Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 10-20-2014, 6:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcon5 View Post
WW2 era, primarily, focusing on the nations involved. I have an example of all the major players rifles with the exception of Italy, simply because I shoot everything I collect, and feeding a Carcano would be a pain in the arse.

For the minor players, stuff I still want, but am not in a huge hurry:

Steyr-Mannlicher M95 (Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary, Italy, others)
VZ-24, (Czechoslovakia, Romaina, Brazil)
A Finn Mosin,
Something French, probably a MAS36.

On Edit, a M95 may be my way of getting a rifle used by Italy without having to feed a Carcano. Hmm....

I am not worried about fakes of the German stuff, simply because I don't care about original matching rifles. Well, that is not entirely true, I would love an all matching vet bringback K98, but I am just not willing to pay what they are worth.

You really ought to rethink that.
Carcanos aren't any more trouble to feed than any of these other guns, unless you get a 7.35, which is an easy one to reload for. Otherwise, Prvi Partizan makes 6.5x52 carcano and the 123gr sp load shoots great in most 6.5 carcanos. Hell, you'd have to buy funky ammo for a steyr m95 too, and it's more expensive. I'd sell you one of my carcanos but I only have 6 so I can't spare any They are really fun little rifles, you're missing out. I still haven't found a good handload for the 6.5 but I'm working on it. My 7.35 load works great though. Also still trying to make my 8x56r load better for the m95 but it's hard to keep up with all these weird calibers and I can't afford to just buy ammo all the time.

Seriously though, get a carcano, they're still cheap and fun. I like the cavalry carbines the best, they just look cool.
Old 10-20-2014, 7:10 PM
NRA Life member
CGN Contributor

I blame all of you in the C&R forum - it's all your fault!
And I thank you all at the same time.

I found Calguns after I bought my first firearm - a Glock for home defense. It goes bank when you need it, lots of parts available, etc. But if I ever had to use it in self defense the police would likely confiscate it as "evidence" and it wouldn't piss me off to lose it. Just get another one like it.

After finding Calguns and the C&R forum, I was quickly bit but the the C&R bug. I found the CMP and ordered a few Garands. While waiting the 3+ months for those to arrive, I got my FFL03, a Mosin, then 4-5 more Mosins, found sites like Aim Surplus and Classic Firearms, an SKS here and there, a K31, Enfield, 03A3, etc etc.

I don't have an AR and besides the Glock my only other 'plastic' gun is a Marlin 795 (.22lr) Wood and steal are the where it's at.

Lately I have been more interested in revolvers but C&R's will always keep my interest.
Old 10-20-2014, 7:14 PM
Calguns Addict

My interests vanished along with my hoard of smelly 1960 vintage S. African ball.
Old 10-20-2014, 7:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
Seriously though, get a carcano, they're still cheap and fun. I like the cavalry carbines the best, they just look cool.
I like the Cavalry ones too. So short it doesn't take up a spot in my safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfact View Post
I blame all of you in the C&R forum - it's all your fault!
And I thank you all at the same time.

I found Calguns after I bought my first firearm - a Glock for home defense. It goes bank when you need it, lots of parts available, etc. But if I ever had to use it in self defense the police would likely confiscate it as "evidence" and it wouldn't piss me off to lose it. Just get another one like it.

After finding Calguns and the C&R forum, I was quickly bit but the the C&R bug. I found the CMP and ordered a few Garands. While waiting the 3+ months for those to arrive, I got my FFL03, a Mosin, then 4-5 more Mosins, found sites like Aim Surplus and Classic Firearms, an SKS here and there, a K31, Enfield, 03A3, etc etc.

I don't have an AR and besides the Glock my only other 'plastic' gun is a Marlin 795 (.22lr) Wood and steal are the where it's at.

