Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 06-21-2018, 4:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Geezus what a nightmare.
Can't wait til the next go around when I get the honor of registering my featureless rifle. You know, when the next set of laws comes down.
Old 06-21-2018, 4:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestargrizzly View Post
Geezus what a nightmare.
Can't wait til the next go around when I get the honor of registering my featureless rifle. You know, when the next set of laws comes down.
No more for me. If they go after featureless, mine get fixed mag. If they go after all semi-auto everything not registered goes out of state a and so do I shortly after.
Old 06-21-2018, 4:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestargrizzly View Post
Geezus what a nightmare.
Registering the first time won't be enough for you?

Newsom loves you.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Old 06-21-2018, 7:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsInMyEyes View Post
I thought on 80% you had to do engraving yourself ?

You need to be present if you’re not transferring it to the shop, but no you do not have to do the engraving yourself. You’ve manufactured the firearm yourself though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, SAF / CRPA / FPC member and supporter, USCCA Member
Old 06-23-2018, 12:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluNorthern View Post
Registering the first time won't be enough for you?

Newsom loves you.
Mine is featureless, not bbraw.
Old 06-23-2018, 1:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Here is another instance of registration kick back*

Way back in 2014, my wife DROSed a rifle intended for me and we both forgot it was she who filled out the DROS. Recently I tried to register it with me as primary registrant and her as a joint registrant. The DOJ kicked it back saying "The owner information submitted do not match our records" or something similarly vague. It's a good thing we keep all of our DROS papers. We swapped the primary and joint registrants roles and we received Submission Confirmation e-mails soon thereafter.

TLR version - Make sure the owners for SB880/AB1135 AW registration matches the original DROS.

* I think "Rejection" is not the appropriate term for these requests of correction from DOJ. I had accidentally transposed some digits in one of my rifles serial number, entering something like xxx2255xx instead of xxx2225xx. When my wife was entering her reg info, DOJ systems prevented her from submitting as that info in my CRIS differed from hers. I then submitted an issue ticket to them to cancel the one registration while at the same time submitted a new registration with the correct serial number. Now the incorrect application instead of stating "In Progress" states "Reject" though the DOJ comment section states it was at my request.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 07-24-2018, 8:23 AM

So I submitted two, one looks like it may be approved the other I got this message.

Based on the photos provided, the caliber stamp is not visible on your firearm. The caliber may be stamped on the barrel of your firearm. Please upload a photo of the barrel stamp using the "Optional Extra Image" option. Refer to California Code of Regulations, title 11, section 5474 (c) for more information: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...let-button.pdf

Both rifles are the same? I put multi cal and said in the notes they have interchangeable barrels and calibers. I dont want to commit to one and not be able to change it later. I'm sure they will print that it is 5.56 on the letter then if I change it to .22LR for the range and get caught they say I'm in violation blah blah.

How to handle?
Old 07-24-2018, 8:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffsbro View Post
So I submitted two, one looks like it may be approved the other I got this message.

Based on the photos provided, the caliber stamp is not visible on your firearm. The caliber may be stamped on the barrel of your firearm. Please upload a photo of the barrel stamp using the "Optional Extra Image" option. Refer to California Code of Regulations, title 11, section 5474 (c) for more information: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...let-button.pdf

Both rifles are the same? I put multi cal and said in the notes they have interchangeable barrels and calibers. I dont want to commit to one and not be able to change it later. I'm sure they will print that it is 5.56 on the letter then if I change it to .22LR for the range and get caught they say I'm in violation blah blah.

How to handle?
Whatever is marked on your receiver is what the caliber should be in CFARS. You can put different caliber uppers and such on your gun after registration, there's nothing in the law or regulation that prohibits that.
Old 07-24-2018, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffsbro View Post

How to handle?
Either both rifles are not the same or your pictures are not the same.

It must state "multi" on the receiver with a legible picture to be multi.

If you bought a factory made by licensed manufacture then somewhere on the firearm they are required to put the caliber marking. Usually its on the barrel, the Kel Tec Sub2000 has it on the bolt-visible through the ejection port. So if not marked multi and a factory made gun look for this. It is BATFE regulation so they risk loosing their manufacture license if not there. Take a picture of that and submit it.

