Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 02-08-2013, 3:25 PM
Veteran Member

CCI Stinger is the best, IMO after trying practically all the various ammo.
Old 02-08-2013, 8:31 PM

I shot about 200 rnds of Federal Bulk 325 36gr plated HP's through my M&P 22 last night with no issues (aside from billowing clouds of smoke). So far my M&P has done well with everything I've shot in it from Remington bulk 36gr HP Golden Bullets to CCI Stingers.

I try to shoot CCI Minimags both 36 gr HP and 40 gr RN, but with the crazy .22lr shortage I'll shoot pretty much whatever I can find. Sure am glad that the M&P 22 isn't finicky with ammo!
Old 02-09-2013, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon0807 View Post
I have some cci blazer, cci standard velocity and Winchester hollow point 555 bulk box ammo. I'm going to try a few mags of each to see which one it likes the most
So I shot 50-70 rounds of each and both CCI ammo were flawless. With the Winchester I had 3 FTF's which wasn't bad considering I put through about 70 rounds of it. I lost count due to shooting my XD 45 as well. But I'm pretty happy with the M&P 22. It feels great and I love that I can have some trigger practice for cheap(er) compared to my 9mm and 45acp. As for accuracy, I'm not the greatest shot, hence the need to practice, but some of my groups were within 2" and others about 6" lol. I'm getting better tho.
Old 02-10-2013, 8:59 PM

[QUOTE=Jon0807;10462371] My only gripe is this thing was LOADED with grease! Especially in the take down lever part. I couldn't believe it. When I pulled out the guide rod, there was a big glop of it that came out with it. I tried to get as much as I could out but there's still tons left. Was all that really necessary?!?

I just got one last week and I finally got around to taking it apart and cleaning it. I was expecting it to be packed full of grease but it wasn't. Just a light coat. Cleaned it out, applied the FrogLube and it's ready to go.
Old 02-11-2013, 6:22 AM

Well that's odd. I did grab the display model but I don't think the lgs would pack so much grease in it
Old 02-11-2013, 6:25 AM

Mine was fresh from the box, my LGS is a kitchen table dealer and let me open it for the first time. It was packed full of grease. Every other one I have heard of has been full of grease unless the shop cleaned it for the display case.
Old 02-11-2013, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageDUG View Post
Mine was fresh from the box, my LGS is a kitchen table dealer and let me open it for the first time. It was packed full of grease. Every other one I have heard of has been full of grease unless the shop cleaned it for the display case.
Mine is likely a display gun then. I got it on sale at Turner's and when the salesman checked his computer to see if there were any left in the warehouse it showed one. He said another store could be trying to sell that gun at the same time so he pulled the display and put it aside in case someone else got the other gun. It didn't occur to me to check which serial number went on the DROS. When I picked mine up it came with more paperwork showing a serial number change but all said and done I don't know which gun I received.
Old 02-12-2013, 5:28 PM

Picked up my M&P .22 recently. Shot it for the first time Sunday. Shot high and to the left 3-4" first five. Was able to adjust elevation, but not windage. So it still shoots to the left. Couldn't budge the screw. Looks like loctite was used on the screw. Guys at Oak Tree suggested I call S&W because this seems to be a common problem they're seeing. Tried to call today, but couldn't get through. Will try again tomorrow.
Old 02-13-2013, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker55 View Post
Picked up my M&P .22 recently. Shot it for the first time Sunday. Shot high and to the left 3-4" first five. Was able to adjust elevation, but not windage. So it still shoots to the left. Couldn't budge the screw. Looks like loctite was used on the screw. Guys at Oak Tree suggested I call S&W because this seems to be a common problem they're seeing. Tried to call today, but couldn't get through. Will try again tomorrow.
I just broke mine in this morning. The windage was perfect but the elevation was off. Rounds were hitting roughly 2" high. It took six counterclockwise clicks to get the elevation in the zone.

Also got to shoot my buddy's brand new S&W Airweight .38 spl and the guy in the lane next to me offered to let me shoot his S&W M&P .45 (thanks Chris). Both were really nice to shoot even though the Airweight had about a 12lb trigger. I think I'm going to buy an M&P .45 very soon.
Old 02-13-2013, 4:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartero View Post
Mine is likely a display gun then. I got it on sale at Turner's and when the salesman checked his computer to see if there were any left in the warehouse it showed one. He said another store could be trying to sell that gun at the same time so he pulled the display and put it aside in case someone else got the other gun. It didn't occur to me to check which serial number went on the DROS. When I picked mine up it came with more paperwork showing a serial number change but all said and done I don't know which gun I received.
I HATE when this happens. I ended up getting a display Ruger 10/22 from Big 5, and a Sig at Turner's the exact same way...
Old 02-13-2013, 8:17 PM

Default Combination Trigger Lock? Any Suggestions? Please.

