Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 10-14-2012, 6:35 PM

Default Most embarrasing range stories!

Was out at Yolo today. Hit the 25 yard line with family. Shooters to the left of me were shooting 308 ARs and such. Broke out the SLR95, and shot for awhile (25 yards is kinda silly for an AK, but at least I hit bullseye ). Shooter to the left asked what kind of AK. Talked a little, he asked to shoot it. Said "Sure". He fired a couple, then returned it to me after removing the mag. I tried to clear the chamber, but couldn't...started muttering "Did my extractor break???" He then took the safety off. Felt like a dolt.
Old 10-14-2012, 8:19 PM

At least you were being safe
Old 10-14-2012, 10:26 PM
Calguns Addict

I chambered a 9mm round into my .45 1911, watched the whole round fall out the muzzle. Heard all my friends laughing in the background.

Shot the recoil spring plug out of the front of my gun when I chambered my 1911 once after reassembling it in the desert. Had to call cease fire to look for my recoil spring plug.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:38 PM

I'm a noob, so i do embarrassing stuff all the time. Here's my favorite. At one desert session, after a long stretch of shooting a pump shotgun and a bolt action rifle, i was getting used to the manual action after every shot. So when i went to shoot my XD, I racked the slide, shot one, then proceeded to rack out the next live round. Realized it as soon as i pulled the slide back.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:57 PM

I once tipped a shotgun over on a public range. The girl next door screamed in terror. I was embarrased for her and me.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:22 PM

Went to shoot on BLM land about an hour away from anywhere; forgot ammo.

Old 10-15-2012, 4:49 AM
Lifetime Contributor #1
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I made the hour drive to ASR, got set up, and discovered that I'd left my mags at home. Oops.
Old 10-15-2012, 5:17 AM
Calguns Addict

I brought a single AR mag, and like 500 rounds of ammo, another time I brought like 1500 22lr rounds, and thought the 10/22 mags were in the can, nope!

All mags for both rifles now live in the range-bin, and this also includes my range-badge, so I never leave home without them any longer...

Both times I was glad that I had more than one firearm with me...
Old 10-15-2012, 5:32 AM
Calguns Addict

l was test firing a friends Jennings J 22 (that he had been having problems with) at a indoor range. On the fifth round The slide shot forward down the range along with the recoil spring and the "takedown button" ended up on the floor near my feet. the gun had been assembled correctly and I was later able to take it in the desert (when no one was looking) and get it working as well as a Jennings J 22 ever could. but nothing is more embarrassing than taking the broom that is used to sweep up the Brass and reach out side of the shooting stall to sweep up your gun of the range.
Old 10-15-2012, 6:02 AM

indoor range dropped an empty mag down range. had to get it with a long broom
Old 10-15-2012, 6:07 AM

I took my old Mossberg 146 .22 rifle out of storage, cleaned it, and oiled it up really well. At TM for testing, I loaded up the tubular mag, but when I went to push the rod in it was so slippery that it shot right out of my hand and downrange. On the positive side, it actually hit COM on a 7-yard target in the lane next to mine!

Hopefully it's been long enough that the group of calgunners at the other end of the range have forgotten who I am. Their words were not kind... ..lol..
Old 10-15-2012, 6:52 AM

I was out camping in the Piñon Pines area north of LA, and a buddy and I decided to go do some shooting at this nice 200-yard range someone dug into the side of a hill. We were all by ourselves, so we could pretty much do whatever we wanted, as long as we were safe.

At one point I had left my paper targets and stapler near the block of wood to which I was affixing targets, so I didn't have to keep carrying them back and forth. After spending some time plinking at beer cans, I decided to attempt some rapid-fire shooting with my Glock 22C. You don't get a lot of chances to do this at a normal range.

Well, anyone who has ever done this can tell you you probably won't hit much. In fact, from 25 yards I missed the target completely with all of ten shots. However, I did manage to hit the stapler:

After this we had to set up more cans since there was no way to staple the paper targets any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknow View Post
I made the hour drive to ASR, got set up, and discovered that I'd left my mags at home. Oops.
Once after I took my M1 to ASR (over an hour from here, I think) I realized I forgot to bring clips! So I wandered up and down the firing line begging a clip off anyone who could spare one. One guy let me have a clip and I used that one clip for the rest of the day.

Last edited by Mesa Tactical; 10-15-2012 at 6:55 AM..
Old 10-15-2012, 7:05 AM

This last Saturday I was setting up a 100 yd target in a ravine at a local "rural" desert range. I could only go so far back up the ravine with my 4x4 and then walk the rest of the way in.

