Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:09 AM
Banned

Default Ways to harden your solar from EMP

After reading plenty on this it looks like we need a SIDACtor Protection Thyristors. It is an ultrafast surge protector that reacts in the billionths of a second (nano). Any other type reacts to slow and you get fried components.

It looks like the lines running in could also use transient voltage suppressors and transient surge protection.

They also suggest having a backup charge controller in a cage along with other components. A few diodes would come in handy if the panels survived and the diodes didnt.

I keep 2 charge controllers as backup and a 12v panel 100w just in case. Its a small investment but would be awesome to have if everything goes dark.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:53 PM

Why do think there's a chance for an EMP blast ? I only know of EMP from a nuclear blast & there's bigger problems if that happens. There are no effective ways to create a potent EMP.
Old 09-04-2016, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uparmor View Post
After reading plenty on this it looks like we need a SIDACtor Protection Thyristors. It is an ultrafast surge protector that reacts in the billionths of a second (nano).
You are chasing a bogus parameter. All protectors are fast enough. What can cause a protector to act slower?

Speed of an MOV can change significantly when measured where leads enter its body verses a same measurement made two inches down its leads. A relevant parameter here is impedance.

Protection is always about where hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly dissipate. And a path used to get there. Critical terms apply including low impedance (ie no sharp wire bends) and single point earth ground (ie equipotential). Since earth ground (not a protector) does protection. Then hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly dissipate outside.

Concepts are over 100 years old. Franklin demonstrated it in 1752 with lightning rods. Again, does a rod provide protection? Of course not. It is only a connecting device to what absorbs hundreds of thousands of joules - earth ground. Does a protector do protection? Or course not. It is only a connecting device to what absorbs hundreds of thousands of joules. A protector (like a lightning rod) is only as effective as its earth ground. That applies even to avalanche diodes.
Old 09-04-2016, 2:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Solar flares wiped out the telegraph system.....

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 09-04-2016, 3:09 PM

"Solar flares wiped out the telegraph system..... "

"These statistics suggest that Carrington flares are once in a half-millennium events"

Yea, real important to guard against a once in 5 lifetime event.
Old 09-04-2016, 3:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguns44 View Post

"These statistics suggest that Carrington flares are once in a half-millennium events"

Were the telegraph lines fused?
Old 09-04-2016, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
Were the telegraph lines fused?
Fuses do not do protection. Fuses trip after damage occurs to avert fire.

Telegraph wires did not have earthed protection that has since been standard for well over 100 years.
Old 09-05-2016, 5:00 AM
Calguns Addict

You probably know this OP, but If I recall correctly, a long time ago the spooks came up with a spec called Tempest. It was a project that addressed EMP hardening, The army published a bunch of guidelines for how to implement Tempest hardened facilities. A lot of that stuff is probably now in the public domain, maybe searching for some of that info will give you places to look.

I was not directly involved with anything to do with Tempest, but if I remember correctly, it was more about shielding than anything active. The science probably has progressed quite a bit since then, it was like 30 years ago.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:26 AM

Best thing to do would be bury it about 20 feet in a bomb shelter. Any EMP big enough to effect your solar panels will be caused by a nuke and just about everything else won't matter.

We have just come thru the most and powerful solar flares in the last 50 years and the lights didn't even flicker.

Best to worry about something that "Might" happen other than something that never will.
Old 09-06-2016, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguns44 View Post

I don't blame the OP for spending a little time protecting his possible energy source, when you consider the consequences of not being prepared.

There is a 12% chance of a disruptive solar event by 2022.
http://www.wired.com/2012/02/massive-solar-flare/

And we just missed getting blasted
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news...ul_superstorm/

However, another concern is protecting himself from those that did nothing to prepare.

Interesting book on the whole subject by Ted Koppel, "Lights Out"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UQERM4C...ng=UTF8&btkr=1
Originally Posted by VictorFranko View Post
At this point in my life, I have no idea WTF I was thinking at that point in my life