamond membership, then upgraded.

How about Ambassador memberships?

Also came with access to F.S. Alaska.
I must have missed that in the list. I also started as Ambassador, then Guardian, then Heritage. I added President 3 but still show as Heritage in my membership. I will revert to President 3 when I decline the actual condo purchase. But I will also then get back the sh*tload of memberships, certs and other stuff I traded in for the Heritage. That should be fun....
Old 04-12-2020, 12:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

This is the genius or insanity of Dr. P's scheme: Once you start, the only way to move up is to buy from him. All of my Diamond memberships were upgraded to Commander a while back. I thought, "Great, I will help friends who are currently Diamond upgrade to Commander." Nope. No Go.

And that chapped my hide.

And, I totally understand why he does it that way. But it still chaps my hide...

Katie
Old 04-12-2020, 1:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

His TBD memberships creates a free sales force for new members. All upgrades to members go through Front Sight with rare exception.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:47 AM

looking at Dr. P's latest offer and want to do something to help out the staff but he's giving people Patriot memberships? those are pretty worthless, aren't they? (I haven't played the upgrade game in quite a few years)
Old 04-15-2020, 1:14 PM
Veteran Member

They are very low level but do have some trade in value later on.
Old 04-15-2020, 5:28 PM

I think it is a curse if you want to move on to the skill builders or advanced classes. No Marksmanship class either.
Old 04-16-2020, 4:33 PM

I read Front Sight is re-opening? Can anyone verify?
Old 04-16-2020, 4:37 PM
Veteran Member

They are planned to reopen on 5/1. That is if they 10 or more people gathered is listed and the 14 day quarantine is lifted for out of state travelers.
I received this in an email today. I sure hop it is listed as I am looking forward to my class and have rooms and ammo already arranged.
Old 04-16-2020, 7:40 PM

Patriot is pretty useless...

Quote:
Here's What You Get With the Patriot Front Sight Membership:
Attend the following Front Sight Nevada courses free of charge and as often as you wish and as many times as you wish:
Two Day Defensive Handgun; Two Day Tactical Shotgun; Two Day Practical Rifle; Four Day Defensive Handgun; Four Day Tactical Shotgun; Four Day Practical Rifle.

Old 04-16-2020, 8:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon1272 View Post
They are planned to reopen on 5/1. That is if they 10 or more people gathered is listed and the 14 day quarantine is lifted for out of state travelers.
I received this in an email today. I sure hop it is listed as I am looking forward to my class and have rooms and ammo already arranged.
The MyFrontSight.com site _seems_ to be accepting enrollment for classes starting 1 May...

Katie
Old 04-16-2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoWrench View Post
Crap. I didn’t even look at the details of the membership. I just gave one to a friend. How would he upgrade now without having to buy the next “greatest exchange of abundance” offer?
Old 04-17-2020, 5:15 AM

Quote:
I have a Commander membership, but I'd hardly say the patriot membership is "pretty useless". Mod people aren't going out the FS frequent enough (read again that I typed 'most" and not everyone), and maybe once a year or so. There are plenty of classes to take with a Patriot membership to keep the average Joe (myself included) for quite a while and you'll absolutely get your money's worth out of it.

Also, you can take the same class more than once, and several people that were in my 4-day defensive handgun class in March had done just that. One guy had taken something like 60 classes at FS and he was in the 4-day defensive handgun class. My point is you learn something new every time, and those that had taken the class before weren't whining or complaining and seemed to really be enjoying themselves as much as us newbies. Add to that you have to pass the class with a grade of Distinguished Graduate in order to even qualify for the more advanced classes. This means you may have to take the basic classes more than once anyway.

Even at a couple hundred bucks, and the limited classes the Patriot membership offers, you're still getting your money's worth if you go to there once a year for a few years.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 04-17-2020 at 5:18 AM..
Old 04-17-2020, 6:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Patriot Memberships don’t allow the skill builder 2 day classes. That’s the biggest downside.

Those intensive 2 day skill builders are some of the best classes at FS for intensive training.
Old 04-17-2020, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15fan View Post
Patriot Memberships don’t allow the skill builder 2 day classes. That’s the biggest downside.

Those intensive 2 day skill builders are some of the best classes at FS for intensive training.
they are also the best way to get DG if you only get a G in the 4 day.
Old 04-17-2020, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen_B View Post
Crap. I didn’t even look at the details of the membership. I just gave one to a friend. How would he upgrade now without having to buy the next “greatest exchange of abundance” offer?

