Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Turner's Outdoorsman
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 6:46 AM

Default proof of residency

anyone used a rental/lease agreement for proof of residency? does it need to be notarized? experience at the san bernardino or corona store specifically
Old 03-12-2013, 7:40 AM

If your drivers license has the correct address on it, then a copy of a current (not expired) lease agreement is fine. Just make sure that you bring the complete agreement and that it has all signatures.
Old 03-12-2013, 7:58 AM

Actually let me clarify that. My current address does not much my drivers license since its my parents address. I was thinking ill print one of those rent agreement form online and just have my parents sign it. just wondering if that would work.
Old 03-13-2013, 7:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusk View Post
Actually let me clarify that. My current address does not much my drivers license since its my parents address. I was thinking ill print one of those rent agreement form online and just have my parents sign it. just wondering if that would work.
Yeah, the right thing to do is have your parents lie about your place of residence and then in turn, you lie about it on a signed federal form. Brilliant!
Old 03-12-2013, 9:03 AM

ya that should work just fine.
Old 03-12-2013, 5:57 PM

If your drivers license doesn't have your current address, then you need another government issued document to correct it - property tax bill, voter registration card, etc. Best bet is to go to the DMV and pay $5 for a license info request sheet with your new address. Otherwise you'll be out of luck, a lease agreement won't do you any good to correct your drivers license.

If your car registration has your current address on it that will both correct your drivers license and act as residency.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabian722 View Post
ya that should work just fine.
Not true. Dont spread false info.

OP, if you read the 4473, on the federal level, you need to have a government issued document to supplement your ID if your ID does NOT have the current address.

example of a government doc, vehicle registration, DMV H6, property tax statement, government utilities, CCW, guard car (california seal), hell even a cosmotology license will work.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:14 PM

From OAG web site:

What identification is required for a person to purchase a firearm?

Clear evidence of identity and age is defined as a valid California driver's license or a valid California Identification Card issued by the DMV. Military identification is also acceptable if accompanied by permanent duty station orders indicating a posting in California, but the dealer must retain copies of both documents.

Temporary driver licenses and temporary identification cards (issued without photo) are not accepted forms of proof of identity and age.

(PC section 12071(c)(1))

What happens if there is a problem with the purchaser's driver's license?

If DROS information conflicts with the DMV driver license files or if the license is suspended or invalid, the DOJ will cancel the transaction and notify the firearms dealer. The purchaser should contact DMV to correct or update information in DMV's files. Once the DMV problem has been cleared, a new DROS may be initiated.

(PC section 12071(b)(3)(B))

What is the process for purchasing a firearm in California?

All firearms purchases and transfers, including private party transactions and sales at gun shows, must be made through a licensed dealer under the Dealer Record of Sale (DROS) process. California imposes a 10-day waiting period before a firearm can be released to a buyer or transferee. A person must be at least 18 years of age to purchase a rifle or shotgun. To buy a handgun, a person must be at least 21 years of age, and either 1) possess an HSC plus successfully complete a safety demonstration with the handgun being purchased or 2) qualify for an HSC exemption.

As part of the DROS process, the buyer must present "clear evidence of identity and age" which is defined as a valid, non-expired California Driver's License or Identification Card issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles. A military identification accompanied by permanent duty station orders indicating a posting in California is also acceptable.

If the buyer is not a U.S. Citizen, then he or she is required to demonstrate that he or she is legally within the United States by providing to the firearms dealer with documentation that contains his/her Alien Registration Number or I-94 Number.

Purchasers of handguns are also required to provide proof of California residency, such as a utility bill, residential lease, property deed, or government-issued identification (other than a drivers license or other DMV-issued identification).

(PC Section 12071)

"I want the truth! - You can't handle the truth!" -A Few Good Men (1992)
Old 03-13-2013, 3:16 PM

college student
Old 03-16-2013, 9:53 PM

my drivers license has my old address so they told me i could use my car registration with my current address on it, the document must have the california seal on it

ordered my gun yesterday

Last edited by adchrome; 03-16-2013 at 9:57 PM..
Old 03-17-2013, 10:05 AM

from what I've seen with recent cases in the news, FFL typically gets a slap on the wrist if they followed the rules to the best of their abilities.

on the other hand, buyers who lied on their paperwork typically looking at serious fine and jail time. some of these cases come up years after the purchases were made.
Old 03-18-2013, 7:09 PM

I've gone the rental agreement route in the past and it has worked. Just print one out and have your parents or whoever you live with sign it. In my experiences it didn't need to be notarized. Once you have that you can go onto the license part as the rental agreement provides proof of residency.

If your current address and the address on your license don't match then you need to first change the address the DMV has on file. You can do it online for free I believe. After that you need to go to the DMV and get a printout of your drivers license record that will show your updated address; you could instead opt to just get a new license with the updated information as well. It costs I believe 5-10 bucks for the printout, not sure about a new license.

As long as the address on your rental agreement, and license (or DMV records printout) match you should be fine.
Old 03-18-2013, 7:59 PM

I just moved, and stopped by the DMV and picked up a DL 43, just took a couple of minutes. I have heard from some here that it will not be accepted as proof of address, but I have had no problems.

Romans 1:16 - 32

Old 03-24-2013, 1:24 PM

would a pink slip work?
Old 03-24-2013, 1:31 PM

Car registration works.
Or...loophole..all depends on ffl, it might work or it might not..it worked for me at big5 buying a shotgun..go buy a one day fishing license..it has a CA seal on it.
Old 03-24-2013, 2:10 PM

Spy
They haven't been pink since 1988.
dc
Old 03-24-2013, 2:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David13 View Post
Spy
They haven't been pink since 1988.
dc
OT: Looking at my Certificate of Title right now and it is indeed pink with a blue border.