Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 12-16-2019, 10:04 AM
CGSSA Leader

Default New FX Hybrid Slugs anyone try them yet?

So I've been seeing lots of new videos coming out on YouTube, featuring The new FX Hybrid Slugs, they seem to be very accurate and very expansive, on that note they are very expensive too, all in with shipping they are nearing $24 for 100, I placed an order for a few hundred and can't wait to let a few fly.
Any one else try them yet?
Old 12-16-2019, 7:37 PM

I just tried some over the weekend. My Continuum was shooting pellets great, tried some Hybrids, not so good in an STX barrel, which they are supposed to work with.
Then it started not shooting pellets well after a couple of Hybrid magazines. Thin maybe the barrel needed a swab or two.
Gonna try it again next weekend.
Tried some straight FX Slugs too, bought some sample packs, one in .217 and another in .218, neither did well at all.
Not bad outta my buddies Daystate though.
Stay tuned.
Old 12-16-2019, 8:04 PM
Veteran Member

.25 cents a slug is expensive?
Old 12-16-2019, 8:19 PM
Veteran Member

Just saw it’s for air guns lol I was thinking shells, my bad.
Old 12-17-2019, 3:26 PM

It all depends on the twist rate of the barrel. The heavier the pellet or slug, the faster the twist needs to be in order to stabilize the pellet/slug in air. If you shoot pellets great, then go to the heavier slug and get bad groups, likely the barrel has a slower than needed twist rate.
Old 12-17-2019, 4:55 PM
Calguns Addict

I wonder why they say it's only for PCP's? Maybe because FX only makes PCP's?

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 12-18-2019, 7:06 PM

It takes more power (air) to push slugs to the velocities they like. That's why PCP.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Here's some H&N slugs that are half the price of the FX slugs.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 12-20-2019, 3:37 PM

Those H&N's are true slugs, the hybrids are just that, part pellet, part slug. They will shoot well without a slug barrel, which is what most folks have.
Why buy a slug barrel if the hybrids will work? That's why they charge more, no barrel purchase needed for the most part.
Of course buying the hybrids for that amount of money, you'd have a slug barrel paid off in no time!
Old 12-20-2019, 9:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoman View Post
Those H&N's are true slugs, the hybrids are just that, part pellet, part slug. They will shoot well without a slug barrel, which is what most folks have.
Why buy a slug barrel if the hybrids will work? That's why they charge more, no barrel purchase needed for the most part.
Of course buying the hybrids for that amount of money, you'd have a slug barrel paid off in no time!
I don't buy it. They're the same weight, length, diameter, and ogive shape. Yet H&N's are half the price.

Old 12-21-2019, 8:53 PM

Shot a magazine full of the FX Hybrids today after cleaning my Continuum. While they shot well at only 25 yards, they were nothing to write home about. Pellets shot just as well, if not better.
A slug barrel is in my future I suppose.
mike
Old 12-21-2019, 9:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Shot a magazine full of the FX Hybrids today after cleaning my Continuum. While they shot well at only 25 yards, they were nothing to write home about. Pellets shot just as well, if not better.
A slug barrel is in my future I suppose.
mike
I thought the purpose of slugs was for long distance. Any plain pellet can do 25 yards. I would've tested them at 50 yards and 100 yards.

Old 12-22-2019, 7:23 AM

Hey....great idea....its tough to shoot 50-100 yards when the only option is 25. That's why I stated "only 25 yards".
Maybe I'll come over to your place so I can shoot further?
Old 12-22-2019, 8:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Hey....great idea....its tough to shoot 50-100 yards when the only option is 25. That's why I stated "only 25 yards".
And I'm magically supposed to know you're limited to 25 yards?

Old 12-22-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Wait for me im coming with.
Old 12-22-2019, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
And I'm magically supposed to know you're limited to 25 yards?
Well ya magically assumed that I had more space....
I do have another area that I can shoot longer distances, just wasn't available last weekend.
I'll give it a go next weekend and report back.
mike
Old 12-23-2019, 10:00 AM
CGSSA Leader

I shoot the H&N Grizzly out of my Marauder .25 they are not extremely accurate at 25 yards either, I probably get 7 out of ten into one hole with the others being fliers, however I have made several 110+ yards shots with them and you can see them track straight to the target, unfortunately the hybrids only come in .22, I'll report my results once my order finally arrives, on a side note I see that people shooting the new JSB Hades pellets are getting good to great results, my Marauder doesn't seem to like them at all, 1 1/2 groups at 25 yards is not my cup of tea when the Barracuda Match pellets usually cut one clean 1/2 inch hole at 25 and 50 yards.
Old 01-12-2020, 4:33 AM

I don't know if this will help anyone or not but I have been sizing all my pellets and slugs for some time it seems to work better and I also take a tin of pellets and weigh them in 3 categories, it may seem trivial but trust me it works that way you can pick the weight and always have the same weight pellet and it's already resized and truly round , I made my own dies for all my calibers , if you truly want accuracy THIS is a good way to start