Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 10-30-2014, 7:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Anyone have any luck with a pawnshop in OC doing this.

It's a long way to riverside as I'm in Dana point.
Old 10-30-2014, 7:24 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbapug1 View Post
Anyone have any luck with a pawnshop in OC doing this.

It's a long way to riverside as I'm in Dana point.
I've been hoping to find one in OC too... there's a gun shop in Orange that I discussed this with (for consignment)... never heard back...

I only know of one pawn shop (on Beach Blvd in Stanton) - but I haven't been in there for years and that was to check out guitars... I don't know how much they are into firearms...

if anyone knows an OC pawn shop that is more towards guns, please list name a location so I (or someone) can hit 'em up...
Old 11-14-2014, 9:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

There is the DROS correction form.. You can only change 1 feature, so if you have to change barrel length AND caliber, you can't use this.

https://des.doj.ca.gov/forms/BOF_958...012014_ALC.pdf
Old 11-14-2014, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhead View Post
There is the DROS correction form.. You can only change 1 feature, so if you have to change barrel length AND caliber, you can't use this.

https://des.doj.ca.gov/forms/BOF_958...012014_ALC.pdf
Also if you actually DROS'ed it as a .25cal with a 6" barrel it would be perjury to use that form. That form is for actual mistakes in the DROS process.

The information posted here is not legal advice. If you seek legal advice hire an attorney who is familiar with all the facts of your case.
Old 11-25-2014, 8:26 PM

I had my interview Oct 30. Detective said to bring the guns with me to the range day that I want on my card. Can anyone positively confirm if any print out or search is done at the range? I will have two guns I intend to have on my CCW that were SSE. If a print out or search isn't done that day it appears that the process has changed and the whole pawnshop/OPLAW form thing may not be needed anymore.
Old 11-26-2014, 9:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclerandy View Post
I had my interview Oct 30. Detective said to bring the guns with me to the range day that I want on my card. Can anyone positively confirm if any print out or search is done at the range? I will have two guns I intend to have on my CCW that were SSE. If a print out or search isn't done that day it appears that the process has changed and the whole pawnshop/OPLAW form thing may not be needed anymore.
I would assume that it is still an issue. I believe the point was simply to stop having guns brought into the station. I hate to say it but the only way to know for sure is to call. I would hate to get to the range with 3 guns only to find out I can only use one on my permit.(I'm assuming both your guns are sse'd as .25)

Last edited by Daydrmr999; 11-26-2014 at 10:01 AM..
Old 11-26-2014, 12:06 PM
On Everyone's Ignore List

After reading this entire thread, I'm very confused. I have some SSE's in my name and so does my wife. Calibers are not correct. Can we use the Intrafamilial transfer or would this trigger a straw sale inquiry? I would think it wouldn't since Ca is a community property state but we are dealing with the Ca DOJ here.

Being north of
70 has definite advantages: I was able to do all my stupid stuff before video cameras, smartphones, utube, and the internet.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:14 PM

I have it on good knowledge that finding a FFL that does consignments will scrub the SSE and .25acp off of the firearm. Its just a return to owner which has to be redros'd, 10 days later your Firearms are clean. Message me if your interested in going a diff route than Pawn Shop.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:23 PM

Any High desert Pawn shop recommendations?
Victorville, Apple Valley, Hesperia????
"Never leave your Cave without your Club……."

Old 01-09-2015, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldemar View Post
After reading this entire thread, I'm very confused. I have some SSE's in my name and so does my wife. Calibers are not correct. Can we use the Intrafamilial transfer or would this trigger a straw sale inquiry? I would think it wouldn't since Ca is a community property state but we are dealing with the Ca DOJ here.
Intra familier should work, but as you said, this is california. I would have transfered to my wife for mine, but I was less than 30 days till my range day and was not sure how long the state would take to record the intra familier transfer, so went the pawn rout instead.
Old 01-13-2015, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocClark340 View Post
Any High desert Pawn shop recommendations?
Victorville, Apple Valley, Hesperia????
"Never leave your Cave without your Club……."

Old 01-13-2015, 3:47 PM

Transferred to my wife. That corrected the issue. She kinda digs being the owner of a firearm. The SO had no problem with it then. Just needed a copy of my marraige license.

