Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Discussions of Faith
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2016, 8:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
During those times? I've often wondered that myself.
How did the Gospel go forth with effectiveness during those times and in that region?
Well here's what I've discovered.

#1 No matter how crazy those "churches" had gotten God still used them. Proverbs 16:4

#2 The working of the Holy Spirit in the lives of individuals should never be overlooked, like I mentioned before God will reach a person where they are at. Acts 17:26-27

#3 My favorite saved for last. Mark 9:38-41 God working outside the box.
I'll try to respond to this which cannot be fully done without insulting Catholics or others, and also violate the forum rules. I am only pointing this out because a thorough discussion by me would do just that.

We are contrasting Roman Catholicism and Anglicanism. Which held to and confessed a person being Justified by Grace alone through Faith alone in Christ alone? Is this not the Gospel you believe as do I? Is this the Gospel of Rome? Does one attending the Roman church hear this Gospel?

Are there Catholics that believe in a salvation by Grace alone through faith alone without Works? Yes, no doubt there are but they are the exception and not the rule and in conscience they should leave the church and attend another.

Whatever the state of the Anglican church is now the point is that it is? was? a Gospel preaching church. Here is Article 11 & 12 of the Church of England.

XI. Of the Justification of Man.
We are accounted righteous before God, only for the merit of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ by Faith, and not for our own works or deservings. Wherefore, that we are justified by Faith only, is a most wholesome Doctrine, and very full of comfort, as more largely is expressed in the Homily of Justification.

XII. Of Good Works.
Albeit that Good Works, which are the fruits of Faith, and follow after Justification, cannot put away our sins, and endure the severity of God's judgment; yet are they pleasing and acceptable to God in Christ, and do spring out necessarily of a true and lively Faith insomuch that by them a lively Faith may be as evidently known as a tree discerned by the fruit

If you were to read the Council of Trent on Justification you would find the anathema placed on one who believes the above. The Roman church has placed the anathema on the Gospel.

Last edited by huskydog; 01-26-2016 at 8:30 AM..
Old 01-27-2016, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
Read The Formula of Concord - the genius of even the second generation of Lutheran fathers is, they ANTICIPATED - and headed off at the pass - Calvin's errors... 50 years BEFORE there was a Calvin!
Calvin died 18yrs. after Luther, so how could there have been a next generation of Lutheran's 50yrs. prior to Calvin????????????

I'm still interested in a response to this question war wagon

Last edited by huskydog; 01-28-2016 at 7:36 AM..
Old 01-28-2016, 5:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskydog View Post
Calvin died 18yrs. after Luther, so how could there have been a next generation of Lutheran's 50yrs. prior to Calvin????????????

I'm still interested in my response to this question war wagon
Yes. The two were contemporaries. Luther referred to Calvin as the "Theologian". So, 50 years is not possible.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:46 AM

I spent 17 years in the Nazarene (christian) Church and never once herd a sermon on election. I enjoyed the video very much. Thank you for being real and honest.
Old 02-02-2016, 2:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeeeman View Post
I spent 17 years in the Nazarene (christian) Church and never once herd a sermon on election. I enjoyed the video very much. Thank you for being real and honest.
Unless your church was Reformed I would think they would discuss it unless it would be to compare and contrast.
Old 02-02-2016, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeeeman View Post
I'm glad you enjoyed it... My intention has never been to shove my Calvinism down anybody's throat, but to let them get a clear understanding . There are many who misrepresent the doctrines and then attack the misrepresentation. I'm not saying they all do and some who do understand will still repudiate it.

I don't know a lot about your denomination but what I do it sounds like a good orthodox church. I attended The Church of God of Prophecy until last year (My leaving didn't have anything to do with Calvinism) and likewise never heard Election discussed.
Old 02-03-2016, 5:22 AM
Veteran Member

It's very common. I was at a garden variety Evangelical church for 5 years. I doubt the pastor ever heard of election much less could tell you what it meant.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:00 PM

An interesting video to keep this thread alive. If you hate Calvinism don't watch it.
https://youtu.be/h3yZMlempDw
Old 02-07-2016, 12:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Calvinism

Quote:
An interesting video to keep this thread alive. If you hate Calvinism don't watch it.

I think you're the only one who wants the keep this thread alive.

(Insert disingenuous smiley here.)
Old 02-07-2016, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
I think you're the only one who wants the keep this thread alive.

(Insert disingenuous smiley here.)
This is the first time I resurrected it and no comments were made to keep it alive.
Old 02-07-2016, 3:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
This is the first time I resurrected it and no comments were made to keep it alive.

God is good.
Old 02-08-2016, 9:38 PM

Quote:
God is good.
Thanks for the snarky comments it really helps. If you check others have kept it alive not me.