I set the target and when I got back to my truck, I decided that I would continue up the hill and then turn around and come back down to get out. As I started up the hill and realized it was too soft and I would not make it, I heard a friend yell at me, by this time it was too late, I had already backed down the hill over my extra large ammo can that had falllen out the tailgate I forgot to close. I destroyed the ammo can along with boxes of ammo, ear protection, my pride, and other various tools.

It seems as if my friend was not the only person that watched me do this stupid stunt.
Old 10-15-2012, 9:23 AM
Veteran Member

Forgot I had the bullets in some reloads jammed into the rifling...went to clear the action at cease fire and the unfired case popped out, spilling powder in the action and leaving the bullet in the barrel.

My friend and his Mosin Nagant cleaning rod saved the day.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:14 AM

Set up the Remi 700 in 7mm Rem. Mag. At ASR when I was not expecting the recoil sent scope flying into my nose and put a nice slit across it..walked into ASR office and asked the lovely ladies for a band aid. Pretty girl looked at me with a bleeding slit nose and said " 1st time shooter"? Sadly no , fired by mistake while trying to position rifle. WoW what a kick.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

drove to burro canyon from Fullerton with my AR locked and forgot the gun lock keys in my garage, had to cut the lock off, so embarassed asking for cutters for my lock

Old 10-15-2012, 12:19 PM

Very first time at a range, I walked down range stapled my target up and get a tap on my shoulder...."uumm hey that's my target stand man"

Old 10-15-2012, 6:03 PM
Veteran Member

A few friends and I were practicing some precision rifle shooting by simulating a competition. So we all had paper targets set up at 100 yards and one of them was a small "hostage/terrorist" target. So the drill is I stand behind the unloaded rifle and wait for the signal. Then, under a stopwatch, I get behind the rifle, chamber a round, and fire at the "terrorist" without hitting the hostage. Well, I did great as I drilled the terrorist nice and quick with a headshot leaving the hostage unharmed. . . on my friend's target
Old 10-16-2012, 9:11 AM

I decided at the last minute one evening to do a competition the next morning and the only place that was open to buy ammo was a Wal-Mart about 30 miles away. So I drove 60 miles round trip to buy my ammo, got up at 5:30 the next morning to be out the door by 6:30, drove the 80 miles to the range so I could register at 8:00 …. Just to find out that the competition was the previous day. Doh!

And the truly embarrassing part … I have done that twice!
Old 10-16-2012, 10:51 AM

I took one of my coworker shooting with my 1911. He racked the slide and pulled the trigger. Nothing happened. He calls me over to see what's wrong. I checked and he didn't have a magazine in.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:57 AM

I got another one.

Happened many years ago. Me my dad and a bunch of his coworkers went to an indoor range. We all jad our safety gears on and ready to shoot. One of my dad's coworker ask what is this soft foam for (soft foam ear plugs) my dad told him it's to stop him from inhaling the gun powder in the air. A few seconds later he stuffed two foams on his nostrils. It was a pretty good laugh.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaglipay View Post
I got another one.

Happened many years ago. Me my dad and a bunch of his coworkers went to an indoor range. We all jad our safety gears on and ready to shoot. One of my dad's coworker ask what is this soft foam for (soft foam ear plugs) my dad told him it's to stop him from inhaling the gun powder in the air. A few seconds later he stuffed two foams on his nostrils. It was a pretty good laugh.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:19 AM

I decided to push the rear pins out and dissassemble my PTR while the bolt was pulled back, and the recoil spring compressed. I've never seen a butt stock fly so fast...

Somehow nobody noticed and I just laughed while walking back to get it.
Old 10-16-2012, 2:19 PM

I forgot the mags to my 1911 last time I went to Angeles, that was annoying

Another time up in SLO I was ALMOST to the range then realized I left the keys to all my guns/ammo cans at my parents house 35 miles away.
Old 10-16-2012, 4:38 PM

Very very early days of me start getting into the shooting sports (16yrs ago). Went to SGV Gun Club (now closed), setup the target during line break and than go to my car to get my rifle out to put it on the bench during the line break... the ensuing screaming from RO was so refreshing I still remember till today. Luckly I didn't get kick-out right on spot...
Old 10-17-2012, 3:04 PM

Shot my 870 without tightening the magazine cap. I shot, the bird shot flew & so did my barrel. I felt like that soldier shooting the .50 Cal on top of the humvee on youtube.
Old 10-17-2012, 3:28 PM

I was in a high powered rifle match and I only had one mag. I had to run to the reloading room to grab the other mags during the scoring period
Old 10-17-2012, 3:33 PM
Calguns Addict

I was heading out to BLM land for a weekend of shooting, riding and camping. Had the trailer all packed up with food, guns, and ammo. I left my bag containing my change of clothes on the chair by the front door Had to stop a Walmart to get shorts, t-shirts, and socks. Oh....and bought more ammo.