Call frontsight. If you tell them that you sent the “wrong” membership, they’ll sometimes switch it for you. I accidentally sent my mom a patriot membership instead of a commander like I had intended. They reversed the transfer and even sent the commander membership for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2020, 7:33 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15fan View Post

For the price that you can get Commander memberships for, IMHO, it's not even worth getting a free lower membership like Patriot. I consider it a disservice when folks give away these lower membership as it only brings headaches and cost more $ in the long run.
Old 04-17-2020, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz View Post
I have a Commander membership, but I'd hardly say the patriot membership is "pretty useless". Mod people aren't going out the FS frequent enough (read again that I typed 'most" and not everyone), and maybe once a year or so. There are plenty of classes to take with a Patriot membership to keep the average Joe (myself included) for quite a while and you'll absolutely get your money's worth out of it.

Also, you can take the same class more than once, and several people that were in my 4-day defensive handgun class in March had done just that. One guy had taken something like 60 classes at FS and he was in the 4-day defensive handgun class. My point is you learn something new every time, and those that had taken the class before weren't whining or complaining and seemed to really be enjoying themselves as much as us newbies. Add to that you have to pass the class with a grade of Distinguished Graduate in order to even qualify for the more advanced classes. This means you may have to take the basic classes more than once anyway.

Even at a couple hundred bucks, and the limited classes the Patriot membership offers, you're still getting your money's worth if you go to there once a year for a few years.

I know you're new to F.S. and I think you mis-understood me.
I am 100% a big fan of F.S. and I've taken many classes. The problem is I, myself, gave Patriot memberships to some friends that got hooked. Then, I come to find out that they can't take any advanced classes or, any other classes. I didn't know how restrictive the Patriot was.

Then, add to that the fact that once you send a membership to a new person, they are stuck at that level unless they upgrade ($$) through F.S. directly. Which, these days, is pretty seldom.

So, all I'm saying is, if you're gonna get a F.S. membership, you better get the best you can which would be Diamond or, above. There are a metric ton of us members out here with an infinite metric ton of super awesome memberships for sale for super cheap.

Old 04-17-2020, 7:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I am 100% a big fan of F.S. and I've taken many classes. The problem is I, myself, gave Patriot memberships to some friends that got hooked. Then, I come to find out that they can't take any advanced classes or, any other classes. I didn't know how restrictive the Patriot was.

Then, add to that the fact that once you send a membership to a new person, they are stuck at that level unless they upgrade ($$) through F.S. directly. Which, these days, is pretty seldom.

So, all I'm saying is, if you're gonna get a F.S. membership, you better get the best you can which would be Diamond or, above. There are a metric ton of us members out here with an infinite metric ton of super awesome memberships for sale for super cheap.

Exactly!
Old 04-18-2020, 5:29 AM

Diamond was the best bang for the bucks. Really cheap money and I've been out there 7 times. Wish they were closer - I would be there a lot more.
Old 04-18-2020, 5:33 AM

Quote:

That makes more sense. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 04-18-2020, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1834 View Post
Diamond was the best bang for the bucks. Really cheap money and I've been out there 7 times. Wish they were closer - I would be there a lot more.
What's better? Diamond or Commander?
Old 04-18-2020, 6:39 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz View Post
What's better? Diamond or Commander?
Commander is better/newer. There are different "flavors" of Diamonds but basically, Commander gives you Ammo Discount, Guns at Cost Discount, and access to all Front Sight locations (Alaska) and future locations.

A lot of folks say they don't need the ammo discount because they can get it cheaper off-site but then they: run out of ammo during class, leave their ammo in their hotel room or buddies car, break their gun and have to rent a handgun and then need to buy ammo, etc. Seen it happen too many times.
Old 04-18-2020, 11:25 AM

The ammo discount only matters if you need ammo while you are there. It is way too expensive otherwise. Additionally, they will not ship to CA even if you have an FFL 03 and COE. The guns at cost discount is just about as bad. While you can find a good price with FS via this discount, it is only for roster guns and the cost of shipping and transfer fees (depending on the chosen FFL) eat up the discount. However with all things FS, YMMV.
Old 04-18-2020, 1:05 PM

