Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 03-07-2017, 5:42 PM
Veteran Member

Question What is more accurate, and by how much: Bolt or Semi-Auto?

If the stock, the barrel's diameter and length, and the scope are the same, which type of 22LR rifle action is more accurate: Bolt or Semi?

If one is better than the other, by how much is it better.

Figure a $300 rifle, not including the scope in the price.

Thanks

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 03-07-2017, 5:45 PM
YOU are next!!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Easy- Bolt action.

Which is better? Define "better"....
Old 03-07-2017, 5:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

$300? Maybe a CZ 455 for bolt action, or a Ruger 10/22 for semi.

Bolt-action will be more accurate than semi, all other things being equal. But barrel and ammo make a huge difference also....
So a good semi-auto with a quality barrel and match ammo will outshoot a mediocre bolt action with mediocre ammo....

Personally, I would buy a Ruger 10/22 and practice until I good good enough to want an aftermarket barrel, which is exactly what I did....then I got an AR....
Old 03-07-2017, 5:55 PM
Pew,pew.....PEW
CGN Contributor

$300?

Get a Remington 510, 511 or 512.

Bolt-action.

Single shot, mag fed, tube fed.

You will not find a more accurate .22 for that price.

Do you see any precision shooters (Olympics, bench-rest, etc.) shooting a semi?

No. Bolt-action. For a reason.

The title is....."United States Marine".

Old 03-07-2017, 9:29 PM

Bolt action will be more accurate. Groups are 1/3 1/2 smaller for me at all ranges.

If you want something to help your shooting skills, I'd pick a bolt action.

A used Marlin 25n or CZ will do it relatively cheap. Then get some nice low rings and a Hawke scope for a great low buck setup.
Old 03-08-2017, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterb View Post
$300? Maybe a CZ 455 for bolt action, or a Ruger 10/22 for semi.

Bolt-action will be more accurate than semi, all other things being equal. But barrel and ammo make a huge difference also....
So a good semi-auto with a quality barrel and match ammo will outshoot a mediocre bolt action with mediocre ammo....

Personally, I would buy a Ruger 10/22 and practice until I good good enough to want an aftermarket barrel, which is exactly what I did....then I got an AR....
A CZ with a stock barrel and match ammo will embarress a 10/22 with a stock barrel and match ammo. How do I know? I have several of both. If you want to spray lead, the 10/22 is the way to go. If you want to shoot itty bitty groups, CZ
Old 03-08-2017, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcassonne View Post
If the stock, the barrel's diameter and length, and the scope are the same, which type of 22LR rifle action is more accurate: Bolt or Semi?

If one is better than the other, by how much is it better.

Figure a $300 rifle, not including the scope in the price.

Thanks
At first your question look theoretical, but when you throw in the dollars, then it appears you're looking at actual rifles. I can't think of any two rifles that have the same stock and barrel, with both a bolt and semi action, in that price range, except maybe the Ruger 10/22 Collector's Series and the Ruger American Rimfire:

Out of these two real-world examples, assuming stock/un-modified, I'd say the Rugeer American has the edge in accuracy, and is supposed to have a pretty good trigger our of the box, as opposed to the 10/22. The American, although tapered, does appear to have a slightly heavier barrel contour, so it's not a perfect match. Both use the same mags, so a close comparison in that respect too.
Old 03-08-2017, 7:38 AM

Bolt by far. If you want real accuracy, need to shoot match grade ammo that is subsonic. This type of ammo may or may not cycle a semi auto. With a bolt, no problem.
Old 03-08-2017, 8:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawHP View Post
At first your question look theoretical, but when you throw in the dollars, then it appears you're looking at actual rifles. I can't think of any two rifles that have the same stock and barrel, with both a bolt and semi action, in that price range, except maybe the Ruger 10/22 Collector's Series and the Ruger American Rimfire:

Out of these two real-world examples, assuming stock/un-modified, I'd say the Rugeer American has the edge in accuracy, and is supposed to have a pretty good trigger our of the box, as opposed to the 10/22. The American, although tapered, does appear to have a slightly heavier barrel contour, so it's not a perfect match. Both use the same mags, so a close comparison in that respect too.
Here's a video comparison of the two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlOuFNWTfL8

Also, if you're just looking for a plinker to shoot out of the box (and not really modify) you might want to consider Marlin. You could probably get a Marlin 795 and XT22 for under $350 (not including DROS and tax) and both are known to have great accuracy out of the box. They share the same stick magazine.

Last edited by choochoo; 03-08-2017 at 8:47 AM..
Old 03-08-2017, 9:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I wasn't sure how to phrase what I wanted to ask.

I already have 3 semi-auto rifles: Ruger 10/22; Marlin 60; Stevens 87A. I want a gun that is fairly precise (small groups), so I can practice reading wind conditions and range to target for less money (22LR is cheaper than 223 or 308). I was wondering if a bolt action would be more precise than what I already have. The more precise the rifle the less chance it has of causing errors in my range and wind drift estimations.