Very few ever return.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFranko View Post
What don't you people understand?
Turner's is the "Pep Boys" of gun shops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
He wasn't banned because of affiliation, he was banned because he was a dick.
And frankly there are only two dicks allowed on CGN, ivanimal and me.
Ivan very rarely exercises his prerogative however.
Old 10-18-2012, 8:46 PM

Embarassing for a friend.

Shooting SS at a local match and friend gets up to shoot. In the first mag he gets what we thought was a squib or some odd case jam as the case wouldn't come out. After finally hitting it hard enough with the squib rod, it pops out.

Friend is looking at it in amazement and shows it to me. It is a .40 cartridge that he fired in a .45

Odd thing thing though, was that he only shoots .45 and doesn't even own a .40 or load .40 but somehow he put a .40 in the mag. Where it came from nobody knows. I figured he picked it up earlier at ULASC and just stuck it in a mag thinking it was his without paying much attention :dunno

Al
Back to owning some of those "polymer" guns.

They see me rollin'
They hatin'
Old 10-19-2012, 2:22 AM
=★= TRUMP 2024 =★=
CGN Contributor

Powered up an 1851 Cap n' Ball one time and thought I had seated the balls. I went to cap the nipples pointing the muzzle down and all the powder spilled out of the cylinder. lol

The 2nd Amendment Explained

Last edited by GOEX FFF; 11-05-2012 at 10:15 AM..
Old 10-19-2012, 6:40 PM

I have a winchester model 1200 and a remtion 870. Went hunting one weekend with the 1200 and the next with the 870. I drew down on a bird and went to pop the safety off and dropped the pump letting the chambered round fall out. The 1200 and 870 have revers safety and pump release.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:25 PM

Second time shooting at an outdoor range the RO called a cease fire to change targets. Everyone backed away from the line. I got a new target and started walking down range to replace my old one. I forgot the RO still needed to do a safety check and had not yet announced it was safe to change targets. Everyone including the RO started yelling for me to come back. I remember thinking it was odd that I was the only one needing to change targets.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:37 PM

1st time at an indoor range, had lots of friends from the city with me and so I brought mabye 5 handguns in diffrent flavors, between the ammo and the five guns the bench was pretty full and I ended up dropping a ruger sp101 forward off the table when I bumped a box of ammo on the front of the bench. The rangemaster laughed at me an told me to "get some more handguns up there!" Bullseye is pretty cool most of the time!

— Justice Robert H. Jackson
Old 10-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Calguns Addict

one time at an indoor range, i was cleaning up my shelf of brass casings, flinging them downrange. Maybe 20-30 of them.

well after i was done, i picked up my empty mag to start loading, and flung it, also, downrange.

don't ask me why.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:53 PM

I brought my marine magnum .870 to the a range (1 hour away) and I forgot the key to the trigger lock.

Yesterday I took my .308 AR-10 to the range to sight it in on some new ammo. I set it up on some sand bags and got the crosshairs perfectly centered on the target. I was so focused on the crosshairs being centered that I forgot to tuck the rifle into my shoulder. When I fired it slugged my shoulder so hard that I let out a feminine moan. All my buddies were laughing at me.
Old 10-22-2012, 1:10 PM
Banned

the first rifle i sighted in was my .30-06. i had no idea what the hell i was doing and was just making 1 or 3 clicks each time i was adjusting the scope. it took me about 110 rounds to get it zeroed. the target had this nice long diagonal line ending at bulls eye.
Old 10-22-2012, 2:06 PM

I was happily shooting my Colt 1911 Government at an indoor range. On the the sixth round, I did not hear a bang, but instead saw something flying out of my gun. The bushing sheared (the part holding in the plug) and sent the plug and the recoil spring flying towards the 7-yard line. The people at the next stall ask me what kind of ammo I was using because it "disassembled" my pistol in the process of firing a magazine full. LOL
Old 10-22-2012, 2:07 PM

Shooting clays with my buddy, borrowed his shotgun cause I forgot the long barrel for my 500. I never use manual safeties and he does, must have wasted 40 clays because I kept forgetting to switch the safety off after he'd pass it to me.
Old 10-22-2012, 2:39 PM
Veteran Member

You ever go to the range and see wooden target frames all shot to hell? Makes you wonder how anyone could shoot that badly. Well, that was me one time.

Several years back I had a Sig 226 .40 that I couldn't shoot worth squat. I took it to the Sunnyvale range and ended up destroying one of their wooden target frames. With each shot, chunks of wood were flying out of it, enough so that the other shooters noticed as well and looked over.

At the end of the session, I took my target back in and had to ask an RO where he wanted me to put the frame (cuz there was no way that thing was still usable).
Old 10-22-2012, 2:42 PM

I've forgotten to take the right magazines for the guns I'm shooting -_-