Lately I have been more interested in revolvers but C&R's will always keep my interest.
I like your thinking. I too bought a modern handgun as a home defense firearm. However, I WOULD be sad if it became "evidence". Beretta M9 that I put some wood grips on and it looks sweet. My only other plastic gun is a Savage .22lr that I don't care to shoot. After shooting military surplus, a .22 round is just so... dissatisfying

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThemBastards View Post
Judging from the last shoot I think we are the wrong group to ask about sighting in Mosins haha.
Quote:
I don't want dreamcatchers or AR crap, I want ugly old guns!

Last edited by Armistice; 10-20-2014 at 7:36 PM..
Old 10-20-2014, 8:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Evolved from 3 Mausers 1 Carcano 5 M1 Garlands 1 M1 carbine 2 Ariskas. Over the past year they have all evolved into cash and a few trades. Now I have 4 nice Ruger No1s a Weatherby OU engraved shotgun a Ruger Bearcat for the grandson. Also got rid of 8 modern guns. Bottom line thinned the herd put over $9500 in my pocket after buying the Rugers
Old 10-21-2014, 5:28 AM
Calguns Addict

I lost count how many C&Rs i have owned over the last 3 years.I will guess at 40. after a while i sell or trade most of them. Most of the fun for me is getting them and shooting them for a while. I do have a very few i bonded with and still have them.
Old 10-21-2014, 7:18 AM
Veteran Member

My interests change with my net worth.

I started out with a Lee Enfield No4 - this was the rifle I learned to shoot on as a Cadet, I was truly excited to own one for less than $100 - then I found an RC K98 - I liked shooting it more than the Lee Enfield.

I started to collect Mausers, Enfields and WW2 rifles, wanting one from each nation - this built a sloppy, disparate and uninteresting collection - with a lot of cheap rifles, most of which I didn't care to shoot or spend much time looking at.

I ran into an older collector at the Southern California Arms Collectors Association (SCACA) who explained the process of specializing a collection, into a more focused field, and making it better, more comprehensive and interesting.
This appealed to me, and as I loved the K98 - I chose pre-1945 German arms, I haven't lost interest yet.

I really enjoy the big buys, the large dollar trades and sales/purchases, it makes me sweat, lol.
I once traded every firearm I owned and nearly all the money I had in the bank for one revolver - I quickly rebuilt my collection, and ended up selling the revolver a year or two later for an acceptable profit - but the fun was in the twenty year hunt for that revolver and then finally finding it - not in selling it, I had just grown bored of it, and was too scared to shoot it - for two reasons that don't need to be detailed here.

By talking and meeting collectors and engaging in discussion, study, reading up (both) books and on the internet, my knowledge of the area of collecting I have chosen has grown at an amazing rate, and I am always pleased by my treasure finds.

Where once I bought any RC for less than $400 I came across, I now, don't buy anything until I see that special item. Whether it's something rare I wasn't expecting to find or something associated with a historically significant regiment, battle or incident.

I maintain zero interest in accumulating numbers of firearms, only fine firearms and their accessories, period ammo, paperwork, data charts, and packing cases, or stow bags.

Ten B-grade rifles do not equal a single A-grade rifle.

I would rather one special firearm, in my collection than any number of average examples - I know I am unique in this and mean no disrespect to anyone, it is how I choose to collect and I don't preach or expect to start any trends

Last edited by pitfighter; 10-21-2014 at 3:04 PM..
Old 10-21-2014, 7:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Carcanos aren't any more trouble to feed than any of these other guns, unless you get a 7.35, which is an easy one to reload for. Otherwise, Prvi Partizan makes 6.5x52 carcano and the 123gr sp load shoots great in most 6.5 carcanos. Hell, you'd have to buy funky ammo for a steyr m95 too, and it's more expensive. I'd sell you one of my carcanos but I only have 6 so I can't spare any They are really fun little rifles, you're missing out. I still haven't found a good handload for the 6.5 but I'm working on it. My 7.35 load works great though. Also still trying to make my 8x56r load better for the m95 but it's hard to keep up with all these weird calibers and I can't afford to just buy ammo all the time.

