Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 04-13-2020, 10:47 AM

Default Airgun Turkeys -- redeemed

My son & I took a nice tom last week from about 10 yards away. My son's pellet hit the neck & passed clean through. He was shooting a P-rod in .22. The turkey didn't drop immediately so I hit it in the head with my rifle (Hatsan AT-44) and it dropped like a rock, again passing clean through. I've been using JSB ultra-shock heavies (25 grain wadcutter/HP) and have been very impressed with the penetration & damage vs a standard dome.

My son's shot wasn't the greatest but was still lethal. We were close to a neighboring property so I didn't want the bird to wander off & die somewhere else. So I'm glad to have been there to drop the bird for him. I've had less than desirable results with airguns in the past but I am now confident that I just needed to learn more about the equipment limitations.

For the P-rod, I'd say it's fantastic from 10-25 yards. For the Hatsan, it's more of a 15-40 yard rifle. I'm pretty sure the Hatsan could penetrate the chest cavity of a turkey if that's all I had. But a good head shot works best for a quick kill & an easy recovery.