They do not run your guns at the range (only at the interview). They are checking for function at the range.
Old 01-16-2015, 6:20 PM

Intra-familial transfer took 4-5 weeks to receive the confirmation document.
Old 02-08-2015, 8:54 PM

I just looked at my copy of the DROS for my gen 4 g30 and the caliber(s) listed are .25, .45acp. Is that correct for the DROS to list 2 different calibers? I've heard that my IA will list sse on ccw but only in the caliber listed on the DROS. Someone said that the seller might have done my paperwork wrong and that only one caliber can be listed. What are your thoughts? Thanks.
Old 02-13-2015, 1:15 PM

Central Pawn in Ontario (http://www.centralpawnloan.com/) will do it and know the routine. $50 and 24 hour minimum loan. Seem like good folks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjfb View Post
Politicians are icky, reporters are icky too. Between the two we all end up feeling sticky and cheap at the end of the night.
Old 02-13-2015, 3:20 PM

Urackum - all my SSE were DROSED exactly as yours with .25 ACP as well as the original caliber. It wasn't an issue when added to my permit but YMMV depending on your IA.
Old 03-11-2015, 8:26 AM

My SSE M&P Shield 9mm in San Joaquin County was accepted for my CCW.

When I asked the DOJ for information on all guns registered to me, my M&P Shield 9mm came back as:
DROS Dealer Sale Multiple caliber gun Smith & Wesson Cal/888
Single shot Mod/ MP9/Shield

Qualification with this pistol shows 9mm.

My IA had no problem with this.

Last edited by shenecke; 03-11-2015 at 8:31 AM..
Old 03-19-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilinblack View Post
Central Pawn in Ontario (http://www.centralpawnloan.com/) will do it and know the routine. $50 and 24 hour minimum loan. Seem like good folks.
I'm going to give them a try this Saturday. Can't find anyone closer to the SF Valley.

Note: The SSE's I have are all from OC Armory. They are all listed as multi-caliber on the DROS, with the correct caliber and .25. Mike says this shouldn't cause any current issues but I'm not sure what the future holds. My senses tell me it's better to spend the $50/gun now and not have to worry about what laws may be coming down the road.

Being north of
70 has definite advantages: I was able to do all my stupid stuff before video cameras, smartphones, utube, and the internet.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
I'm going to give them a try this Saturday. Can't find anyone closer to the SF Valley.

Note: The SSE's I have are all from OC Armory. They are all listed as multi-caliber on the DROS, with the correct caliber and .25. Mike says this shouldn't cause any current issues but I'm not sure what the future holds. My senses tell me it's better to spend the $50/gun now and not have to worry about what laws may be coming down the road.
It won't actually cost you $50, it's going to be the interest on $50 loan plus $25 dros. If I remember right it ended up being like $37 total. Devilnblack did his more recently so he may have a better recollection of the total. Also make sure you check with them before you return tovredeem/dros, they stop doing dros at 4:30 or 5:00.
Old 03-20-2015, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydrmr999 View Post
It won't actually cost you $50, it's going to be the interest on $50 loan plus $25 dros. If I remember right it ended up being like $37 total. Devilnblack did his more recently so he may have a better recollection of the total. Also make sure you check with them before you return tovredeem/dros, they stop doing dros at 4:30 or 5:00.
I called them yesterday. The fact they are open both Saturday and Sunday is a big + for me, even with the drive. It appears they know what they are doing. I'm going to bring 2 or 3 guns, they said multiple pawn returns are OK on 1 DROS. Who knows, if they have anything interesting in inventory, I may also make a purchase.Since pawn returns don't count towards the 1 in 30 rule, I'm OK if I choose to make an outright purchase also.

The way I understand it is the loan needs to be in place for a minimum of 24 hours so I plan on doing the pawn on Saturday late am, redeeming the pawn and starting DROS Sunday early pm and then pick up in 2 weeks.

Being north of
Old 03-20-2015, 8:20 AM

Quote:
I called them yesterday. The fact they are open both Saturday and Sunday is a big + for me, even with the drive. It appears they know what they are doing. I'm going to bring 2 or 3 guns, they said multiple pawn returns are OK on 1 DROS. Who knows, if they have anything interesting in inventory, I may also make a purchase.Since pawn returns don't count towards the 1 in 30 rule, I'm OK if I choose to make an outright purchase also.