I handload, so it is kind of a wash.

For the 8x56r, Privi makes brass and both Hornady and Privi make .330 bullets (and they are reasonably priced, ~$25/100), and I may be able to get away with neck sizing on my 8x57 Mauser Collet die.

For 6.5 Carcano, Privi makes brass, but the only company making .268 bullets is Hornady, and they are a seasonal run, and are expensive. I have been doing some research and finding mixed reviews of using .264 bullets in a Carcano, some report good results, others not so much. I load 3 other 6.5s, so if the bullets I have on the shelf work, that would definitively be a plus for the Carcano. I have a Hornady neck size die for 6.5 which would probably work.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:08 AM

Evolved from wanting just one Lee Enfield, to needing a No.1, No.2, No.3, No.4 No.5, sniper versions, 7.62mm NATO versions. Then it got silly and I started getting related items. For example : Having the P14 necessitated the Model 1917 in 30.06, which led to the Springfield 03 and then a Garand, which led to a Garand in 7.62mm, then to an M1A. Which KIND of tied in with the L1A1 / FAL as a semi auto NATO rifle which in turn was appropriate for the aforementioned 7.62mm Enfields. The bubbaed No.1 led to a Sante fe sporter in .303 which led to Parker Hale sporter and a Lee Speed and then a Winchester 1895 in .303, which then needed an 1895 in 30.06 to keep it company (like the model 1917 did to the P14). The current 'evolution' is the apparent need for a Winchester or sharps in 45-70 to keep the 45-70 Enfield company. Purely coincidentally, my bank account has evolved into a much smaller state over the same 20 year period.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:29 PM
NRA Life member
CGN Contributor

The 'sickness' is to the point where I feel I need a Garand in 7.62mm and/or an M1A because I found some spent 7.62mm brass at the range.
Ahh, who am I kidding. It's not and "and/or" option, it's an "AND".
Old 10-21-2014, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

Started out as US firearms only. Then I bought a Mosin mostly because they were so cheap. I got my Hex 91-30 for $69. The transfer fee cost more than the gun itself, those were the days. I was starting to become interested in ComBloc guns but couldn't bring myself to spend any money on an AK or Tokarev when there were still plenty of CMP guns available, so it kind of faded from my attention. Then I took a course in Russian history in college and fell in love all love all over again with Russian/Soviet guns. So now my collection is about 30% Russian/Soviet guns.

Last edited by Army GI; 10-21-2014 at 12:40 PM..
Old 10-21-2014, 12:48 PM

Lol...yup, exactly. There is no cure...except more!

Quote:
The 'sickness' is to the point where I feel I need a Garand in 7.62mm and/or an M1A because I found some spent 7.62mm brass at the range.
Old 10-21-2014, 5:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTABIKER View Post
I have settled into a pattern of WW 2 and later Communist block rifles. I do not know why because their is nobody more PRO USA apple pie than me. I separate the politics and the weapons.
At first it was mostly mosins and i had no problem refinishing a stock unless it was nice or more valuable. Early on i picked up a pretty nice 1907 M 91 that i did not alter in any way.For a while i did not keep any C&R that was not in very nice condition. The first rifle i regretted selling because it was not a beauty was a 1957 Chinese SKS. I now own and like C&Rs that will never win a beauty contest but function properly. It ate at me until i found another early Chinese SKS in no better condition than the one i sold two years ago and i am glad i now have one dings and all.
I have owned all the popular WW 1 up US military rifles but sold all of them except my sported 1917. mostly because they are more valuable and are the first to go if i need cash . what is the point in selling a 125 dollar T 53 ].
I have reverted back to mosins, SKSs, AKs. Except for a savage bolt 22lr and a Mini 14 that is about it and i am OK with that. I do not have the passion or the funds for a large collection and i can live with that. Don't get me wrong if i had more expendable income i would have more C&Rs for sure.
So getting back to the main subject how has your C&R Hobey evolved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTABIKER View Post
i just can't get excited over Nazi guns, It is not about Hitler or anything like that. Swiss, Swede, Japanese ,British also. I think i like the simplicity of commie stuff. Maybe they are not charming or works of art but they work and are well made and that is all that really matters in combat.The less parts the better. Some look at the crude construction of a war time Mosin and think it is poorly made. Not so, it is one tough rifle.
I do like WW2 american rifles but they have become to valuable for me to enjoy shooting.I have owned nice examples of M1 1903a3 Mi carbine but sold them after shooting them 4 or 5 times. they were nice but i do not miss them.
Mostly i now shoot Mosin carbines and SKS . .18 - 22 cents a shot is what i like.