The only way I know to upgrade is to pay FS $500 to upgrade or, what I did for my nephew who I had given a Legacy membership years ago then found out he couldn’t take the ccw course with it. He cancelled his membership and I transferred him a Commander. FS will not allow members to upgrade each other.
Old 04-18-2020, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBay Shooter View Post
The ammo discount only matters if you need ammo while you are there. It is way too expensive otherwise. Additionally, they will not ship to CA even if you have an FFL 03 and COE. The guns at cost discount is just about as bad. While you can find a good price with FS via this discount, it is only for roster guns and the cost of shipping and transfer fees (depending on the chosen FFL) eat up the discount. However with all things FS, YMMV.
For what I got my Commander membership for I think the perks that come with it are darn good, even if I cant take advantage of all of them. I brought my own ammo last time, but the option to get the member discount if I ever needed any because I left my ammo in the hotel, ran out of ammo, got stolen, etc. is a nice perk. I have no desire to buy any firearms for them, so that's a moot point.
Old 04-19-2020, 3:56 PM

It's been a while (too long, but life gets in the way) since I've been to FS. Please refresh my memory.... don't they have some kind of class that focuses solely on the US Constitution?
Old 04-19-2020, 9:03 PM
Veteran Member

Yes they do. Not put on by front sight but by another person.
Old 04-19-2020, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Yes they do. Not put on by front sight but by another person.
How does one sign up for the course? When/where are they held?
Old 04-19-2020, 10:57 PM

Class taught by Rick Green.
Old 04-20-2020, 2:40 AM
Veteran Member

Rick green sight. May have to go through my front sight.com.
https://store.patriotacademy.com/con...nse75discount/
Old 04-20-2020, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Rick green sight. May have to go through my front sight.com.
https://store.patriotacademy.com/con...nse75discount/
Quote:
You can also join Rick LIVE at Front Sight for a crash course on the Constitution during your next trip to train at Front Sight. Rick does the Constitution Crash Course once a month at Front Sight. The class is held in the evenings after your regular training on the range. Both a hot BBQ plate and the class workbook are available for purchase.
Upcoming 2020 Dates include:
March 19-21
May 17-19
Hmm.... maybe I should take my AK to 2-day practical rifle...
Old 04-21-2020, 7:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
Hmm.... maybe I should take my AK to 2-day practical rifle...
Anything specific about Rick Green and AKs?

I’ve been using an AK for all my rifle classes until Rifle Marksmanship. Yes, I needed a crutch to pass that class

On another note... Wonder if it’s still a good idea to take Empty Hand Combat with this Coronavirus around? Wish I can get my Wuhan antibody tested...

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 04-21-2020, 8:06 AM

Default Member

Membership Type: Diamond
Membership Date: July 2018
Courses Taken: None yet
Next Course: TBD
Comments: I'm finally in a position to go and COVID 19 puts a stop to it. I'll be looking for a nearby RV park when I do go.
Old 04-21-2020, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben045 View Post
I'll be looking for a nearby RV park when I do go.
https://wineridgervresort.com/

VERY F.S. friendly. In fact, you get a discount.

Old 04-22-2020, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Well just received notice that my May 1st shotgun class was canceled. Was expecting it as the Nevada Gov has been non specific about opening the state and lifting assembly of groups over 10 and allowing out of state visitors not having to quarantine for 14 days.
Irrespective of the order I was looking forward to this class. Now I have a bit more time to get things tied up on my shotgun such as the carrier lengthening. I’ll look to schedule a personal trading over the summer and hit it hard this fall.
Old 04-23-2020, 8:50 AM

Sounds like they should be back up and running by May 16th.
Wonder if they'll have new social distancing in place, smaller class sizes etc. Not sure what the NV guidelines are or will be.
Old 04-23-2020, 3:09 PM

What about lodging? I tried to get a reservation at SW for October. They could not book it.

Front Sight Commander member.
NRA Life Member
Old 04-25-2020, 3:54 PM

Curious. Is there a rule stating where your holster has to be located on your belt? I ask because I’ve carried AIWB for quite some time. Would it be possible to place the OWB holster at an appendix carry position?

Front Sight Commander member.
NRA Life Member
Old 04-25-2020, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad4mnc View Post
Curious. Is there a rule stating where your holster has to be located on your belt? I ask because I’ve carried AIWB for quite some time. Would it be possible to place the OWB holster at an appendix carry position?

Best thing to do would be call them and ask, but they are pretty strict about the types of holsters they require, the maximum amount of cant the holster can have, where it can be worn, etc.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 04-25-2020 at 6:05 PM..
Old 04-25-2020, 4:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I think AIWB is not allowed. I’ve never seen it.

If you read their injury reports. You’ll see most all accidents occur when returning to the holster. They wouldn’t want that to happen with AIWB.

Only IWB I’ve seen was in a Skill Builder where guy had already DGed. It was at 4 O’clock position.