The way I understand it is the loan needs to be in place for a minimum of 24 hours so I plan on doing the pawn on Saturday late am, redeeming the pawn and starting DROS Sunday early pm and then pick up in 2 weeks.
Yes they do know what they are doing. They technically don't have to hold for 24 hours from my understanding, but they are not comfortable doing an immediate redemption because they want to be sure that everything is legit in case of audit. I don't blame them in the least for this.

If you do find something you like while you are there, you can also put it on the same dros. I picked up a nice walther p22 for my wife while I was doing my pawn. Some of their guns are overpriced, but then you can also find great deals there as well, as I did on the walther.

By the way, I'm the first one to do the "pawn caliber correction" at this shop, and explained to them the whole issue and why we had to go this route. If he is in and not busy, Armando is probably the best guy to deal with, he is one of the managers and is the one I explained the whole ccw caliber issue to.
Old 03-23-2015, 8:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydrmr999 View Post
Yes they do know what they are doing. They technically don't have to hold for 24 hours from my understanding, but they are not comfortable doing an immediate redemption because they want to be sure that everything is legit in case of audit. I don't blame them in the least for this.

If you do find something you like while you are there, you can also put it on the same dros. I picked up a nice walther p22 for my wife while I was doing my pawn. Some of their guns are overpriced, but then you can also find great deals there as well, as I did on the walther.

By the way, I'm the first one to do the "pawn caliber correction" at this shop, and explained to them the whole issue and why we had to go this route. If he is in and not busy, Armando is probably the best guy to deal with, he is one of the managers and is the one I explained the whole ccw caliber issue to.
Went there Saturday to initiate the pawn and back on Sunday to redeem and start the DROS. Couldn't have been easier. Took 2 guns and the total cost was $68.00 including DROS. Not too bad at all.

Armando mentioned that I was the 4th or 5th CalGuns member that he was aware of doing this.

Being north of
Old 04-06-2015, 6:41 AM

Picked up both guns Saturday, 4/4. No issues. DROS on both now shows only 9mm.

Being north of
Old 05-15-2015, 3:42 PM
Calguns Addict

We can now do this as we got the secondary license that was needed.
Old 05-15-2015, 3:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboosh View Post
Thanks Baboosh, he's a "go to" reputable dealer. Another option to the list.
Old 05-16-2015, 5:56 PM

Quote:
If anybody needs this done, I would definitely go to Baboosh. Unfortunately he didn't have the second hand license when I had to do my LCP.

Baboosh, does this mean you will be buying and selling used guns now, or did you just get the license for the caliber correction service?
Old 05-16-2015, 6:10 PM
Made in the USA

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
cost? and is there a discount for multiple?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
It only has as much power as you give it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned
I know some things about a lot of things - and a lot of things about some things - but I don't know everything about anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
GET OFF MY CACTUS!
-----------------------------
"RIGHT POWER!"
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w558/LBDamneds/Misc/III_zpsofbisb36.jpg
-----------------------------
Old 07-12-2017, 8:43 PM

Default Pawn Method to correct SSE and Caliber for CCW

Does anyone know if pawning creates a reporting requirement for a handgun already on the CCW permit? For my Orange County renewal, I've been informed that my SSE must remain in that SS configuration AND be 9mm to issue the renewal. That was not the case at the time of initial issuance. I'm considering pawning but not sure if its considered "removing" a gun from my list which has a mandatory reporting requirement in OC. To complicate matters, I am behind in reapplying and my CCW is expired which may have triggered the deeper dive by the deputy. So I am not even sure if a reporting requirement exists on an expired CCW that they have agreed to interview for renewal.

Bottom line, I don't want to fix the caliber and single shot issue but lose my CCW for failure to report if that is necessary.
Old 07-12-2017, 9:03 PM

Remove and replace it with an on-roster weapon? Like a Shield or something?