Wow, I feel the exact same way. I LOVE the SKS. I have a Finnish M39 that is awesome too. I keep some black rifles around just because of the unknown, but they don't really do it for me.
I like the idea of the m1 carbine, but rifle and ammo prices on those are just too crazy.
I do want to get another Garand (sold my previous Garands), but just to have really. They get expensive to shoot a lot.
Old 10-21-2014, 5:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcon5 View Post
I handload, so it is kind of a wash.

For the 8x56r, Privi makes brass and both Hornady and Privi make .330 bullets (and they are reasonably priced, ~$25/100), and I may be able to get away with neck sizing on my 8x57 Mauser Collet die.

For 6.5 Carcano, Privi makes brass, but the only company making .268 bullets is Hornady, and they are a seasonal run, and are expensive. I have been doing some research and finding mixed reviews of using .264 bullets in a Carcano, some report good results, others not so much. I load 3 other 6.5s, so if the bullets I have on the shelf work, that would definitively be a plus for the Carcano. I have a Hornady neck size die for 6.5 which would probably work.
Most of the later carcanos shoot fine with .264 bullets. the .268(which are actually like .266.5-.267) bullets seem to work in older m91s and the cut-down carbines which still employed the gain-twist rifling and are also more likely to have looser bores. The Prvi 6.5 carcano ammo uses .264 diameter bullets and the 123gr is a great load. They favor flat base bullets so the 139gr fmjbt load shoots like total garbage but it all depends on the rifle.

If you buy the LEE 6.5 carcano die set it now comes with a .264 and a .268 expander, I had to buy them separate but for now I'm concentrating on developing a load that shoots well in my 2 later 6.5's. I also have a recently re-assembled m91 cavalry carbine that may have barn-door accuracy with anything, being that most were cut-down gain-twist barrels.

And yes, I've used the Prvi .330 bullets, which are very high quality, as is their loaded ammo. Still working on my 8x56r load, think I've almost got it right.
Old 10-21-2014, 6:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
My buddy gave me a grip of 300 WIN MAG brass. Just went through it tonight and I must have 200rnds of brass. My only question was, "Trade, or buy a rifle in 300 WIN MAG?" Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThemBastards View Post
Judging from the last shoot I think we are the wrong group to ask about sighting in Mosins haha.
Quote:
I don't want dreamcatchers or AR crap, I want ugly old guns!
Old 10-26-2014, 4:27 AM
Calguns Addict

my first C&R was a 1944 Remington Rand w/ a Colt slide (that doesnt have the serial number engraved around the firing pin ). Truth be told it was an impulse purchase but I wanted it because that 1911 had history that I may never know and I was intrigued by that. Then came the 1942 Colt 1911 and my collecting didnt really evolve but im just collecting older 1911s now. Im just so intrigued by what stories they could share if they talked. All the wars theyve been through or idiots they have been issued to. I also find it quite challenging (in a good way) to try to properly identify M1911s (pre 1924). Which as you may know is tough between 1918-1924
3) Saltworks M5 upper/lower set