Last edited by huskydog; 02-08-2016 at 10:36 PM..
Old 02-09-2016, 5:21 AM
Veteran Member

Is there something particular you Wish to discuss Huskydog?
Old 02-09-2016, 2:41 PM

If you hold to paedobaptism you can enlighten me as I'm rethinking my position.
Old 02-09-2016, 3:01 PM

Religion is one of those things and there are many disagreements and so forth. We all have things we think might be wrong other people do. I will say 100% I am not sure how any Christian could reconcile a vote for Obama. I know many will disagree, but that is my opinion and based on values I was raised by.

Anyway.

There are various versions of this song, but this one looked cool. Christians should heed the words

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okyEALTeKnM
Old 02-09-2016, 5:00 PM
Just Me
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I am on the opposite end, and do not hold to it. But you probably would already be aware of any argument against it, in maintaining (or having previously maintained) that position yourself.

ETA: Also I'm not Calvinist so my position may not be of any interest in the matter.
Mark 16:16
Old 02-09-2016, 5:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I am. It's just not a hill I care to plant my flag on. It doesn't bother me that others don't adhere to it.
Old 02-12-2016, 7:15 PM

Calvinism and Arminianism or something I intentionally do not talk about or even remotely bring up with the certain number of Christians I know. It almost seems like so many Christians want to convert Christian versus putting that time and energy into the lost. And the funny thing is much of the Jewish and Hebrew contacts is kind of been lost. Interesting when you actually listen to Romans being taught by a Messianic Jew, especially one who was trained as a rabbi. They seem to bring much of the Old Testament which was still being read, and which Paul was very much familiar with, into the New Testament. For example its nice reading Romans 9,10, and 11 and going back to Jeremiah 18.
In my own opinion I think much was lost in mankind's anti-semitism, even in the church. Divide and conquer, I pretty much think that's what satan was doing and has been doing all along.
Old 02-13-2016, 5:26 PM

I think RAMCLAP nailed it when he said this discussion wouldn't go well.

Last edited by glilon; 02-13-2016 at 5:51 PM.. Reason: clarrify
Old 02-13-2016, 10:32 PM

I went to a school called Calvin Christian in Escondido when I was a kid. Spent 5 years there, but was forced to leave because my parents got a divorce. Yes, I was no longer allowed to attend. Even still, Calvin Christian leaves me with fond memories, such as:

1) Being sick and telling my teacher that I wasn't feeling well. Her response was, "Oh, you're fine". I then puked all over her desk.

2) Being accused of kicking a girl on the bus. Bus driver and teacher yelling at me for a long time, then the girl walks by. Teacher demands I apologize to the girl, and she says, "That's not him".

I've got more stories, but I'll leave you with those because those are my favorites. Had I been showed a little more love, and perhaps if they allowed me to keep going to school there, I think it really would have changed my life for the better. Instead I had a really hard time, grew up without a dad, and without going into details can tell you that I fell away from the Lord and was very much wandering in the desert. I wasn't a bad kid, and I didn't deserve to be thrown out like trash. It took me about 18 years to step back into a church again.

"If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.…"
Old 02-13-2016, 10:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glilon View Post
I think RAMCLAP nailed it when he said this discussion wouldn't go well.
Yup, yet some want to keep on pushing their agenda.
Old 02-14-2016, 6:15 AM

I think RAMCLAP nailed it when he said this discussion wouldn't go well

Quote:
Yup, yet some want to keep on pushing their agenda.
I think it's been very mild as there has been no real debate. I've debated the subject elsewhere not because I wanted to push my agenda, but to defend my faith against attackers. I know what I believe is not the popular choice but my choice is not based on going with the majority but what I understand as truth.

If the thread dies, o well.
Old 02-14-2016, 7:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I think RAMCLAP nailed it when he said this discussion wouldn't go well

I think it's been very mild as there has been no real debate. I've debated the subject elsewhere not because I wanted to push my agenda, but to defend my faith against attackers. I know what I believe is not the popular choice but my choice is not based on going with the majority but what I understand as truth.

If the thread dies, o well.
Come join us on the Reformed Pub on FB. All kinds of discussions in there.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMCLAP View Post
Come join us on the Reformed Pub on FB. All kinds of discussions in there.
Thanks brother for the invitation, but I can't advance truth with those who are already in agreement with what I believe. In the past I've been willing to take abuse and hear the blasphemies and speak the truth in the face of opposition. If one listens out of a thousand my effort has not been in vain. If no one listens I have done what is required of me, after all it is God who determines the gain.

Last edited by huskydog; 02-16-2016 at 10:23 PM..
Old 02-17-2016, 5:17 AM
Veteran Member

There are many Arminians in the Pub.
Old 02-17-2016, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMCLAP View Post
There are many Arminians in the Pub.
I'll check it out.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:25 PM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

So if free will choice is necessary for salvation, then God placed over half the Earth in places where they will never hear of God. And therefore have no way to be saved. I do not believe that, that is I do not believe a good God would do that.

So if predestination is how salvation operates, then anybody in any land has as good a chance of salvation or not. I do believe that.