[dunno]
Old 07-16-2018, 10:49 PM

Hello everyone, I hate to resurrect an old thread but I was hoping for some additional and current information. Does anyone know of an Orange County pawn shop that is willing to help out with caliber correction on an SSE firearm? If not, is Inland Jewelry and Loan in Riverside still performing this service? I'd like to get this fixed before any other crazy laws get passed in this state.
Old 07-17-2018, 6:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sword69 View Post
Hello everyone, I hate to resurrect an old thread but I was hoping for some additional and current information. Does anyone know of an Orange County pawn shop that is willing to help out with caliber correction on an SSE firearm? If not, is Inland Jewelry and Loan in Riverside still performing this service? I'd like to get this fixed before any other crazy laws get passed in this state.
There's nothing special to it. Just go to any pawn shop that has an FFL. Then pawn your pistol for $20 or something and come back for it later to redros the pistol (pawn shop will dros what their holding the correct caliber) and you wait 10 days and pay the fees. Just make sure they don't sell your pistol or mess it up.

Inland Jewelry and Loan in Riverside already knows what you are trying to do as I told them what I was doing and expect calguns member to come do this very same process.

Regular pawn shop might be like pawn to borrow $20? Raise a few eye brows like what are you trying to do? Cause the Dros fee would be more than $20 you are borrowing and you have to return the $20 you borrowed him the pawn shop.
Old 07-17-2018, 7:56 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

My local pawn shop will loan you $50 on your gun. Come back two days later and pay $55 to redeem your pawn ticket and DROS the gun under the correct caliber.
Old 07-18-2018, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
My local pawn shop will loan you $50 on your gun. Come back two days later and pay $55 to redeem your pawn ticket and DROS the gun under the correct caliber.
Thanks for the response. What is the name and location of the pawn shop?
Old 07-18-2018, 6:15 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thanks for the response. What is the name and location of the pawn shop?
Just saw you were looking for OC, I am in the Hesperia area. If it's proving to be that difficult and you have to drive that far, PM me ahead of time for the name and call and make sure it's okay. They do it for me, I'm not sure if it's something they want advertised. I'm pretty sure most any pawn shop in the OC that loans on guns does it. When you re-dros it, it happens automatically.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
I did mine back in February at Inland Pawn and they were extremely professional and knew what was going on. I definitelywould not hesitate to use them. They're now on my San Bernardino County CCW.
Old 08-20-2018, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyshooter View Post
I did mine back in February at Inland Pawn and they were extremely professional and knew what was going on. I definitelywould not hesitate to use them. They're now on my San Bernardino County CCW.
Just got back from Inland. Jeff had me fill out all of the pawn paperwork, sign and thumbprint, as well as complete my DROS paperwork. I waited about 10 minutes and Jeff returned from the back with bad news. Their license (he didn't say which license) was expired but supposedly renewed. They were not issued a current license certificate and therefore could not enter my information in the system, nor accept my firearm. No money was exchanged and I left with the pistol. Jeff retained all of the completed paperwork and told me he would call me when their issue was resolved. Needless to say, I haven't received any callback and it was pretty much a waste of my time and gas.

If anyone plans on using them for caliber correction, don't bother until they fix the issue.
Old 08-23-2018, 5:50 PM

Update: Jeff @ Inland resolved the license issue and called me back to complete the process. He was very apologetic even though it was beyond his control. Anyway, they're GTG for caliber correction.

Also, the price has risen slightly to $50 out the door. $25 for DROS and $25 for the store fees.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Hey everybody, riverside ccw applicant here, with a sig p938 that got denied for multi-cal sse nonsense. Does the pawn shop route still work?
Old 03-14-2019, 5:57 PM

I hope this route still works, I need to do it as Turners incorrectly put my G27 as a 10mm. The fix suggested by Turners was to use the DOJ form BOF4542A, which thanks to this thread I saw didn’t work. Turners doesn’t have my DROS info because this mistake occurred 15 years ago, so they won’t fix it.

I called Inland Jewelry and they said they still do the pawn and then DROS the firearm. So I will be doing this soon.

Last edited by Spyrish; 06-11-2019 at 6:12 PM..
Old 03-14-2019, 5:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Inland Jewelry

Good guys, I had to fix a couple.

NRA life member since 1997
CRPA member