Ok, I picked up my M&P 22LR CA on Monday and the lock that came with it was not to my liking. It felt like it was scratches Waiting to happen. I purchased the Masterlock 94DSPT which fits lovely as long as its not in the case. If placed in its stock case its almost impossible to reopen the case. I had to basically sit on it to open it. Anyone purchased a Combination Trigger Lock that fits inside the stock S&W case?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:21 AM

Just purchased my M&P CA 22lr.... looking for another magazine (something that's not $100 on E-bay). Any suggestions on where to look?
Old 02-14-2013, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Anyone have grips on these? Talon, X-tream...?
Old 02-14-2013, 2:23 PM

My M&P22 shoot high, with the stock sight, should I turn clockwise or counter clockwise?
Old 02-14-2013, 3:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcw View Post
My M&P22 shoot high, with the stock sight, should I turn clockwise or counter clockwise?
Clockwise to lower it.
Old 02-14-2013, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomezFamilyMan View Post
Just purchased my M&P CA 22lr.... looking for another magazine (something that's not $100 on E-bay). Any suggestions on where to look?
No one has them. Called S&W. Rep told me I could backorder if I wasn't in a hurry. Said it would I was looking at 4-8 weeks. S&W price was also the most reasonable. Ordered 4 more @ $32.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...6_757837_image
Old 02-14-2013, 5:08 PM

Quote:
No one has them. Called S&W. Rep told me I could backorder if I wasn't in a hurry. Said it would I was looking at 4-8 weeks. S&W price was also the most reasonable. Ordered 4 more @ $32.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...6_757837_image
I ordered 3 from S&W almost 2 months ago now. I called the other day and was told they had no idea how long of a backorder...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-14-2013, 8:18 PM
Veteran Member

^Yeah, it was bad enough when I pre-ordered it last Fall. Even then I waited almost 2 months, can't imagine now. On top of that, all the mags are sold out and not even available for backorder. Good thing I jumped on them early.
Old 02-14-2013, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout323 View Post
Clockwise to lower it.
I think I've turned it clockwise all the way down, but it's still shooting high.
I've adjusted my sight picture to the point where white dot is at the lowest point of the rear sight.
Old 02-14-2013, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout323 View Post
Anyone have grips on these? Talon, X-tream...?
I have a Pachmayr Tactical Grip Glove on my M&P 22.

http://www.amazon.com/Pachmayr-Tacti...pr_product_top

I love it! It makes the pistol feel like an extension of my hand!

Some complain that it moves around as you shoot the gun. I put a couple dabs of clear silicone seal between the Grip Glove and the gun grip to hold it in place. That keeps it fixed in place, yet I can still remove it without damage to either the gun or the Grip Glove.
Old 02-14-2013, 9:59 PM

Quote:
If the gun shoots high, LOWER the rear sight (turn screw clockwise). If the gun shoots low, RAISE the rear sight (turn screw counter clockwise).
Old 02-14-2013, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I think I've turned it clockwise all the way down, but it's still shooting high.
I've adjusted my sight picture to the point where white dot is at the lowest point of the rear sight.
Then you've reached the max... try it the other way and shoot it with each adjustment. That's weird.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:03 AM

Thanks "kayaker55"! Just got off the phone with S&W and was able to order a mag. They don't know how long the back order is, but they said they were cranking them out and are going to start shipping back orders soon. I'm not in a rush for it.. but just glad to know its ordered. Best price I've seen for them too.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:29 PM

For anyone looking I just left Riflegear about an hour ago and there was one in the shelf.
Old 02-22-2013, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Gave up on calling S&W. Sent them an email re: my the issues with my M&P 22. They responded the next day. I filled out their return form. I had a Fedex label the next day. They asked for a description of the issues and any targets I used. Let see what happens. I'm hoping for the best.
Old 02-22-2013, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomezFamilyMan View Post
Thanks "kayaker55"! Just got off the phone with S&W and was able to order a mag. They don't know how long the back order is, but they said they were cranking them out and are going to start shipping back orders soon. I'm not in a rush for it.. but just glad to know its ordered. Best price I've seen for them too.
Glad you were able to order yours. Sent S&W my pistol in this week. Will order more mags when I get my pistol back. Fortunately, I'm in no hurry.
Old 02-24-2013, 7:09 PM

Since a few people were looking for replacement sights I thought I would post what worked great for me. I purchased a set of Meprolight Tru-Dot S&W Sights ML11766. Installed with no issues and was able to be zero'd easily. Purchase on ebay for $82. Nice and bright with 12 year warranty. Also added a Pachmayr Tactical Glove. Photos below:

Old 02-24-2013, 7:49 PM

Nice! Those sights look like a big improvement over the stockers. I use a Pachmayr Tactical Glove on my M&P 22 also.
Old 02-24-2013, 7:57 PM

I shot my M&P 22 with the Dawson Precision Fiber Optic's for the first time yesterday. A Huge Improvement over stock. The rear doesn't have height adjust, but it seems awful close (especially for as novice of a shot as I am). I don't have a clue how to "zero" the sights, I'm just going off of how I shot vs how I shot with the stocks (that were all high).