If self assembled you may end up with something without a caliber marking. After 3 rejections I gave up on mine and changed to a barrel with the marking. After I get my letter the original barrel goes back on.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 07-24-2018, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

I got this for my 5.56:

Quote:
Based on the photos you provided, there is an additional characteristic shown on your firearm that was not marked on the application. Please refer to California Code of Regulations, title 11, section 5471(z), regarding pistol grip, for more information: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...let-button.pdf
And these two for my 7.62. The one is any easy fix:

Quote:
Based on the photos provided, the model of your firearm is BR-308. Please correct your application to reflect "BR-308" as your model number. Refer to California Code of Regulations, title 11, section 5474(b) for more information: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...let-button.pdf
Quote:
Based on the photos you provided, there is an additional characteristic shown on your firearm that was not marked on the application. Please refer to California Code of Regulations, title 11, section 5471(z), regarding pistol grip, for more information: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...let-button.pdf
I don't remember an option to select a pistol grip? I'll check it out tomorrow. Anyone have any advise for the pistol grip thing?
Old 07-24-2018, 11:38 AM

It should be obvious which features you need to check or uncheck. We can’t really help you without knowing what check boxes you checked.
Old 07-24-2018, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
I got this for my 5.56:

And these two for my 7.62. The one is any easy fix:

I don't remember an option to select a pistol grip? I'll check it out tomorrow. Anyone have any advise for the pistol grip thing?
ABSOLUTELY PISTOL GRIP IS A CHECK BOX!

I will let you borrow my reading glasses if need be but most browsers now allow a blow up option.

ALL OF THE FEATURES THAT MAKE A SEMI-AUTOMATIC AN ASSAULT WEAPON ARE LISTED.

You are required to check at least one of them to register, else you just have a FEATURELESS RIFLE.

I would say that 99% of the rifles registered have a pistol grip. A few may have a thumb stock.

Just reread what they are telling you to do

Rifle 1-Check the Pistol Grip box (you obviously have a pistol grip)
Rifle 2 -Change make to EXACTLY BR-308 (so matches exactly your DROS-also make sure you show a picture of this on your firearm or make a comment on why it is not on your firearm as required by BATFE marking requirements)
Rifle 3-Check the Pistol Grip box (you obviously have a pistol grip)

The CFARS is much better than at the beginning when they would only say please check as one or more of your features chosen does not match your photo and you had to figure out what the heck. Any improvement with CFARS is a positive step and should be commended and acknowledged as such.

Now just be quiet and go back and give the poor bureaucrat minion who has to look at pictures of guns all day what he is asking for.
Old 07-24-2018, 7:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
ABSOLUTELY PISTOL GRIP IS A CHECK BOX!

I will let you borrow my reading glasses if need be but most browsers now allow a blow up option.

ALL OF THE FEATURES THAT MAKE A SEMI-AUTOMATIC AN ASSAULT WEAPON ARE LISTED.

You are required to check at least one of them to register, else you just have a FEATURELESS RIFLE.

I would say that 99% of the rifles registered have a pistol grip. A few may have a thumb stock.

Just reread what they are telling you to do

Rifle 1-Check the Pistol Grip box (you obviously have a pistol grip)

Rifle 2 -Change make to EXACTLY BR-308 (so matches exactly your DROS-also make sure you show a picture of this on your firearm or make a comment on why it is not on your firearm as required by BATFE marking requirements)

Rifle 3-Check the Pistol Grip box (you obviously have a pistol grip)

The CFARS is much better than at the beginning when they would only say please check as one or more of your features chosen does not match your photo and you had to figure out what the heck. Any improvement with CFARS is a positive step and should be commended and acknowledged as such.

Now just be quiet and go back and give the poor bureaucrat minion who has to look at pictures of guns all day what he is asking for.

I was pretty thorough about what I selected. If I missed checking something so be it. The model number is bull****, but whatever. Thanks for the smartass replies. No wonder I hate this state and the people that reside in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2018, 9:51 AM

Finally got a response on my utility bill issue with the DOJ, apparently they just cannot read.