The $300 limit is all I want/have to spend. I know a bolt action biathlon rifle is very accurate, but those are very expensive. The 1/4" difference @ 100 yards between 1/2" group and a 1/4" group is irrelevant to me, but a difference between 4" and 2" @ 100 yards is relevant. Obviously, a $300 22LR rifle won't shoot 1/2" or 1/4" groups @ 100 yards.

A heavy bull barrel on one type of action will probably be more accurate than a pencil barrel on another type of action. If you took the same type of barrel from the same manufacturer (Marlin/Marlin; Ruger/Ruger; Savage/Savage; etc), but only altered the action which one would be more precise.

I already have a good Redfield Revolution scope and a set of rings. This scope would go on either rifle, so it shouldn't be a factor in precision.

I didn't want to compare a bolt gun with a plastic stock to a semi-auto with a wooden stock, or vice-versa, so I wrote that the stocks should be the same. I know a good solid stock is better than a flimsy stock, and there is a difference between a bolt action stock and a semi-auto stock, but I doubt there is a big difference in a $300 rifle.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

Old 03-08-2017, 9:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcassonne View Post
If you took the same type of barrel from the same manufacturer (Marlin/Marlin; Ruger/Ruger; Savage/Savage; etc), but only altered the action which one would be more precise.
Regarding your hypothetical, a bolt action is hypothetically more accurate than a semiauto. The reason is a bolt action, has a very short lock up time (the time from when you pull the trigger to when the cartridge fires), and a semi-auto has a longer lock up time. The bolt action just releases the firing pin, which is spring loaded and it travels a straight and short distance forward to hit the primer. A semi-auto has an internal hammer, that has to rotate up to hit the firing pin, which sends then causes it to travel a straight and short distance forward to hit the primer.

Generally, when you shoot a semi-auto from a bench, it can achieve good accuracy, because the rifle is being held steady by the support used, and its accuracy, from a bench, can rival a comparable bolt action. When shooting off a bench, standing, sitting, kneeling or prone, the quicker lock time of a bolt action will result in the shot being closer to your point of aim at the time you pulled the trigger.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo View Post
Here's a video comparison of the two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlOuFNWTfL8
The problem with the video comparison is that for the accuracy segment, they're using pretty cheap plinking ammo. At 35 yards, the American should be putting all of those rounds into one hole with medium grade target ammo (e.g. CCI SV). A better variety of ammo at 50 yards would be a better comparison.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:36 PM

Ruger American Rimfire is a good rifle for not a lot of money. Either that or start browsing old-timey LGS that have a used rack and look for Sears, Higgins, Stevens, etc. bolt-action 22. Most are tack drivers and will cost you about half of what a new rifle will cost. Most of them were probably made by Marlin.
Old 03-08-2017, 1:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

FWIW I have both a Ruger 10/22 and a Ruger American Rimfire. The bolt-action RAR is more accurate by far, but that is largely a function of the marvelous trigger. I've not owned many guns (including much more expensive ones) with as crisp and light a trigger as the RAR. It's completely stock, too.
Old 03-08-2017, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23 Blast View Post
FWIW I have both a Ruger 10/22 and a Ruger American Rimfire. The bolt-action RAR is more accurate by far, but that is largely a function of the marvelous trigger. I've not owned many guns (including much more expensive ones) with as crisp and light a trigger as the RAR. It's completely stock, too.
Yup, I've been eyeing it too, at the same time as I've been looking at the CZ 452 American. Even though the checkered walnut stock is something I'd really like to have, there's the other part of me that would rather buy an American made "American" instead of a Czech made "American", and from my research, depending on the luck of the draw, the Ruger may sometimes have an edge on accuracy, or at least be equal.
Old 03-08-2017, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyD View Post
Regarding your hypothetical, a bolt action is hypothetically more accurate than a semiauto. The reason is a bolt action, has a very short lock up time (the time from when you pull the trigger to when the cartridge fires), and a semi-auto has a longer lock up time. The bolt action just releases the firing pin, which is spring loaded and it travels a straight and short distance forward to hit the primer. A semi-auto has an internal hammer, that has to rotate up to hit the firing pin, which sends then causes it to travel a straight and short distance forward to hit the primer.

Generally, when you shoot a semi-auto from a bench, it can achieve good accuracy, because the rifle is being held steady by the support used, and its accuracy, from a bench, can rival a comparable bolt action. When shooting off a bench, standing, sitting, kneeling or prone, the quicker lock time of a bolt action will result in the shot being closer to your point of aim at the time you pulled the trigger.
Thanks, although this wasn't my question i learned something new.
Old 03-08-2017, 5:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarosa View Post
Ruger American Rimfire is a good rifle for not a lot of money. Either that or start browsing old-timey LGS that have a used rack and look for Sears, Higgins, Stevens, etc. bolt-action 22. Most are tack drivers and will cost you about half of what a new rifle will cost. Most of them were probably made by Marlin.
Thanks for the info.