I was very happy, much easier to get on target.

ACM
Old 02-24-2013, 8:39 PM

Eyelawdoc, You were the reason I purchased the Pachmayr Tactical Glove. Nice of you to post that since no one had posted grips that could be easily removed. As for the Meprolight sites they are not adjustable as the stock sites but I took it to my local gunsmith who said he never installed sights on the S&W M&P 22 but did an awesome job [found out later] and sighted them with the install. He shot about 10 rounds and all were within 1" from one another. I shot it at the LA Gun Club and was pretty accurate within about 4" of each other but was always down and to the left. I thought maybe it wasn't sighted 100% as claimed until one of the employees asked if he could try it because he was thinking of getting one since he had an M&P 9MM. He shot 9 out of 10 in the bulls-eye and with one flier up and to the right. Moral of the story get the sight done professionally and then practice, practice practice. God I suck...
Old 02-24-2013, 11:50 PM

I just picked up my M&P 22 to go along with my 9, can't wait to fire it within the next few days. One thing I would like to do is black out the markings on the slide. I was planning on following the same steps others have taken when it comes to coloring markings however the markings on this don't seem to be etched in, they seem painted. Has anyone colored their etchings, and if so what method did you use?
Old 02-26-2013, 7:02 AM

Picking up my M&P .22 on Friday and have been looking for night sights. Is it difficult to replace they stock sights myself or should I have them done from my local gunsmith?
Old 02-26-2013, 7:14 AM

Picking up mine next Wed! Ugh, mags are so hard to find. Any luck with online places or know of any local places that may have in NorCal/Bay Area??/
Old 02-26-2013, 12:03 PM

GomezFamilyMan, I had my local gunsmith do the job. for $45 bucks he installed and zeroed the sights. Which was a good thing since I can't shoot for Sh*t apparently. Good to know its me and not the gun or the way I may or may not have sighted it. It is my first gun so maybe your a better shot then I am. Also CCI Mini Mags 100% not a single FTF or FTE. It didn't like Remington Gold or Federal Champion. Everything else was fine.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:06 PM

echopapa, I gave up looking... Its approximately a 2 month backorder from S&W, may be best to get inline now then search for a month like I did before getting in line. Just a thought.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:09 PM

Default M&P .22

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFNYC View Post
GomezFamilyMan, I had my local gunsmith do the job. for $45 bucks he installed and zeroed the sights. Which was a good thing since I can't shoot for Sh*t apparently. Good to know its me and not the gun or the way I may or may not have sighted it. It is my first gun so maybe your a better shot then I am. Also CCI Mini Mags 100% not a single FTF or FTE. It didn't like Remington Gold or Federal Champion. Everything else was fine.
Thanks for the info! Yeah I try to only run the CCI Mini Mags too. I know the M&P .22 has an aluminum slide so I didn't want to screw it up trying to get the new sights in! How do you like the Pachmayr grip you added?
Old 02-26-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
echopapa, I gave up looking... Its approximately a 2 month backorder from S&W, may be best to get inline now then search for a month like I did before getting in line. Just a thought.
I ordered 3 Mags from S&W in Late December and still no love!
Old 02-26-2013, 7:23 PM

GomezFamilyMan, I like the Pachmayr grips, Its a little annoying that they move slightly but makes it feel really comfy in the hand. So give and take. I got it really cheap on Amazon so can't complain its not a bad buy. I hear a lil silicone will make it stay but I like to remove it when I clean the gun and don't want to hassle with reapplying silicone every time. So if you are not as lazy as me this could be awesome. These are technically made for the 9mm / 40 so it might be a that it fits slightly bigger on the .22LR...
Old 02-26-2013, 7:25 PM

AmmoCanMagnets, I called to see what is happening with mine. They told me they were just getting to the back orders from Mid-December and that was about a week ago. You might be getting yours soon. Maybe you can call and find out.
Old 02-26-2013, 7:28 PM

Quote:
AmmoCanMagnets, I called to see what is happening with mine. They told me they were just getting to the back orders from Mid-December and that was about a week ago. You might be getting yours soon. Maybe you can call and find out.
Thanks, I"ll give them a call tomorrow and see what they can tell me.