Salvation comes by Faith and Faith comes by hearing. Hearing what? The whole Bible? Not possible because every translation is different, verses in one translation or not in another.

So how much hearing is necessary for saving Faith? Perhaps just one verse or half a verse. Such small fragments of the true Gospel are out there in every time and every place. Everyone will hear the Gospel. Some will believe it, some won't. If they won't it because they do not want to believe it. They tell themselves it is not sensible or logical. Actually they just do want to believe it because then they are required to live certain way. Being selfish they refuse to. And tell themselves it is because it is foolishness. No it is not foolish, but it requires living an unselfish life. And this they will not do. They can do it. But they will not.

So the will does come into play, even in Calvinism and it's belief in a sovereign God who created everything and is responsible for everything he created.
Old 05-01-2016, 5:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darto View Post
So if free will choice is necessary for salvation, then God placed over half the Earth in places where they will never hear of God. And therefore have no way to be saved. I do not believe that, that is I do not believe a good God would do that.

So if predestination is how salvation operates, then anybody in any land has as good a chance of salvation or not. I do believe that.

Salvation comes by Faith and Faith comes by hearing. Hearing what? The whole Bible? Not possible because every translation is different, verses in one translation or not in another.

So how much hearing is necessary for saving Faith? Perhaps just one verse or half a verse. Such small fragments of the true Gospel are out there in every time and every place. Everyone will hear the Gospel. Some will believe it, some won't. If they won't it because they do not want to believe it. They tell themselves it is not sensible or logical. Actually they just do want to believe it because then they are required to live certain way. Being selfish they refuse to. And tell themselves it is because it is foolishness. No it is not foolish, but it requires living an unselfish life. And this they will not do. They can do it. But they will not.

So the will does come into play, even in Calvinism and it's belief in a sovereign God who created everything and is responsible for everything he created.

Acts 17:26-27

BTW the gospel is being spread all over the world.

Quote:
"Some will believe it, some won't. If they won't it because they do not want to believe it. They tell themselves it is not sensible or logical. Actually they just do want to believe it because then they are required to live certain way."
The funny thing about Christianity is that it requires that a person surrender their life and a lot of people don't want to do that (they will eventually anyway).

Last edited by Just Dave; 05-01-2016 at 6:00 AM..
Old 05-01-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darto View Post

1. Where do you get your idea and definition of good, and especially concerning God's goodness. There are many verses that tell us that God chose a specific people out of all the peoples of the earth in the OT....there He revealed (in a more full way) the true religion. At the time of Abraham, the whole earth was in pagan darkness, at the time of Christ there were even Jews ignorant of the true religion. It is true that some gentiles were blessed with the hearing and believing of the gospel (Rahab, Nineveh), but the vast majority of gentiles were excluded from the hearing. The peoples of of China, of the western hemisphere, of much of Europe were aliens to the covenants of grace. We have no evidence that people scattered across the earth (in ancient times) had access to any of the OT or even heard bits of it. The hearing of the Gospel is a privilege not a right and God will have mercy on whom He will and harden whom He will. Matt 11:27, Luke 10:22.

All the scriptures related to predestination actually deny that all are elected, or that everyone has an equal shot at salvation. There has been many babies for instance, in and out of the womb, that have died without ever being able to exercise their freewill toward salvation. They could not even understand the true religion much less assent to it. Perish they did. Were some of them predestined to salvation according to election? I think so.

Bible translations for the most part, even the less than stellar versions, relate the same propositions as relates to the testimony of God about His nature and the Gospel. And it is not true, unless you have some info to the contrary, that bits and pieces of the OT or NT are out there everywhere at every time. Did the American Indians in say 300 AD have a bit of the OT or NT before they were evangelized beginning around the 16 th century? I must assume that when you say that believing one verse or a partial verse of scripture is sufficient for salvation is hyperbole. The Gospel, whether in the OT or NT, was made up of many propositions, that if they of old or us now deny we can't really be saved. That's not to deny that God did reveal the truth progressively, but we must say that the true religion always had a core of who God was, and that salvation was of His messiah and that it was by grace through faith alone.

As for the place of the will in salvation, no Calvinist that I'm aware of would deny that man's will is involved in salvation. The issue has always been is there such a thing as "freewill", it's meaning and it's application. I think the bible never puts forth the idea that man's will is in anyway free from God, or that man's will is the cause of his salvation, or that man's will can thwart even the most minute detail of God's plan. Calvinists would generally say that the fallen will of man can never choose God, that God must first renew (regenerate) the will, so that this renewed man can then believe the Gospel, so that All of salvation from beginning to end is of grace alone, God receiving all the glory.

Roman 9:16 "So then it is not of him that willeth,nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy."

Last edited by TomMcC; 05-01-2016 at 2:35 PM..
Old 05-01-2016, 4:01 PM

Some of you may find this interesting, I did.

http://scripturalism.com/determinism...esponsibility/