Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 04-05-2020, 11:08 AM

Default Teslong NTG100 Borescope & JB Bore Cleaning Compound

Executive Brief/TLDNR Version: I am now a believer!

With this excess time on my hands I thought I'd try both these products after reading up on them extensively. My impetus was recent tear-downs / DEEP cleanings / inspections on two pretty old inherited weapons: a 1910 Remington Arms RW No. 3 Target Grade (later Model 12s) .22 pump action with octagonal barrel and an Automatic Colt (Model 1902 Sporting) Calibre 38 Rimless Smokeless made in 1906.

I never had any prior interest in either product as I am just a regular, old school gun guy and just didn't see the need to get fancy tools or concoctions. My weapons seemed clean enough and I'd shot pretty well in some long range matches. So both arrived early yesterday, and I was pretty excited about the borescope. Set-up was easy with the reasonably clear instructions, and I checked a few of my more heavily use sidearms and rifles, along with the two oldies. Wow - the images are very clear and up-close (you can capture photos and videos directly to your PC or smartphone if you want to archive).

I used the JB after my extra attempts to clean "the uglys" out failed with my normal processes: patches, Hoppe's or Butches, bronze brush, etc. Note - I haven't tackled the oldies yet as I expect those will take considerably more time and I was looking to have easy initial success. Most cleaned up with one session of JB, a few were tougher and took another round.

Major Takeaways:
- both the Teslong NTG100 Borescope & JB Bore Cleaning Compound work as advertised, actually much better than I expected, and are great values
- I always thought my "good enough" cleaning was, well...good enough. Maybe it was, but most of my bores certainly were not truly clean (maybe 20% so far)
- Some bores, even on higher end pieces, look absolutely medieval under magnification when spotless; and some more value-range pieces were pretty smooth
- most crowns were the stuff nightmares are made of